Holland Hospital Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Dale Sowders

1. "Valuable learning experience"

Former Employee - Intern in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Intern in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Holland Hospital (Less than a year)

Pros

Committed staff focused on helping clients return to previous levels of independence. Valuable hands on opportunity in the rehabilitation (behavioral health) setting. Staff treat interns as peers which enhances the overall learning experience.

Cons

I did not experience any negative elements while employed with the organization.

2. "Thumbs up"

Current Employee - Business Operations Coordinator in Holland, MI
    Current Employee - Business Operations Coordinator in Holland, MI

I have been working at Holland Hospital part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Employee focused, excellent patient care and staple in the community.

Cons

Haven't experienced any so far to date.

Advice to Management

None

"food service worker"

Current Employee - Food Service Worker in Holland, MI
    Current Employee - Food Service Worker in Holland, MI

I have been working at Holland Hospital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Can earn almost about 3 weeks worth of PTO in first year.

Cons

management, benefits are expensive and vision insurance is a joke.

Advice to Management

Find a way to communicate between management and employees because there is a big void if you open your eyes instead of being blind to the issues.

"No Advancement"

Current Employee - General Accountant in Grand Haven, MI
    Current Employee - General Accountant in Grand Haven, MI

I have been working at Holland Hospital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive Salary, Solid company, Strong leadership

Cons

Not all departments have opportunities for advancement.

Advice to Management

Ask employees to rate management

"Now I Know Why Unions Were Created"

Former Employee - Middle Management in Holland, MI
    Former Employee - Middle Management in Holland, MI

I worked at Holland Hospital full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Small town hospital.
    Made some Have some great employees who really care about the patients and how they are taken care of from food servers, housekeeping ,nurses and lab personal.

Cons

Small town hospital has a double edged sword, small enough to give personal care, but also won't spend the money they have to come up to the current medical advancements. Give PTO, but have to use it for when your sick. Really the employees are exposed to all the germs and virus's and this place won't even give employee's sick days.
    The way this place is run, it still is back in the 60's, now I know why union's were made.

Advice to Management

Get with the times of seeing what some of the employees do for the patients. Have watched employees pitted against employees. Have given some employees leadership roles when they were not qualified, because they were friends with other leaders. CEO's sit in their offices and have know idea what is really going on thru the hospital. When I was there I watched employee's disciplined for bogus actions, because they spoke up about things that bothered them or had questions about the way some things were run. But watched as nothing was done when other employees did not do their job as in cleaning patients room or they go and hide some where watching TV in Doctors sleep rooms, even had an employee threaten a other employees and nothing was done, reason was the bad employee did not get in trouble was that they never called in so they could depend on them. Have had a middle leader threaten and yell at employees, and even though the person has been reported, the hospital keeps him because it is easier to keep him and get rid of the other people.
    Need to start getting rid of bogus management jobs and start changing with the times. EVERYONE has an important role in the hospital and no one is better then anyone else and don't let higher up's treat people the way they do.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Holland, MI

I have been working at Holland Hospital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Team environment, very clean, support by management, transparency by management, community involvement, work life balance

Cons

Some positions deserve higher pay and respect

"Upper Management teaches Bullying"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Holland, MI
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Holland, MI

I have been working at Holland Hospital full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Gives good PTO time for vacations. Does give college reimbursements, when you pass classes.
    Have made some great friendships. The only hospital in Holland.

Cons

Where to start, upper management teaches middle management to bully other employees. To much middle management that each has different rules , so you don't know who to listen to for guidance. No real written practices for the whole of the hospital, each department decides how they are doing vacation time, who gets what job. Nothing based on qualifications but who is your buddy.

Advice to Management

Get active with each department. Quit sitting in your offices and seeing what looks good on paper, talk to the employees that do the jobs and see how things really work. Be involved on the floors know your employees, not that there's the door if you don't like it, you can be replaced, etc. Quit bullying people and lead us by example.

"Double Standards"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Holland, MI

I have been working at Holland Hospital full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Holland Hospital has been in business a long time... benefits and paid time off are good

Cons

Double standards exist everywhere. For instance... our department has an requirement that we all work every other weekend... that is except if you are a group lead or the department manager. Group leads never have to work the evenings or weekends... therefore they never know how difficult it is to complete the required amount of work in the allotted time. Weekends and nights we are already short staffed so when someone calls in it is more difficult. Rarely do the groups leads come in to help when we are short... although on occasion they do.
    Department manager is a different story. NEVER will the department manager come in to help on a weekend or an evening.... no matter how short staffed we are. Her job is scheduling for the dept but each and every month there are holes in the schedule where no one is scheduled to do a specific job... we are just left to figure it out.
    Holidays... staff can never get extra time off at a holiday but the department manager almost ALWAYS takes extra time with every holiday.
    Double standards all over the place. Some people are quite often late or call in... it is for the most part overlooked while those who are always on time or always there and work extra when needed are treated unfairly.
    Departments all over the hospital are recognized by their managers while this department is rarely recognized or even a pat on the back for that matter

Advice to Management

Get a clue. Things are NOT working. Staff morale is VERY low. Upper management... please look, please ask other team members. If there is a department with an extremely high turn over... there is a reason!

"Housekeeping - Housekeeper"

Current Employee - Housekeeping in Holland, MI
    Current Employee - Housekeeping in Holland, MI

I have been working at Holland Hospital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some would say pto adds up fast, You don't get any sick days so really PTO gets used up fast.

Cons

Management, They push as much on you as they can. You never get a good word for working so hard. We work like we are three people and get paid less than one.

Advice to Management

Learn how to do a job before telling other employees how. Get up and help staff when short people. You know why employees keep leaving . You say they move to different departments ! Um no they leave the hospital.

"Culture Shock"

Former Employee - Desktop Support Tech in Holland, MI
    Former Employee - Desktop Support Tech in Holland, MI

I worked at Holland Hospital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent pay
    Location
    Small hospital feel
    You feel good going into work because you're helping people at the worst. But that could be said of any hospital...

Cons

Great place to learn how not to manage people. Like a lot of reviews on here I'll parrot that that place is backwards and not forward thinking. You'll get placed on an off shift because no one will want it and end up there for years. Reviews will be skewed down and accomplishments overlooked to keep you on that shift. Management doesn't want the best person for each job... They just want warm bodies that don't expect anything from them.

Advice to Management

Simple: Stop lying. If you tell a person a shift is temporary to get them to take a job don't be surprised when they quit less almost a year later when they're told there's no plans to move them off the shift.

Don't. Lie.