Holiday Retirement Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Lilly Donohue

Pros
Cons
  • Very little positive support from your upper management (in 95 reviews)

• They have no regard for the work that community Managers do (in 60 reviews)

"Sales Leader"

Former Employee - Sales Leader in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Leader in Dallas, TX

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Gain Experience and Enjoy Residents

Cons

Not the "caring" company as presented. PUSH, Push, Push for the numbers, but no support to get there.

Advice to Management

Less micromanagement

"Employee Review"

Former Employee - Manager in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Manager in Nashville, TN

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The retired residents that you help take care of.

Cons

Company is only interested in the bottom line for its investors. They do not care about the residents that are keeping them in business and they definitely do not care about the employees. They believe in running a building with less than skeleton staff and then will adjust the budget to do away with the staff that you were doing without. This causes the managers to work an excessive amount of OT and getting very few days off since you have no one to cover for you. The coverage that we use to have to allow for vacations has been eliminated.

Advice to Management

Tried multiple times to give them input since we were also training managers. Every comment fell on deaf ears that is if you could get to a human being at the home office.

"Co-Manager"

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time

Pros

Decent salary, free rent, great interactions with residents

Cons

Micro-managing upper management, unrealistic market rates and sales expectations, inconsistent and, at times, unethical dealings by upper management, managers and co-managers were consistently overworked and received no overtime.

Advice to Management

Stop basing your market rates on your investors' arbitrary profit margin and start seriously considering what a senior citizen with social security can afford. Also, reward rather than punish your employees. Your company's high turnover rate is due to middle management burnout.

"Disappointed"

Former Employee - Management
    Former Employee - Management

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Loved working with the residents, you become more than friends and are able to make a difference in their lives.

Cons

Not enough time for the staff of three versus four to complete work. Residents are compromised with food quality and lack of management involvement especially with them living off site. Residents are very unhappy, rightfully so. Holiday has become so diversified it is not concentrating on the base business the Communities.

Advice to Management

Please review food program and management roles.

"Sales Leader"

Former Employee - Sales Leader
    Former Employee - Sales Leader

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits, and pay. Sales can focus on the sales while the management runs the building.

Cons

Contant pressure to move people in regardless if in their best interest. or communities. Higher level management making determination's on needs for the community without ever setting foot in it.
    No work life balance.

Advice to Management

Stop making decisions based off of algorithm's and not on the actual product.
    LISTEN to the employee's who are in the trenches in the communities. They are who will make or break your company.

"Manager"

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working with the Senior Population enhancing their lives.0

Cons

Poor wages managers were moved off the property and Residents now have emergency devises rather that an in house system directly to manager on call.

Advice to Management

Move Managers back into the apartment complex. This offers some emotional
    security for this age group.

"Co-Manager"

Former Employee - Co-Manager in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Co-Manager in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I loved working with the Residents and the Associates at my community.

Cons

Horrible Lead Managers who resented us from the very beginning and refused to train us properly. Had a problem with my husband and I being an interracial couple. Made our lives a living hell and Corporate was no help.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees when there is a problem and help them when there is a hostile work environment. Live up to your vision and principles.

"General Manager"

Former Employee - General Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - General Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Holiday Retirement part-time

Pros

Great staff at home office and community level. Working with seniors can be very rewarding.

Cons

District level management, VP level and higher management talk a good talk and then do nothing that they say. Reality is that they do not care in the least about our seniors, only about the bottom line. They care even less about the staff in their communities.

Advice to Management

We understand that this is a business and it needs to make money. Start truly caring about the residents. Happy residents will bring more happy residents. Residents love the staff. So when you make changes that affect the staff negatively, the residents are not happy. Get rid of half of the middle management. They serve no purpose except to contradict each other. If you have good GMs and AGMs, there's no need for 4 regionals. Sales leaders should report to GMs

"What Could Have Been"

Current Employee - Community Manager
    Current Employee - Community Manager

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Holiday Retirement, to put it simply, is in a transitional period right now. I could provide you with Pros about this job in the context of the structure of the company before the recent changes, but to attempt to list pros about the new structure would be dishonest.

The only real pro I can list with any honesty is getting to know some of the residents who live at these communities. Every other aspect of this job will turn sour and any joy you can derive from it will be robbed from you.

