Holiday World & Splashin' Safari Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Matt Eckert

Pros
  • Great summer job with plenty of promotional opportunities (in 6 reviews)

• The things I enjoyed were flexible scheduling and met a lot of people I wouldn't have gotten to meet otherwise (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Working in the heat comes with the job (in 9 reviews)

• expect to work open-close (10-12 hr (in 2 reviews)

"Employment as lifeguard"

Former Employee - Deep Water Lifeguard in Santa Claus, IN
    Former Employee - Deep Water Lifeguard in Santa Claus, IN

I worked at Holiday World & Splashin' Safari full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great supervisors, easygoing summer job. Can adjust schedule at beginning of year to your preference. They will make arrangements for transportation for minors unable to drive.

Cons

entirely outdoor work in all weather, sometimes grueling work. sometimes guests will be rude an unreasonable. A high stress job during busy days.

2. "Great summer job"

Former Employee - Seasonal Ride Operator/Attendant in Santa Claus, IN

I worked at Holiday World & Splashin' Safari part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Holiday World worked with me to give me the schedule I was comfortable with during the summer between college classes, and I worked with some really nice people I'm still friends with after all these years.

Cons

The days can get hot and long, but aren't so bad if you work with a good crew.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, they're the ones out there with the public day in and day out.

Mar 14, 2017 – Director of Human Resources

We appreciate your comments and will work even harder to ensure that our employees feel that we listen to them. We know that our seasonal folks have the most contact with our guests. We want to hear ... More

3. "My Seasonal Rides Operator Experience"

Former Employee - Seasonal Ride Operator/Attendant in Santa Claus, IN

I worked at Holiday World & Splashin' Safari part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible working hours, plenty of working ours available, good leadership opportunities for younger employees

Cons

Within the rides department, you will likely be working outside (not directly in the sun).

Advice to Management

Continue to develop talent from within

Mar 14, 2017 – Director of Human Resources

Thanks for the feedback. Our ride operators work hard during the summer working in all the elements. We try to improve the work conditions by ensuring that we provide shade for our operators. This ... More

4. "Great place for summer work"

Former Employee - Entertainer in Santa Claus, IN
    Former Employee - Entertainer in Santa Claus, IN

I worked at Holiday World & Splashin' Safari full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Close family like atmosphere. They didn't put unnecessary pressure on their staff to do their jobs. It was more like, everyone wanted to do good work together. Great memories of working there.

Cons

It's been a few years. So I'm not sure the minor complaints that I had are still an issue. Didn't have any major problems though.

Mar 14, 2017 – Director of Human Resources

We have a great full time staff and we all work together to get the job done. We hope the complaints you experienced was not the cause of your leaving the park. Thanks for working with us for a ... More

5. "Holiday World are some of my fondest memories!"

Former Employee - Entertainment in Santa Claus, IN
    Former Employee - Entertainment in Santa Claus, IN

I worked at Holiday World & Splashin' Safari part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

flexible hours, helpful training, family owned, learned life skills, developed life friendships,

Cons

the weather can be a factor - heat

Mar 14, 2017 – Director of Human Resources

We love to hear that we were able to teach life skills and friendships were made. Gotta love the summers in Indiana, however we continue to look for ways to beat the heat. We offer lots of shade and ... More

6. "#1 for Family Fun"

Current Employee - Hostess in Santa Claus, IN
    Current Employee - Hostess in Santa Claus, IN

I have been working at Holiday World & Splashin' Safari part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

My children spent their summers here at the park when they were young. As they grew, we developed a love for this park. When my kids were old enough to be on their own during the summer, I decided to get a job at Holiday World for the summer. What could be better than to spend the day at a place you love AND get paid for it?! Holiday World offers flexible scheduling and competitive pay rates. The company offers many perks for working holidays, evenings, and late in the season days. My husband and I are both teachers and we now both work at Holiday World each summer.

Cons

You are expected to work holidays and weekends.

Advice to Management

Remember that family must always come first!

