Holly Hill Hospital Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Thomas Cornwall, MD

1. "Mental Health Technician"

Former Employee - Mental Health Technician in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Mental Health Technician in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Holly Hill Hospital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Getting to work with kids daily, helping children in times of crisis
    Get great experience in providing psycho-educational groups
    Exhausted when you get home, but not taking any work home with you.

Cons

High turn over
    Poor training
    No support once in job

Advice to Management

Provide better training that addresses the actual issues one will face on the unit.
    Provide more staff on the unit per shift to decrease likelihood of code 1s
    No room for advancement

2. "The most unsafe Behavorial Health hospital in the State."

Current Employee - Patient Support in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Patient Support in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Holly Hill Hospital full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

You're able to help so many mental health patients and try to make a difference in their lives

Cons

Low wages, low staffing on any given day, unsafe conditions...No security in and around the hospital grounds. Management seems to have a blind eye to all employee conditions and real requests for help. The 2 biggest issues: 1-Security, 2-Understaffing (ratio of staff per patients) both are one and the same though.

Advice to Management

Place yourself in the position of the low waged worker who deals with the patients every minute of the day. Try to accomplish what we do while being severely understaffed and not having the proper equipment or tools to do our job. Most importantly try being human and care a little bit, and stop being motivated by profits only!!!

"Environment of intimidation"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Holly Hill Hospital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None really. Co-workers do stick together in very tough working situations. The patients who get help are great. Few will but that is more about the illness and not the hospital.

Cons

Mangement is very sneaky. They use paper documentation in order to manipulate situations and change what has actually happened. Many of the doctors commit fraud on a daily basis by billing patients that they never see. Patients are often kept longer than necessary without actually being treated and a patient will be discharged if uninsured even if that patient remains a danger to themselves or others. One patient discharged committed multiple murders and a rape right after being discharged from the facility because he was a charity case.

Advice to Management

Stop committing fraud. If you care more about profits than patients it is best to move to another line of work where your greed doesn't cause loss of life.

5. "Intimidating Work Environment, Lazy "leaders""

Current Employee - Mental Health Technician in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Mental Health Technician in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Holly Hill Hospital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you are the type that likes to do shoddy work and get away with inappropriate behavior with patients, this place is for you. The supervisors will do (almost) everything in their power to cover up your messes because they know it is also their fault if you screw up (since they were SUPPOSED to be supervising)

Cons

The environment at this hospital is nothing like other hospitals (or work places). Everywhere a person works can have difficult days, but this place only wants those who are as crass and insulting as the dominant personality. If you have a respectful, hard-working attitude, you will be taken advantage of and then blamed when you are the only one working. When you bring this to the attention to the nurses (who are supposed to be running the floor), they blame you for "letting" the other workers step all over you. When you approach the other workers, the workers will make fun of you and cuss you out, right in front of the nurses. Do the nurses correct their insubordination? No. They are only concerned with self-preservation.
    This is not like any other work environment.
    I am not sure how the Children's hospital work environment is ran. I am only speaking of the adult hospital.
    VERY high turnover.
    Also, if you think the MHTs are actually walking around and checking on patients, think again. I know of a few MHTs that just stand or sit in the same spot and fill out the safety sheets with random patient locations.

Advice to Management

Actually manage. Fire the lazy nurses and MHTs and require more impressive resumes to hire someone. MHTs require little to no education and it reflects in the workmanship.

"Horrible place"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Pros

None that I can think of.

Cons

Awful and extremely rude workmates that stereo type and put someone in a box before they even get to know someone.... I thought working in a psych hospital would have been a good experience, this is because I personally suffer from depression, bipolar disorder and PTSD....but most days I came to work I would be so anxious and nervous, I would feel so intimidated and Extremely villified as co-workers would speak ill of me and make me feel so imbecilic for making mistakes( mind you, I had been there for 4weeks only) .....I ended up getting sicker as I started to sink further into my depression, so to save my health I left.

This was the worst experience in my life, the worst place to work ......

"Human Resources"

Former Employee - Human Resources in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Holly Hill Hospital part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly Staff
    Good ethics
    Fast paced environment

Cons

Work can be draining
    People don't always realize what they are signing up for

"registered nurse"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Holly Hill Hospital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None that come to mind very readily, some really nice co-workers. Some. Satisfaction when you have some good patient interactions when you actually have that time to spend with a patient.

Cons

Poor salary even for a below national average area, they are even below the below national average, someone said in another review there is a prison mentality and that's exactly right, must wear certain items only and must purchase them through Holly Hill, cold - must wear their logo sweatshirt, though your badge clearly states Holly Hill on it, you must purchase patches to sew on your tops, only white long sleeved tees allowed under tops or they threaten to send you home for being non-compliant.
    On the home company site they claim to be an owner of 216-226 (which is it UHS?) medical and psychiatric facilities yet Holly Hill is shockingly behind the times with computerized systems and the few they do have don't speak to each other. Nothing like wanting to cry in frustration manually piecing together a chart, nothing like having to peel off labels and put them on all the pages then hand write the same information over and over and over on multiple pages and multiple places. What! You've been here a week and can't complete an admission in 30 minutes! I could likely type that fast, I can't recall ever having to write this much in my life.

Advice to Management

Come join the computer age. Stop with bizarre 1915 dress practices. Stop punishing people for having a life outside of work with mandatory meetings that would take away more time from children, spouse and ill parents. Especially meetings that are just to brag about some trophy cup.

"Would not recommend"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Raleigh, NC

Pros

Some good people work there that really want to help patients

Cons

Unable to take a day off or use your vacation. All requests are denied unless you can find your own coverage which is impossible. Management takes all holidays and many vacations. No secretaries so nurses spend most of time doing secretary job. I have seen many good nurses in tears because they can't finish the paperwork and take care of patients. I have been scared of losing my license many times because of the unsafe staffing ratios and inability to provide reasonable care. Very understaffed to the point of being dangerous. Even a 70 year old nurse is expected to restrain violent patients that have been recruited from the jail. Many patient and employee injuries and you will be treated badly if you report an injury.

Advice to Management

Pay employees a fair wage, the salary is a joke. Hire more staff so we can do our jobs and actually have time to talk to patients.

"Understaffed"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Holly Hill Hospital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I'm the type of person who like to help people that's in need and I felt like i accomplished that to the best of my ability when patients would tell me how i made them feel safe and how much help and caring I was during their stay.

Cons

The management didn't care if we didn't have enough staff. They never would speak when coming on units and never made you feel appreciated instead just pin pointed all the negatives and would leave units understaff. It's very stressful having 16-30 patients and only 1 tech to assist. That's ridiculous!

Advice to Management

Hire more staff. Make staff feel appreciated.

"Hospital has a one tracked mind. And that mind is making money."

Former Employee - Administrator in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Administrator in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Holly Hill Hospital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The workplace is very fast paced and you are never bored. The patients are a joy to be around and helping them was the only thing that kept me there so long.

Cons

Insulting salaries, sketchy management, high turnover rate of staffing, understaffed, majority of the staff are burned out and in turn, have a negative attitude that can be very toxic. Poor morale. The only bonus you get is a Christmas turkey or ham, and a 5 dollar Target gift card on your birthday. Administration will cut corners on patient care to make more money. For example, they stopped allowing second servings at meal times, took away blankets for the lobby, and send staff home to save money even though it becomes a safety risk for patient to staff ratio. For example, a FT nurse is now considered 32 hours a week instead of the 40 that they depend on working. (even though when I left the hospital was short nearly 20 nurses)

Advice to Management

You must show your employees that they are appreciated and compensate them fairly if you ever want to retain your staff.