Home Group Reviews in Newcastle upon Tyne, England | Glassdoor

Home Group Newcastle upon Tyne Reviews

Updated September 17, 2017

Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

4.1
Home Group Chief Executive Mark Henderson
Mark Henderson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "i enjoy the work i do"

Current Employee - CSM in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)
    Current Employee - CSM in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

I have been working at Home Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

everyday is a challenge, risk assessing , problem solving - being a productive/proactive team to give the best support we can while looking after each other. I leave the office each day feeling like I have achieved good things.

Cons

we restructure regular that can be stressful but I understand restructure is necessary for the company to grow.

Sep 25, 2017 – Resourcing Business Partner

Hi there, thanks for adding your thoughts about working at Home Group. Its great to hear how much satisfaction and feelgood factor you get from what can be a tough job at times!
    Restructuring like... More

2. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Leader in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Leader in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

I have been working at Home Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have worked in contact centres for 22 years and you can often become a number and a statistic. This is definitely not the case with Home Group's customer service centre. From day 1 you feel that you are an individual who can really make a difference to peoples lives including those who may be vulnerable in some way.

There's also real opportunities for progression. I joined as an advisor on the phones and then progressed to Team Leader. I have now progressed to a more senior role and love it. It can be challenging but you get out what you put in.

Work life balance is really promoted. When the working day ends you can switch off. You also get great holiday benefits. You start with 25 days plus bank holidays. This rises by a day for every year up to 30 days. You can also buy a week.

Cons

You can sometimes deal with some difficult customer situations but you will be supported.

Advice to Management

Continue to grow. There seems to be good job security here that you should promote more.

Sep 13, 2017 – Resourcing Business Partner

Thanks for adding your review about working at Home Group. Its great to hear how you have been able to develop and progress your career, and make a difference with the support you received!
    I'm... More

3. "Worst company ever!"

Former Employee - Level II Customer Advisor in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

I worked at Home Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You feel grateful for any job u accept after here.
    The salary.

Cons

The training is absolutely appalling 1 week training on a department then made to take calls with no training on the systems what so ever we had been taking calls for 1 week and then forced onto over ques not having any training on them ques and there Moto was positively talk rubbish.
    There is no support in my 1 month of employment I had no 1:1 about 1 team meeting about screen monitoring.
    This is a company that claims there in it for the service there lying.
    They claim there a not for profit organisation but can't help an old lady with no heating for longer than a month.
    Was telling us all about progression yet people have been there 10 years trying to climb the ladder and can't because of cliques.

Advice to Management

More support, more respect, more training, more floor walkers, less cliques, less talking behind people's backs and finally less discrimination hownding people taking the mick calling them celebrity names that would clearly offend them

Sep 13, 2017 – Resourcing Business Partner

Hi, thanks for adding your insights about working at Home Group. Our Contact Centre has been around for over 6 years now, in that time we have won a huge number of awards on both a local and national... More

4. "Worst company I have ever worked for"

Former Employee - Manager in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Manager in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

I worked at Home Group (More than a year)

Pros

A good group of employees in the IS department who work hard and strive to do the right thing

Cons

Immoral Leadership and Management team in the IS department using underhand tactics to get what they want, ensuring contracts out for tender are favourably offered to certain companies owned and operated by personal friends.
    Consistent restructures just shows how incompetent they are at running a department. There is a big emphasis on living the values, with millions spent on pointless away days, the Leadership team should be setting an example however not one of these actively promotes or lives the values.

Advice to Management

Sack the leadership team and start again, Mark Henderson appears to be completely blind to the fact the department is being run into the ground. There is a high staff turnover due to lack of morale in staff...Happy workers are hard workers! Stop micromanaging and lead by example, then your employees will follow

May 30, 2017 – Resourcing Business Partner

Thank you for your feedback. With regards Procurement we have a strict internal governance process and follow the Public Contract Regulations 2015. Therefore we are absolutely confident about the... More

5. "6 Months in"

Current Employee - Executive Director in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Executive Director in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

I have been working at Home Group (Less than a year)

Pros

After six months at Home Group

- Streamlined recruitment process, two interviews over three days with a decision immediately.
    - Great people and people focussed culture.
    - Genuine social focus and ability to make a real differed.
    - Clear direction and strategy which is talked about and emphasised often.
    - Real thought leader in the sector, it feels like you are at the cutting edge of Housing.

