Holiday Retirement Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Lilly Donohue

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • upper management doesn't know what each author is doing (in 105 reviews)

• extremely long hours for those who are salaried (60 (in 66 reviews)

"Don't get cozy unless you are okay with poor standards for your elders when the staff is in flux."

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was there for a day and it was enough.I was there for a day and it was enough.

Cons

"No, we use the broken ones," .. "We aren't supposed to have a conversation with residents, they get in trouble and we get in trouble" .. "This place hasn't been clean in a year", .. "If you ask about little things you're not gonna be happy here," .. "I try to get servers to keep their hands off their faces etc.. But it's a losing battle." "Maybe they'll get some better people.."
    "We run out a lot." " we clean these every few days." "Walk slower there are no mats here" " This is supposed to be a job for 2 people per shift"."Corporate sticks to these standards. "

Advice to Management

Pay more. You'll attract more competent employees. Don't put down the elderly people who live there. Discourage people walking around with headphones and cursing about cleaning.Be flexible with scheduling to accommodate quality employees who want to stick thru the transitional horrors. Do ppl even wear those tags anymore like the video? Your hiring packet has a bunch of typos and grammatical errors, and signing time changing forms and sick day stuff in advance is weird.

"General Manager of independent retirement communities for seniors"

Former Employee - General Manager in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - General Manager in Orlando, FL

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The residents - Benefits are great

Cons

too much work, not enough staff , does not pay enough for hard work

Advice to Management

recognize your associates

"Ratings are justified !!!!"

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time

Pros

None, none, none, and none.

Cons

Long hours for management, staffed as lean as possible. High pressure to get leases leads to buildings with residents that are past living independently.

Advice to Management

Hours for management staff should reflect business hours, not babysitting staff. Lighten pressure on sales and leasing, buildings are full of residents that have no business living independently but high pressure to sell leads to that happening. Hire appropriate levels of staff to run your facilities.

"Short-sighted"

Current Employee - General Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - General Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are always good days

Cons

It seems nothing will change - Typical Corporate CYA - no one at any management level should expect to last more than a year or two - any other expectation is merely wishful thinking.

Advice to Management

Don't become one (management)

"EC"

I have been working at Holiday Retirement part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Residents are awesome that's it,

Cons

Management stinks, training is non existent you have to figure everything on your own and they don't pay entertainment in time.

Advice to Management

Get new management, experienced that won't turn resident and staff away.

"Accounting"

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I didn't see any pros

Cons

Very strong in micromanaging with very little knowledge of the industry

Advice to Management

You are resigning from your position when you accept a management position with this company.

"Holiday touch is gone"

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Residents, making them happy. Co workers i work with.

Cons

No internal advancement, they seem to hire from outside,if you arent part of the inner Circle you are out.

Advice to Management

Actually interview a candidate before making a decision based on one review from a regional staff memeber. They are not in the building on a daily basis so how can you make assumption that person knows what they are saying. After 5 years with company told by regional I will never get promotion with company , based on my leadership style. I have had nothing but praise on my work performance for the last 5 years, What has changed with my performance? I used to enjoy my time with Holiday now I feel Sick to my stomach coming to work. Telling a employee they will never be promoted does not improve morale. The last Town Hall meeting was said we are at a 80-85% turn over maybe people are wising up and not taking bullying tatics anymore.

"GM"

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time

Pros

Great corporate office team and training

Cons

Horrendous GM to work alongside.

Advice to Management

Take a close look at CT GM's ethics, treatment of residents and financials (rent collections in particular).

"Money greedy upper management"

Former Employee - General Manager in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - General Manager in Portland, OR

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Current company culture leaves me thinking there are no pros.

Cons

Overworked. No work life balance. Upper management pits managers against associates. Not enough money budgeted to buy quality food in proper quantities. Old and degraded buildings. Big changes are still coming that leave extremely vulnerable seniors at risk 12 hours every day. Many managers live up to an hour from the buildings with no employee available in case of an emergency.

