Hollywood Video Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

Hollywood Video CEO Mark Wattles
Mark Wattles

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Free movie rentals, talking about movies you love to customers (in 38 reviews)

• Flexible schedule, free movie rentals and the ability to watch movies before they come out to the general public (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • High pressure sales, tyrannical leadership (in 3 reviews)

• We are forced to make around a hundred cold calls a day, pretty much begging old customers to return by offering free rentals to them (in 8 reviews)

"Hollywood or Hell? It's a tough decision..."

Current Employee - Shift Leader in Anderson, SC
    Current Employee - Shift Leader in Anderson, SC

Pros

The co-workers are usually awesome. It's akin to having war buddies-everyone is stuck in the same bullcrap drama you are, so you have people to relate to. Some of the customers are awesome. We get more praise from customers than our management, which is really sad.

The only real perk that's used at Hollywood is the free rentals. If one rents movies frequently, then it may actually be worth some of the horrible things we deal with. However, if someone is like me and rarely uses said perk, then it's wasted. I wish we could trade in the free rental perk for a raise.

Cons

There is a total lack of intelligence where our manager is concerned. She's great as a co-worker, but as a manger, I'm pretty sure a dead animal can do better. There is absolutely no feedback, it takes literally MONTHS for her to do things she's promised to do within the next few hours. She leaves rude notes to employees concerning job performance, but when confronted face to face, she smiles and tries to laugh it off, saying everything is fine. All the problem customers are directed to me because I have better customer service skills (and considerably more patience). She takes every weekend and holiday off even though half the staff has missed important holidays with their children. (She has no children, just two dogs who she calls her "fur babies".)

Corporate management is a complete JOKE. We are lied to about charity work that the company is supposedly doing for terminally ill children. (Did anyone see the article in The Oregonian regarding playguards? Google it, it's worth it) We are expected to lie to customers on a regular basis. We are forced to make around a hundred cold calls a day, pretty much begging old customers to return by offering free rentals to them. Late fees are a joke. Nobody is required to pay them if they don't want to and anyone who calls corporate with a complaint, (even if they're obviously lying) will have late fees removed, free rentals added to their account, and sometimes get free gift cards.

Our corporate office has completely screwed up everything about our job and we've lost hundreds of customers because of it. However, we're expected to sell about nine times as much crap now as we did when I first started two years ago. We're required to constantly pester customers in the store, trying to get them to spend more more more, all while only having maybe twenty copies total of the "hot new releases" that everyone wants.

Hollywood spends SO MUCH MONEY on total crap trying to push the latest sure to fail promotion that we get just a few copies of movies that our remaining customers want.

Advice to Management

1. Do not spend another dime on promotions unless it is for a movie. Nobody wants to buy a freakin playguard since it's not going to the terminally ill kids anymore. Please actually send us more candy so we can push the bundle promotions. Please buy more copies of movies that people actually want to see instead of wasting your money on stuff that won't sell.

2. Please look and see who is actually doing the work in the stores. Reward those people accordingly. Get rid of the dead weight.

3. Please learn to pay us for ALL of the time worked. We've had to get supplemental checks two out of the past three paydates because we're getting shorted about twenty hours each. Get it together already! We've had employees quit because they're not getting their checks! We're down to four-count it- FOUR employees to run a 7 day a week, 365 day a year movie store.

4. Please be timely in granting raises and make sure people are actually receiving them on their checks. Paper promotions are great and all, but when you need money, the check is the only thing that matters.

5. For the love of all that is holy, please get rid of those damned lasped and birthday calls! Like I said, we're a 4 employee operation and we do not have time to do your useless dirty work. Nine times out of ten, it's a wrong number or the number is disconnected. Have those calls automated, like the other ones you so love to use.

6. How about providing REAL training to your employees? It's all nice that we know how to set the wall, but if we're not taugh to handle certain customer situations, you lose money, we lose patience and you lose employees.

I could go on for hours, but this is just a basic list.

2. "Hollywood Video, Low Pay, Bad Management, No Wonder We Filed Bankruptcy!"

Former Employee - Store Director in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Store Director in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

Hollywood Video is a laid back environment with Friday and Saturday being the highest volume days. This makes for a productive work week. Employees receive free rental privlages, including access to the movies prior to the public release.

Cons

Hollywood Video is not competitive salary wise with Blockbuster or Family Video, each making about 10k more a year for the same job. Hollywood Video has a poor Senior Management staff that has spent little, if any, time in the field. Hollywood Video require management to work every Friday and Saturday night, which makes for an awfull balance between life and work.

Advice to Management

Spend time in the field. Speak to management and learn about the obstacles being thrown at them out there. ADVERTISE!!!

3. "Maybe if H'wood video had given emp. a reason to stay things wouldn't be sooo dire for them now."

Former Employee - Store Director in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Store Director in Nashville, TN

Pros

You are given 3 free video rentals per day.

Cons

Long hours, lack of respect, hard work done but never promotion from within. Having to work overnight to inventory everything in the store.