I've enjoyed the first six months and look forward to the next!

Cons

Home Group is a third sector organisation coming from the private sector there is an adjustment of outlook required, we're interested in outcomes not just £notes and for someone not so used to regulation an innovative approach is required to make things happen. These however are both good challenges.

Advice to Management

Senior teams need to continue to be progressive and actively focussed on delivery in order to maintain market leading position and influence.

Mar 13, 2017 – Recruitment Business Partner

Hi, thanks for adding your insights and review about your first 6 months at Home Group. The step change from Private Sector to Third Sector is an interesting one, but like you, I also found it to be... More

6. "Great organisation with strong social purpose"

Current Employee - Communications Manager in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Communications Manager in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

I have been working at Home Group part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Strong values, good ethics. Good work/life balance and genuinely cares about people. Equality and diversity is the best I've ever seen, and people value the differences and strengths in others.

Cons

Because of the size and spread of Home Group, decisions and action can seem to take a bit longer than the private sector...!

Advice to Management

Keep upholding the values and taking accountability for good communication.

Mar 13, 2017 – Recruitment Business Partner

Thanks for adding your review about working at Home Group. I agree that one of the things that makes Home Group a great place to work, is that colleagues are truly valued for what makes them unique... More

7. "Customer Service Adviser Level 2"

Current Employee - Customer Service Adviser Level II in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

I have been working at Home Group (More than a year)

Pros

Brilliant team to work for - local , plenty of opportunities to thrive further a field

Cons

getting holidays is a major issue

Advice to Management

na

Nov 18, 2016 – Resourcing Manager

Hi. Thank you for adding your review about the brilliant team and the opportunities available to you. There are lots of good examples of colleagues progressing their career within Home Group which... More

"Values driven organisation"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

I worked at Home Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Investment in values and culture
    People and management development
    Caring and make a difference to customers and clients

Cons

Challenging sector for funding meaning regular change and restructures

Advice to Management

Keep living the values

Hi

Thanks for adding your review about our great people focused organisation, and the excellent development opportunities that are available to our colleagues.

We do indeed operate in a... More

"Home Group"

Current Employee - Team Leader in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

I have been working at Home Group (More than 3 years)

Pros

Home Group are a social enterprise and charity and as all the work that they do is not for profit, there is a real sense of achieving aims for the good of our customers and clients. Having worked for the benefit of shareholders this makes a big difference.

Home Group live and breathe their key values of Accountable, Caring, Commercial, and Energised, and the Living the values programme ensures that all colleagues understand and appreciate this.

Cons

Home Group has been around for 80 years and has survived in en ever changing environment, politically, culturally and environmentally. Home Group has been able to survive and thrive by continually evolving and adapting to change, however this does means that restructures and change are common themes for the organisation as a whole

Advice to Management

Continued engagement with colleagues is key to ensuring that they feel part of the change and support these rather than block these. Whilst the executive team is strong, lower level mangers don't always live by the same values.

Hi

Its good to read your comments about working at Home Group , and like you I really enjoy working towards that great end goal.

The regular change within the organisation can take some getting... More

"Work hard and you're rewarded"

Current Employee - Work In Supporting Functions in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

I have been working at Home Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Performance related pay
    - Clear direction from management
    - Fun working environment

Home Group is the only place I have worked where I genuinely feel as though senior management have their finger on the pulse and know exactly where the business needs to be. Working hard is acknowledged and financially rewarded in a fair system.

Cons

- Working from home not an option in my particular section

Hi,

Its good to read your insights about our Leadership team and their vision for the organisation. We truly believe that it is important to recognise the hard work being done by our colleagues... More