Cons

1. The pay is mediocre. Compare average salaries for comparable duties/titles in the industry and you'll find the salary of a Holiday Community Manager to be below the low end of average. This was excused because on-site housing was provided along with meals. Those things are now gone, but the pay remains well below average.

2. Upper Management: I've known a few Regional Directors, a few District Maintenance Directors a few Area Maintenance Directors, a few Regional Sales Directors, etc. As with most things, some of these people have been good people. But be warned: This company will not stand by you. No matter how much they talk about it, or how much they preach it, you will not receive the "Holiday Touch". You will be thrown under the bus, you will be the fall guy when anything goes wrong, and GOD FORBID you be the wrong gender! HR will ignore inconvenient evidence, RD's will look out for themselves alone, and there will be no one to help you should you end up the target of someone's ire.

---

The stories you see here, the negative ones, are true. I have the benefit of having had a mixed experience here. Not all of my employment with Holiday has been terrible. But I can vouch for those that have said it is. In fact, we recommended this job to some friends and they were dragged completely through the mud and abused with exactly 0 help from upper management. Everyone is covering their butt out of fear of the executive team. If you try to have any sort of integrity you will be a target. Only the dishonest prevail in this company.

There is no fairness, or impartial/unbiased judgments. This position is constantly a game of staying on the good side of the people with power, but not by doing the right thing. The only thing that guarantees your success here is painting a pretty picture and finding someone to pin your mistakes on. If you can do that, and you don't mind being jerked around, or being laid off, or having your job eliminated, or being forced to move in and then forced to move out, or being underpaid, you will love it here.

Advice to Management

Where to start... Put your money where your mouth is. Either run this company the way you say you will, or stop blowing smoke. We all know what runs the operation here: Fear. If you're serious about making a company that treats their employees well, you can't fake it - faking it will fail eventually.

You also need to be more involved. With the way the regions are structured, any complaint that goes up to the RD is almost totally without context or evidence of any kind. Because the RD's are hardly ever in the communities, and because MOST of them have never even ran a community, they are left sorely equipped to handle any issues. They're flying by the seat of their pants in between 1,000,000 conference calls, constant fire-breathing from the executive team, and thousands of pounds of proverbial trash from employees looking to cover their butts. Profits are essential to running a company, but there are other ways of turning a profit besides alienating your customers and employees with rapid change and half-baked implementation.

"Trying to remain optimistic"

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I think that anyone that has ever worked for this company would agree that the only reason to put up with this job (and it really is just a JOB) as long as any of us do is because of the residents. The residents and their families are amazing.

Cons

The salary and pay is terrible. For the amount of work that is laid on the leadership team, especially the GM's is unreal and borderline abusive. I don't believe that our executive team has a real clue as to what we REALLY deal with on a day to day basis. We are punching bags with little to no support from above. Babysitters with zero respect and zero appreciation. And the only way ... and I truly mean the ONLY way to receive any recognition for the work we do is if the SALES department scores another signing in your community... but then it's Kudos to them (making the company more money). But if you (manager) save a move out - there's nothing for that, because that's just doing your job (saving the company money)

Then - there's too much change too fast. I believe in change. I understand why the company is changing in the direction it's changing in. I get it, I really do. But the sudden quick back to back change is difficult on the residents. And the folks that have to "sell" it is the manager. We have to pretend that it's the best thing in the world even though we know to them they feel cheated. It's not what they signed on for either. And really, it's downright exhausting.

By the way ... how do I have time to move out when I am working as much as I do? I mean, I actually have to search for a place to live and move while I am still running an amazing community. Have you ever moved? How does one have time to do that working the hours we work? By the time I get to my apartment I am doing good to keep my eyes open. Let me be honest though- I will enjoy actually separating work and home life. But it just doesn't seem physically or emotionally possible.

Advice to Management

Quit keeping your people in the dark. Quit assuming you're as clever and secretive as the CIA with your secrets, Just be straight with us. We're adults. Talk to us and share the plans of changing the business that we run for you as if we're actually semi-intelligent and mature individuals. You hired us, right? You must have believed in us at some point, right? Be real with us. And PLEASE be realistic with us.