Holiday Retirement Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 14, 2017

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Lilly Donohue

Pros
Cons
  • Very little positive support from your upper management (in 95 reviews)

• They have no regard for the work that community Managers do (in 60 reviews)

"Management restructure"

Former Employee - Sales Leader
    Former Employee - Sales Leader

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The residents were great. Pay is decent

Cons

Residents are moving out due to no 24/7 management on property which is what current residents were sold on. No scene of security at night. 20+ move outs from Dec. 2016 - Feb.15 2017.

Advice to Management

Support your Sales Leaders covering that amount of move outs are extremely hard to cover.

2. "A step to gain experience"

Former Employee - Management in Lake Oswego, OR
    Former Employee - Management in Lake Oswego, OR

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Allows opportunity for growth within the company.

Cons

The hours were long when your salary.

3. "Fun place to work, but you have to enjoy your coworkers"

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time

Pros

Close proximity to residents and coworkers, get to take home leftovers from the kitchen, decent time-off policy, generally well-meaning and friendly managers

Cons

"Corporate" can make your job difficult sometimes, and the "lower" people on the totem pole don't generally hear about changes to the system until it arrives. Pay is fairly low.

"Rewarding work - difficult conditions"

Former Employee - Co-Manager
    Former Employee - Co-Manager

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Living and working in "community with" seniors is rewarding for the relational experiences.

Cons

No sense of being able to retreat from the demands of the residents. Senior apartment living meant we prematurely downsized by storing our household goods and always felt cramped and in a glass bowl.

Advice to Management

Improve the housing for management teams and plan better to allow management time off.

"change is status quo"

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time

Pros

The company is trying to keep abreast of changing needs of seniors

Cons

They often do not consider the impact of those changes on the staff in the communities

Advice to Management

handle change management better!

"Server"

I worked at Holiday Retirement part-time

Pros

Great flexible hours for servers, which is great for students or anyone looking for something part time

Cons

Constantly had managers and co-workers in and out which could lead to difficulty filling out the schedule

Advice to Management

Ask employees what managers/community needs to do or have in order to improve the quality of living

"Is the Ship Sinking ??"

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

We all say the Residents and their Families. Our Teams of wonderful dedicated associates.
    Our warm and inviting Communities. The fact that in our Communities we make it work every day as an extended Family so that our Customer Service level is a 10.

Cons

Lack of respect from the associates above the Community level to the TOP. We know you think things will get better, but you have destroyed the Culture and Integrity this Company was founded on. So many very good people from Community to the Top have abandoned the ship as it sinks. Be certain you know where the life jackets are !

What ever happed to the national committee of Managers, RD, C level, that were to work together and provide feedback?

Advice to Management

Please take a deep breath and look around you. Why are so many people unhappy. You need to not Fix something that was not broken. The Communities serves Seniors in many ways above and beyond what is expected and that needs recognition and respect. They are the Teams that make Holiday what it is. Not RDO. DVPO, RDS, DVPS , ... talk with this level about respect. Thank you !

"I have loved working for Holiday for the last 4 years, but now I'm not sure....."

Current Employee - General Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - General Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I love being able to help others find the best place to live. Helping seniors to be safe and happy and their families find peace of mind is why I do this job.

Cons

After 43+ years of success and growth, Holiday is changing their structure. Why? I keep hearing that it is for"a better work/life balance" for managers but that can't really be the case. The change to a GM instead of couples is understandable and should have a positive response, however, now they are moving the managers out of the building all together - there will be no one on site over night, not even a security guard. This is what has elevated us from every other senior living company and now it's going away. What I don't want is for the corporate management to blame this on the community managers. They have their own agenda with Fortress - the community residents, managers and associates are the farthest from their mind. It has been easy for me to "sell" this lifestyle because I believe in it, I don't feel that any longer.

Advice to Management

If it's not broke why are you breaking it?

"Community Manager"

Former Contractor - Community Manager
    Former Contractor - Community Manager

I worked at Holiday Retirement as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Working with residents!!! Regional Manager was a great advocate for our community with corporate.

Cons

Corporate placed priority on profit over resident and staff satisfaction. Low wages created high turnover.

Advice to Management

Restructure, raise wages and invest in the improvement of the communities for residents.

"Opportunity With a Corporate Flavor"

Current Employee - Cook
    Current Employee - Cook

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Holiday Retirement offers a culinary program rich in the basics and fundamentals of cooking. Anybody working in the kitchen has the opportunity to learn skills necessary to operate in the culinary arts, and there are many opportunities for advancement, given that the necessary effort is achieved on the employee's part.

Cons

Corporate. The company is only ever out to get a buck. The food budget is horrible in comparison to what these residents pay to live in a community. $4,000-$5,000 a month in rent per resident should in way warrant a PPD of $4.00.

Advice to Management

Focus on resident satisfaction and team building. The kitchen is the lifeblood of the community, and management should operate accordingly.