Holiday Retirement Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated September 22, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • upper management doesn't know what each author is doing (in 105 reviews)

• extremely long hours for those who are salaried (60 (in 65 reviews)

"Money greedy upper management"

Former Employee - General Manager in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - General Manager in Portland, OR

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Current company culture leaves me thinking there are no pros.

Cons

Overworked. No work life balance. Upper management pits managers against associates. Not enough money budgeted to buy quality food in proper quantities. Old and degraded buildings. Big changes are still coming that leave extremely vulnerable seniors at risk 12 hours every day. Many managers live up to an hour from the buildings with no employee available in case of an emergency.

Advice to Management

Stop playing games and work with managers. Look at the population in your buildings. They are people who should be in assisted living. You are a bunch of ostriches with your head in the sand.

"Currently seeking other jobs"

Current Employee - Enrichment Coordinator
    Current Employee - Enrichment Coordinator

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Like everyone says- working with the residents is a wonderful experience. There probably are opportunities to advance if you have the right attitude and ingratiate yourself to the right people (regional staff and other upper management).

Cons

I personally was hired to do a specific (office-based) job, and have been expected to pick up slack in other departments (mostly the kitchen, sometimes in housekeeping). Recently Holiday introduced a certification labeled "Community Team Lead," in which hourly staff members are trained to act as manager in case of their absence. This replaces the "Flex Manager" program, that allows individuals with actual management experience to travel to communities that are in need of temporary managers. I feel that this shortchanges residents as well as other staff, since having inexperienced managers especially in a senior living environment could be detrimental. ALSO- firings are common and often unexpected. This is a business to the core, concerned with profits and a narrow definition of "productivity," instead of experience and rapport with residents/clients.

Advice to Management

Value your community managers and staff for their daily presence in the community. Give them more credit for what they do every day.

"Over worked"

Former Employee - Executive Chef in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Executive Chef in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The residents are great, the staff I work with is wonderful and the benefits are decent. Paid holidays too (which you always have to work)

Cons

Time restraints, minimal budget for what's expected, not enough staff to complete what is needed. There should be a a housekeeper in the common areas on both Saturday and Sunday. Stop basing staffing levels on occupancy, that's absurd!

Advice to Management

Listen to employees that have been here a long time. Listen to the residents complaints and concerns. Try to KEEP existing residents instead of trying to always get new ones, regardless of their care needs. Stop bringing in residents to independent communities that should be in higher cars. Worry about the food rather than "how does the coffee bar look?" You need MORE STAFF and MORE HOURS.

"Part of hospitality industry"

I worked at Holiday Retirement (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working with the senior is always a fun, you learn a lot about life in general.

Cons

very little chance for the minorities to grow with this company

Advice to Management

Hire people with Hospitality back ground.

"Great training....BUT"

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time

Pros

The Seniors you work with are wonderful and many of your co-worker are helpful as well.

Cons

Upper management puts way too much pressure and have very unrealistic expectations of tasks needed to be done every day, especially with the major changes in management structure.

"I wanted to stay. They didn't want me"

Former Employee - Kitchen Helper in Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - Kitchen Helper in Richardson, TX

I worked at Holiday Retirement part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The residents are AWESOME! So many stories to hear and they really take interest in you as a person.

