Hollywood Video Reviews | Glassdoor

Hollywood Video Reviews

Updated April 25, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Free movie rentals, talking about movies you love to customers (in 38 reviews)

• Flexible schedule, free movie rentals and the ability to watch movies before they come out to the general public (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • low pay, long hours, open 365 days a year (in 14 reviews)

• must often work long hours as a manager (in 6 reviews)

1. "It was ok"

Pros

Provides an excellent opportunity to work around media that you are passionate about and to find others with shared interests and ideas. Worked with a great team. Get to talk about movies, video games

Cons

sales goals were difficult to make and there was a lot of pressure to meet those goals. The managers seemed out of touch especially the District managers.

2. "Good Job. Fun"

Pros

Great experience, Great people, fun times

Cons

Long hours, low pay, Dealing with customers

3. "Not recommended for anyone."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Columbia, SC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Columbia, SC

I worked at Hollywood Video part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free company rentals for movies. That's literally all I can think of. Other than that the benefits are the exact same as any other entry level, part time job in a retail position. No benefits, no vacation time, minimum wage.

Cons

Virtually no opportunity for promotion outside of your immediate superior quitting. Not enough labor at any given time creates too much of a work load for all employees. The company was losing business very quickly to services like Netflix, and eventually filed for bankruptcy. Because of that (before the bankruptcy) they continually placed MASSIVE sales demands on all their bottom level employees in an effort to stop themselves from going bankrupt.

Advice to Management

Don't try to make your bottom level employees attempt to sustain the sinking ship of your business by compounding ever increasing sales demands on them.

4. "Good Starter Job, Poor High Level Management"

Former Employee - Shift Manager in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Shift Manager in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Hollywood Video full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun environment with a great client base. Provides an excellent opportunity to work around media that you are passionate about and to find others with shared interests and ideas.

Cons

Poor compensation and a management structure that focuses too heavily on sales quotas as opposed to client service. Quota structure incentivizes sale of product with lower profit margins defeating purpose of holding sales force accountable for increasing company's bottom line.

Advice to Management

Focus on Client Service not Salesmanship and Qoutas

5. "Decent Retail Job"

Pros

It was very easy. Spent a lot of time reading since we were near a Blockbuster. Got free movies and games each week.

Cons

The pay was not very good, and the management was mediocre at best. We were expected to sell promotions with little to no incentive.

6. "Wasn't bad while it lasted"

Former Employee - Store Director in Shoreline, WA
    Former Employee - Store Director in Shoreline, WA

I worked at Hollywood Video full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Moved up quickly within the company. From entry level to Store Manager in about 2 years. Flexible schedule, free movie rentals and the ability to watch movies before they come out to the general public. Decent benefits and even offered them to Part-Time employees.

Cons

High pressure sales, tyrannical leadership. Business model that was not successful for apparent reasons (because the company is not Out Of Business). Never put any serious effort or money into advertising, instead had their Salaried Store Managers out spamming parking lots with flyers.

Advice to Management

Less corporate spending next time. Keep current with technology.

7. "Best job I ever had...I miss it every day."

I worked at Hollywood Video full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The people and the flexibility.

Cons

Late hours and the company closed.

8. "Assistant Manager At Game Crazy"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Medford, OR
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Medford, OR

I worked at Hollywood Video full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You got to play video games all day except when you had to help those pesky customers. New and interesting people come in all the time. Coworkers were awesome.

Cons

Meth addicts would bring cans in to try and buy video games. Silly meth addicts. District managers were just the worst. They would come down and tell you to sell more crap customers didn't need, start a huge project to remodel the whole store and then leave in the middle of it leaving you to pick up the pieces of their mess.

Advice to Management

What management? It was run by a bunch of kids trying to manage kids.

9. "Customer Service Representative interview"

Former Employee - Customer Service in Westwood, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Westwood, CA

I worked at Hollywood Video full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I began my first job here during college and I learned a lot in regards to how to treat customers and what daily tasks to be responsible for. I also began to take on extra duties not originally assigned to me and began to work my way upward using them as leverage for raises.

Cons

I was in college at the time, and although I loved working at Hollywood Video I felt that at times since the schedule was a bit on the late side for me, as well as not having a car, I would be getting home at a very late hour and would go to sleep immediately and wake up a bit tired the next day.

Advice to Management

I feel that there could have been many more opportunities for growth and training sessions that could have propelled me faster toward management.

10. "very great place to work"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Brookhaven, PA
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Brookhaven, PA

I worked at Hollywood Video full-time

Pros

the people that i had worked with and the customers

Cons

there really wasnt any if i had to pick the paper work inventory

Advice to Management

as long as your doing ur job and showing inprovement you cna move up the ladder quickly