Holiday Retirement Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Lilly Donohue

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • upper management doesn't know what each author is doing (in 105 reviews)

• extremely long hours for those who are salaried (60 (in 65 reviews)

1. "Corporate MIA"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Longmont, CO
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Longmont, CO

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great training program. Thorough and treated very well.

Cons

Treatment post training was the issue. 14 hour days on a low salary. Issues ignored by corporate.

Advice to Management

Work-life balance and a willingness to listen to those in the field.

"My View"

Current Employee - Business Manager in Lakeland, FL
    Current Employee - Business Manager in Lakeland, FL

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Coworkers/residents are wonderful to work with. Everyone is polite and upbeat even on hetic days

Cons

Benefits for associates are terrible as well as the pay

Advice to Management

Ask questions of your staff, learn what is actually happening within a community, acknowledge and appreciate when you have good staff. Its the staff members behind the scene that are assisting to make management look good.

"Manager"

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time

Pros

Managed 2 communities. Loved my residents. Loved most of my staff.

Cons

LONG hours. Worked in a situation where I couldn't leave my apartment when on-call, as there was no mobile emergency system in place. As I was a single manager, worked at my 2nd community over a year training (2) permanent co-managers or relying on relief help who may or may not have known what they were doing, but were mostly warm bodies. My co-managers left for less hours. I left when I could do longer do the job of 2 people working (or on-call) 52+ hours a week.
    In addition, the food budget is totally inadequate. And the Executive Chefs are expected to produce nutritional food that is also "elegant" (look at the web site).
    In addition, management should not have to do housekeeping on the weekends, which is often some as their busiest time. For instance, if an unscheduled tour walks through the door, who is going to clean up the mess in the bathroom or unplug the overflowing toilet in the guest room?

Advice to Management

Get a clue. You talk the talk - I do think you ought to take a look at the lower ranks and make their lives worth staying with Holiday.

"Currently seeking other jobs"

Current Employee - Enrichment Coordinator
    Current Employee - Enrichment Coordinator

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Like everyone says- working with the residents is a wonderful experience. There probably are opportunities to advance if you have the right attitude and ingratiate yourself to the right people (regional staff and other upper management).

Cons

I personally was hired to do a specific (office-based) job, and have been expected to pick up slack in other departments (mostly the kitchen, sometimes in housekeeping). Recently Holiday introduced a certification labeled "Community Team Lead," in which hourly staff members are trained to act as manager in case of their absence. This replaces the "Flex Manager" program, that allows individuals with actual management experience to travel to communities that are in need of temporary managers. I feel that this shortchanges residents as well as other staff, since having inexperienced managers especially in a senior living environment could be detrimental. ALSO- firings are common and often unexpected. This is a business to the core, concerned with profits and a narrow definition of "productivity," instead of experience and rapport with residents/clients.

Advice to Management

Value your community managers and staff for their daily presence in the community. Give them more credit for what they do every day.

"Great training....BUT"

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time

Pros

The Seniors you work with are wonderful and many of your co-worker are helpful as well.

Cons

Upper management puts way too much pressure and have very unrealistic expectations of tasks needed to be done every day, especially with the major changes in management structure.

"Assistant General Manager"

Former Employee - Lead Manager/Assistant General Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Lead Manager/Assistant General Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome residents who makes your day brighter.

Cons

Long hours, overwhelming amount of work for not enough pay. No support from corporate. Constant sell, sell, sell. No resolution from employee relations for work issues. Find a job somewhere else!

Advice to Management

Curb employee turnover by supporting your employees and offer sound resolutions to issues/problems when they arise. Put yourself in the manager's seat and experience what they experience on a daily basis. Maybe then you'll be able to identify and approach issues from a different angle.

"Poor Work/Life Balance"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Lake Oswego, OR
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Lake Oswego, OR

I worked at Holiday Retirement (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay was good, if you know how to negotiate. Flexible schedule/work form home options

Cons

Poor employee appreciation, no real mentoring program/employee development, extremely "penny" oriented since the company sold in 2007

Advice to Management

Communicate with employees, especially details that affect an individuals job responsibilities and success.

"Too much stress!"

Current Employee - Night Cook
    Current Employee - Night Cook

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Enjoy working with the residents. Getting to hear stories from when they were young helps you understand them better.

Cons

Corporate adds more and more to the list to do and still expect them to be completed in an 8 hr shift. Everyone is stressed to the max. Bosses don't help by favoring incompetent workers and adding what the bad workers don't do to the hard workers list.

Advice to Management

Build the employees up by complimenting when someone does good and not just with WOW points. Don't cater to those who always slack off.

"manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Huntsville, AL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Huntsville, AL

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

We help a lot of seniors

Cons

The Holiday Touch is around in name only

Advice to Management

get real the associates and residents are not stupid that is the reason for turnover. The company is a train wreck. Treat people like they are people and communicate with them. Do not lie to us and expect everyone to believe it

"Community Manager"

Current Employee - Manager Team Lead in Midland, TX
    Current Employee - Manager Team Lead in Midland, TX

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The Residents and Team you develop while working.

Cons

Long hours, inconsistent upper management

Advice to Management

Take responsibility in the older communities,