Holiday Retirement Community Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Lilly Donohue

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • upper management doesn't know what each author is doing (in 102 reviews)

• extremely long hours for those who are salaried (60 (in 63 reviews)

"Community Manager"

Former Contractor - Community Manager
    Former Contractor - Community Manager

I worked at Holiday Retirement as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Working with residents!!! Regional Manager was a great advocate for our community with corporate.

Cons

Corporate placed priority on profit over resident and staff satisfaction. Low wages created high turnover.

Advice to Management

Restructure, raise wages and invest in the improvement of the communities for residents.

"Open your eyes"

Former Employee - Lead Community Manager in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Lead Community Manager in Knoxville, TN

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Helping and working with the seniors was a heart warming experience.

Cons

Upper management needs to listen to your managers, our job was very stressful but you never listened, all you care about is the bottom line, booking tours, raising rents and working us 60 to 70 hours per week, we had a right to our days off but were so tired had no strength to do anything but sleep.

Advice to Management

All RD's should be expected to know shat it is like to run a community, not just come to the community for a couple hours then leave, open your eyes before it is to late!

"Community Co-Manager"

Former Employee - Community Co-Manager in Olympia, WA
    Former Employee - Community Co-Manager in Olympia, WA

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working with seniors/ compassion - housing

Cons

Company focus is on making money - little concern for resident satisfaction

Advice to Management

Quit trying to recruit new residents by telling them you care about them

"Community Property & Operations Manager"

Current Employee - Community Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Community Manager in Portland, OR

Pros

Working with seniors like walking history books

Cons

Dysfunctional upper management. Accountability is a one way street. Failure to serve best interests of their customers that would naturally result in higher occupancy and profits. They make decisions only for profits and have abusive rent increases of up to 7% per year when that increase can not be justified pressing what the market will bear. Unethical in their dealings with customers and staff that while they say no working off the clock many employees are forced to work off the clock because they care or to meet unreasonable timelines or cut corners etc

Advice to Management

Stop the lip service and genuinely focus on serving the customers to achieve 100% occupancy with less marketing and higher profits. Genuinely listen to the people in the trenches rather than just looking for "Yes" people. Take a look in the glassdoor mirror and hold themselves mutually accountable

"What Could Have Been"

Current Employee - Community Manager

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Holiday Retirement, to put it simply, is in a transitional period right now. I could provide you with Pros about this job in the context of the structure of the company before the recent changes, but to attempt to list pros about the new structure would be dishonest.

The only real pro I can list with any honesty is getting to know some of the residents who live at these communities. Every other aspect of this job will turn sour and any joy you can derive from it will be robbed from you.

Cons

1. The pay is mediocre. Compare average salaries for comparable duties/titles in the industry and you'll find the salary of a Holiday Community Manager to be below the low end of average. This was excused because on-site housing was provided along with meals. Those things are now gone, but the pay remains well below average.

2. Upper Management: I've known a few Regional Directors, a few District Maintenance Directors a few Area Maintenance Directors, a few Regional Sales Directors, etc. As with most things, some of these people have been good people. But be warned: This company will not stand by you. No matter how much they talk about it, or how much they preach it, you will not receive the "Holiday Touch". You will be thrown under the bus, you will be the fall guy when anything goes wrong, and GOD FORBID you be the wrong gender! HR will ignore inconvenient evidence, RD's will look out for themselves alone, and there will be no one to help you should you end up the target of someone's ire.

---

The stories you see here, the negative ones, are true. I have the benefit of having had a mixed experience here. Not all of my employment with Holiday has been terrible. But I can vouch for those that have said it is. In fact, we recommended this job to some friends and they were dragged completely through the mud and abused with exactly 0 help from upper management. Everyone is covering their butt out of fear of the executive team. If you try to have any sort of integrity you will be a target. Only the dishonest prevail in this company.

There is no fairness, or impartial/unbiased judgments. This position is constantly a game of staying on the good side of the people with power, but not by doing the right thing. The only thing that guarantees your success here is painting a pretty picture and finding someone to pin your mistakes on. If you can do that, and you don't mind being jerked around, or being laid off, or having your job eliminated, or being forced to move in and then forced to move out, or being underpaid, you will love it here.

