Home Improvement Leads Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jason Polka

1. "Regional Business Development / Sales"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Austin, TX

I have been working at Home Improvement Leads full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Been here over a year and a half and my counterparts in the sales department have been here 4+ years, 14 months, and 4 months (new guy). We are a tight nit group that encourages one another to grow and get better. The company encourages personal and professional development and is always open to ideas for improvement. The perks are awesome, the people are highly intelligent and thoughtful, and the service we provide has definitive and measurable valuable to our clients.

Cons

You get out of it what you put into it <-- that's true for our employees and our clients. For people who are ok with mediocrity, uncomfortable with change, and are uninterested in constant growth, this isn't the place for you. Unfortunately, a few of the people who have previously written reviews were unideal fits who weren't cut out for this environment because of those reasons.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, folks! I love waking up everyday knowing that I have the privilege to work here.

2. "High turnover rate! The company needs improvement!"

Former Employee - Lead Generator in Mountain Home, AR
    Former Employee - Lead Generator in Mountain Home, AR

I worked at Home Improvement Leads part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work from home, other employees are very supportive and positive. Able to pick up hours as needed as long as you don't go over the allotted amount per week.

Cons

Although you get to work from home, the leads you call on are old and over used. States that we are not cold calling, however these are cold calls. Promises new lists, never received them. Changes pay structure and bonus structure whenever they feel like it. Tapjoy calls are COLD CALLS! If we're going to be cold calling, at least tell us before training.

Advice to Management

Start to care about your employees and don't post private comments meant for individual employees publicly. (Not professional!)

"A+ Management & Austin Tech Company"

Former Employee - Director of Online Marketing in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Director of Online Marketing in Austin, TX

Pros

1. Meritocracy - If you are a hard worker and have great ideas they will be heard and executed on
    2. Hyper-Intelligent Management - One of the best executive groups in Austin
    3. Super-Fun environment
    4. Flex work environment

Cons

Fast paced, if you can't deal with pressure, don't bother

Advice to Management

Provide better skill training to junior employees but other than that keep it up!

5. "Recruiter"

Current Employee - Recruiter in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Austin, TX

I have been working at Home Improvement Leads full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working at Home Improvement Leads has been one of the best experiences I could have asked for. The company is going through so much growth and I have been lucky enough to be a big part of that. The executive and management team is always going to guide you in the right direction and do everything possible to make sure you are a success. I have loved helping great people join this truly great team.

Cons

Parking downtown can be tricky but they do help pay for parking!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!

"Needs a lot of work"

Current Employee - Director of Business Development in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Director of Business Development in Austin, TX

Pros

Flexible hours, easy work, easy part time job.

Cons

Management has some issues understanding the basics of the business.
    They tend to have no real understanding of the systems they use everyday.
    They hold agents responsible for the companies own personal/system issues.
    General incompetence at the management level
    They have trouble issuing paychecks
    Training could use a lot of work

Advice to Management

I would consider a change in structure. Learn more about how to run a call center before running a call center.

"Horrible Place to Work -- Formerly Known As CalFinder"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Austin, TX

Pros

None, None & None (had to fit five words in this box).

Cons

Fake, unqualified leads that are sent to multiple clients, lying to contractors about their lack of success converting said leads, unprofessional work environment (including profanity and harassing employees), shady management, high turnover, rampant cronyism, unsustainable business model, and lack of advancement opportunities. Changed their name from CalFinder to Home Improvement Leads in 2013 to escape trashed online reputation, but it's the same company, same MO.

Advice to Management

Grow a conscience. How these so-called business "professionals" can go to work everyday knowing that they're selling junk to unsuspecting, blue collar contractors is beyond deplorable.

8. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Marketing in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Marketing in Austin, TX

I have been working at Home Improvement Leads full-time

Pros

Lots of opportunity to prove yourself and gain more responsibility, fun work environment, smart people, very data driven.

Cons

The goals always seem to be aggressive, have a knack for hitting them but can be a bit daunting

9. "Great job, cool office, supportive work environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Home Improvement Leads full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love coming to work here everyday. Collaboration between the different departments is encouraged and allows the company to move quickly in executing new ideas. The office is an open floor plan which promotes the open exchange of ideas. Even the CEO and the executives have their desks on the main floor, which makes them very accessible to any questions or ideas anyone has.

The company is growing at an exciting pace. We have monthly forums where everyone can openly discuss the future of the company and what cool new things we have in the pipeline. There are no secret backdoor meetings here, just open communication.

Awesome view of downtown Austin and the capital. Free drinks and snacks in the fully stocked kitchen.

Cons

Parking downtown isn't fun but the company gives a travel stipend to help ease the pain of paying for a a monthly parking spot.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! I'm excited to see where we are in a year from now.

10. "Work hard, play hard, challenge yourself, and grow your career!"

Current Employee - Vice President of Software Engineering in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Vice President of Software Engineering in Austin, TX

I have been working at Home Improvement Leads full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Small but fast growing company that has all the fun and challenges of a start-up without having to answer to VC. None of the hassle or red tape of a big company - executive staff is willing to hear your ideas, try new things, and push employees to achieve excellence. Free snacks, free beer, free lunches, flexible schedules, unlimited time off, and competitive salaries! Hard work and creativity are certainly rewarded here.

Cons

Small company problems - Limited structure / policy in some areas can make for confusing or unguided behavior. Lots of growth = lots of hard work.

Advice to Management

Challenge the status quo! Continue to listen to new ideas, and push people to achieve their own growth and career goals.

11. "Fast-Paced, Challenging, and FUN - Awesome Culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Home Improvement Leads full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Career - Legitimate Opportunity to Contribute, Make a Difference, and Advance

Culture - Casual Work Environment, Team Events & Outings, Happy Hours, Fun Vibe, Downtown Office with Patio Overlooking the Capitol

People - From Executives Down to Entry-Level -- Everyone is Welcoming and Willing to Help

USE YOUR BRAIN - Everyone is challenged to think critically, be innovative and solve problems

Cons

If you are uncomfortable without formal rigid structure or dislike roles where you are managed day-to-day and hour-to-hour then HIL is not for you!