Mar 14, 2017 – Director of Human Resources

Thanks for letting us know your thoughts. It is very tough to expect staff to serve our Guests on Holidays, but we encourage bringing your families to the park and spending time with them before and ... More

7. "Summer Fun"

Former Employee - Lifeguard Supervisor in Santa Claus, IN
    Former Employee - Lifeguard Supervisor in Santa Claus, IN

I worked at Holiday World & Splashin' Safari full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working at Holiday World & Splashin' Safari is arguably one of the best jobs I've ever had. Being able to work there has taught me core values in order to not only enjoy my job, but also to succeed while doing it. The interaction with the guests, employees and management will always be memorable. Being able to ensure that our guests were making lifetime memories with their friends and or family, was such an honor. I have had so many guests come back and thank me for being able to make them smile and by hearing I was able to do that, truly made me fall in love with the job even more.

Cons

There's really not many downsides for working at Holiday World. One of the downsides would probably be dealing with an upset family who waited in the lines for a ride too long. I really hate to see a family not fully enjoying their day because of a line. I understand that they are there to spend as much time together having fun and want to be able to ride all the rides that they want to. So I would always talk with management or when I did become management, I would try my best to compensate them for being upset. Whether it was giving them a free, front-of-the-line pass or something just simple. Either way, I always ensured that I exhibited professional and a caring demeanor while taking care of an upset family and I truly feel like that calmed them down and helped them realize that they were in good hands and their day was going to get better.

Advice to Management

Ensure that your subordinates will always feel valued and recognized. Take the initiative to go out of your way and sit down with someone that has trouble being outgoing. This will definitely help them become more interactive with staff and with the guests. It will also help them enjoy their job a little more.

Mar 14, 2017 – Director of Human Resources

We appreciate the time you took to give us this important information. Every year we look for more and better ways to "appreciate" our seasonal hosts/hostesses. We have several exciting new training ... More

8. "5 Stars for Holiday World"

Former Employee - Student in Hollywood, CA
    Former Employee - Student in Hollywood, CA

I worked at Holiday World & Splashin' Safari part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Everyone that i worked with at the park very quickly became my second family! I have had many other jobs, but none compare to the amazing experience i had working as an entertainer here at Holiday World. Every person you meet is extremely friendly and hard-working! The overall ambiance of the park is magical! As soon as i would walk into work i would get swept up in the beauty of the scenery around me and everyday was a great day! I never felt like i was "working" because the job was so much fun. I looked forward to coming into work everyday and seeing my friends as well as meeting new families that came to experience the magic for themselves!

Cons

I wish that the park would stay open for more days in October!

Advice to Management

Keep up the amazing work and family atmosphere!

Mar 14, 2017 – Director of Human Resources

THANKS! We feel the same way you do and many times we refer to our Host/Hostess as FRAMILY. We couldn't make this park so special if it wasn't for employees like yourself. Thank you for your past ... More

9. "Best Job Ever"

Current Employee - Games Host in Santa Claus, IN
    Current Employee - Games Host in Santa Claus, IN

I have been working at Holiday World & Splashin' Safari full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You make so many friends within and outside your department, there are a lot of benefits to the job including a season pass and discounts, this company works around you schedule because they believe in a work/home life balance. There are so many other great things about this company.

Cons

There is honestly nothing I absolutely hate about Holiday World.

Advice to Management

Because the management in my department are all friendly and willing to help their employees in any way I would just say keep up the good work.

Mar 14, 2017 – Director of Human Resources

Thanks for the awesome review! We appreciate the time given to let others know how much you enjoy the job. We encourage you to let us know via a town hall or visit to HR if you have any concerns.

10. "At first, it was great."

Former Employee - Rides Operator in Santa Claus, IN
    Former Employee - Rides Operator in Santa Claus, IN

I worked at Holiday World & Splashin' Safari part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Honestly, I loved my first year working here. It was a fun experience daily working with children and my co-workers. Everyone always had smiles and were really trying to have a great time. I also enjoyed management and the overall environment here. Holiday World really seeks to make you feel like you are a part of their family and they go to great lengths to make sure that you are fully trained and ready to be out in the park.

Cons

My cons are what happened during my second year. After I turned 18, the amount of hours I worked increased dramatically. I went from 20-30 hours a week my first year to working 70-90 hours a week my second year. I really struggled with this transition because of the constant heat and the need to be on your feet for 12 hour long shifts while also lifting children into rides constantly. This year really effected how I viewed working there and I had to quit afterwards and I have since never returned.

Advice to Management

Be more considerate to your employees who are out in the sun for 12 hours straight. Do not patronize them for needing to use the restroom or needing to get a drink of water.

Oct 19, 2016 – Director of Human Resources

We would like to discuss this further. Please call 812-937-5252 and ask for Holly.