Hollywood Video Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Hollywood Video CEO Mark Wattles
Mark Wattles

Pros
  • Free movie rentals, talking about movies you love to customers (in 37 reviews)

• Flexible schedule, free movie rentals and the ability to watch movies before they come out to the general public (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • low pay, long hours, open 365 days a year (in 14 reviews)

• must often work long hours as a manager (in 6 reviews)

1. "Customer service"

Former Employee - Customer Service
    Former Employee - Customer Service

I worked at Hollywood Video part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are fun to work with and the hours are flexible

Cons

Pay is not so great

2. "Good Memories"

Former Employee - Shift Leader in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Shift Leader in Tampa, FL

I worked at Hollywood Video part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Talking to customers about movies all day was the greatest! Staff were very fun to work with and also loved movies. You could check out three movies/games at a time for free. Flexible schedule!

Cons

Working holidays wasn't fun. You could receive late fees on your free movie rentals even though you worked there. We went through a good four managers at several locations that I worked at. Basically I moved from each store in Tampa until they were all closed; starting at Bruce B Downs. Pay was very low.

Advice to Management

I think they could have lasted a few more years like Blockbuster if they had not changed the monthly rental system to some messed up point system. It confused the customers so badly that they left in droves that last year. If I, as an employee, can barely describe the new rental system then your customers sure are not going to understand. It definitely was their quicker downfall.

3. "Jobs of The Past"

Former Employee - Guest Service Representative in Oceanside, CA
    Former Employee - Guest Service Representative in Oceanside, CA

I worked at Hollywood Video part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working as a Guest Service Representative at Hollywood video was great for the most part. Our customers were generally easy to work with.

Cons

Some of the promotions that we were told to push on customers were ridiculous and a nuisance to customers. The company didn't know how to compete in the digital landscape of streaming video and as a result they folded.

5. "GSR"

Former Employee - Shift Leader in Santa Maria, CA
    Former Employee - Shift Leader in Santa Maria, CA

I worked at Hollywood Video part-time

Pros

Great team and awesome management! Loved working there part time while in college. Our manager cared about his employees as much as he cared about the store. He always encouraged work-life balance.

Cons

Working during the holidays wasn't always the best, but I worked with great people so I didnt mind it as much. And the time and half OT pay made it worth it.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! I Iearned great management skills from my boss and now use those skills as a manager myself. Some of my fondest memories of a manager involved my Hollywood video manager.

6. "Hollywood Video"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Hollywood Video full-time

Pros

Great company to work for. If you loved movies and games, this was the place for you.

Cons

Minimal hrs for associates and went out of business :/

7. "Was great for high school"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Hollywood Video part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free movie rentals. Always up to date on releases. Could watch G / PG movies while working on weekday mornings, very chill.

Cons

Video stores aren't really around anymore. People would get angry about late fees. Had to deal with a lot of theft.

Advice to Management

Try to emulate red box and netflix to keep up with the times. It may be too late, may have already gone under.

8. "Go discounts on movies."

Former Employee - Store Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Hollywood Video full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free movie rentals. Free game rental. Discounted used movies. Discounted used games. Discounted new movies.

Cons

Long hours. Not enough labor hours given. Not even new rental movies ordered. Not enough new games ordered. Sales goals unfair.

Advice to Management

Give more labor hours.

9. "It was ok"

Pros

Provides an excellent opportunity to work around media that you are passionate about and to find others with shared interests and ideas. Worked with a great team. Get to talk about movies, video games

Cons

sales goals were difficult to make and there was a lot of pressure to meet those goals. The managers seemed out of touch especially the District managers.

10. "Wasn't bad while it lasted"

Former Employee - Store Director in Shoreline, WA
    Former Employee - Store Director in Shoreline, WA

I worked at Hollywood Video full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Moved up quickly within the company. From entry level to Store Manager in about 2 years. Flexible schedule, free movie rentals and the ability to watch movies before they come out to the general public. Decent benefits and even offered them to Part-Time employees.

Cons

High pressure sales, tyrannical leadership. Business model that was not successful for apparent reasons (because the company is not Out Of Business). Never put any serious effort or money into advertising, instead had their Salaried Store Managers out spamming parking lots with flyers.

Advice to Management

Less corporate spending next time. Keep current with technology.

11. "franchise"

Pros

fun people, good environment, good regulars

Cons

low pay, terrible upper management