Cons

Having worked here (Richardson, Texas)for 4 months.This place COULD be a fantastic place to work. And I was told that it once WAS. But the management they have in place NOW is not anywhere close to ensuring a well run facility. If you decide to work here KNOW THIS. Come 7:30 or 8pm management leaves with the servers so anything you need to talk to them for needs to be done BEFORE dinner. Cause right after they are gonna split. They have a shortage of staff currently, due to management's inability to hire in a timely manner. The executive chef left about 2 months ago and they haven't replaced HIM yet. The PM chef left a month later (still no replacement) and I left a week ago, so there are 3 people running ALL meals for the day. (Which there SHOULD be 6 or 7) the ones currently are over worked and it can at times blend off into the quality of the meals. The waiting staff is comprised of mostly teenagers. And I mean 15 to 17 years old with a early 20's person thrown in. They only work 6 hours a day MAX (and that's if they work all 3 meals. 2 hours per meal) so they do not have the same converns as full time employee because they are teenagers. And they are worried about teenager things. And if they get upset they just quit. It's a never ending cycle. In the 4 months I worked there, we had 6 residents pass away. I also found out that when they pass away they are considered a " move out " so they don't have to say someone died. Even with all of this, I STILL wanted to stay and be around the residents. But I was only a part-time person (NOT by choice) and I tried and tried to get them to either give me full time or more pay, or AT LEAST more hours because I couldn't financially make it off of the pay I was receiving (11.50 an hour for a kitchen helper getting AT BEST 28 hours a week.) But my requests fell upon deaf ears. I kept trying up until my last 2 days. Management didn't care. I KNEW I was a good employee and was VERY good to the residents ( just ask them for yourself) but with the management as broken as it is currently. the amount of stuff the residents have to deal with ( and YOU potential employees) is DANGEROUSLY unfair. The residents deserve BETTER than what they are getting.The staff deserves BETTER than what they are getting. The main manager Chris is ok. He does his best to make things better. But thats really only doing damage control. Kenny is a complete waste of space. Knowing NOTHING about what's going on in the facility (safety, staffing, whats even on the menu's) and doesn't come out of his office unless he HAS TO (someone quit and he only has ONE 15 year old server who's first day was the day before serving the ENTIRE dining hall). They are having to call in chef's from other centers to come help because they can't seem to find a professional chef that wants to be paid $13 an hour. They aides are stealing from the company. The main chef gets drunk on the job ( just look under his desk there is a 3/4 bottle of Peach Schnapps already consumed) The other kitchen helper can BARELY READ! He has ALREADY been busted for bringing in drugs to residents and is open about smoking weed and yet HE STILL HAS A JOB!?And someone like me who is all about the place not stealing and doing drugs and making the residents happy that they chose to be there cant even get more hours after voicing that I WANT TO STAY?! The El Dorado doesnt know what its doing. Its NOT wanting to keep good employees. I really tried to stay but financially I couldn't survive (and I told them that 2 MONTHS before I quit) on what I was being given. And the management didnt care. So best of luck. Your gonna need it.

Advice to Management

My advice to the management is to quit pushing your people out. When you have someone that WANTS to be there find a way to KEEP them. My advice to the UPPER MANAGEMENT ( OWNER, COORDINATORS, DECISION MAKERS)
    Fire the "managers" you currently have because they are costing you ALOT of money. They are idiots and don't know how to run the facility properly. And if you want someone to come in and fix things give me a call. I'd be HAPPY to get rid of the dead weight FOR you.

"Retain not all retraining !"

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A very large Company with many Levels. Good Benefit package. Our residents, families and associates. Dedication of those associates.

Cons

Not much on promotion from within. Regionals are COLD to associates and use a lot of double talk. Co has lost it's core value of Compassion for Residents. It is better to retain residents and not price them out of their homes.
    Company needs to not let so many really good trained folks leave .. Retain the good managers with tenure and that know the pressures of operating the Community. Consistency is very important and it is not where it need to be.
    Now the Flex program is gone and the CTL program will mean more pressure on the team doing 2 jobs.... something will suffer.

Advice to Management

The new GM/AGM/OM program is a good decision. However, slow down and listen to the residents who are moving out... you need to keep a overnight concierge on site for peace of mind of the residents and families who came to a Holiday community for security and safety. This overnight person can have some cleaning duties and some paperwork as well as availability for residents issues.
    Take the time to Listen. Lily has a good vision, but losing so many top people at such a crucial, pivotal time in this Co. may sink this large ship !

"Corporate HQ relocating-Too Many Changes"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Oswego, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Oswego, OR

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fulfillment from helping seniors or in my case helping our community associates who are in the field caring for seniors. Lots of great people working in the field and here at HQ. I'm sorry to see my role ending.

Cons

We have a new president (Lily) who is negative and rude in person. The CEO is also very removed from the community level. Too much turnover which is disruptive to our seniors and other non manager staff member's. The company seems to be moving away from managing communities and moving into new ventures. Casting aside the entire head office staff without thanking us is not class act.

Advice to Management

Rely more on your District level managers vs making up new initiatives not vetted first by the field. Happy associates make better employees.

"Assistant General Manager"

Former Employee - Lead Manager/Assistant General Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Lead Manager/Assistant General Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome residents who makes your day brighter.

Cons

Long hours, overwhelming amount of work for not enough pay. No support from corporate. Constant sell, sell, sell. No resolution from employee relations for work issues. Find a job somewhere else!

Advice to Management

Curb employee turnover by supporting your employees and offer sound resolutions to issues/problems when they arise. Put yourself in the manager's seat and experience what they experience on a daily basis. Maybe then you'll be able to identify and approach issues from a different angle.

"Sales"

Current Employee - Sales in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than a year)

Pros

New Sales Leadership at Head Office level (Rick Wigginton) has a new fresh approach to sales. Gives a lot more atonomy to run your own sales business at your location.

Cons

Rumors of Holiday selling or merging with other company have employees wondering what is in the future