Holland Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

Scott D. Ware

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Upper Management does not know what those below them need (in 8 reviews)

• Long hours, sub-standard equipment, low end on wages (in 6 reviews)

1. "Good company to work for."

Current Employee - Human Resources Administrator in Holland, MI
    Current Employee - Human Resources Administrator in Holland, MI

I have been working at Holland full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Committed to customer service, strong management, and a definite pattern of promoting from within.

Cons

None that stick out to me.

2. "Great company to be part of!"

I have been working at Holland full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The leadership team is very supportive, transparent and focused on talent development. I enjoy working in a team atmosphere and that’s exactly what I found with joining Holland. It’s refreshing to enjoy your profession and know that others share the same passion.

Cons

I really don’t have any bad things to share at this time. The company doesn’t share any mysterious challenges that any other company operating in this market doesn’t face.

3. "Working at Holland"

I have been working at Holland full-time

Pros

Great benefits, good culture. They care about their employees .Plenty of opportunity for advancement.

Cons

Hard work, fast pace environment.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to your employees.

4. "What a great company"

I have been working at Holland full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I'm honored to work with a group of people who are so passionate about their company and who work hard every single day to make Holland as good as it can be!

Cons

People are expected to give all they've got, but that's the way it should be!

5. "Sales"

I have been working at Holland (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent organization to work for, cares about its employees, works hard to coach and develop their people. Above industry pay and benefits. Allows you to manage your territory like you own it. Encourages growth & promotion from within to people who work and do a good job. Its an organization that has provided a very good living for myself and my family for over 30 years.

Cons

LTL trucking is not an easy environment and does require a lot of time and strong work ethic to be successful.

6. "Corporate Sales"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Holland full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent Service Company. Excellent employee engagement. Leadership is truly interested in personal development.

Cons

We need drivers and pay well

Advice to Management

Keep it up

7. "Operations Supervisor"

I worked at Holland full-time

Pros

Good pay, benefits, hours, people.

Cons

Small company environment which ensures hefty workloads.

Advice to Management

na

"Great health insurance"

Current Employee - Line Haul Driver in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Line Haul Driver in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Holland full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Health insurance is great and 100% paid by company. Pay is good, could be better. No sleeper trucks, stay in hotels.

Cons

Retirement is awful, no match to 401k. Pension have been gutted. Still a lot of old equipment but getting better. Not enough home time.

Advice to Management

Listen to your drivers. When they have an idea that could make them happy and save the company money, LISTEN. I've been sent to the hotel 120 miles from home on a Saturday morning, only to take an empty home 10 hours later. That cost the company over $150.

Holland Response

Nov 27, 2017 – Account Manager

Thank you for providing such a thoughtful response. We truly value the feedback we receive from our employees. I am happy to hear that you enjoy the company-paid health insurance Holland provides. As... More

9. "Lack of organization"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Joliet, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Joliet, IL

I worked at Holland part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The workers were very helpful and friendly...Hours were great and worked perfectly with my full time job schedule. There was opportunity for extra hours

Cons

Not guaranteed 20 hours and employees sent home due to lack of work because Holland began hiring too many truck drivers which pushed the dock workers out of a job. Not enough forklifts and the functional ones were not working fully so therefore the freight could not be weighed. Pay was only $11.90 but it helped with the bills

Advice to Management

Learn how to be up front and honest, do not use profanity toward employees and if you need to correct an employee for something do not point them out in front of everyone telling them to go home, pull them to the side. On second shift Marcos and Brian were the best supervisors.

"Dock To Driver"

Former Employee - Dock and Driver in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Dock and Driver in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Holland full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Paid Health insurance and that’s about it but if you see what competitors are paying and do the math you’ll see that they’re paying you the hours wage that’s equivalent to the difference of your premiums. Safety training is very well presented and taught.

Cons

Management sucks and has little man syndrome. I was working for an incompetent staff that avoided confrontation whenever possible. The loaders (aside from a very select few) don’t know how to load or maximize cube. They just want to bay/dock their freight and let you load it as if they’ve never heard of progressive loading or how to build a trailer load. Lack of bars/deck tables/straps make loads unsecured for transit resulting in a lot of damages and recoup projects. Who uses zip-ties to tie down a pallet that weighs 500 lbs SMH?! Certain management are too busy trying to look like the “Boss” instead of actually being a leader. Too busy being on their phone with that corny Star Wars ringtone that would constantly go off during meetings and preshifts. They’re constantly melting down the operation and you’ll be waiting 4 hours to get an empty to load freight that has been sitting on the dock all day. They’ll want you to stay late because they can’t get their staff motivated to do a decent job. Just bark orders over the intercom and not follow up. They won’t walk the dock. Overall, working here is a solid option C. If you have other offers you should take them. The day I left I had a new job before I left the parking lot if that tells you anything. Good luck.

Advice to Management

You need new management that actually knows how to run an operation. Can’t even get staff to reweigh city freight smh. Never heard of rehandling freight until I brought it up and they got mad lol. Hold yourselves accountable like you hold dock/drivers if you want to last in this industry you’re already years behind.