Holiday Retirement Reviews | Glassdoor

2.2
Lilly Donohue

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • upper management doesn't know what each author is doing (in 103 reviews)

• extremely long hours for those who are salaried (60 (in 64 reviews)

"Over worked and under paid,"

Current Employee - Manager in Salem, OR
    Current Employee - Manager in Salem, OR

Pros

Working to make retirement the best for the residents. They are why we stay there they become a part of your family.

Cons

Working months without help and only given 2 extra days off. Very stressful on a couple relationship.

Advice to Management

You should have never took the touch out of Holiday and replacing the couples with New young GM's has taken the family atmosphere away.
    Raising the rent increase to 4.6 to 6.0 percent on residents rent will make you have an empty Apt.

"A Very Disappointing Experience."

Former Employee - Co Manager in Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - Co Manager in Greenville, SC

Pros

The opportunity to enrich the lives of senior citizens . Working along side your spouse and a free apartment as a benefit..

Cons

The emphasis of this company is not on the happiness of their current residents but rather on budgets, employee time lines and the constant implications that management does nothing to increase the number of move-ins.
    Seniors in this type of environment tend to complain about everything, all of the time, creating a very negative atmosphere. Meals are a benefit but variety is limited to the likes and dislikes of the elderly. Hours are very long, sleep is often interrupted when seniors need assistance during the night. No holidays off unless they fall on your regularly scheduled day off or any extra compensation for working holidays. The management team concept is only in theory. Managers make the rules of operation, co managers do the same work for less money.

Advice to Management

Perhaps you could try one set of managers on site, one off site Assistant Manager and one administrative assistant. Hire more floater managers. Rediscover what Independent Retirement actually means. Walkers, motorized wheelchairs and an abundance of hired caregivers do not attract active retirees and take up much more of the management's day that you apparently know.

"After you leave"

Former Employee - Executive Chef in Evansville, IN
    Former Employee - Executive Chef in Evansville, IN

Pros

Most weekends off- good enough amount of money to spend monthly-yearly incentive for being on budget- I had a great staff and great residents

Cons

No consistency in training. Managers not knowing their job. Mixed reviews by upper management. Gossip that goes on behind your back while you still work there. Floating chefs are a poor example of the holiday touch. Too much focus on marketing instead of focusing on the residents that you currently have and keeping them happy. Word of mouth is the best advertisement and the company is focused on money money money instead of the right employees to do the right job and keep uniformity to keep the residents happy and content. The focus of this company is in the wrong place and I was drowing everyday that I was there. Floater chefs say I was cheap but I spent my money allowed and stuck to the menu while giving extended choices that were related to the interest of my residents. I left because the philosophy of the company has changed. Anything that costs money but provide the touch are ignored and focus is on Special events that lead to no move ins and irritated residents that their home is a hosting ground at least several time per month to host special events and disrupt their normal life. I am more irritated at the feedback I receive now not being an employee than when I worked there. Mind you I gave a notice and was not fired, I was always on budget and even attended the Culinary Conclave. I was not a troubled employee and I received my quarterly and yearly bonuses.

Advice to Management

Focus on effective training and keeping your employees happy. Happy employees lead to happy residents. Focus on uniformity and the residents you have and ways to keep them then ways to make them move out faster. Try walking in the shoes of real managers and the kitchen staff who busts their tail everyday to ensure that the residents are happy.

"Seniors are great, work load increasing to monumental proportions, work during your meal time a new one."

Former Employee - Co-Manager in Shreveport, LA
    Former Employee - Co-Manager in Shreveport, LA

Pros

Never boring, interesting people, having fun with the residents, sometimes we are the only persons who care for the resident due to indifferent family members or those who have no family left alive. Providing a welcoming home to a person who cannot take care of all the daily aspects of cooking, shopping and cleaning and keeping them secure in a safe atmosphere.

