Holiday Retirement Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated July 19, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Very little positive support from your upper management (in 102 reviews)

• extremely long hours for those who are salaried (60 (in 62 reviews)

1. "Manger"

Current Employee - Lead Housekeeper in Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Lead Housekeeper in Lansing, MI

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They are a good team with staff and residence

Cons

Some people just don't like to do there jobs at times but we are working on that

Advice to Management

Let's Build a better team

"Sales Leader"

Current Employee - Sales Leader in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Leader in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have had a wonderful experience working for Holiday. It's such a joy working with Seniors. I had a wonderful RDS which really appreciated the hard work I put in. The team we have has been great to work with and helped me every step of the way.

Cons

Need more promotion within.
    Can be long hours
    Lots of change

Advice to Management

If change is a must then check on your communities to see how things are going. Sit down with your teams and work them through and reassure them. Don't up and change regions and take good leadership away. We took the job to work for them.

Holiday Retirement Response

Mar 10, 2017 – Human Resources Representative

Thank you for your input. It is a joy to work with seniors and provide the Holiday Touch! We are glad to hear about your positive experience. We recently implemented a General Manager Advisory... More

"Horrible company to work for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menomonee Falls, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menomonee Falls, WI

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

working with seniors and location

Cons

No promotions within and biased

Advice to Management

Reach out to see why people quit. Another law suit will be ensued because of blatant fraud.

"Flexibility"

Current Employee - Maintenance Engineer in Lakewood, CO
    Current Employee - Maintenance Engineer in Lakewood, CO

I have been working at Holiday Retirement (More than 8 years)

Pros

I like the flexibility of choosing my own hours. The job is constantly changing allowing room for growth. You are provided free food on shift.

Cons

The pay is short for the job. Being on call 24/7 with out compensation. The constant change in management. Complaints aren't heard.

Advice to Management

Have more people on staff to help with large projects.

"Crazy Train!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Former Employee - Office Manager in Fort Collins, CO
    Former Employee - Office Manager in Fort Collins, CO

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The only pro I can think of is the occasional nice resident that you get to have a chat with.

Cons

I was here less than a month and it felt like 100 years. I was hired as the office manager but I was not trained on anything that they said I would be doing in the job description. Instead I was taking out 50 lb bags of garbage, vacuuming the halls, serving in the dining room (apparently you do not need a food handlers card to do so, EW) bussing the tables, cleaning out storage space, and any other obscure task they had lying around. All the residents were very unhappy and constantly complained. The hallways in the stairwells smelled like pee. When I tried to talk to upper management about my concerns of not being trained on the tasks I was hired to do management just got defensive and turned things around on me. I also had to work 10-11 hour days. These retirement independent living homes are terrible to work in and I imagine to live in as well. If you get hired as the office manager be prepared to do everything but what you are hired to do!!! This place is awful!!! RUN FAR FAR FAR away!!!!!!!

Advice to Management

Get your stuff together! This place is completely mismanaged and Holiday retirement does not care about residents or employees they are just greedy and care about the all mighty dollar. These homes are severely understaffed to cut costs which leads to the office manager picking up all the slack because there are not enough janitors or servers on duty.

"Sales Leader"

Current Employee - Sales Leader in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Sales Leader in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Enriching the lives of seniors by offering a safe & social lifestyle

Cons

Unrealistic expectations from the top down- micromanaged to the extreme

Advice to Management

Remember the business is helping people not selling cars

Holiday Retirement Response

Apr 3, 2017 – Human Resources Representative

Thank you for taking the time to submit your comments. We are assessing our current programs and sales training classes with our residents best interest in mind. We appreciate your comments and... More

"Philosophy of senior care."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salem, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salem, OR

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I worked with a great group of employees. P.S. This would not let me enter the correct year that I resigned. Options available were only 2013 to 2017.

Cons

Much like a lot of companies...somewhat of a disconnect between executive level and mid-level managers but overall a great company.

Advice to Management

Home Office....Management, know the names of the employees, engage with them, empower them. Be sure to be as transparent as possible now that Fortress is no longer the owner.

"Great to work with seniors, but Job can be taxing."

Current Employee - General Manager in Bethel Park, PA
    Current Employee - General Manager in Bethel Park, PA

I have been working at Holiday Retirement (More than a year)

Pros

Caring for Seniors. Compassion-oriented job. Great for experience. Bonuses are fair. So-so insurance. Always something to do. Meal provided. Free travel Program around states.

Cons

Being pulled in 20 directions at once. Unrealistic sales goals at times. Different corporate departments contradict each other (one beast with multiple heads). Amount of change can be discouraging to seniors and staff.

Advice to Management

Must have lots of patience. And be open and positive to change.

"Do not waste your time"

Former Employee - Assistant General Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant General Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The residents and their families

Cons

New Holiday took our career as husband and wife and made it a job, each of us working in a different community, living off site, with all the expenses, then staying onsite in a guest suite. CEO does not care about ruining peoples marriages or lives. We all made the commitment, sold our house moved into the Community. Befriended all the residents and their families, who became truly our family and part of our lives. For the managers who complained about long hours, they should have found different jobs not ruined our lives.

Advice to Management

Change back to the way The Colson's started the business, appreciate the resident's and care about them and your managers.

"Regional Mgmt."

Former Employee - Regional Support Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Regional Support Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The relationships which are possible to build.

Cons

The current instability of the company. This company was just sold, again, and basically, a reorganization is taking place, rendering very few regional or district positions safe from the axe.

Advice to Management

Remember who you're serving here. It's the residents, remember them? The buildings are aging, dramatically, so fix them.., the field teams crave the support, so provide more, not less.., and give the residents the food they want you eat, stop spending the pennies you are, and loosen up those purse strings. You talk the talk, you do not walk the walk.