Home Instead Reviews
61% would recommend to a friend
(1952 total reviews)
Gisela de Armas
71% approve of CEO
Top Review Highlights by Sentiment
Excerpts from user reviews, not authored by Glassdoor
- "They have flexible hours and they care about their caregivers and show their appreciation often." (in 156 reviews)
- "Great values and people go the extra mile" (in 122 reviews)
- "Staff friendly and well organized" (in 113 reviews)
- "Good training and oversight given" (in 103 reviews)
- "Love clients and flexible schedules" (in 94 reviews)
- "Low pay and didn’t pay for drive time when driving to multiple locations in a day" (in 325 reviews)
- "On Call all the time; no benefits at the location I worked at; constant stress due to the lack of caregivers and lack of procedures." (in 114 reviews)
- "The management became poor and disorganized" (in 81 reviews)
- "Poor communication and difficulty with scheduling" (in 36 reviews)
- "The salary is low and the long distance driving for short hours." (in 30 reviews)
Ratings by Demographics
This rating reflects the overall rating of Home Instead and is not affected by filters.
Found 1,952 of over 3K reviews
Updated Nov 27, 2023
- Most Recent
- Highest Rating
- Lowest Rating
- 5.0Nov 20, 2023In Home CaregiverCurrent Employee, more than 8 yearsPortland, OR
Supportive management, flexibility with availability, wonderful clients, easy commutes, good salary and benefits.
I wish they gave out more PTO and I wish they had clients in the area I moved to but they don’t have much control over that.
- 5.0Sep 19, 2023Personal Care AideCurrent Employee, more than 1 yearAlbany, NY
Loved my clients, the management, and their main phone receptionists as they really made this job a wholesome experience. I felt like a human at a job for once and like I could come to them with anything and take care of myself while taking care of my clients. There are always shifts you can pick up and you have flexibility if something needs changing. They really want people to be a good fit too and for boundaries to be met so if you are uncomfortable they are the first to tell you to try another home while keeping things confidential for you as to why you’re switching ☺️
Very few cons. Some other employees would clearly have done a bit less cleaning than is my standards so I would do some extra work sometimes, but you would find that at any job honestly. Pay was okay I’m sure it’s gone up.1
- 4.0Jul 31, 2023CareProfessionalFormer Employee, more than 3 yearsSpringfield, IL
*Make your own schedule with ability to change availability each pay period. *Decent pay for the industry. *Good support system in the office. *You know exactly what is expected of you and what to expect at the client's house before you arrive.
*Most of the client shifts are short shifts (3-5 hours) so you must do multiple shifts in a day to achieve a 40 hour work week. *Gas mileage isn't a thing they give unless going over 20 miles, or on call. Even if going to multiple shifts a day. *Given the nature of the work, the consistency of pay can be tough. If a regular client goes into a treatment facility(hospital, rehab, assisted living facility, etc.) you lose hours and pay you rely on, making budgeting difficult. You are able to pick up open shifts, if they are available and will fit with your other existing shifts. *Management is not always transparent when asked questions they don't wish to answer. I've been talked in circles before and had simple things overexplained, but still leaving my question unanswered.2
- 3.0Jun 13, 2023Companion SitterFormer EmployeeLynchburg, VA
The clients are the best part
So many rules that it makes it hard to be human… I had a situation where my client had to put her dog down… the vet called 15 minutes before I was due to leave and told client that the dog had stomach cancer and needed to be put down sooner rather than later….my client understandably was so upset… crying and rocking that little dog… I stayed 15 minutes over my scheduled time to leave… but clocked out on time… the 15 minutes was in my time! We were waiting on her neighbor to come take her and dog to the vet…. I cldnt leave an 80 year old woman sobbing… what was I supposed to do? Say “sorry your upset but I have to leave”…. I could never do that to someone! Needless to say I got in trouble for staying8
- 1.0Nov 27, 2023Caregiver, CNAFormer Employee, more than 8 yearsBurbank, CA
Nice clients and you get to know the family
Pay is sub par, they do not believe in sick time, "just wear a mask!"
- 5.0Nov 12, 2023Care GiverFormer Employee, more than 1 yearOlympia, WA
Home Instead of Olympia, WA was a great place to work. Management and staff truly cared about both their employees and clients.
Agency seamed to be understaffed.
- 3.0Oct 29, 2023Home Health AideFormer Employee, less than 1 yearOakwood, OH
My clients were great , Shift pick up bonus. Always shifts to pick up
very rude and disrespectful care managers
Home Instead Reviews FAQs
Home Instead has an overall rating of 3.5 out of 5, based on over 3,110 reviews left anonymously by employees. 61% of employees would recommend working at Home Instead to a friend and 55% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.
61% of Home Instead employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Home Instead 3.3 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.5 for culture and values and 3.0 for career opportunities.