Home Instead Senior Care CareGiver Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Jeff Huber

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Extremely low pay for some of the cases you get/ schedule is crazy sometimes (in 79 reviews)

• No benefits offered with this job (in 69 reviews)

1. "Care giver"

Current Employee - Caregiver in Lafayette, LA
    Current Employee - Caregiver in Lafayette, LA

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule ....good staff....good communication

Cons

Low pay...do not like to pay overtime

Advice to Management

Stop trying to cut hours on good employees...you make 40$ Per houron clients it won’t hurt to pay some time and a half on your employees

2. "Wonderful if you seek part time"

Former Employee - Caregiver

I worked at Home Instead Senior Care part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The staff for the particular location I worked for were wonderful, caring, and very attentive. They truly tried to find client/caregiver matches that also went along with the hours I requested I could work.

Cons

If you are seeking a full time(40hr a week) position, you will most likely not come across such hours with the home health industry unless you work overnights, or are willing to work 12 hour shifts. It is nothing at all toward this company, it is just the nature of this industry in general.

3. "There is no better Home Health Care provider than Home Instead"

Former Employee - Senior Live In Caregiver in Springfield, MO
    Former Employee - Senior Live In Caregiver in Springfield, MO

I worked at Home Instead Senior Care full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Chris and Becky do everything possible to take care of their clients and caregivers

Cons

There were never any "cons" working for them

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what you do..Would Love to work with you again should you need me

4. "Senior caregiver"

Current Employee - Senior Caregiver in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Senior Caregiver in Springfield, MO

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very flexible hrs. Nice, helpful office staff

Cons

Low pay. Have to drive a lot of miles

5. "Great Job, Great People, So-So Company"

Current Employee - Caregiver in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Caregiver in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoy working one-on-one with senior citizens in their home. You learn valuable skills such as conflict management, basic CNA skills, and communication. As a bonus, you create a bond with your clients that makes you feel encouraged and appreciated, and helps them feel safe, secure, and supported. Although the pay is low, the schedules are fexible. The scheduling office will work with you to make sure your schedule aligns with your life, schooling, family, 2nd job, etc.

Cons

Considering what the job entails (keeping senior citizens alive, clean, safe, fed, and medicated), there is limited training for the job. I took a week long class that consisted of powerpoint presentations, and quick "run-thrus" of bedbaths and how to use a wheelchair. Luckily, I thought to watch "how-to" videos on youtube, or I would have really been up a creek. Additionally, because the only qualifications needed to become a caregiver are that you must be 21 years old with an insured, functional vehicle, and a high school diploma/GED, the pay is quite low. All caregivers make $8.50/hr on weekdays, and $9.00/hr on the weekends, to start. Caregivers have the potential to earn up to $9.00/hr on weekdays, and $9.50/hr on weekends.

6. "C N A"

Former Employee - Caregiver, CNA in Polk City, FL
    Former Employee - Caregiver, CNA in Polk City, FL

I worked at Home Instead Senior Care full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with the elderly

Cons

There are no cons at this job

Advice to Management

N/a

7. "Caregivers Kind, Management Lacks Taste."

Current Employee - Caregiver (Part-time) in Erie, PA
    Current Employee - Caregiver (Part-time) in Erie, PA

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone that I have ever worked with at Home Instead has been very kind to me and has praised me for doing such a wonderful job at taking care of the clients. Family members have even said what a joy I have been and a blessing to their loved ones. They have told me how much life I bring out in their mother, etc. and how caring I am to them. I take time with each client I work with and pay close attention to their specials needs. It is a very rewarding feeling to be a caregiver, knowing you can give back and seeing the light in a client's eyes brings joy to the heart.

Cons

With Home Instead, I have been patient with the staff. I work another part-time job somewhere else and have made clear to the office what days I work and hours that I am unavailable. Every time something changes with my schedule and I tell the staff, it is not written down or it is forgotten. I patiently have to tell them again, sometimes more than once. Communication has been a problem with office staff and caregivers. They only other con I have is with management, but I won't go there. It is personal preference in taste and how to treat others. I simply mind my own business and treat everyone with kindness.

8. "Okay please to work"

Former Employee - Caregiver

I worked at Home Instead Senior Care (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule
    Great for someone who wants to work independently

Cons

- Insufficient training - I was once put on an assignment with an elderly woman who was a fall risk, incontinent and was at risk for aspiration. She clearly needed a home health nurse, or at least a certified nurse aide. Being none of those at the time, I had no clue what I was doing and should not have been given that assignment.
    - Not an emergency, but one of my clients was told that I would cook for her, which was not one of my skills. I found this out when I arrived on my shift that she expected me to literally cook her dinner from scratch.
    - Not a good place to work if you really need the money. Several times, I was told within a few hours of my shift that the client had cancelled, so I had no work for that day. Other times, family would show up and say they wanted to take the person out (to lunch, shopping, etc), so my shift would end sooner than scheduled.
    - Be aware, that driving will likely be a big part of the job.

Advice to Management

Offer to pay for employee's certified nurse aide course - might be an incentive to get people hired and to keep them on staff.
    Offer to pay people extra if they have to drive in rough weather - this job honestly does not pay enough to cover expenses in case of a serious car accident.

9. "Work was cool, company didn't pay correctly"

Former Employee - Caregiver in Santa Fe, NM
    Former Employee - Caregiver in Santa Fe, NM

I worked at Home Instead Senior Care part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Meeting some folks and taking care of them.

Cons

they said that they were an industry exempt from OT. However, after being employed there, I have learned that is not true.

Advice to Management

Pay people their worth

10. "Professionalism and Personability"

Current Employee - Professional Senor Caregiver in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Professional Senor Caregiver in Denver, CO

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care (More than 3 years)

Pros

Adminstration and Management are dedicated to HISC Mission. High integrity, caring and desire to hire and retain qualified, content employees as they serve clients and their loved ones. Good training and opportunities for developing skill sets and room for advancement. Great venues for employer/employee bonding socially as well as professionally.

Cons

Not really a Con yet Heads-Up to New Employees: Expect Learning Curve in working with Scheduling to obtain "best matches" between clients and you. It often takes awhile for everyone to discover how mutually beneficial Fits can and will result for short and long haul.

Advice to Management

Since joined Team have experienced fine progress in Franchise. Please remain ever-open for innovative improvements to Client Services and Employee Well-Being including nicely tailored "Fits" between Clients and Caregivers! Win/Win!
    Possible room for better compensaton although seems market-friendly.