Holiday Retirement Reviews | Glassdoor

2.2
Lilly Donohue

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • upper management doesn't know what each author is doing (in 105 reviews)

• extremely long hours for those who are salaried (60 (in 65 reviews)

"Houskeeping/Kitchen/Receptionist"

Current Employee - Housekeeping/Kitchen/Receptionist in La Mirada, CA
    Current Employee - Housekeeping/Kitchen/Receptionist in La Mirada, CA

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love working here...the staff i work with are the best!

Cons

no cons so far that i know of

2. "Corporate MIA"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Longmont, CO
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Longmont, CO

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great training program. Thorough and treated very well.

Cons

Treatment post training was the issue. 14 hour days on a low salary. Issues ignored by corporate.

Advice to Management

Work-life balance and a willingness to listen to those in the field.

"My View"

Current Employee - Business Manager in Lakeland, FL
    Current Employee - Business Manager in Lakeland, FL

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Coworkers/residents are wonderful to work with. Everyone is polite and upbeat even on hetic days

Cons

Benefits for associates are terrible as well as the pay

Advice to Management

Ask questions of your staff, learn what is actually happening within a community, acknowledge and appreciate when you have good staff. Its the staff members behind the scene that are assisting to make management look good.

"Only stayed for the residents"

Former Employee - Enrihment Coordinator in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Enrihment Coordinator in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

From day 1 on the job as a 16-year-old server, I heard from one of the other servers that was training me, "I'm still working here only because of the residents". As time would go on, I would discover that to be true for myself. I loved the residents and because of that, I stayed with the company for many years. The residents and the service you get to provide them is priceless.

Cons

I gave the "Career Opportunities" tab 2 stars. I began as a server at age 16 and was able to work up through some kitchen positions to the Enrichment Coordinator position (glorified term for Activity Director). From there, I actively pursued a promotion into Management but to no avail. I would sometimes work 70 plus hours a week, make server schedules, respond to emergency calls, and much more outside my job description. I got some appreciation and was even sent on the "Touch of Excellence" trip. However, I never was promoted into management even though I was far more qualified and dedicated than the other managers I saw come through there. I personally believe it was because I was young and therefore overlooked.
    During my time there, I went through 13 individual managers, not including different flex teams that would come in and cover in between management. However, they never considered my 5 years of dedication and experience as something valuable for the manager position.
    Holiday counts on staff members getting attached to the residents and that's why they pay so little. As a server, I could have gone to work at a local movie theater for the same pay plus get free movies. I had tons of interviews and job offers but I ultimately turned them down because of the residents.
    I'm part of a community that is being bought out by another company and I look forward to seeing how this new company reacts with its employees.

Advice to Management

Give promotion opportunities to your good, dedicated employees.

5. "Very innovative"

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time

Pros

Trying to crack something big.

Cons

Start-up environment with big ups but also big downs.

6. "Holiday"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Oswego, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Oswego, OR

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love working for a company that cares about people and our jobs as associates is to take care of our residents.

Cons

Moving the corporate office to Florida left a lot of people looking for new jobs.

Advice to Management

Better transparency. Changes that are made need more clarity and information resources so people can adapt their tasks appropriately and thoroughly.

"Great company to work for if you are adaptable to change, Growth and diversion"

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Holiday has had a consistent and Great training program for the sales teams. You come in qualified but you start working equipped with knowledge, tools and resources to make you successful if you are ready and willing to work hard. The Regional team is always readily available to assist as needed and to coach whenever you 'get stuck in a bubble' or when the market 'fails you'. The medical benefits are not the best but they are good and they have a good 401 K match as well.

Cons

There has been too many changes in the very recent past and current and all at once/suddenly creating unrest in both employees and residents alike.
    Lack of growth opportunities for actual qualified staff.

Advice to Management

This is to the RD's , RDS's and District level leaders- Develop and mentor real qualified candidates for growth-not those that are more your friends or families.

8. "GM"

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time

Pros

Great corporate office team and training

Cons

Horrendous GM to work alongside.

Advice to Management

Take a close look at CT GM's ethics, treatment of residents and financials (rent collections in particular).

"Manager"

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time

Pros

Managed 2 communities. Loved my residents. Loved most of my staff.

Cons

LONG hours. Worked in a situation where I couldn't leave my apartment when on-call, as there was no mobile emergency system in place. As I was a single manager, worked at my 2nd community over a year training (2) permanent co-managers or relying on relief help who may or may not have known what they were doing, but were mostly warm bodies. My co-managers left for less hours. I left when I could do longer do the job of 2 people working (or on-call) 52+ hours a week.
    In addition, the food budget is totally inadequate. And the Executive Chefs are expected to produce nutritional food that is also "elegant" (look at the web site).
    In addition, management should not have to do housekeeping on the weekends, which is often some as their busiest time. For instance, if an unscheduled tour walks through the door, who is going to clean up the mess in the bathroom or unplug the overflowing toilet in the guest room?

Advice to Management

Get a clue. You talk the talk - I do think you ought to take a look at the lower ranks and make their lives worth staying with Holiday.

"Money greedy upper management"

Former Employee - General Manager in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - General Manager in Portland, OR

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Current company culture leaves me thinking there are no pros.

Cons

Overworked. No work life balance. Upper management pits managers against associates. Not enough money budgeted to buy quality food in proper quantities. Old and degraded buildings. Big changes are still coming that leave extremely vulnerable seniors at risk 12 hours every day. Many managers live up to an hour from the buildings with no employee available in case of an emergency.

Advice to Management

Stop playing games and work with managers. Look at the population in your buildings. They are people who should be in assisted living. You are a bunch of ostriches with your head in the sand.