Holiday Retirement Reviews | Glassdoor

2.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Lilly Donohue

Pros
Cons
  • Very little positive support from your upper management (in 96 reviews)

• They have no regard for the work that community Managers do (in 61 reviews)

"Wonderful Company to Work For"

Former Employee - Director of Marketing in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Director of Marketing in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Excellent pay
    -Wonderful Home Office Support Staff
    -Excellent Housekeeping/Dining Room Staff
    -Perfect Holiday Structure (you get your birthday off or double pay if you work!)
    -Bonus Structure is insanely PERFECT

I miss Holiday so very very much.

Cons

-Unprofessional management (at my property)
    They hid my leads from me and hindered me from doing my job which resulted in the worst possible outcome. I was not permitted to do the job in which I was hired.
    -Office Politics will most certainly be the death of you.
    Extremely stressful and overwhelming.

Advice to Management

Allow your fellow managers to do their job without letting your need for power hinder them.

If I got a call today to go back, I would in a heartbeat.

2. "good company values, poor compensation"

I have been working at Holiday Retirement part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Company actually cares about employees on all levels, even the hourly wage high school employees.

Cons

Unless you work in management you don't get enough hours or don't get paid enough.

"Great Place To Work!"

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, awesome recruiting manager!

Cons

No cons thus far been nothing but awesome!

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work HQ is the best place to be!

5. "Holiday isn't like many report, it is a Great place to work!"

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Love the reward when dealing with residents, families and employees. Everyone focused on making lives of Seniors better! A great community that is focused on the Resident. The Company does a great job maintaining the buildings. Teamwork is critical, as long as each works together to the common goal. Sales are fun. Functions are divided equally as long as each other carries their weight. It is for someone who has a drive to succeed

Cons

A difficult job, however still fun. Serving anyone who is living is longer than a 9-5 job. The Company does a great job in setting proper staffing in the Community. People who are lazy will not be successful.

Advice to Management

Stay the course. Encourage those that express how much they enjoy their job to report on the blog. The Company is getting a bad name because of some bad hires. There are many people like myself who enjoy working here, however we aren't speaking to the good things. As the saying goes, those that don't like something are first to tell others........most cases they are the problem for not liking it. I know there are many people in my Region that really enjoy the work they do. Bad people have bad experiences, however scaring good people away! Nothing is perfect, however you are doing the right thing by being more selective in hiring. Many who aren't successful shouldn't have been selected to be hired to begin with.

6. "Great opportunity and friendly work environment"

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Lake Oswego, OR
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Lake Oswego, OR

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is a great company to work for. I’ve read the bad reviews. I can’t speak to the past experiences of others, but my experience has been outstanding. It has been a great growth opportunity and an enjoyable working environment. The company employs many talented people and the new leadership that has recently come into the organization is exemplary, especially the HR leadership. This company has a bright future.

Cons

Should be a more casual corporate environment.

"Lovin my job"

Current Employee - CSL in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - CSL in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The managers are great, my ASL and RSL are both helpful and motivating they both are only a phone call away, the residents

Cons

Balancing time with daily duties and outreach

"This company equips you VERY WELL to succeed in a position here."

Current Employee - Community Manager

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working together with my wife, rent/utilities/food all paid for, very clear expectations, all the tools need to succeed and the satisfaction of improving the lives of seniors.

Cons

As with any large company, there tends to be many decisions made strictly objectively when there are clearly times that subjective flexibility is necessary.

Advice to Management

An increase in 'initial training' focus for new managers could avoid much of the excess turnover. A larger percentage of 'initial training' time spent on operations would better equip a new management team. Some budgets could be increased by just a little and, yet, have a disproportionally large positive impact in many areas.

"If you know you are the Best.... DO IT!"

Current Employee - Community Manager

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

OUR COMMUNITY ! Our ASSOCIATES ! Our Neighbors !
    All we do to make our Residents enjoy their Senior years !
    We have a great product, We need to BELIEVE in ourselves and our Company !
    Remember .. the grass is not always GREENER ! Do your best every day for your own peace of mind. Recall the Serenity prayer !

Cons

Negativity of people ! Remember upper Management sets the Stage... the MD's are the key to a happy Community.. IF the MD respects his or her RD;s they will trickle down the respect and so on and so on.... We need the SUPPORT of the Entire TEAM from the top down ! The Company's weakest link is OREGON !

Advice to Management

Wake up .. COMMUNICATE .. do NOT Dictate ! Make the right decisions that will help the front line respect and retain residents and associates for as long as we can ! STOP the daily harassment from the MD's RD's and RSL >>>

"Lot's of opportunity to grow and develop"

Current Employee - Recruitment in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Recruitment in Portland, OR

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I find Holiday to have a fast paced work environment and yet on the other end there is flexibility when it is needed. I enjoy the fact the the expectations are more around getting the job done and less focused on "watching the clock". The work is hard, yet rewarding.

In addition, because this company has grown so fast over such a short period of time, there is a lot of opportunity to build and refine processes, be creative and innovative in the work, and make a difference with what we do.

Cons

There still isn't a lot of structure in place so often times tools and resources are not available or can be difficult to find.

Advice to Management

Continue to build and develop the tools and processes that need to be in place and maintain focus on the care of our residents.

11. "Challenging and rewarding opportunity working with seniors"

Current Employee - Regional Director in Lake Oswego, OR
    Current Employee - Regional Director in Lake Oswego, OR

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great growth opportunities, working with a group of talented people, continued support and training opportunites, open communication with divisional support

Cons

Not all ideas or procedures work for or in every region, short notice on policy changes, conflicting communication or miscommunication with changes.

Advice to Management

Better guidance on ways to communicate company wide changes and vision to employees to help with buy in from staff.