Holiday Retirement Reviews | Glassdoor

Holiday Retirement Reviews

Updated April 25, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • Very little positive support from your upper management (in 98 reviews)

• They have no regard for the work that community Managers do (in 61 reviews)

"Co-Manager"

Former Employee - Community Co-Manager in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Community Co-Manager in Portland, OR

Pros

Enjoyed working with my spouse, living on site and the residents!! Most associates were easy to get along with some not so much.

Cons

INconsistency between RD's; expectations not clearly defined; values not always followed or believed in ~ integrity and honesty - they only wanted to hear that when it went along with what they wanted

Advice to Management

Be specific about your expectations; don't pit your lead managers against your co-managers; be direct and not beat around the bush; you expect honesty and integrity from us but you are not forthright yourselves.

"Interesting Place"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Oswego, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Oswego, OR

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Interesting work and I enjoyed working with the people. Like other places most everyone is nice to work with. Working for Holiday isn't overtaxing job and one, if they take the initiative, can easily make a name for themselves.

Cons

Not sure where the company is going. The company became a management company and owns less properties than in the past. Compensation is average to below average so negotiate a good/fair salary and stick to your guns. If you are a good resource and they want you then you have leverage

"Seniors are what make your Job Complete"

Former Employee - Community Manager - CMT Trainer in Bloomington, IN
    Former Employee - Community Manager - CMT Trainer in Bloomington, IN

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I loved my seniors and working with them and my staff daily was the highlight of my job. I felt that our work life balance was good considering that you live on site. Overall I loved what I did and how my work impacted the life of our seniors. Loved being able to work with my husband day in and day out.

Cons

There is no growth opportunity from the community management stand point. My husband and I are very driven people and with no growth opportunity it made our position a dead end position.

Advice to Management

I believe some of your best RD's and RDS would be your community managers. Create a plan or path for them to move into those directions if that is their lifetime goal professionally.

"Server"

Former Employee - Server in Cedar Park, TX
    Former Employee - Server in Cedar Park, TX

Pros

Short shifts, fast paced work, great team, I made a lot of close friends there, residents are so sweet, serving food is easy, clean up is fast and easy, great job for someone who is involved in a lot of out side things because the shifts are a 2 hour max. There was usually extra work if you wanted it, you could come in early and vacuum or something. Free food after service was over. You could even take food home. This was my absolute favorite job.

Cons

You don't get a lot of hours, and so you don't get paid very much. Management is different everywhere, but where I was, the new managers were horribly rude, they picked favorites, stood over you while you worked just watching everything you do, and gave all of the extra hours to only two girls. But the first managers were great, they were sweet and relaxed and trusted us to get our job done, and we did.

"What is the next phase of the current restructuring? Will the SLs be phased out to be more like the Hawthorne model?"

Current Employee - Sales Leader in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Leader in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My experience with Holiday has been neutral over the past few years. I love helping seniors and their families. I love seeing seniors move in and make new friends and enjoy new interests. I love the conversation and activity in the dining room. I do my job well and have maintained over 95% occupancy for a very long time. I love the bonuses, although I did not appreciate the significant pay decrease I received due to keeping my occupancy high as well as retention high. This has been resolved for 2016.

I am fortunate to work in a community where people can somehow manage to get along and work as a team.

Cons

I can deal with the Tuesday through Saturday schedule. I don't agree with the mandatory end of month schedule especially with high occupancy. Yes, the micromanaging and bullying is annoying. But overall, it is tolerable, and I feel I am somewhat fairly compensated. But I will say my spouse's ears bleed on a regular basis.

It's uncomfortable working with the management team when you know they are overworked and underpaid, and I feel sorry for them for this reason. Holiday has created a huge chasm between sales and management.

I don't feel that Holiday delivers on what is promised to the residents. Regional managers are only aware of the bottom line of our community, and there is so much more that is overlooked and ignored. For the amount of money these residents are paying, they deserve so much more! Our building is becoming old, tired, and rundown, yet our residents are asked to pay a 6% increase. The Holiday 3.0 premier resident experience needs to start with the managers, and I can tell you it doesn't. Our residents are treated with disdain and are just an annoyance to the managers, and the biggest "con" of all is that the regional team is clueless to this and probably wouldn't care anyway. For some reason major maintenance problems are never resolved and no one seems to care.

Advice to Management

My advice is to find out what is really going on in your communities!!!! Ensure that the premier resident experience is not just a pie in the sky! Oh, and keep your sales force.

