Holiday Retirement Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated August 19, 2017

Lilly Donohue

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • upper management doesn't know what each author is doing (in 105 reviews)

• extremely long hours for those who are salaried (60 (in 65 reviews)

"Only stayed for the residents"

Former Employee - Enrihment Coordinator in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Enrihment Coordinator in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

From day 1 on the job as a 16-year-old server, I heard from one of the other servers that was training me, "I'm still working here only because of the residents". As time would go on, I would discover that to be true for myself. I loved the residents and because of that, I stayed with the company for many years. The residents and the service you get to provide them is priceless.

Cons

I gave the "Career Opportunities" tab 2 stars. I began as a server at age 16 and was able to work up through some kitchen positions to the Enrichment Coordinator position (glorified term for Activity Director). From there, I actively pursued a promotion into Management but to no avail. I would sometimes work 70 plus hours a week, make server schedules, respond to emergency calls, and much more outside my job description. I got some appreciation and was even sent on the "Touch of Excellence" trip. However, I never was promoted into management even though I was far more qualified and dedicated than the other managers I saw come through there. I personally believe it was because I was young and therefore overlooked.
    During my time there, I went through 13 individual managers, not including different flex teams that would come in and cover in between management. However, they never considered my 5 years of dedication and experience as something valuable for the manager position.
    Holiday counts on staff members getting attached to the residents and that's why they pay so little. As a server, I could have gone to work at a local movie theater for the same pay plus get free movies. I had tons of interviews and job offers but I ultimately turned them down because of the residents.
    I'm part of a community that is being bought out by another company and I look forward to seeing how this new company reacts with its employees.

Advice to Management

Give promotion opportunities to your good, dedicated employees.

"Over worked"

Former Employee - Executive Chef in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Executive Chef in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The residents are great, the staff I work with is wonderful and the benefits are decent. Paid holidays too (which you always have to work)

Cons

Time restraints, minimal budget for what's expected, not enough staff to complete what is needed. There should be a a housekeeper in the common areas on both Saturday and Sunday. Stop basing staffing levels on occupancy, that's absurd!

Advice to Management

Listen to employees that have been here a long time. Listen to the residents complaints and concerns. Try to KEEP existing residents instead of trying to always get new ones, regardless of their care needs. Stop bringing in residents to independent communities that should be in higher cars. Worry about the food rather than "how does the coffee bar look?" You need MORE STAFF and MORE HOURS.

"Part of hospitality industry"

I worked at Holiday Retirement (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working with the senior is always a fun, you learn a lot about life in general.

Cons

very little chance for the minorities to grow with this company

Advice to Management

Hire people with Hospitality back ground.

"Corporate HQ relocating-Too Many Changes"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Oswego, OR

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fulfillment from helping seniors or in my case helping our community associates who are in the field caring for seniors. Lots of great people working in the field and here at HQ. I'm sorry to see my role ending.

Cons

We have a new president (Lily) who is negative and rude in person. The CEO is also very removed from the community level. Too much turnover which is disruptive to our seniors and other non manager staff member's. The company seems to be moving away from managing communities and moving into new ventures. Casting aside the entire head office staff without thanking us is not class act.

Advice to Management

Rely more on your District level managers vs making up new initiatives not vetted first by the field. Happy associates make better employees.

5. "Manager"

Former Employee - Manager in Deltona, FL
    Former Employee - Manager in Deltona, FL

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

fun great staff to work with

Cons

upper management doesn't know what each author is doing

Advice to Management

work together

"Office and Associate Reduction - a bad thing?"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Oswego, OR

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good Pay | Advancement Opportunities | Good support team

Cons

Moved out of state | A lot of turn over

"Executive Chef"

Current Employee - Executive Chef in South Bend, IN
    Current Employee - Executive Chef in South Bend, IN

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Steady work. Pay is good

Cons

Company is calling apart. Not the same. NO VALUES

Advice to Management

LISTEN

"Corporate Chaos Trickles Down"

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Entry level jobs (ones in communities) can be fulfilling.

The hours aren't bad for most positions.

With the proper systems/procedures in place–a well-run community will rarely experience any issues.

Benefits and 401k to any full-time employee.

Travel perks/free temporary lodging in company-owned locations.

Free meals for each shift worked. Your experience may vary.

Free slip-resistant footwear (so long as it is black.)

Cons

Corporate changes its mind about expensive projects/tests/new procedures so quickly that it's difficult to keep up.

Communication from corp to communities needs a lot of work.

Communities need to be held to the same standard, the difference in quality between any two can be wild.

Hours to budget is tight enough to be quite harmful to most communities.

Timelines for most entry-level positions are unrealistic. EX: Most Housekeepers must clean 5-8 apartments (Mix of studio, 1B, and 2B), wash/fold/dry the linens for those apartments, and manage resident concerns in about three hours. Four hours are reserved for restaurant style meal service, with one two-hour sitting in the morning and one just after noon. Forty-five minutes are reserved for a lunch break and a 15-minute break to eat breakfast. Many communities also grant their employees an extra 15-minute break to eat lunch.

Advice to Management

Give the housekeepers the whole eight hours to housekeep. Your communities will improve drastically if you do.

Update your HR software. Kronos is as antiquated as its namesake.

Stop putting through new initiatives every couple of months. Let the communities catch up/standardize.

Create a position specifically for the purpose of removing trash from communities. As it stands, HK doesn't have the time, and the residents have too much trash. In a community with eight 50'gallon trash bins, and one large Uline Tilt Truck, the task can be done in as little as 45 minutes. To reiterate: HK absolutely does not have 45 minutes with which to do trash.

9. "Assistant General Manager"

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time

Pros

Great experience with learning management, fantastic residents.

Cons

Consistency in the community a problem

Advice to Management

Need to think quick on your feet

"New Holiday"

Current Employee - Assistant General Manager in Vancouver, WA
    Current Employee - Assistant General Manager in Vancouver, WA

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Holiday is a great starter company for those trying to climb the ladder to success. If you would like a career in senior living this is a good place to start.

Cons

To many changes too quickly. Not very attentive to the needs of the associate unless it benefits the company which is typical for a corporate company.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, keep them ALL informed, and don't wait till the last minute to update on changes.