Holiday Retirement Reviews | Glassdoor

Holiday Retirement Reviews

Updated February 20, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • Very little positive support from your upper management (in 95 reviews)

• They have no regard for the work that community Managers do (in 60 reviews)

"Is the Ship Sinking ??"

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

We all say the Residents and their Families. Our Teams of wonderful dedicated associates.
    Our warm and inviting Communities. The fact that in our Communities we make it work every day as an extended Family so that our Customer Service level is a 10.

Cons

Lack of respect from the associates above the Community level to the TOP. We know you think things will get better, but you have destroyed the Culture and Integrity this Company was founded on. So many very good people from Community to the Top have abandoned the ship as it sinks. Be certain you know where the life jackets are !

What ever happed to the national committee of Managers, RD, C level, that were to work together and provide feedback?

Advice to Management

Please take a deep breath and look around you. Why are so many people unhappy. You need to not Fix something that was not broken. The Communities serves Seniors in many ways above and beyond what is expected and that needs recognition and respect. They are the Teams that make Holiday what it is. Not RDO. DVPO, RDS, DVPS , ... talk with this level about respect. Thank you !

"Community Co-Manager"

Former Employee - Community Co-Manager in Olympia, WA
    Former Employee - Community Co-Manager in Olympia, WA

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working with seniors/ compassion - housing

Cons

Company focus is on making money - little concern for resident satisfaction

Advice to Management

Quit trying to recruit new residents by telling them you care about them

"General manager"

Former Employee - Community Management Team
    Former Employee - Community Management Team

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Residents are fun and caring for each other.

Cons

Corporate hires incompetent general managers who do not know how to be kind to people or staff.

Advice to Management

Stop being so greedy. You get what you pay for. If you paid staff more they would not have reason to leave. Servers staff is a joke. Nobody is loyal because they can make more at subway or McDonald's. Your system is self serving. Cutting costs, and raise rents is the reason occupancy will never be where it was for so many years. I predict you will have to close doors in the near future as occupants flock to a better community.

"Dont even waste your time (3+ year employee)"

Current Employee - Sales Leader
    Current Employee - Sales Leader

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Not many Pros in this job:
    Interaction with seniors - You get to learn their life's adventures, listen to their stories.
    Salary- Your pay is consistent.
    Schedule- Tuesday-Saturday
    Benefits- 401K, dental, vision, health, PTO, sick time.

Cons

Your interaction with the seniors is slim to none. You move them in, and then unfortunately your brainwashed to move to the next new lead to move them in. Building internal relationships is not important to the company. You are asked to eat, sleep, breathe sales. If you do not sit in your office chair for 8+ hours straight to make 20+ calls a day, you are a failure. If you do not do 80+ outreach a month, you are a failure. If you are not calling a new lead within 10 minutes, you are a failure. You must plan two "events" a month and have 10 new leads generated from that event if not, you are a failure. If you exceed your communities move in goal, but you still have vacancies, you are a failure. This company will never reward you for your efforts, nor do they care because you are easily replaceable. Your regional director of sales, doesn't have much experience and are happy to yell at you while they sit in the comforts of their home. My regional was always vacuuming and grocery shopping, that's why she couldn't answer her phone. You are required to work the last weekend of the month. You work 10 days straight, and then are given your two days off which ends up being in the middle of the week. You are a slave worker, just turn down the job. So many other senior living competitors out there.

Advice to Management

Management doesn't listen to what you have to say, so this would be pointless to comment.

Holiday Retirement Response

Feb 13, 2017 – Human Resources Representative

It's very unfortunate to hear your dissatisfaction with Holiday Retirement. We strive to continuously improve and provide the best services and experience for our residents and associates. We are ... More

"Co-Manager"

Former Employee - Co-Manager
    Former Employee - Co-Manager

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Creating lasting relationships with residents, and their family members.

Cons

Employee turnover is at an all time high, however employee retention has been an unresolved issue for years.

