Holiday Retirement Reviews | Glassdoor

2.4
Lilly Donohue

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Complete disconnect between upper management and what happens day to day at the community level" (in 115 reviews)

• "Long hours during month end close but only for a couple days" (in 69 reviews)

"Sales Leader"

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time

Pros

The company's first priority is to help older adults live better and remain independent for as long as possible.
    The pay is good. And they equip you with tools to succeed

Cons

Having to work on weekends

2. "Wonderful Company!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winter Park, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winter Park, FL

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than a year)

Pros

We care about the mission of helping older people live better! My team works together very well to solve problems.

Cons

With over 260 communities nationwide, the Support Center works very hard to respond to inquires efficiently and it can be frustrating when we miss things.

Advice to Management

Keep up the positive energy!

3. "Assistant General Manager"

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Helping seniors live happy healthy lives

Cons

Disconnect between the corporate office and the communities and the true needs.

Advice to Management

Hire. Middle and senior management that has served in a Holiday community for a year before being place in a regional or corporate position.

Mar 11, 2019

Thank you for being a part of the Holiday team. We appreciate the balanced advice and are focusing on more hands on experiences for leadership.

"Lots of room for improvement"

Former Employee - General Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - General Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunities to make a difference in someone's life everyday. Making relationships with some amazing Seniors.

Cons

Working in a corporate environment that always seemed to operate on a reactive rather than proactive style.

Advice to Management

Companies that fail to invest in their buildings and associates while increasing annual rents to the residents tend to have low occupancy. When residents sense that the focus is Profit, not resident satisfaction, they will not stay or refer their friends.

"Perception is Reality"

Current Employee - Assistant General Manager in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant General Manager in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The only reason to work at Holiday is to make a positive difference in the lives of our senior generations. Self-fulfillment, monetary gain and work life balance are not usually part of the deal.

Cons

Corporate executives could improve the perception of their professionalism to the workforce. Respect is a one-way street. 8Work strategies, methods and programs are changed a lot without devoting enough time and effort to fully execute any new initiatives. Things are so fickle it's important to check the revision dates of documents and information found on the company's Intranet "HUB".

Advice to Management

Polish up a little and look how executives are supposed to look when presenting to the entire company. If I had a meeting with the CEO, I would wear something especially nice and professional. My hair would be fixed and makeup on my face. I would want to make a good impression in the short amount of time we would spend together. What we look like presents to others their impression of how we handle our jobs. In the last Town Hall video live meeting the executives sat side by side in small chairs. Casual clothing and a real need for some consideration of what the harsh lights do to the way a person's face looks. Makeup is needed to look normal under these conditions and it appeared everyone rolled out of bed and just slipped into something comfy and left for work. Perception of an employee's worth is a quick glance from the executive's eye and it can mean you are in or out. Give us an example of professionalism from the way you look to the way you treat people and believe in the initiatives you launch with enough time and money for your foot soldiers to get it done. Somebody should know how to present a video.

"Corp needs to understand Senior Living and quit being so demanding!"

Current Employee - Assistant General Manager

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Absolutely the most rewarding job I have ever had. Residents consider employees part of their families and you feel like you are part of their family! Never a dull moment in the community. Benefits are OK and 401K is great!

Cons

Corp in Winter Park, FL needs to realize that all the "new policies" are too much on GMs, AGM, OM and REC. Its pathetic for they think we can just stop everything and do what they need. They dont realize that we have almost 100 people daily that we have to keep happy. When working my 40 hours a week, it is absolutely the MOST tiring job I have ever had. Corp needs to have a real Human Resources Dept to call vs having ADP take care of HR needs. POOR JUDGEMENT on whomever made the call for ADP vs HR Dept. Plus we need to be able to pick up a phone and call people vs only getting to "email people" at Corp. THATS A JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Advice to Management

Stop putting so many extra jobs to GM, AGM, REC, OM and Sales leaders. Its getting to be too much. Also realize that we are dealing with people daily and Corp has NO CLUE what we go thru! Our REC can never get a break and I worry she will quit with all the new on-boarding Corp wants.