Advice to Management

Stop playing games and work with managers. Look at the population in your buildings. They are people who should be in assisted living. You are a bunch of ostriches with your head in the sand.

"I wanted to stay. They didn't want me"

Former Employee - Kitchen Helper in Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - Kitchen Helper in Richardson, TX

I worked at Holiday Retirement part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The residents are AWESOME! So many stories to hear and they really take interest in you as a person.

Cons

Having worked here (Richardson, Texas)for 4 months.This place COULD be a fantastic place to work. And I was told that it once WAS. But the management they have in place NOW is not anywhere close to ensuring a well run facility. If you decide to work here KNOW THIS. Come 7:30 or 8pm management leaves with the servers so anything you need to talk to them for needs to be done BEFORE dinner. Cause right after they are gonna split. They have a shortage of staff currently, due to management's inability to hire in a timely manner. The executive chef left about 2 months ago and they haven't replaced HIM yet. The PM chef left a month later (still no replacement) and I left a week ago, so there are 3 people running ALL meals for the day. (Which there SHOULD be 6 or 7) the ones currently are over worked and it can at times blend off into the quality of the meals. The waiting staff is comprised of mostly teenagers. And I mean 15 to 17 years old with a early 20's person thrown in. They only work 6 hours a day MAX (and that's if they work all 3 meals. 2 hours per meal) so they do not have the same converns as full time employee because they are teenagers. And they are worried about teenager things. And if they get upset they just quit. It's a never ending cycle. In the 4 months I worked there, we had 6 residents pass away. I also found out that when they pass away they are considered a " move out " so they don't have to say someone died. Even with all of this, I STILL wanted to stay and be around the residents. But I was only a part-time person (NOT by choice) and I tried and tried to get them to either give me full time or more pay, or AT LEAST more hours because I couldn't financially make it off of the pay I was receiving (11.50 an hour for a kitchen helper getting AT BEST 28 hours a week.) But my requests fell upon deaf ears. I kept trying up until my last 2 days. Management didn't care. I KNEW I was a good employee and was VERY good to the residents ( just ask them for yourself) but with the management as broken as it is currently. the amount of stuff the residents have to deal with ( and YOU potential employees) is DANGEROUSLY unfair. The residents deserve BETTER than what they are getting.The staff deserves BETTER than what they are getting. The main manager Chris is ok. He does his best to make things better. But thats really only doing damage control. Kenny is a complete waste of space. Knowing NOTHING about what's going on in the facility (safety, staffing, whats even on the menu's) and doesn't come out of his office unless he HAS TO (someone quit and he only has ONE 15 year old server who's first day was the day before serving the ENTIRE dining hall). They are having to call in chef's from other centers to come help because they can't seem to find a professional chef that wants to be paid $13 an hour. They aides are stealing from the company. The main chef gets drunk on the job ( just look under his desk there is a 3/4 bottle of Peach Schnapps already consumed) The other kitchen helper can BARELY READ! He has ALREADY been busted for bringing in drugs to residents and is open about smoking weed and yet HE STILL HAS A JOB!?And someone like me who is all about the place not stealing and doing drugs and making the residents happy that they chose to be there cant even get more hours after voicing that I WANT TO STAY?! The El Dorado doesnt know what its doing. Its NOT wanting to keep good employees. I really tried to stay but financially I couldn't survive (and I told them that 2 MONTHS before I quit) on what I was being given. And the management didnt care. So best of luck. Your gonna need it.

Advice to Management

My advice to the management is to quit pushing your people out. When you have someone that WANTS to be there find a way to KEEP them. My advice to the UPPER MANAGEMENT ( OWNER, COORDINATORS, DECISION MAKERS)
    Fire the "managers" you currently have because they are costing you ALOT of money. They are idiots and don't know how to run the facility properly. And if you want someone to come in and fix things give me a call. I'd be HAPPY to get rid of the dead weight FOR you.