Home City Ice Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.1
Ted Sedler

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great place to work, Good Pay, Good Envrionment (in 15 reviews)

• Great place to work if your a college student who needs a good summer job that needs no commitment after you leave for school (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours are sometimes required, as long as working 1 day during the weekends and holidays in the summer (in 30 reviews)

• Hours can be pretty bad sometimes especially around holidays be prepared to work 15 hours day on memorial day weekend and 4th of july (in 4 reviews)

1. "Driver"

Pros

All commission based so you can make as much as you want really

Cons

Long days and physical work

2. "Find another job way better places to work"

Current Employee - Delivery Driver in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Delivery Driver in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Home City Ice full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Can make good money if you have a good route/plant manager and the weather stays hot and dry.

Cons

No benefits,pay subs don't clearly say how you made money, all commission no hourly really hurts your pay when management don't plan routes well

Advice to Management

Call stops to make sure they need ice and don't make drivers drive around for hours for no reason. Don't give great routes to just one person spread it around to everyone.

Home City Ice Response

Aug 14, 2017

Thank you for the feedback. We certainly understand the value in a good route and have implemented new technologies to continue to build great routes. A great route leads to more money for the driver... More

3. "Great Start"

Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Home City Ice part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly, Fast Paced, Focused work environment, management is flexible. Huge growth opportunity for students.

Cons

Company needs more furniture, growth opportunity is lower for administrative or office staff

4. "Avoid at all cost."

Former Employee - Driver Class B in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Driver Class B in Detroit, MI

I worked at Home City Ice full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The only positive thing about this job is that there is very little oversight, you are mainly on your own all day delivering ice.

Cons

There is no short day at HCI, 12 hours MINIMUM. It is all commission based which is about 10% of your total sales for the day. This can be good and bad because you could end up working 14 hours and make less money then a 10 hour day depending on how much ice you sell. Also the day never has to end since you have to hit priority stops and call ins. Every second you are not filling an ice box is working for free. I once had to drive an extra 3 hours because ONE stop needed Ice. Management is a joke as well. My boss was younger than me and his boss was my age. They didn't know how to deal with Employees basically telling me you have to do it even tho it's total bs basically slave labor at certain times. Also management is essentially required to take phone calls and set up route schedules which probably is 1% work. I walked in on my boss numerous times just watching youtube on computer after giving me more stops to do after I think my days over. We never got what we were promised which was dedicated loaders of ice which is time you do not get paid for and to have trucks run out to you so you didn't have to reload. Which can take up to 2 hours if everyone comes back at the same time. Without cdl b you can only take 5 pallets of ice which is like 6 hours of work and then you have to reload then you have to load at the end of the day too! All for free because it's commission. The job itself was easy and mindless but the people you deal with at the gas stations and Meijers are really garbage people and disgusting.

Advice to Management

Limit work days to 1 truck load for cdl b and 2 for non cdl. Do better research on what places need ice. Have a dedicated loader. Have a Meijer only route. Don't screw your employees because you get more money if they fill more ice.

Home City Ice Response

Aug 7, 2017

First and foremost, thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. Without feedback, it is impossible to address any concerns.

While it may not have been obvious to you, plant managers have a... More

5. "Delivery Driver"

Current Employee - Delivery Driver
    Current Employee - Delivery Driver

I have been working at Home City Ice full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

flexible schedules, commission base pay. great way to earn good money if you don't mind putting in the work and the hours.

Cons

Not knowing what kind of hours you may have to work on a daily basis. And no sort of overtime pay. If your actually good at your job, more work is put on you without being compensated for it.

"It was good"

Former Employee - Driver in Forest Park, Hamilton, OH
    Former Employee - Driver in Forest Park, Hamilton, OH

I worked at Home City Ice part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good work, fast paced, flexible schedule.

Cons

Very taxing physically. Long days.

7. "Delivery Driver"

Former Employee - Delivery Driver in Crown Point, IN
    Former Employee - Delivery Driver in Crown Point, IN

I worked at Home City Ice full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay for college student

Cons

Long Hours
    Holiday Weekends may work 15hours

8. "Decent Summer Job"

Current Employee - Delivery Driver in Erie, PA
    Current Employee - Delivery Driver in Erie, PA

I have been working at Home City Ice part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Independence, Decent Pay, Flexible Hours

Cons

Incompetent management, Old trucks, hard labor

"Great Place & People"

I have been working at Home City Ice full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay, flexible hours, fun environment.

Cons

I am new but so far so good.

"Demanding but very rewarding job"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Home City Ice full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexibility with schedule as long as you communicate properly and in a timely fashion with management.

Great pay as long as you are motivated and willing to do the work asked of you. If you don't then your paycheck will reflect that.

Management is open and honest about any issues you have. They are always willing to discuss anything and work through any problems to find a solution.

Cons

Long hours are sometimes required, as long as working 1 day during the weekends and holidays in the summer. But that is something you know about going into this job, it is the nature of an ice company. If you expect to work here but not work on the 4th of July weekend then that just shows ignorance on your part. The upside to that is you can make insane money ($500+ in one day) by working those holidays.

Advice to Management

Stay awesome and positive. And keep the employee needs and requests at a level of high importance so they feel valued and have a chance to grow within the company.