Holiday Retirement Reviews | Glassdoor

5.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Lilly Donohue

Pros
Cons
  • Very little positive support from your upper management (in 95 reviews)

• They have no regard for the work that community Managers do (in 60 reviews)

"Love my job"

Current Employee - General Manager in Enterprise, NV
    Current Employee - General Manager in Enterprise, NV

Pros

I have worked at several other retirement managements but Holiday for me is the best. Plenty of opportunity to grow. The residents are wonderful, I love each and every one of them. My plans are to stay here until I retire myself. Got the opportunity to speak one on one with Lilly, CEO, what a great woman! Her heart is so filled with love for all of Holiday residents (and associates)...who wouldn't follow her direction. Keep up the great job Lilly!

Cons

2016 was difficult with all the changes that came at once. But as things settle down it is starting to make sense. High sales push - but you need that to keep your building full. The life balance hasn't come my way yet but I'm trying hard to get there.

Advice to Management

Be sensitive as we all make these changes some of us adapt quicker than others.

"Good company"

I have been working at Holiday Retirement (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working with seniors is the most rewarding job! I am happy to see they are looking for Quality managers. The company is now trusting the communities to run their business.

Cons

A lot of changes too quickly. I understand that some of them had a timeframe in which they had to be complete, but it was a lot at once.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to the people in the field.

"Sensible and Thoughtful"

Former Employee - Analysis in Lake Oswego, OR
    Former Employee - Analysis in Lake Oswego, OR

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-- Pay was good
    -- People were thoughtful about the company and its customers
    -- Good systems and resources

Cons

-- Mission vs. margin could sometimes lean toward mission too much.
    -- Change -- things were always changing

Advice to Management

Think beyond the next month and more about the future of what could go from a good to great product.

"Family"

Current Employee - Server/Kitchen Help in Yuma, AZ
    Current Employee - Server/Kitchen Help in Yuma, AZ

I have been working at Holiday Retirement (More than a year)

Pros

The residents there are so great, they treat you like family. I love them!

Cons

You would have to make your own desicions on this subject.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Flex Manager in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Flex Manager in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Community full of Happy Residents and Happy Workers working in a very Happy Environment. Home office making great changes to make things even better. Wonderful to be working at Holiday and experience the best IL company in the industry.

Cons

Wish changes in community management had come sooner.

Advice to Management

Keep keeping the residents needs of utmost importance.

"Resident Assistant"

Pros

Management was very respectable to their workers. Insurance was second to none. Free food on lunch break.

Cons

Not sure if career advancements are possible

"Superb Team at HQ"

Pros

The corporate office is staffed with intelligent, effective professionals who strike a nice balance between getting stuff done and enjoying days in the office. Team unity never feels forced or boring, a rarity at most corporate offices.

Cons

The sales strategy is out of date; pushy sales leaders likely chase away more conversions than they complete. The "coffee is for closers" mentality is antiquated in an age where consumers just have to believe THEY ALONE made an informed decision, not that they got sold by someone else.

Advice to Management

Increase focus on social media and reputation sites. They feel like intangible, minor priorities right now, but more online research means reduced opportunities to make a positive first impression when so many communities have negative feedback so easy to find.

9. "housekepper/ laundry"

Former Employee - Housekeeper in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Housekeeper in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Holiday Retirement (More than 10 years)

Pros

great boss to work for.great team work

Cons

not enough hours in the winter

Advice to Management

Gloria west the bess I have ever worked for.

"Community Sales Leader, Lead Community Manager"

Current Employee - Community Sales Leader in Shreveport, LA
    Current Employee - Community Sales Leader in Shreveport, LA

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing opportunity to meet and work with a fascinating group of people. Residents are the best source for the motivation to keep doing what is a rewarding way to make a difference in the lives of others. Requires true commitment to strive for quality associates dedicated to provide the Holiday Touch each and every day. Perfect for A type overachievers who make it their own mission in life to make sure your community meets and exceeds the company expectation of quality. Since I have run the communities I was assigned to as well as the sales side. My exposure to the challenges of each role an associate plays to the resident satisfaction has helped to keep grounded in providing valuable support and recognition to associates for the hard work they do each day. Building great relationships with the residents, ultimately they too add valuable support during the sales process. Ultimately the relationship between us all shines through during a prospective residents tour and helps reassure them this is a wonderful place to be. Lots of travel involved if you're a committed to going to communities in need.

Cons

Long hours, lots of travel away from family, not much time for my own family

Advice to Management

Greater advancement opportunities for front line problem solvers who have been working in the field successfully and have the experience to be true leaders in the Regional and District levels.

Holiday Retirement Response

May 31, 2016 – Human Resources Representative

The is such great feedback. We are always looking for positive feedback to help us improve our associate's experience. Please speak with your regional director and your regional sales leader about ... More

"An Honest review"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Innovative company making progressive positive changes for seniors and employees.

Cons

I have always believed the people do not leave companies, they leave people. I don't have any complaints about the company. I knew exactly what I was getting into when I applied, to start complaining now about any of it would be unfair. All companies will experience some sort of change. It's up to me to decide the extent of which I want to either change with the company, tolerate or move on. The hardest part of working for any company is the people- we don't always have a choice in who we work for or with. So far...it's been good.

Advice to Management

Work shouldn't feel like work. If it's not "fun" its not worth it.