Holly Hill Hospital Reviews | Glassdoor

Thomas Cornwall, MD

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "BHT"

I worked at Holly Hill Hospital part-time

Pros

well organized, clients seemed to do well with the services offered

Cons

The nurses put all of the work on the BHT; they would rather just administer medicine.

2. "Great entry level position"

Former Employee - Admissions Counselor in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Admissions Counselor in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Holly Hill Hospital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Leadership in department is great. Staff was helpful and supportive. Great team environment. Supervisor was supportive and accomadating when it came to self care for staff.

Cons

Lack of security presence . Felt unsafe due to the level of patient acuity. There was nothing protecting staff and visitors from potent threats.

Advice to Management

Safety is important.

"Mental Health Tech"

I worked at Holly Hill Hospital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Human Resources make this place sound great. They are semi-helpful with things. If you are one that wants a predictable schedule and liked to be moved around a lot to different units, and can keep your head down and roll with the punches this job is ok for you.

Cons

Nursing management do not work with you on anything even when you ask for their help. They cater to a certain clique and will say they will help you, but never actually do. Staffing department is even worse. Your schedule is made a whole year in advance and if you want days off you HAVE to find someone to cover your shift. Then they will give you "occurrences" (points towards write ups, suspension, termination) if you cannot get anyone to cover your shift or call out sick. They do not accept Dr.'s notes. Then they will pull hours from your PTO to cover hours if you are a full time employee not getting in 40 hours a week, without the employees approval. Also, if you run out of PTO from them doing this, they will not approve of anyone to cover a shift, even if there are 3 or more people willing to accept the shift. Many of the nurses look down on the techs and make them do all the work, while they sit around on their cell phones eating and surfing the web all shift. Not worth the benefits, pay, or time to work here.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to employee concerns. Unhappy employees result in unhappy patients.

"Mental Health Technician"

Former Employee - Mental Health Technician in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Mental Health Technician in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Holly Hill Hospital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Getting to work with kids daily, helping children in times of crisis
    Get great experience in providing psycho-educational groups
    Exhausted when you get home, but not taking any work home with you.

Cons

High turn over
    Poor training
    No support once in job

Advice to Management

Provide better training that addresses the actual issues one will face on the unit.
    Provide more staff on the unit per shift to decrease likelihood of code 1s
    No room for advancement

"Great Place to Work-Lots of Growth"

I have been working at Holly Hill Hospital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working at Holly Hill has been an incredible experience. The hospital itself is intimate enough that you actually get to know your co-workers. However, Holly Hill is owned by a parent company that has been around for many decades which results in job security, growth potential, etc. There are constant opportunities for continued education and forums to voice your ideas. This is the first job I have had where I truly feel my ideas can come to life to better the hospital and the patients we serve.

Cons

None-it is still a job so not every day is going to be a walk in the park, but that is ANYWHERE you are employed.

"The most unsafe Behavorial Health hospital in the State."

Current Employee - Patient Support in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Patient Support in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Holly Hill Hospital full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

You're able to help so many mental health patients and try to make a difference in their lives

Cons

Low wages, low staffing on any given day, unsafe conditions...No security in and around the hospital grounds. Management seems to have a blind eye to all employee conditions and real requests for help. The 2 biggest issues: 1-Security, 2-Understaffing (ratio of staff per patients) both are one and the same though.

Advice to Management

Place yourself in the position of the low waged worker who deals with the patients every minute of the day. Try to accomplish what we do while being severely understaffed and not having the proper equipment or tools to do our job. Most importantly try being human and care a little bit, and stop being motivated by profits only!!!

"Intimidating Work Environment, Lazy "leaders""

Current Employee - Mental Health Technician in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Mental Health Technician in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Holly Hill Hospital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you are the type that likes to do shoddy work and get away with inappropriate behavior with patients, this place is for you. The supervisors will do (almost) everything in their power to cover up your messes because they know it is also their fault if you screw up (since they were SUPPOSED to be supervising)

Cons

The environment at this hospital is nothing like other hospitals (or work places). Everywhere a person works can have difficult days, but this place only wants those who are as crass and insulting as the dominant personality. If you have a respectful, hard-working attitude, you will be taken advantage of and then blamed when you are the only one working. When you bring this to the attention to the nurses (who are supposed to be running the floor), they blame you for "letting" the other workers step all over you. When you approach the other workers, the workers will make fun of you and cuss you out, right in front of the nurses. Do the nurses correct their insubordination? No. They are only concerned with self-preservation.
    This is not like any other work environment.
    I am not sure how the Children's hospital work environment is ran. I am only speaking of the adult hospital.
    VERY high turnover.
    Also, if you think the MHTs are actually walking around and checking on patients, think again. I know of a few MHTs that just stand or sit in the same spot and fill out the safety sheets with random patient locations.

Advice to Management

Actually manage. Fire the lazy nurses and MHTs and require more impressive resumes to hire someone. MHTs require little to no education and it reflects in the workmanship.

"Horrible place"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Pros

None that I can think of.

Cons

Awful and extremely rude workmates that stereo type and put someone in a box before they even get to know someone.... I thought working in a psych hospital would have been a good experience, this is because I personally suffer from depression, bipolar disorder and PTSD....but most days I came to work I would be so anxious and nervous, I would feel so intimidated and Extremely villified as co-workers would speak ill of me and make me feel so imbecilic for making mistakes( mind you, I had been there for 4weeks only) .....I ended up getting sicker as I started to sink further into my depression, so to save my health I left.

This was the worst experience in my life, the worst place to work ......

"Environment of intimidation"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Holly Hill Hospital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None really. Co-workers do stick together in very tough working situations. The patients who get help are great. Few will but that is more about the illness and not the hospital.

Cons

Mangement is very sneaky. They use paper documentation in order to manipulate situations and change what has actually happened. Many of the doctors commit fraud on a daily basis by billing patients that they never see. Patients are often kept longer than necessary without actually being treated and a patient will be discharged if uninsured even if that patient remains a danger to themselves or others. One patient discharged committed multiple murders and a rape right after being discharged from the facility because he was a charity case.

Advice to Management

Stop committing fraud. If you care more about profits than patients it is best to move to another line of work where your greed doesn't cause loss of life.

"MHT"

Pros

Good co-workers, some rewarding interaction with patients

Cons

significant safety concerns, low morale