Holiday Retirement Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated September 22, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • upper management doesn't know what each author is doing (in 105 reviews)

• extremely long hours for those who are salaried (60 (in 65 reviews)

1. "Manager"

Former Employee - Manager in Deltona, FL
    Former Employee - Manager in Deltona, FL

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

fun great staff to work with

Cons

upper management doesn't know what each author is doing

Advice to Management

work together

"Poor Work/Life Balance"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Lake Oswego, OR
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Lake Oswego, OR

I worked at Holiday Retirement (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay was good, if you know how to negotiate. Flexible schedule/work form home options

Cons

Poor employee appreciation, no real mentoring program/employee development, extremely "penny" oriented since the company sold in 2007

Advice to Management

Communicate with employees, especially details that affect an individuals job responsibilities and success.

"Steer Clear of this organization!"

Former Employee - Assistant General Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant General Manager

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time

Pros

The training was great but after that the wheels come off of this wagon! I guess if you like sales, this may be the aging services organization for you.

Cons

Simply steer clear of this organization if you care about being appreciated, valued and paid fairly. They care little for their employees, you are truly just a means to their profitability.

Advice to Management

Look at how you actually treat your staff. And what you did to home office personnel was sinful!

4. "Good Company"

Former Employee - Kitchen Staff and Maintenance in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Kitchen Staff and Maintenance in Portland, OR

I worked at Holiday Retirement part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Easy job - Worked in kitchen and maintenance

Cons

Management was worked very hard at senior facilities and had a lot of quotas.

Advice to Management

Upper management needs to be more friendly and help lower management

5. "AGM"

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Best job I've ever had, hands down!! Working with seniors is so rewarding! Truly feel blessed to work here!! They promote from within first. They truly want you to succeed!! Yes, people, it's a business, they are not a non profit organization so stop your whining and maybe you'd actually enjoy your job!!! I love it here!!!!

Cons

Only real con to me is I'm on my feet all day! Otherwise, it's awesome. It's a corporate business and those that bash this company obviously don't understand that.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!!!

Holiday Retirement Response

Jul 17, 2017 – Human Resources Representative

It is great to hear that you love your job serving our residents! We do want you to succeed, and we are continuously looking for ways to improve employee satisfaction and provide the best services... More

"Too much stress!"

Current Employee - Night Cook
    Current Employee - Night Cook

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Enjoy working with the residents. Getting to hear stories from when they were young helps you understand them better.

Cons

Corporate adds more and more to the list to do and still expect them to be completed in an 8 hr shift. Everyone is stressed to the max. Bosses don't help by favoring incompetent workers and adding what the bad workers don't do to the hard workers list.

Advice to Management

Build the employees up by complimenting when someone does good and not just with WOW points. Don't cater to those who always slack off.

7. "Make a difference"

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time

Pros

Excellent training and career advancement

Cons

Restructuring has created some moral issues

Advice to Management

Don't micromanage

"Worst management ever"

Former Employee - Housekeeper in Branford, CT
    Former Employee - Housekeeper in Branford, CT

I worked at Holiday Retirement part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working with the elderly and their families.

Cons

The managers are pushy, rude and very disrespectful to their employees. No human being should be treated like this.

Advice to Management

Close your doors and drop off the face of the earth before the lawsuits take you down.

"Disheartening"

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Residents and co-workers can make for a special, fun and rewarding work environment. Holiday used to be a great company to work for. Benefits were reasonably good. Advancing was fairly easy in the old days if you worked hard and proved yourself.

Cons

This company is unrecognizable from its glory days. I spent seven years with the company in varying roles and always felt proud of what Holiday offered to its staff and residents. I would have enthusiastically encouraged it to any seniors seeking/needing the lifestyle. I would never do that now. I believe the they are offering an inferior product compared to most if not ALL competitors. To be the "premier senior enrichment brand" or whatever that line was that Lilly emphasized - you choose to turn ECs into receptionists for the majority of their week? That's unheard of. Most IL/AL have FT activity roles with assistants as well. So you've cut quality there. While there are pros to the new management configuration, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a resident who honestly prefers it to the comfort and security they once knew. They miss manager coffee pours, etc. it was something that set Holiday apart, an attractive trait that many gravitated to over the competitor. There are more cons but I mainly feel for the couples who were let go, the residents who are getting less than they signed up for, the ECs who are stuck behind desks doing a myriad of odd jobs, something Tess was always opposed to and for good reason. Removing flex managers and putting the brunt on existing non-manager staff that are in roles already stretched too thin puts strain on the whole community and team. The residents pick up on ALL of these negative dynamics. Thankfully Hawthorn exists and some fortunate residents can receive that old fashioned graciousness that Holiday once provided - where it truly was ALL about the resident. If you're looking to join the senior living industry, look elsewhere. This company is full of surprises and no job feels secure. Too many changes too suddenly has left staff and residents feeling jarred, untrusting and unhappy. Wait for the dust to settle and hopefully stability will return.

Advice to Management

I of course don't get the inner workings of running a company of this size and steering it forward but to the people "in the trenches" it feels like you've gotten away from the real purpose of these communities. It feels like you're all about the dollar and the dollar only. It feels like you haven't handled these transitions honestly and in a way that put staff and residents at ease. It has felt polarizing and negative. It has left a bad taste in everyones mouths. All of these avenues you are pursuing feel distracting and odd. I keep hoping to hear good stuff from the numerous residents and coworkers I've kept in contact with but it's not happened yet. For the sake of them, I hope it all comes together and that they can all feel good about "Holiday" again. What made Holiday TRULY great and successful and "premier" in the first place feels to many like it no longer remains. So, if you're no longer GREAT in the eyes of those you shepherd? WHAT exactly have you become?

"Member of Management"

Former Employee - Manager in Bloomington, IL
    Former Employee - Manager in Bloomington, IL

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The residents are amazing people.

Cons

Everything outside of the residents.

Advice to Management

WARNING: Read the reviews, it's been said already on numerous occasions. Research the company, I mean an in-depth research not just these reviews.