Home Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Home Group Chief Executive Mark Henderson
Mark Henderson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Fantastic employer"

I have been working at Home Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have worked for homegroup for 4+ years and started straight after leaving uni. I have been part of many services and fantastic teams. Homegroup has helped me grow professionally and personally. I love my job and the company I work for. The support we offer customers and client is fantastic and so rewarding.

Cons

No cons I love my job.

2. "Constant Restructuring"

Former Employee - Housing Manager in North (India)
    Former Employee - Housing Manager in North (India)

I worked at Home Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Competitive pay for the sector, employees (on the ground at least) who really care.

Cons

Organisation makes decisions which result in terrible service to the tenants. It was embarrassing trying to defend such poor service and their catastrophically brutal budget cuts.
    There seems to constantly be a restructure, each one starts just as staff are getting used to new way of working and before anyone has really had a chance to see if it works. I left just over a year ago in the last restructure (voluntarily I might add) and there is already another restructure happening again. This constant uncertainty is not conducive to an emotionally healthy place to work.
    All the perks (flexi time, office hours, every weekend off) went in the last restructure with no pay increase to soften the blow.
    After being there for 10 years employees gradually felt less and less cares about and more of a number of a commodity which can easily be replaced.

Advice to Management

Didn't mean it to sound so negative I can honestly say I enjoyed the overwhelming majority of my time there however I think that was more thanks to good colleagues than anything managers did.
    Maybe trust the staff a bit more, I really felt like they cared and wanted to do right by their tenants but had their hands were tied because of policies and budgets imposed from above.
    And stop restructuring make a plan, stick to a plan.

3. "Do not live up to their core values"

Pros

you get paid and the terms are more than standard

Cons

worked for them and found that they were letting the residents down in so many ways that i was ashamed to work for them

Advice to Management

Listen to your residents, respond and react to crisis

Jul 24, 2017 – Recruitment Business Partner

Thanks for adding your review. At Home Group it’s really important to us that our colleagues receive a fair pay and a great reward package. We know from feedback that our terms are. We take care to... More

4. "Good company"

Former Employee - IT Service Desk Analyst in Gosforth, North East England, England (UK)

I worked at Home Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good support from management and a good working environment.

Cons

Not much training offered and various pay scales for colleagues performing the exact same roles

Advice to Management

Offer training and resolve pay differences.

Jul 27, 2017 – Recruitment Business Partner

Thank you for feedback about working on the Home Group IT Service Desk, we know that the camaraderie and support offered, make it a Great Place to Work.
    We have recently introduced a new approach to... More

5. "A solid, care orientated company with a great mission."

Current Employee - Project Based Support Worker Level II in Norwich, England (UK)

I have been working at Home Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

In short;

CARING - COMMERCIAL - ENERGISED -

"To build homes, independance and aspirations".
    Home Group has wonderful missions from proving affordable, high quality homes for first time buyers or rehabilitating and supporting vulnerable persons with drug and alcohol issues back into society.
     All managers I have met are extremely kind, caring and fair people. I have had no negative experiences with high, mid-tier or lower management. As an example, the company is currently undergoing a restructure. These times are worriful, stressful and unpeasant for many people at risk of losing their jobs. Home Group, like all others lack the ability to make this process painless, however, the communication from higher management all the way down to front line support has been stalwart. Nobody feels in the dark and everyone feels at ease to make their own decisions regarding their future, or not, at this company.
     The hiring process (interview), unfortunately, is point-based. Whilst I fundamentally disagree with this method, the teams I have worked for and with have hired some truly wonderful and inspirational people. If you have a story to tell and a drive to help and inspire through personal care, mental health work, housing experience or a desire to aid the homeless there will be a place for you at Home Group.

Cons

Whilst I have my reservations about my current position (mostly around shift-work and stressful environment on a local level) the company as a whole has a solid outlook.
     You will find 'Cons' to be a little short in Home Group if you are a person with care to give and a story to tell.