Mar 5, 2019 – Recruiting Program Coordinator

I'd really like to have a conversation so we can talk through your experience. Your feedback is important to me. Please contact me at your earliest convenience. Karen Sheean, Chief People Officer... More

7. "Good"

Current Employee - Chef in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Chef in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good with residents bad for workers

Cons

Change in upper management no organization

Advice to Management

Figure out management

"Terrible Management"

Former Employee - Shared Services in Winter Park, FL
    Former Employee - Shared Services in Winter Park, FL

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They have doors, so you can leave. Other than that, nothing.

Cons

Too many to list. Don’t waste your time. This place has some of the worst management in the history of management.

Advice to Management

Get a clue. Stop putting people with zero people or management skills in charge. Until this changes, it will be a revolving door of unhappy employees.

"Holiday needs to walk their talk!"

Former Employee - General Manager
    Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Working with seniors is a wonderful thing!

Cons

TOO many changes that are expected to be implemented too quickly. If they say they are like a cruise ship they need to remember that cruise ships can't turn on a dime.

Advice to Management

Figure out who you want to be and stick with it for more than a month! If you want to be a wonderful home for seniors show more love to the people that work with them--your staff!

"Seniors no longer important, they care only about Money and where they can blow it."

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Co-Workers, Residents, Pay is decent, and vacation time used to be good.

Cons

Expectations are unrealistic and unobtainable. The industry is struggling and having a hard time everywhere and yet corporate is demanding that we do better than everyone else when they have buildings that are newer and charge less rent. How can we rent a room to someone for what we are charging when they can go down the street and rent the same thing for 800 less per month and they get a larger room, newer cabinets & appliances, updated furniture, updated carpet, and all new amenities..... Because that is what we are keeping with. Everything is outdated in these communities. Phone systems are at least 20 years behind the curve, 90% of the buildings don't have wifi, carpet in most buildings is 20+ years old, most kitchen equipment is original to the buildings, but the only thing that matters is making more more more.

Everyday we get emails beating down the management team letting us know that we aren't doing enough. We will literally have to stop what we are doing with our residents to do call blitz's to call as many prospective leads as possible, meanwhile our residents are left in the lurch and are neglected and unhappy.

The Great Place to Work certification is a joke and is completely rigged. If a good review isn't left management is punished and has to force employees to take their online survey in view of management to ensure it is done, participation is not optional and employees will lie to just get through it.

This company is not headed in a good direction, they are blowing money frivolously on unnecessary things and I have a hard time believing they will still be around 5 years from now.

Advice to Management

Invest money into your communities and understand that you will not get results when you have communities that are falling apart because they are 20-30+ years old and yet they are asking for more rent than buildings that are 1/10th their age and are a lot nicer.

We all understand that money is important. But in the past 6 months we have had our budgets cut, vacation time taken away, we are working massive overtime, and not once has corporate done anything to try and encourage the team, instead they spend massive amounts of money sending the Sales Leaders to Vegas for a leadership conference where Rick Wiggington got to stand on stage and let his Ego do all of the talking for 5 days.

Sales are all that matter..... Corporate never cares about the state of the current residents. Once those residents sign a lease and move into the building they are nothing more than a % on the occupancy scale, after that it is time to move on and find someone else to lease.

Everyone on the leadership team needs to look around and realize that spending money on stupid side projects is not going to fix anything. Buildings need new carpet, new furniture, new ovens, new cabinets. We do not need to sink every dime we have into trying to move people in because guess what??? That isn't sustainable. The buildings are falling apart and yet this is ignored because if we don't have sales coming in, then it must be managements fault instead.

If you want to succeed get rid of Rick immediately, he is running sales as if he is a used care salesman, and he doesn't care who gets in his way, he will say that he is wanting to enrich the lives of our seniors, but then he never will say how, he just uses it as a sentence to encourage people to move in.

Mar 5, 2019 – Recruiting Program Coordinator