Hollywood Life Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 1, 2019

Found 18 reviews

1.8
Jay Penske

"If you have any professional experience whatsoever, don't do this to yourself."

I worked at Hollywood Life full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Nice building, you have the chance to meet people at other publications. - Build experience quickly (because you'll have to do EVERYTHING, qualified or not.)

Cons

- You will be constantly berated, your intelligence and skills will be questioned, no one will defend you. - No matter how many extra responsibilities you take on, you will not get a raise or a better title. - You will work nearly every weekend from January until June covering awards shows with no pay besides "comp time," not equal to the time you actually work. You *might* get a donut as a reward. - You'll get...

Advice to Management

The structure, management, and morale is so terrible, I don't think there's a way to fix it short of removing the EIC and managers and starting over.

Hollywood Life2017-10-14

"I Wouldn't Recommend To My Worst Enemy"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Hollywood Life full-time

Pros

The location of the office was excellent

Cons

-Low pay -Degrading management -Horrible atmosphere -Judgmental and verbally abusive coworkers (It starts from the top and trickles down) -Bad news judgement -Long hours, overtime and weekends with no pay (but you'll get cupcakes/bagels) -Favoritism -Unethical -There's no loyalty

Advice to Management

Where does one even begin?

Hollywood Life2017-10-11

"Avoid At All Costs"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Hollywood Life

Pros

Only bc Glass Door insists on a Pro-conveniently located.

Cons

A nightmare work environment of Shakespearean proportion. Not one person there is happy-someone cries every day. The culture is like the worst high school lunchroom you've ever imagined. As close to as possible to "Heathers" without actually committing murder.

Hollywood Life2016-12-02
  4. "Fun enviornment"

Former Employee - Fashion Editorial Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Hollywood Life for more than a year

Pros

Amazing to see your name on their website after writing stories, you can build a great portfolio. Very fun upbeat environment, lots of free stuff and celebs. Get to go to different events.

Cons

During the day if you're not going to an event it can be boring sitting behind a computer all day.

Hollywood Life2015-07-21
  5. "Most rewarding internship!"

Former Employee - Beauty Editorial in New York, NY

I worked at Hollywood Life for less than a year

Pros

Interns will NEVER get the employers coffee. They really utilized my assets and as a result I gained so much experience! I left feeling accomplished with 50 published beauty articles.

Cons

The 8 weeks went by too fast!

Hollywood Life2015-07-09

"Ruins life & all relationships"

Former Employee - Editor in New York, NY

I worked at Hollywood Life full-time for less than a year

Pros

Small company, opportunity to move up fast. Work next to top editors

Cons

Treatment is horrible: you're looked down on and spoken to like an animal. There's no work-life balance. Usually employees work 60+ work weeks, then every possible award show or event. Don't take if you have any personal relationships in the industry because the name will ruin all of them.

Advice to Management

Let the editor in chief go, the company can completely run without her micro managing.

Hollywood Life2015-06-29

"Better than being jobless and homeless"

Former Employee - Reporter in New York, NY

I worked at Hollywood Life full-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent perks, team-like environment, great entry-level company to learn the ropes of digital media and how to handle the stress of a fast-paced job with a demanding boss. Good room for advancement if you work hard and prove yourself.

Cons

How much time do you have? Plan to work 60+ hours a week with no overtime (daily schedule plus working events in the evening, TV recaps, weekends, awards shows, etc.). No work-life balance. Boss will get your cell phone number and harass you at all hours of the day. Leadership structure is unclear. Favorites are played and people throw each other under the bus.

Advice to Management

Have a more clear leadership structure. Needs better communication.

Hollywood Life2014-12-03

"The Devil Wears Prada 2.0"

Former Employee - Creative Director in New York, NY

I worked at Hollywood Life for less than a year

Pros

OK pay Fun, bright, helpful employees Free food Beautiful office and view

Cons

Demanding hours Expectancy to work from home No work/life balance Unclear expectations/communication Infamously domineering/controlling boss

Advice to Management

Management does not tailor to the growth or feelings of the employees. It's a take-take relationship, and little room for advancement based on the fact that you are never recognized for great work. Though many of us are under stress to put out the best content quickly, this cannot be managed with so many shifting priorities at once; this will ultimately lead to high turnover, poor results, bad word-of- mouth and burnout....

Hollywood Life2012-09-10