Cons

Upper management led by RD's who have no experience in the field of elderly housing that borders on assisted living.
    Failure of management to advertise in effective advertising that doesn't border on a Pyramid scheme, i.e. move a resident in, get a list of all his or her friends, church members, relatives, etc, invite them to meals, get them on a YGL list and call them a many times as possible to get them to move in. Next let's start in on the Veteran's Aid and Attendance to get move ins so let's have an event each week whether you have a speaker or not, just get them in the door.
    Rent rates going up so much each year makes you want to go into hiding each month when the new rates have to be given out.
    RD's who do not want to associate with co-managers or the residents.
    Unrealistic job duties.

Advice to Management

You need to go back to the grassroots of Holiday and relearn how to do it, the residents come first.
     Quit trying to make money by raising the rent to more than a lot of residents can afford.
    Hire more help in the kitchens so the food can be brought to a better standard, so much for all of the expanded menus when it has to be flung together in haste.
     Have Rd's who know what they are looking for in a building and who investigate instead of assuming.
    Find some more practical ways of advertising such as TV, everyone else uses it, even if a person doesn't remember a phone number listed, they can look it up and find a listing even on the internet.
    How about some actual building repairs and painting for curb appeal. For the rental rates would your mom be caught dead in one of the buildings. And you're going to China.

5. "too much for too little"

Pros

I fell in love with the resident the first month I worked

Cons

too many hours,the only reward was working with residents,Upper management turned my position into a call center type job,making calls to get more move ins..This was not part of the training..

Advice to Management

they need to give more thought into who they are hiring for these positions,managers and co-managers.

"Rewarding with regards to my staff, however no support from upper management."

Former Employee - Community Manager in Hemet, CA
    Former Employee - Community Manager in Hemet, CA

Pros

Being able to experience the changes in the senior residences that I was responsibile, will always miss them.

Cons

Recruiters and upper management do not really fully explain what the job is really all about. Rude awaking when you have given up everything and you start to spiral down from day one.

Advice to Management

The parent company needs to really understand what is expected of them if they want to really compete in the senior retirement business.

"Holiday is no Holiday."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Pros

You meet some pretty amazing people that will touch your life forever. This is the ONLY thing that I loved about my job, the Residents.

Cons

Holiday is a very cheap company. My values and integrity were tested everyday when we had to tell the residents no, because of management's poor planning and bad budgeting. I would feel awful because the residents deserve so much better than what they are getting.

Advice to Management

Hire people who are truly there for the resident and not just to bring home a paycheck, this can be a very rewarding job if there were better people in charge.

"At first it was the best job I ever had and it slowly became the worst job I ever had"

Former Employee - Co-Manager in Chelmsford, MA
    Former Employee - Co-Manager in Chelmsford, MA

Pros

The best reason to work at holiday was the residence of the people who work there in the building

Cons

The upper management has no clue what's going on in each building and the competition between the managers and the comanagers is terrible we have we had worked for the managers from hell in one building and the managers from heaven in another building

Advice to Management

Well it would be to get back all of the managers that they have gotten rid of over the last couple years . But they should at least trained the new people that they have a little bit longer than three weeks.

"I have never been so micro-managed in my life!"

Current Employee - CSL in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - CSL in Denver, CO

Pros

Working with seniors using my past knowledge, consultative skills and love seniors!

Cons

Know absolutely nothing about selling to seniors!!! Used car sales mentality! They think aggressive selling and closing on a first visit will work with seniors! Upper management has NO LONG TERM CARE EXPERIENCE! Salary is a joke and even when you have success, it's not good enough! Holiday is an awesome product but I am ashamed and embarrassed to work for the people I work for.

Advice to Management

Get a clue. If you're going to hire successful sales persons with Senior Living experience, leave them alone and they'll succeed. And its not by making 25 calls/day! If I'm micro managed one more day, I'm walking. I guess that's why so many others have as well. Would you sell your parents this way?

"No respect for Employees"

Pros

The residents are the reason I stay. They become like extended family. To bad all the management care about is getting new seniors to move in.

Cons

The pay is bad, but the respect you get from upper management is worse. I go well beyond my job to make life for the residents better. After 3 years I get twenty six cents an hour more than the day I started. I get very high marks on reviews, but no respect or reasonable pay.

Advice to Management

If you would realize that your staff is your most valuable asset the company would be better off. In my building we spent more on changing the light bulbs to make the place shine more, than we did on employee raises. Turn over is very High in staff.