Home Depot Canada Reviews | Glassdoor

Home Depot Canada Reviews

Updated July 13, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Provide some benefits for part-time employee (in 45 reviews)

• Management eager to promote from within, good benefits package, willing to work with you on work/life balance (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • 3 week rotation for Department Supervisor does not allow for work life balance and changes are not open to discussion (in 20 reviews)

• the nature of retail is it can be tough to get full time hours (in 36 reviews)

1. "Just starting out"

Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Port Coquitlam, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Port Coquitlam, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Home Depot Canada (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone is very friendly and welcoming. Really positive environment. Even in the break room, everyone is chatting and eating together

Cons

A lot of training is computer based. Alone in a room. With no one actually checking progress or offering help with training. All done by computer programs and interactive games.

2. "Tons of work, not much time"

Pros

Decent company with lots of good people working in the storefront. Management structure at store level was terrible, had no idea how to properly manage their people

Cons

the tasks delegated to the night staff regarding outgoing deliveries during the day were often overbearing.

Often 10-12 deliveries a night had to be picked for delivery at 8 AM. All varying in size and is difficult to accomplish with 1-2 staff in the department.

Little to no work life balance, eats up your entire life.

Advice to Management

Make deliveries a bigger priority during the night. These are often the largest orders going out dollar wise, and too much of the time they were pushed to the side due to numerous issues

3. "Home"

I worked at Home Depot Canada part-time

Pros

Many opportunities to grow and many departments so people of all skill levels can be able to succeed in their roles.

Cons

Not much agreement between the management team on issues. Difficult to get management to allow time off if you are in school whilst working.

4. "Great Staff"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Winnipeg, MB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Winnipeg, MB (Canada)

I have been working at Home Depot Canada part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great staff, good HR, superb supervisor, staff treat each other as family, very encouraging, kind and work hard.

Cons

Heavy lifting of some seasonal products.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

5. "Good & Bad"

Current Employee - Department Supervisor in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Department Supervisor in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Home Depot Canada full-time

Pros

Great benefits, generally good environment, strong on safety, lots of training when you start. There are some wonderful associates and customers. Good culture and values.

Cons

Still a boys club, challenging for females to get ahead. If you change departments as a supervisor you don't get the same training a new associate does. Cutting hours and demanding improved Customer Service is counter productive. 3 week rotation for Department Supervisor does not allow for work life balance and changes are not open to discussion.

Advice to Management

Treat all associates equally, hold accountability equally, and work as a leadership TEAM. Think about the whole store not just your departments. Learn how to mentor associates and Department Supervisors so you have a team built for the future.

6. "Good starter Job"

Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Winnipeg, MB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Winnipeg, MB (Canada)

I have been working at Home Depot Canada (More than a year)

Pros

lots of training and good atmosphere. Learn alot about what you sell. Flexible hours.

Cons

Can be extremely hectic. Need to be able to adapt to situations on the fly.

Advice to Management

Hire more internally. Make sure new associates are working with experienced ones and not by themselves until ready.

7. "Sales associate"

I have been working at Home Depot Canada part-time

Pros

you get Some benefits(50%) when you pass probation when your part time(everyone starts pt). annual reviews for pay raises. flexible hours.

Cons

1. you must start part time. so hours aren't guaranteed and you don't get full benefits.
    2. people who get promoted are the ones who follow the rules with out question. this leads to problems getting anything meaningful changed because managers can get fired of demoted at a pin drop so they don't step out of line even if something is completely wrong.
    3. when someone is promoted they are immediately transfered to another department(as per Home Depot Policy). this means they usually have to start over from scratch in the learning process. Again this makes it hard to get real answers or problems solved. The manager sometimes know less then the associates and some can be pretty egotistic about it.
    4. american company = american ideology/values. they have targets (even though no one is paid commission. you can be written up if you don't meet them as well as fired.
    5. always under staffed when extra staff are needed.
    6. in adequate training for the job.
    7. rolls out new technology but does not provide the infrastructure or training for it. their computers crash a couple times a week.
    8. contract out to incompetent delivery companies, which cause many headaches.

Advice to Management

1. Look for solutions not excuses when an issue is brought up.
    2. people are not expendable. we will for you if we are respected, paid fairly, and given a purpose.

"Flooring/ Specialty Associate"

Former Employee - Flooring/Specialty Associate in Bradford West Gwillimbury, ON (Canada)

I worked at Home Depot Canada (More than a year)

Pros

The staff, management, and especially the customers were great to work with. It was a fun, and positive environment to work in.
    The company provided benefits to both full time, and part-time employees.

Cons

It was next to impossible to gain full time status, yet as a part timer, you were required to work nearly full time hours.
    There was a lot of promise of opportunity and upward growth which was not evident at all.
    There was pressure put on specialty associates to achieve very high sales targets, with no reward.

Advice to Management

Offer permanent roles, and provide monetary bonuses to sales associates who surpass their sales targets. In companies selling comparable products to the ones I sold at Home Depot Canada, I could have more than quadrupled my income, and such is the reason I am no longer an employee.

"Home Depot"

Current Employee - Overnight Freight in Saskatoon, SK (Canada)
    Current Employee - Overnight Freight in Saskatoon, SK (Canada)

Pros

Good place to work, with very good co-workers and they give very flexible hours

Cons

Didn't really see any cons

10. "Cashier Position"

Former Employee - Cashier in London, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Cashier in London, ON (Canada)

I worked at Home Depot Canada part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you needed hours, they would give you almost as many as a full time staff member. They were also really organized, you got your schedule 3 weeks in advance so if you needed to make any changes it was usually pretty easy to.

Cons

They had some weird company policies, and it was annoying because every transaction was scripted. Usually managers were close at hand, which was good if anything went wrong, but meant that you had to stick to the script. I also worked almost every weekend through the summer, and it was hard to get time off. It was also really frustrating because I put a lot of effort into the company, and never called in sick or missed a shift, but when I had to leave to go back to school they told me that it was company policy not to give references, even though they went to the trouble of calling all of mine.

Advice to Management

Give references!!! A lot of my coworkers would call in sick on the weekends to go to the beach, and I never did, and at the end of my time there I definitely felt under appreciated. Also create some sort of rotation in the scheduling so you don't have the same people working the weekends over and over again, because I think I got 2 Sundays off in 4 months, and one of my coworkers only had to come in on the weekend once a month because she never got put on the schedule for the weekends.