Advice to Management

Where to start... Put your money where your mouth is. Either run this company the way you say you will, or stop blowing smoke. We all know what runs the operation here: Fear. If you're serious about making a company that treats their employees well, you can't fake it - faking it will fail eventually.

You also need to be more involved. With the way the regions are structured, any complaint that goes up to the RD is almost totally without context or evidence of any kind. Because the RD's are hardly ever in the communities, and because MOST of them have never even ran a community, they are left sorely equipped to handle any issues. They're flying by the seat of their pants in between 1,000,000 conference calls, constant fire-breathing from the executive team, and thousands of pounds of proverbial trash from employees looking to cover their butts. Profits are essential to running a company, but there are other ways of turning a profit besides alienating your customers and employees with rapid change and half-baked implementation.

"Make no mistake, it is all about occupancy."

Former Employee - Lead Community Manager in Redding, CA
    Former Employee - Lead Community Manager in Redding, CA

I worked at Holiday Retirement (Less than a year)

Pros

As so many have stated, working with seniors can be incredibly rewarding (non-paycheck benefits). The residents make each day different, interesting, and worthwhile. Our associates were dedicated, committed, and driven by more than money to do a great job.

Cons

This company is 100% about revenue, your desire to serve seniors is not relevant to your superiors. Believe me, every contact you have with your regionals or anyone from corporate will apply pressure for MORE CALLS, MORE TOURS, MORE LEASES! WOO-HOO! Micro-managing regionals will inundate you every day (yes, every day) with e-mails, conference calls, and personal calls to tell you to make more calls. How many tours have you booked? Who are your hot leads? Did you take them cookies? Are you stalking them at their homes? Hiding in their bushes? The two happiest days I've had with Holiday Retirement were my first day of training and my last day working for this meat grinder.

Advice to Management

Where to begin? It is a culture of nonstop sales pressure and that will not change anytime soon. Regionals are truly out of touch and do not understand what it takes to run a successful community. It really seems that the dedication to serve seniors stops once you go above the community level, and the regionals I met were all cut from the same snakeskin cloth.

"Manager"

Former Employee - Community Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Community Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time

Pros

The ability to build relationships with Residents and staff.

Cons

The company continually tries to increase occupancy-added one or two Community Sales Leaders per Community, paying them a greater salary than CMs plus a pretty generous bonus plan. It feels like a high pressure Vacation Resort marketing plan. Lighten up on the Sales Process and concentrate on retention

Advice to Management

If you want to increase occupancy, do 3 things:
    1. Invest in current Residents. They're the best (or worst) advertising you can get.
    2. Invest in Community Staff - Not Just Lip service or wow points. Give substantial merit bonuses for demonstrating the Holiday Touch.
    3. Listen to Management Teams - Day to day ops can't be supervised from a Corporate conference table or a conference call.
    BTW - give current employees opportunity for promotion to positions in Regional, District and Corporate levels.

"Community Manager"

Former Employee - Community Manager in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Community Manager in Des Moines, IA

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Helping the residents live a meaningful life the best you can.

Cons

Short notice to all management changes. In the dark like a mushroom. Losing your apartment in under 30 days to move and find one asap. Guess what? There will be no more live in managers anywhere for this company. Many residents families are pulling their loved ones out.

Advice to Management

Care what you are doing with our lives after we have given our all to you for years.

"G M"

Former Employee - Community Manager in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Community Manager in Knoxville, TN

Pros

Residents are great and want attention

Cons

Upper management doesn't listen. When you are having problems with staff and go to your R D they tell you to go to employee relations.

Advice to Management

Listen to your G M's.

"Great People - Terrible Upper Management"

Current Employee - Community Manager

Pros

The residents, The residents, The residents.

Cons

-Executive Team thinks that their ideas are fresh and new, but alas, they are just cyclical.
    - Managers are not treated much better than Co-managers
    - Co-managers are being eliminated - they are the backbone of the company, but are being eliminated.
    - Pay for management is poor to fair at best

Advice to Management

Now, you have no reason to stand out from the crowd and you are just the norm. The creators of the company are just shaking their heads in disgust. The investors will soon realize they have made a mistake with the current management style, as it has been shown to function poorly in large business models. Good luck Lily, I'm sure your intentions are good, although misdirected.