Home Instead Senior Care Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Jeff Huber

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Extremely low pay for some of the cases you get/ schedule is crazy sometimes (in 72 reviews)

• pay is bad no benefits no raises mileage reimbursement is not nearly enough (in 62 reviews)

"Good place, good pace."

Current Employee - Home Health Aide in Vero Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Home Health Aide in Vero Beach, FL

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You can accept only the shifts you can fit into your schedule. There is a lot of work available once the snow birds arrive so you might get a lot of calls. They like to recognize exceptional caregivers so if you fall into that category be prepared for a lot of praise. The office staff is nice. The receptionist is friendly and makes you feel at home. The pay during the week is 11.00 per hour, but the weekends is 13.00 per hour which is considerably more than other agencies in the area pay. Once every 4 months there is a caregiver meeting and you are compensated for your time with a gift card. If you accept last minute shifts and they are in a pinch they will give you a gas card. That is a very nice perk. Also, at your annual review you get a bonus based on base rate of pay and the hours you worked. It's a formula they have and that too is a very nice perk. Also, when you refer another caregiver and they work at least 50 hours you get a 200.00 bonus.

Cons

Sometimes there are difficult clients and you have to pay attention to what the scheduler tells you or you might walk into a disaster.

Advice to Management

Pay close attention to the caregivers to see if they are complying with the dress code policy. Surprise visits to clients would be good so that you can see if all is well and things are running smoothly. Get a better outreach to the community so that you can get more clients.

2. "Flexible"

Current Employee - Caregiver in Belleville, IL
    Current Employee - Caregiver in Belleville, IL

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Schedule is very flexible and staff is very friendly

Cons

They can only schedule you when clients ask for shifts, sometimes business is slow

3. "Recruiter"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dover, DE
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dover, DE

I worked at Home Instead Senior Care full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Wonderful caregivers and amazing clients and outstanding office staff

Cons

Not enough pay and no benefits

Advice to Management

None

4. "Caregiver"

Current Employee - Caregiver
    Current Employee - Caregiver

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, understanding office, easy to navigate online schedule.

Cons

No gas reimbursements, sometimes the information given about a patient is out-dated or vague. I have been working here for a year and haven't received a raise.

5. "Very supportive management staff, great trainings!"

Former Employee - Caregiver, CNA in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Caregiver, CNA in Portland, OR

I worked at Home Instead Senior Care part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Thorough, hands on training and support done by office staff! They work around your schedule, requesting time off is a breeze. No matter what time of day it is they answer and are very helpful!

Cons

If you don't have reliable transportation it can be challenging considering the travel time needed for some clients. The hours aren't always consistent, and they don't do PTO.

Advice to Management

Company phones could be helpful- they could make access to care plans and support from other staff that much easier.

6. "Feast or famine"

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Love working with clients. And to travel. Very satisfying work. HR manager is very easy to work with unfortunately others not do much.

Cons

Not enough hours or too many. Don't always match with client just looking for body. No one calls back after hours.

7. "Great, but could be better"

Current Employee - Caregiver in El Paso, TX
    Current Employee - Caregiver in El Paso, TX

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care part-time

Pros

Helping the elderly in homes in personally rewarding
    Flexible hours

Cons

Horrible communication within company, specifically between employer and employee
    No guarantee on hours

Advice to Management

Stay in touch with employees-- do not wait 3+ weeks to contact.

8. "Caregiver"

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care part-time

Pros

Getting to help people, rewarding job, very flexible

Cons

the base payment is $9.50

Advice to Management

NA

9. "Caregiver"

Current Employee - Home Health Caregiver in Yuma, AZ
    Current Employee - Home Health Caregiver in Yuma, AZ

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The clients are great. The clients & workers are friendly. coworkers are awesome for the most part. some will go out of the way to help each other out when needed

Cons

The management needs improvement. It would be nice if I didn't have to worry if my check was going to bounce at times. They are willing to work with you & help when needed.

10. "No training"

Former Employee - Caregiver in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Caregiver in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Home Instead Senior Care part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pros were very few. If you have more experience with people & are trained well, you may do better.

Cons

They sent me out to do my 1st assignment and left me basically on my own. I worked on a weekend which means that there there was nobody to confer with about any questions that I had. Plus they had told me that I would basically be doing care such as helping clients groom themselves and cooking. They had said that I would be doing 20% cleaning and it was more like 95% cleaning: cooking, mopping, vacuuming, laundry, linens, ironing. All in all about 16 different tasks to be done!

Advice to Management

Make sure that the employee has enough time to do all the tasks and don't start them out their 1st day without them being prepared. Don't have impossible amounts of tasks to be done. Also, when the client doesn't want us to do the chores what are we supposed to do?