Advice to Management

1. Continue to maintain the fantastic communication between Senior Management and Front Line Staff.
    2. When choosing maintenance companies to hire for basic tasks such as plumbing, carpentry, general fixes and more make sure that distance travelled by those companies to all areas is kept to a minimum. There are too many arguments over the phone with the current contract holders about not being able to attend in an emergency or at all.

Jul 11, 2017 – Recruitment Business Partner

Thank you for your review. It's great to hear about your positive experiences of working for us and we are really proud of our mission and goals. With regards your concerns about shifts, please do... More

6. "So far so good"

Current Employee - Project Manager
    Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at Home Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Only new to post, so far so good, very supportive, lots of tech, very open and friendly

Cons

It's over an hour's drive to get there due to Tyne tunnel congestion and roadworks

May 12, 2017 – Recruitment Business Partner

Thanks for adding your review about working at Home Group. Like you we enjoy the supportive environment! As you know we really pride ourselves on being tech savvy, and we're working hard towards... More

7. "just ok..."

Pros

great colleagues

some colleagues get flexi time but it depends what role you have (and whether your manager lets you use ths benefit!)

Cons

The place is trying to improve but management lack direction and a lot of money is wasted

Even though staff are on a pay freeze, the exec team all get a healthy annual increase......just check the annual accounts!

Try and negotiate a high starting salary as it will only increase by pennies (if any) every year

Advice to Management

please stop wasting so much money! you need to set an example, but the expenses claimed by senior staff is astromical

May 17, 2017 – Recruitment Business Partner

Thanks for your feedback. We know our flexi policy is great and we are looking to make this available to even more colleagues.

We are really excited about our new Strategy, focus and direction... More

8. "Worst company I have ever worked for"

Former Employee - Manager in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Manager in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

I worked at Home Group (More than a year)

Pros

A good group of employees in the IS department who work hard and strive to do the right thing

Cons

Immoral Leadership and Management team in the IS department using underhand tactics to get what they want, ensuring contracts out for tender are favourably offered to certain companies owned and operated by personal friends.
    Consistent restructures just shows how incompetent they are at running a department. There is a big emphasis on living the values, with millions spent on pointless away days, the Leadership team should be setting an example however not one of these actively promotes or lives the values.

Advice to Management

Sack the leadership team and start again, Mark Henderson appears to be completely blind to the fact the department is being run into the ground. There is a high staff turnover due to lack of morale in staff...Happy workers are hard workers! Stop micromanaging and lead by example, then your employees will follow

May 30, 2017 – Resourcing Manager

Thank you for your feedback. With regards Procurement we have a strict internal governance process and follow the Public Contract Regulations 2015 therefore we are absolutely confident about the... More

9. "IS service Desk Analyst"

Current Employee - Service Desk in Gosforth, North East England, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Service Desk in Gosforth, North East England, England (UK)

Pros

Learning experience on the job

Cons

Very Busy most of the time

Advice to Management

keep it up

Jun 6, 2017 – Recruitment Business Partner

Hi, thanks for your review and insights. Home Group Colleagues just love sharing their knowledge! We also offer some great formal knowledge building through our Learning and Development Pathways... More

10. "6 Months in"

Current Employee - Executive Director in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Executive Director in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

I have been working at Home Group (Less than a year)

Pros

After six months at Home Group

- Streamlined recruitment process, two interviews over three days with a decision immediately.
    - Great people and people focussed culture.
    - Genuine social focus and ability to make a real differed.
    - Clear direction and strategy which is talked about and emphasised often.
    - Real thought leader in the sector, it feels like you are at the cutting edge of Housing.

I've enjoyed the first six months and look forward to the next!

Cons

Home Group is a third sector organisation coming from the private sector there is an adjustment of outlook required, we're interested in outcomes not just £notes and for someone not so used to regulation an innovative approach is required to make things happen. These however are both good challenges.

Advice to Management

Senior teams need to continue to be progressive and actively focussed on delivery in order to maintain market leading position and influence.

Mar 13, 2017 – Recruitment Business Partner

Hi, thanks for adding your insights and review about your first 6 months at Home Group. The step change from Private Sector to Third Sector is an interesting one, but like you, I also found it to be... More