"Lead Community Manager"

Current Employee - Community Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Community Manager in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

You get a wide range of experience in all aspects of apartment management (Sales, Maintenance, Food Service, Administrative, Public Relations, etc...) If you really do the job, you make a difference in your senior resident's lives.

Cons

Incredibly long working shifts. Very little positive support from your upper management. They sell you on the importance of making the resident's lives the best we can and to spend as much time with them as we can. But the main objective is sales. There is a constant strong push every day to continue getting new leases (rental pricing increases weekly). Too much micro managing also.

Advice to Management

All upper management should go spend a minimum of one week actually sitting at the community manager's desk and get a real idea about what Holiday's community managers go through everyday.

"Community Manager"

Former Employee - Community Manager in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Community Manager in Richmond, VA

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very Little. Disconnect between what corporate says they'll support, versus action to support needs of maintain each physical plant, or hiring community manager with grasp of administrative demands, and or execute appropriate leadership or training in the communities they are assigned.

Cons

Business model is out of date with new competitors. Although it professes to be resident focus, as a manager its very sales driven with pressure to achieve a 55% NOI.

Advice to Management

Change the culture to reflect the message, and overhaul the business model ASAP so resident perceive they are receiving full value of environment promised.

"They profess to be caring about the associates and residents but sales are the real focus"

Former Employee - Co-Manager in Fort Wayne, IN
    Former Employee - Co-Manager in Fort Wayne, IN

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with seniors and making an impact on their lives. The bonds that are formed are very satisfying and the biggest bonus with this job

Cons

Long hours, no respect for any associate and a HUGE disconnect between the stated goals and beliefs and the true focus - more money for upper management. RDs are dishonest and employ the technique of pitting management teams against each other. There is NO support from the home office. They do "investigations" to support their point of view.

Advice to Management

Get a clue- be up front about true goals. If the bottom line is the most important thing then just state it. The high rate of turnover should be an indicator of a company wide problem.

"Community Sales Leader, Lead Community Manager"

Current Employee - Community Sales Leader in Shreveport, LA
    Current Employee - Community Sales Leader in Shreveport, LA

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing opportunity to meet and work with a fascinating group of people. Residents are the best source for the motivation to keep doing what is a rewarding way to make a difference in the lives of others. Requires true commitment to strive for quality associates dedicated to provide the Holiday Touch each and every day. Perfect for A type overachievers who make it their own mission in life to make sure your community meets and exceeds the company expectation of quality. Since I have run the communities I was assigned to as well as the sales side. My exposure to the challenges of each role an associate plays to the resident satisfaction has helped to keep grounded in providing valuable support and recognition to associates for the hard work they do each day. Building great relationships with the residents, ultimately they too add valuable support during the sales process. Ultimately the relationship between us all shines through during a prospective residents tour and helps reassure them this is a wonderful place to be. Lots of travel involved if you're a committed to going to communities in need.

Cons

Long hours, lots of travel away from family, not much time for my own family

Advice to Management

Greater advancement opportunities for front line problem solvers who have been working in the field successfully and have the experience to be true leaders in the Regional and District levels.

Holiday Retirement Response

May 31, 2016 – Human Resources Representative

The is such great feedback. We are always looking for positive feedback to help us improve our associate's experience. Please speak with your regional director and your regional sales leader about ... More

"Sales Leader"

Current Employee - Sales Leader in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Leader in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Getting to hear life stories of seniors and learn from them. Love making them feel special and important

Cons

All the bad reviews on here are absolutely true...it is evidently a company-wide problem in how overworked, bullied, threatened, micromanaged, ridiculous amount of meetings necessitate a week of anywhere from 60 to 70 hours per week to get your job done since at least 15 hours are spent on conference calls, stand up morning meetings, marketing meetings, and even harassing phone calls from district and up management. The turnover is so heavy which is why they constantly have to train new people and have a whole center in Dallas to do just that. I've had my boss ask a coworker to.dig.up dirt on me that could.be used to fire me! I was told and am currently retaining an attorney on several issues. My days are numbered but I'd rather be let go than continue to.fight a losing battle. Worst company ever with horrible management.

Advice to Management

Quit and go work for the DMV or somewhere where a nasty attitude and rudeness are required. It doesn't belong in an environment for seniors. What a joke. Will miss my friendly seniors. Everyone else...no. I feel.scarred for life from this place. If I could.give zero stars I would.