Residents, associates and family members are amazingly compassionate, and insightful about changes taking place. Yet, their voiced concerns are not being heard, nor addressed appropriately.

Yes, this is a business. Yes, a business needs to turn a profit. One only need to look at public financials to realize Holiday Retirement is indeed turning quite a handsome profit.

However, Holiday Retirement is in the business of 'Human Beings'. Spend some funds on opening the lines of communication, and truly 'listening'.

The 'badge', which is a required piece of one's working uniform, is not implemented, enforced, or encouraged in any way. There is no 'accountability'.

There is plenty of 'hype' during the interview ('courting' stage), there is very little 'compassion' or compensation once you've passed through the looking glass.

Advice to Management

Employee retention is just one of many deficits today, and in the past, which clearly need investigating by those at the top. The turnover rate is a clear indicator that 'something' isn't working within the cog.

Micromanage those in charge of, and who work in regions; e.g. R.D.'s, G.M.'s and A.G.M.'s.

Obtain feedback from all associates, open the lines of communication, and cross-train all management. There seems to be a culture attitude of, "It's my community, my R.D. told me to run it the way I need to run it. Therefore, your insight or guidance is not wanted, nor needed. And I'll be keeping you out of the loop, by using my secret tool. No open lines of communication."

The new structure can be an amazing tool for future growth, however, you can't expect projections of growth when serious issues from the past (and I don't mean twenty years ago) have not been addressed.

Holiday Retirement Response

Jan 27, 2017 – Human Resources Representative

Thank you for sharing your feedback. It's very unfortunate to hear your dissatisfaction with Holiday Retirement. We strive to continuously improve and provide the best services and experience for ... More

"So unhappy employees"

Current Employee - Employee
    Current Employee - Employee

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time

Pros

Now a days i dont know of any this company has gone down! Not a great place to work anymore!! What happened to Holiday!!

Cons

There are no more cons with this company! Been with holiday for 12years now! I use too love my job!! But now i hate hate my job!! Time to move on!!

Advice to Management

No advice for managers! Regional managers! Wont do any good they dont listen to employees!!

"Disappointed"

Former Employee - Management
    Former Employee - Management

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Loved working with the residents, you become more than friends and are able to make a difference in their lives.

Cons

Not enough time for the staff of three versus four to complete work. Residents are compromised with food quality and lack of management involvement especially with them living off site. Residents are very unhappy, rightfully so. Holiday has become so diversified it is not concentrating on the base business the Communities.

Advice to Management

Please review food program and management roles.

"Sales"

Current Employee - Community Sales Leader
    Current Employee - Community Sales Leader

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with seniors getting to be apart of there life and being a helping hand . Pay is not bad bonus structure is ok the team is awesome to work with .

Cons

Pressure of numbers and to many conference call when your time can be better spent . Every sales position has the pressure of numbers but when the need of a senior is over shadowed by the push to get numbers then their becomes a problem. No one likes a pushy sales person we need to be able to be caring and compassionate at the same time as being helpful.

Advice to Management

Put the resident and there needs first that's what is most important in a senior community . Appreciate your good employees and show them they matter .

"Sales Leader"

Former Employee - Sales Leader
    Former Employee - Sales Leader

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits, and pay. Sales can focus on the sales while the management runs the building.

Cons

Contant pressure to move people in regardless if in their best interest. or communities. Higher level management making determination's on needs for the community without ever setting foot in it.
    No work life balance.

Advice to Management

Stop making decisions based off of algorithm's and not on the actual product.
    LISTEN to the employee's who are in the trenches in the communities. They are who will make or break your company.

"Manager"

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time

Pros

The Residents co-workers that work with their heart but do not last long

Cons

This company should be sued again!!! No regard for residents now no live in management. They should have a security guard but Corporate greed gets away with not having one. Sales leaders are not sleeping at night they rented under lots of false pretense. Run Away!!!!

Advice to Management

Get rid of Lilly Donohue we are in America not China.