Holiday Retirement Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Lilly Donohue

Pros
Cons
  • Very little positive support from your upper management (in 96 reviews)

• They have no regard for the work that community Managers do (in 61 reviews)

1. "live-in manager"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Strongsville, OH
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Strongsville, OH

I worked at Holiday Retirement (More than 3 years)

Pros

people food advise seniors are great

Cons

company sales misleading no care and hungery sales

Advice to Management

give me overtime

2. "Regional Mgmt."

Former Employee - Regional Support Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Regional Support Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The relationships which are possible to build.

Cons

The current instability of the company. This company was just sold, again, and basically, a reorganization is taking place, rendering very few regional or district positions safe from the axe.

Advice to Management

Remember who you're serving here. It's the residents, remember them? The buildings are aging, dramatically, so fix them.., the field teams crave the support, so provide more, not less.., and give the residents the food they want you eat, stop spending the pennies you are, and loosen up those purse strings. You talk the talk, you do not walk the walk.

3. "Over stressed and Over worked!"

Current Employee - Office Manager/Lead Manager
    Current Employee - Office Manager/Lead Manager

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Basic Benefits are great, but not much room for advancement, unless your willing to sign your life away.

Cons

General Managers are given understaffed communities to care for the elderly.

Advice to Management

Give a better labor force to the managers. Trust your managers to do their job. Stop Micromanaging them.

5. "AGM"

Former Employee - Assistant General Manager in Columbia, SC
    Former Employee - Assistant General Manager in Columbia, SC

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The residents, they make the place somewhere you want a be.

Cons

Unfortunately the company does not value residents and basically put them through the ringer in their latest transition. Poor company ethics and upper management level is poor in professional skilsl and people skills

6. "Depressing"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Menomonee Falls, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Menomonee Falls, WI

I have been working at Holiday Retirement part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Holiday pay if full time for birthday

Cons

No promotions. Management and corporate

Advice to Management

Promote within and increase the pay for all positions.

"General manager"

Former Employee - General Manager
    Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The residents and some staff were great, it is nice to be treated with a smile when you return to work after your weekend

Cons

Everything, ineffective regional management that do not respond to concerns about just about everything. Just because a sales leader gets move ins does not make them a good employee. Most of them are difficult to work with on the best of days and don't contribute in any other way to the community. This journey program was rolled out in such a secretive manner you had no idea what was happening to you until your regional manager showed up with your new fate in their hands! Was given no notice that I was being shipped off to another community away from my family and former managers that were partners were made into office managers which is about the same level as housekeepers and treated invisible when they were previously community leaders. Cutting the workload to only three managers and expecting the front desk to be covered at all times especially on Friday and Saturday when it is just the AGM and enrichment coordinator is difficult when you have activities planned and the AGM is helping serve meals when your servers don't show up for shifts. The structure where the sales leaders don't report to the GM is so wrong, the GM should be able to have more say on what the sales leader is doing and how sales are managed in their community and they sales leaders need to be held more accountable.

Advice to Management

Listen to the GMs closer, we are out there trying to do our best. These reviews should say something about how unhappy people are. Moving managers offsite, offering a small amount of salary adjustment and taking away the monthly bonus which basically evened out what we were getting is a joke, did you forget that now we need to buy more gas to get to and from work, pay rent and utilities, buy more groceries, our day is now even longer when you add a commute to a twelve hour day.

"Run As Far From Them As You Can!"

Former Employee - Manager in Lake Oswego, OR
    Former Employee - Manager in Lake Oswego, OR

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You build bonds with the residents, but it doesn't outweigh the many cons. You won't have time for them with all the sales pressure and b.s. and will ultimately pity them more than anything...

Cons

Rising sales pressure to appease the managing hedge fund have driven sales teams to unlikely sources. Underage psych patients, veterans who can't afford it without aide they may not receive, and unsupervised dementia residents are among the average community now. More emphasis placed on increasing rents than increasing the maintenance and aesthetics of the community.

Advice to Management

Sell back to Hawthorn. The Colsons did it better than you....

"manager"

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Wil never out way the cons

Cons

Over 4 years and multiple titles with this company all I can say is the NEW Holiday that it is referred to now is a train wreck. I have seen what is being hired by the RDs and it's bad. They are only looking for people in the hotel management fields or Executive directors from assisted living that was fired and can't get a job with assisted anymore. I have seen this firsthand so no BS. The communities now offer nothing to active seniors. Most buildings do not have pools spas or anything. All they offer now is 3 meals a day and an apartment nothing to make you want to leave a house you have lived in for 40 years. You get a pendant and an apartment and grade school activities. The security that was once there with live in managers is gone and what is being hired has a lot to be desired. If your reading this run the other way do not work here.

Advice to Management

They don't listen I have been after them in emails and phone calls but it all falls on deaf ears. The senior vice president of operations should have been canned years ago but instead gets promoted.

"The worst company in the senior living field"

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are no pros...all the decent residents and employees have gone to the competitors.

Cons

Corporate employees have no clue about the senior living industry. They are out of touch and arrogant! Managers are forced to move off site with meager compensation for housing and our local community is 30% higher priced compared to local competitors with comparable or even better amenities. Somehow after warning the incompetents at corporate, it is the local manager's fault that residents are getting smart and moving out in high numbers. This company has recently been sold to new investors and is currently in chaos.

Advice to Management

To the investors that just acquired Holiday Retirement, please clean house at the corporate office. they are arrogant, unaccountable, and do not support local communities. Start listening to General Managers as they are the reason any profit is made.

"Office Manager"

Current Employee - Office Manager
    Current Employee - Office Manager

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some of the residents appreciate your efforts for their happiness

Cons

The company works people to death, has unrealistic expectations, no concern for employees or residents. After receiving numerous awards as an outstanding Community Manager (a salaried position) for several years I was arbitrarily demoted to the unrewarding low paying hourly "Office Manager" job which should more correctly be labeled Receptionist or Office Grunt.

Advice to Management

Every Home Office, District and Regional staff person should spend a week working in a Community and find out what these jobs are really like. They don't have a clue how much we have to do on a daily basis to keep these communities running.