Holland Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Scott D. Ware

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "The disconnect is not due to lack or concern or interest by upper management but just the separation between corporate and overall terminal operations" (in 11 reviews)

• "you work long hours, up to 14 per shift" (in 10 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Strong executive leadership and corporate team."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Appleton, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Appleton, WI

I have been working at Holland full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Extremely happy with the experience and opportunities extended to me working with Holland. The company culture is amazing and company leadership is extremely supportive of the workforce. I have enjoyed working with Holland over the years.

Cons

Opportunities for advancement can be limited depending on the type of work you do for Holland. There seems to be a disconnect between Holland corporate and terminal operations. The disconnect is not due to lack or concern or interest by upper management but just the separation between corporate and overall terminal operations.

Dec 11, 2018 – Account Manager

Thank you for taking the time to provide Holland with a review. We always appreciate hearing from our employees. We are happy to hear that your experience at Holland has been largely positive... More

2. "Opportunity to Grow"

I have been working at Holland full-time

Pros

Fast paced environment with opportunities to promote ideas and see positive change.

Cons

Leadership development opportunities weak - need to come into the organization with developed skills to effectively lead at Holland.

Advice to Management

Promote internal customer service and teamwork. Continue to improve strategy communication.

Dec 4, 2018 – Account Manager

Thank you for taking the time to provide Holland with a review. We always appreciate hearing from our team members. We are happy to hear that your time at Holland has been positive and that you see a... More

3. "Tremendous future opportunity"

I have been working at Holland full-time

Pros

Great bosses making you feel comfortable

Cons

Can’t think of any at the moment

Mar 19, 2019 – Account Manager

Thank you for taking the time to provide Holland with a review. We always appreciate it when our employees reach out to share their experiences with us. We’re glad to hear that Holland is meeting... More

4. "Alright place to work"

Current Employee - Class A Truck Driver
    Current Employee - Class A Truck Driver

I have been working at Holland full-time

Pros

Really good benefits and decent pay

Cons

Everything goes by seniority
    A lot of forced overtime
    Takes a long time to get a decent amount of vacation days

Mar 19, 2019 – Account Manager

Thank you for taking the time to provide Holland with a review. We always appreciate it when our team members take the time to provide us with some feedback. We’re happy to hear that your time at... More

5. "Entry level Operations Opportunity"

Current Employee - Linehaul Dispatch Supervisor in Holland, MI
    Current Employee - Linehaul Dispatch Supervisor in Holland, MI

I have been working at Holland full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Opportunities to work various shifts

Cons

No shift premiums, no pay increases based on performance, high turnover, work holidays/weekends

6. "Hostile, Toxic & Nasty - Run while you can"

I worked at Holland full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the people that I worked with were really good people. They propped the terminal up and carried a lot of dead weight. Made a lot of good contacts in the worker bee ranks that supported us and what we were trying to accomplish.
    Paid my bills every Friday.
    If you can land union protection, it is impossible to get terminated.

Cons

On the opposite end you have some of the most hostile, nasty, unprofessional people that you can work with. They lie, cheat and steal from the company as much as possible and are protected by the union. When held accountable, their mantra is "the union will get my job back" and they are RIGHT. It undercuts all of the local management and their efforts to make it a better workplace.
    The company continues to live hand to mouth and that can be seen in the buildings and equipment. Not that it matters, because a lot employees have no pride of ownership and destroy anything nice or new.
    Lastly, the company calls their employees "labor" for a reason, because that is how they are treated. They are a commodity. I have come to the conclusion that relationship has been built over MANY years of Union/Company relations. Nothing is going to break that tension.

Advice to Management

Not sure. I have tried to discuss this with upper management and was told "to get thicker skin". When I tried to discuss absenteeism issues I was told "it comes with the suntan". When I discussed lack of support from MO, I was told "yeah, that is just how my people are".
    What they have done is ran off good workers and concentrated a group of people that are so sour or lazy that can't survive anywhere else, so they stay.
    You certainly have your hands full when it comes to managing into the future. With the new contract, I am not sure how you will be able to afford what is "owed" to the drivers and still stay afloat. I guess keep calling he same plays as you have and see what happens?

Mar 19, 2019 – Account Manager

Thank you for taking the time to provide Holland with a review. We always appreciate it when our employees reach out to provide us with feedback. It’s one of the best ways for us to improve and grow... More

7. "Great job."

Former Employee - Line Haul Driver in Owatonna, MN
    Former Employee - Line Haul Driver in Owatonna, MN

I worked at Holland (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay. Decent equipment. Great benefits.

Cons

None to speak of.

Feb 7, 2019 – Account Manager

Thank you for taking the time to provide Holland with some sincere feedback. We always appreciate hearing from our team members. We are happy to hear that your time at Holland has been completely... More

8. "Toxic workplace"

Former Employee - Clerk in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Clerk in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Holland full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Union pay and benefits

Cons

Horribly incompetant management, little to no training, constant fighting among co workers with no recourse or reprimand and very undesirable hours.

Advice to Management

Not much to suggest since the union protects and defends this type of behavior.

Feb 19, 2019 – Account Manager

First of all, we would like to thank you for reaching out and providing Holland with a review. As a company, we are always trying to improve and employee feedback provides direct insight into the... More

9. "Let's make Hollnd great again"

Current Employee - Driver in Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Driver in Lansing, MI

I have been working at Holland full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Overtime after 8 hours, close to home, health care coverage

Cons

Air quality in terminals is full of black dust (rubber, carbon, and asbestos), management treats you like a child who can't make their own decisions, management always looking for a reason to fire employees.

Advice to Management

Let employees be treated like adults.The terminals get along fine without you.

Dec 11, 2018 – Account Manager

Thank you for taking the time to provide Holland with some feedback. We always
    appreciate hearing from our team members. Please know that we take employee feedback very seriously because we are... More

10. "driver"

I have been working at Holland full-time

Pros

okay pay, paid health benefits

Cons

long hours, union, no work ethic from coworkers