Holland & Barrett Retail Reviews

Updated Aug 7, 2020

3.1
Holland & Barrett Retail CEO Tony Buffin (no image)
Tony Buffin
Pros
Cons
  • "lone working and expected to work all the overtime that they require you(in 83 reviews)

• "its still a company so the area managers are not to be trusted(in 60 reviews)

"Supervisor- 10hrs."

Supervisor in Farnham, NY

I worked at Holland & Barrett Retail for less than a year

Pros

-Fantastic store team, had a great relationship with my manager. -Pay is decent, even without benefits. -Good commission and bonuses. -Training is comprehensive.

Cons

-Area and regional management is pitiful and completely unsupportive, even accusatory. -Pay is affected by customer satisfaction surveys. It's unfair the means of putting food on the table is in the hands of the general public who often are unaware of this fact. -CEO is completely self absorbed -Communication between stores, head office and technical support is rubbish

"Stressful and unrewarding"

2.0
    Supervisor in Featherstone, VA

I have been working at Holland & Barrett Retail for more than a year

Pros

The only pro I can think of is the training that you receive. Although it can be hit and miss with some employees depending on what area you're working in and what role.

Cons

Prepare to be bombarded by KPIs and targets, you need to sell this with this, increase on this, 4 item link sale, Rewards for Life cards, magazines, samples, customer feedback cards is just a few of the things you have to remember. There's always a shortage of staff so be prepared if you're management to not have a lot of time off if any. You're never acknowledged for the work that you do and the time that you put in or rewarded for it. The area manager is always on your back asking why something hasn't been done, why you haven't met a certain target etc. Just all in all very stressful along with all the tests and training updates that you have to do in between.

"Worst company ever"

1.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clonmel, KS

I have been working at Holland & Barrett Retail part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

To be honest there is very few, 25% discount that's about it for me!

Cons

There is actually so much wrong with this company, I could be here a while typing. Manager / management have no idea how to treat their staff, constant pressure not an enjoyable place to work at all. They never send the right promotion kit for you to implement the promotion, and then your asm does a visit, this that and everything is wrong even after you have reported the items. Never any praise. Lone trading is also a big issue. No support from anyone. I feel like a robot in work, constantly asking customers question after question, rfl, mag, buy one try one, sampling and that's just at till, also asked to wear ridiculous badges as well as the two badges that are to be worn already, and loyalty lead where you wear rfl cards on a key ring and approach customers on the floor and sign them up. ABSOULTELY RIDICULOUS!! This is a health shop I have never worked anywhere where I felt so stressed and under appreciated. This is only few things wrong with this company, stay away if your thinking of joining Holland and Barrett.

Continue reading
  4. "Large health food retailer"

I worked at Holland & Barrett Retail

Pros

Good training for employees on the products. Well known company.

Cons

Store management can be poor, sometimes poor attitude. Unfair travel expectations for associates getting to training locations.

5. "Great place to work"

4.0
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Balbriggan

I have been working at Holland & Barrett Retail full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good knowledge and Learning opportunities Flexibility

Cons

Hourly rate should be higher Lone working

6. "Could be better"

2.0
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Leeds, England

I worked at Holland & Barrett Retail part-time for less than a year

Pros

The discount was good until it was changed to just H&B products Easy to book time off

Cons

Horrible senior management, unsupportive work environment, wouldn't recommend

7. "Excellent company"

5.0
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Dublin, Dublin

I have been working at Holland & Barrett Retail part-time

Pros

Flexible hours, very expansive training, friendly staff and good management

Cons

Occasional lone trading from time to time

8. COVID-19

"You get out what you put in"

4.0
    Current Employee - Weekend Supervisor in Bristol, England

I have been working at Holland & Barrett Retail part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good discount, generally left to get on with work you need to do. Friendly staff. extra benefits during covid amazing training

Cons

Very target driven. Lots to achieve in a short amount of time. Need more staff.

9. "Health sector"

5.0
    Current Employee - Retail Store Supervisor in London, England

I have been working at Holland & Barrett Retail part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

many opportunities to gain knowledge and experiences within health and supplement sector

Cons

multitasking can be required and being sharp with customers and their requirements

10. "good training"

Former Employee - Store Colleauge in London, England

I worked at Holland & Barrett Retail full-time

Pros

Nice people, good opportunity to learn

Cons

High staff turn over, not much reward for hard work or long hours

Found 751 reviews