Advice to Management

The main reason that you are in such financial trouble is because you don't retain employees. You push great employees out by giving them no indication that they are valuable. You constantly talk about promotion from within but never follow through. I know that video rental in brick and mortor is going by the wayside but maybe if you had given your employees some incentive to fight for the company things might have turned out differently.

4. "Why would anyone still work for Hollywood Video or Movie Gallery?"

Pros

It used to be a fun place to work and free rentals are nice. My flexible schedule was great and easy to manage.

Cons

When Sharid Mityas took over the company, it went downhill very fast. Upper Management asked stores to achieve impossible goals and constantly cut labor to an unmanageble level.

Advice to Management

Get a clue and listen to your people. Anyone in the field who is thought to be "negative" is quickly out of a job, and morale is horrible.

5. "Done with this company"

Current Employee - SMIT
    Current Employee - SMIT

Pros

My store manager is amazing and I love her and wish her and my co workers the best, they are all amazing, intelligent people.

Cons

I loved my job at Hollywood Video when I started there almost 5 years ago. Now, I'm done. I have already secured a new position at a different company and can't wait to get out of the toxic waste dump that Hollywood Video has become. There is no positive feedback for anybody anymore, we are trying to run million dollar stores with only one or two associates at a time, we are threatened constantly when our numbers don't match up with the impossible goals that they have set. I'm willing to bet this company won't survive another two years, and I won't be sorry to see it go.

Advice to Management

Listen to what your lower level workers are telling you. They aren't just whining, they're working face to face with your customers every day and can tell you a lot more about what would help the company than the million dollar an hour experts you're currently wasting your money on.

6. "Run for your life!"

Former Employee - Store Director in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Store Director in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

The best thing about working for hollywood video is the free rentals. That's about it. It May seem like fun at first, but over time you will get over-worked and under appreciated and burnt out fast.

Cons

The position used to be fun years ago before netflix and redbox. The company is struggling to stay relevant, much less open. The job has turned into much like that of a used car salesman except they get more respect.

Advice to Management

Put money into the stores, ie replace carpet, paint, fix t.v.'s etc. Bring back staff appreciation picnics, training and development classes for associates.

7. "Closing Time"

Current Employee - Training Store Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Training Store Manager in Seattle, WA

Pros

Free Rentals are the only benefit. This used to be a great company to work for. Over the past 3 years everytime we were at a fork in the road Sr. Management took the wrong turn.

Cons

Very hostile environment. Stores are closing left and right with little notice. Powerplay is not a bad program but we have cannibalized our revenue stream in an attempt to sign people up on a subscription program. Constant threats if you do not perform minimum promotion sales even though the program cuts revenue and ultimately harms the store.

Advice to Management

This company does not promote from within beyond the store level anymore. Sr. leadership lacks anyone that has ever worked at a store, district or regional level. As a result there is a fundamental lasck of comprehension about our business.Sherif Mityas is the CEO and when I have seen him he seems like a descent guy. He is just uninformed.

8. "Game Crazy"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Beloit, WI
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Beloit, WI

Pros

Prior to the restructuring under CJ Gabriel and Sheriff Mityas, was a great place to work, prospects looked good. Fun place to work, always busy.

Cons

My location is gone due to awful middle management. The District level management through the regional was atrocious.

Advice to Management

You need to complete reboot the company. take a look at what Mark Wattles is doing with the stores he buys. SPin Game Crazy off into a separate company rather than forcing it to go down with the video ship.

9. "Terrible place to work"

Current Employee - Store Director in Dickson City, PA
    Current Employee - Store Director in Dickson City, PA

Pros

free rentals...oops...not anymore. Cheap movies

Cons

they are closing. Terrible coprate offices. they treat employees poorly

Advice to Management

please do us a favor and pay us more and take a smaller bonus.

10. "There is a reason why the company filed for bankruptcy and closed!"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Hollywood Video full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Flexible schedule
    -easy to move up
    -fun environment
    -free rentals and access to movies before they were released
    -employee discounts on games and accessories
    -great employees with a drive to succeed
    Everyday was a fun day on the job, because, as management, I made sure my team was pumped up enough to help customers and make sales. The people we would hire helped create a culture that spawned a district wide family. Everyone at the store levels knew each other and would consistently help each other out, and there was never animosity just a friendly camaraderie. I can't say I miss the friends I made there, because we still, mostly, keep in touch, but I do miss the culture we created.

Cons

Everything else that has to do with the company, and it was a pain to deal with anything at the store level. I say it was a pain because they changed their minds on everything a daily basis, and it was hard to complete everything you had to do within time limits and no hours for man power. They made horrible decisions and wasted money on the simplest things like marketing signage that would sit in the back office for years never to be used. There is a reason why they went belly up, and the employees had no control over it. HR was a joke and had no real authority over the elitism in upper management positions. They found any reason to fire you if they didn't like you, and lie so you couldn't collect unemployment. The pay was lousy and for the amount of work you put in was not enough for what they asked of you, and towards the end they just didn't bother to pay certain people.