Holiday Retirement Reviews | Glassdoor

Holiday Retirement Reviews

Updated March 22, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • Very little positive support from your upper management (in 96 reviews)

• They have no regard for the work that community Managers do (in 61 reviews)

"Manager"

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working with the Senior Population enhancing their lives.0

Cons

Poor wages managers were moved off the property and Residents now have emergency devises rather that an in house system directly to manager on call.

Advice to Management

Move Managers back into the apartment complex. This offers some emotional
    security for this age group.

"Assistant General Manager"

Former Employee - Assistant General Manager in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Assistant General Manager in Tampa, FL

I worked at Holiday Retirement (Less than a year)

Pros

Working with the senior population

Cons

On-site manager program - never away from the job; company puts profit over service and the outcomes are: no staff development; low wages, poor working conditions (always short-staffed); pressure to perform at the highest levels of sales success without support; broken promises (work as a couple - for a short period of time and then separated).

Advice to Management

You are not on the cutting edge of senior care - you are more like the Dollar Tree!!!

"Terrible Management"

Current Employee - Server in Arlington, TX
    Current Employee - Server in Arlington, TX

I have been working at Holiday Retirement part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The hours are minimal and high turn over means you'll be a shift supervisor in no time!

Cons

There's no extra pay for holiday's (ironic...) for part time workers, yet they mandate you work holiday's. Lots of drama in the work place and the management and cooperate do nothing about it to address to the issues a particular worker might have with another worker (i.e. lay everything out with everyone. Instead everyone has their own, basically secret, meeting with management). Part time workers are feed crap all the time, and because they're at the bottom they can't do anything about it. Bullied multiple times by the same worker over and over again. Discriminates against age.

Advice to Management

Fire people when they need to be fired. Don't let your best employees walk out the door because of 1 employee. 6 people to date have quite because of 1 person. They ain't gonna bully me out of job.

"Ec"

Current Employee - Enrichment Coordinator
    Current Employee - Enrichment Coordinator

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Spending valuable time with residents prior to these changes ... lending them an ear to listen too as they just want to be heard. Feeling the satisfaction when one greets you early in the morning.

Cons

Buildings are becomming very hostile to work in as everyone is on edge. I have been with this company for 11 years now and never have i seen it get this bad. I gave my life to holiday and they only want more from me. I feel disrespected from my manager as all he cares about is collecting his bonus checks vs caring about the residents.

Advice to Management

You already lost a huge amount of employees .. please know most don't leave companies thry leave bosses. Focus as to who is running the buildings on a daily day to day base take a real survey as how residents feel respond back to them when they write letters to you.

Listen to the employees that have been there long such as the ecs and house workers we all stayed faithful for a reason. ... please have a rotation on saturdays as its not fair to work every Saturday and have general managers get out of working every big event.

Jan 27, 2017 – Human Resources Representative

Thank you for taking pride your job and for taking great care of our residents. We appreciate you taking the time to submit your comments. We strive to continuously improve and provide the best ... More

"Family"

Current Employee - Server/Kitchen Help in Yuma, AZ
    Current Employee - Server/Kitchen Help in Yuma, AZ

I have been working at Holiday Retirement (More than a year)

Pros

The residents there are so great, they treat you like family. I love them!

Cons

You would have to make your own desicions on this subject.

"Co-Manager"

Former Employee - Co-Manager in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Co-Manager in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I loved working with the Residents and the Associates at my community.

Cons

Horrible Lead Managers who resented us from the very beginning and refused to train us properly. Had a problem with my husband and I being an interracial couple. Made our lives a living hell and Corporate was no help.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees when there is a problem and help them when there is a hostile work environment. Live up to your vision and principles.

"Manager"

Former Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Residents. Loved meeting and serving the seniors. A few still send me letters, emails etc. Some employees were also special, mostly because they too had a heart for the residents and were dedicated to them. I liked living in the same building with residents and being available for emergencies, which at times were frequent.

Cons

Hours required were always 60-75. If the other management team was ill or on vacation or at a required company meeting, we had extra work with no extra pay or time off. If the kitchen was short staffed we had to cover. Same with maintenance. We were salaried, no overtime so we were always the answer to any situation that resulted from hourly staff being unavailable.

Advice to Management

After five years and many Regional managers I became convinced this company doesn't listen because they don't care. I visited a community recently, somehow it continues to get worse. Thankful to be gone.

"Enrichment"

Current Employee - Life Enrichment
    Current Employee - Life Enrichment

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Residents making them happy
    Learning from them. What a experience so so much fun. Always excited to come to Work

Cons

Have a great calender. Building I work in is 98 percent full. Residents rave that they moved into my community because of my calender. Now my new regional is telling me what to add to and take off my calender. I have over 40 volunteers at my property.

Advice to Management

You are about to loose a lot of great people. Don't micro manage. I hope Tess can respond to this.I love my job and some new person comes in tells us what we can do at our properties. and now I feel sick to my stomach being told what I can and cannot do.

Jan 27, 2017 – Human Resources Representative

We are glad to hear that you are excited to come to work. Thank you for taking great care of our residents and for taking the time to submit your comments. At Holiday, we strive to continuously ... More

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Flex Manager in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Flex Manager in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Community full of Happy Residents and Happy Workers working in a very Happy Environment. Home office making great changes to make things even better. Wonderful to be working at Holiday and experience the best IL company in the industry.

Cons

Wish changes in community management had come sooner.

Advice to Management

Keep keeping the residents needs of utmost importance.

"Love my job!"

Current Employee - Assistant General Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant General Manager

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love being able to make a difference, a positive impact on a senior's life and that of their families.

Cons

The long hours, constant barrage of emails wanting more move ins. It can also be difficult trying to mesh 2 married couples and their personalities. But the new changes should take care of some of the negatives and provide some sense of a normal work/personal life balance.

Advice to Management

Listen to your community team and be more supportive and proactive regarding resident and/or associate issues.

Nov 1, 2016 – Human Resources Representative

Thank you for sharing your comments. As you noted, we have been modernizing our business to better meet the needs of our residents and workforce, today and in the future. A lot has changed in senior ... More