Home Instead Senior Care CareGiver Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jeff Huber

Pros
Cons
  • Low pay for work that is being performed (in 67 reviews)

• pay is bad no benefits no raises mileage reimbursement is not nearly enough (in 54 reviews)

1. "Love my job!"

Former Employee - Caregiver in Wilmington, NC
    Former Employee - Caregiver in Wilmington, NC

I worked at Home Instead Senior Care full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing office staff
    Flexible schedule
    Helping seniors in need

Cons

Pay
    No benefits
    Getting attached to clients and then them
    Leaving

Advice to Management

Some CGs could have had more training. I would suggest just popping in randomly to different shifts to see what's going on

"Compassionate, caring company"

Current Employee - Lead Caregiver in Grass Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Lead Caregiver in Grass Valley, CA

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Home Instead Senior Care is a wonderful company that is always interested in the care of the clients they serve as well as the caregiver's they hire to serve their clients. They are caring, compassionate and proactive people with a heart for the elderly community. I have been with this company for 2 years and have had nothing but good come out of it! They provide excellent training and support. With opportunity to grow with the company. The entire staff is always friendly and helpful and I love my job!

Cons

We need more caregivers

Advice to Management

Develop a way to connect our clients with each other with activities they can share

3. "CNA"

Former Employee - Senior Caregiver in Kennesaw, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Caregiver in Kennesaw, GA

I worked at Home Instead Senior Care part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The office is very professional and takes care of details for business. Many office staff that get benefits.

Cons

Had trouble with a scheduler taking jobs from me and others to give to her friends. Sometimes left people not covered.
        Caregivers were not recognized for their skill level. All were paid as untrained sitters. Lowest pay in area but charged the client the most.

5. "HomeInstead is a heart warming place to work."

Current Employee - Caregiver in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Caregiver in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Close relationship with my clients.

Cons

It is so heartbreaking when our clients pass away.

6. "Good people, no benefits"

Former Employee - Caregiver in Gainesville, GA
    Former Employee - Caregiver in Gainesville, GA

I worked at Home Instead Senior Care full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed getting to pick and chose my preferred clients and then get to have them on a regular basis. Home Instead does strive to make good matches between their clients and caregivers.

Cons

There are NO benefits offered and it is difficult to avoid private insurance on the salary given. Not recommended for woman with families due to the lack of benefits

Advice to Management

NONE! Vacancies are filled at the Owner's discretion and there is no official advertisement or advisement of office openings.

7. "Great experience"

Current Employee - Caregiver in State College, PA
    Current Employee - Caregiver in State College, PA

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great management. They really care about you.

Cons

Not enough hours. Not enough pay.

Advice to Management

Keep doing a great work.

8. "Senior care"

Current Employee - Caregiver in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Caregiver in Columbia, SC

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Its a good company they share good values and alway try the best for the client.

Cons

It's not a job as a primary check, ill recommended as a secondary or hobby after retirement to keep yourself busy. Not good pay for all the physical work you're going to be doing. Even if you set an available schedule they will try to give you hours you are not available.

9. "caregiver"

Current Employee - Home Health Caregiver in Scranton, PA
    Current Employee - Home Health Caregiver in Scranton, PA

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

you learn a lot fun company

Cons

dont really get the hours you want

Advice to Management

awesome!

""This will be a rewarding job!" But it's not really worth it."

Current Employee - Caregiver in Bowling Green, KY
    Current Employee - Caregiver in Bowling Green, KY

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Helping others, which is a nice rewarding feeling.
    Some clients are wonderful and you make friends.
    Some coworkers are fantastic and nice.

Cons

Passive aggressive coworkers (they treat you poorly after saying "no" to a shift)
    Guilt trips into taking more shifts.
    Hours. You either struggle to get the minimum OR they pile on ridiculous hours.
    Inconsistent hours and schedule (it was always changing and they never called or notified me when they made changes).
    Forget availability sheets, they'll still call you when you ask for certain days off. And if you have an appointment, they'll ask you to reschedule. They also will ask me to pick up shifts outside of my availability.
    They will also ask youto drive outside of the areas you asked to stay in. They also lied to me about how long the trips were.
    The pay is not worth all of the poor treatment from the office and driving.
    Asides from your clients, the multiple calls from the office, and the 3 minutes you see the person taking over a shift- its not very social.
    Clients never know which caregivers are being sent to their homes.
    Some of the clients do not have a binder that we are legally supposed to have.
    Some caregivers are lazy and do not clean or change clients (leaves it for the next shift).

All-in-all, this job isn't really worth it. It's always hiring (I wonder why), the staffing is terrible, hours and pay are not great. Its emotionally draining. After coming out of a shift, most of the time I am drained and tired and also searching for other jobs.

Advice to Management

Make sure clients are being taken care of and they have binders. We (the caregivers) get yelled at because the caregivers were not given binders.
    Staffing- stop being passive aggressive. Stop sighing and using harsh tones when someone says "no" to a shift. And FOLLOW availability sheets.

11. "Very flexible company"

Current Employee - In Home Caregiver in Duanesburg, NY
    Current Employee - In Home Caregiver in Duanesburg, NY

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very flexible hours, opportunities for raise if you work hard and go to meetings. Offers training as well, such as Alzheimer's certification. Office staff are friendly and understanding when you need time off or have questions/problems on the job. 24 hour help if you need to call the office. They will always introduce you personally to your patient when you first start with someone.

Cons

Some clients need more care than you expect going in, and often the office has outdated or little information about patients you going to care for.

Advice to Management

Update information for patients more often, it can get outdated quickly.