Home Instead Senior Care Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2020

3.5
Home Instead Senior Care CEO Jeff Huber (no image)
Jeff Huber
Pros
  • "I love making a difference in the lives of our CAREGivers(in 109 reviews)

• "Flexible hours with opportunity to show compassion for senior clients while taking some stress off of family members(in 91 reviews)

Cons
  • "The office staff need to get tougher on some of the lazier caregivers out there(in 155 reviews)

• "low pay; you are basically doing CNA work but not getting CNA pay(in 126 reviews)

1. "Great place to work."

Former Employee - Community Outreach Coordinator in Northborough, MA

I worked at Home Instead Senior Care full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The franchise office provided the tools and information to do your best job. Open door policy in a supportive professional office environment. What they could not provide in pay they offered in benefits.

Cons

Industry pay is low. Salary reflective of industry.

2. "Great environment"

Former Employee - Caregiver

I worked at Home Instead Senior Care full-time

Pros

Friendly office staff, flexibility in work schedule

Cons

Low pay and didn’t pay for drive time when driving to multiple locations in a day

"I enjoy meeting and caring for my clients"

Former Employee - Caregiver

I worked at Home Instead Senior Care part-time

Pros

My managers are amazing and the team is nice. most client are nice and friendly

Cons

depends on the availability of the clients, you might not get as much hours as you want

"I enjoy working with people"

Former Employee - Certified Nursing Assistant CNA in Columbus, GA

I worked at Home Instead Senior Care full-time for less than a year

Pros

Making someone's fell better in a day

Cons

I get to attached to me clients

5. "Good for those who like flexible schedules"

Current Employee - Caretaker in Cedarburg, WI

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care part-time for less than a year

Pros

Willing to schedule around your personal schedule, friendly staff, understanding of personal issues that may interfere with work, clients are friendly, willing to train

Cons

Don't seem to remember when an employee has physical limitations, has regulations that are supposed to prevent employees from lifting more than 20 lbs but you end up lifting way more anyway, poor communication between the staff introducing you to clients and those in the office, forgets scheduling limitations, will sometimes have you doing things that are not in your job description

Continue reading

"Great as a whole, but individual franchise environments can vary dramatically"

Current Employee - Recruitment and Engagement Coordinator in Waco, TX

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care full-time for less than a year

Pros

Decent pay for the role. Great overall culture with Home Instead. The home office sounds like they genuinely care about seniors and their employees.

Cons

Individual offices can have culture issues. Every location is different. Also very little room for growth within most franchise offices.

7. "Not the best"

Former Employee - Caregiver in Mesa, AZ

I worked at Home Instead Senior Care part-time for less than a year

Pros

The schedule was pretty flexible and the clients were kind for the most part.

Cons

The schedulers would call daily to ask you to take a shift that was 2-4 hours long even though your schedule was blocked out saying you could not work. A few of the schedulers were very rude when you would deny the shift. I called in sick once and the lady about ripped my head off. Working with elderly, I was not about to show up to their house with a severe cold and get them sick and risk their well being for a few dollars. The pay was hardly anything and you were the client's house cleaner for the most part. Some of the clients were very nice and did not ask for me to clean their house top to bottom, whereas some other clients were using the services specifically for cleaning their house and they did not want you to even talk to them. It was a weird environment to be in.

"Not so Christian Based"

Former Employee - Home Health Caregiver

I worked at Home Instead Senior Care full-time

Pros

You get to tell them what hours you and cannot work. You get to work in the home of your clients so there is no need to have to go into the office every day of tour shift. You gain a friendship with your clients long term.

Cons

The management is the CON. They are extremely disrespectful at times and for it to happen a Christian based company they are not very good at showing that. They will show you the “Christian” side during the hiring process but it is not who they truly are. I do not know how many times management has actually raised their voice to me or caught an attitude with me over something that was not even worrisome. Most leave because management is hopelessly disorganized as the home office has many people who seem to just do their own thing. On days off you will constantly get messages and emails asking you to take shifts, so even in your downtime you're not left alone. And if you deny those shifts they will call you and ask “why?” EVEN IF IT IS YOUR DAY OFF. They are extremely rude at times and I am so sorry to that I do not think I could ever recommend this job to anyone. There are some management there that is true to their word and very kind but unfortunately those are the ones that you will never really talk to or get transferred to. Communication is very important and that is something that they lack on! I do not know how many times I have come into work and found out my client was hospitalized or that they didn’t need me that day... I never received any information about it from my case manager or anything. It is very very disappointing.

9. "Good and bad"

Current Employee - Caregiver in Tolland, CT

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care full-time for less than a year

Pros

Clients are amazing Added pay to hourly When they are desperate.

Cons

Over worked Under worked Not constant hours Office scheduler is awful Constant txt and calls Low pay No travel pay Make you work past shift

Continue reading
  10. "Love my team! Like my family!"

Current Employee - Office Coordinator in Saint Joseph, MO

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexibility, Incentives, Great Co-Workers, Training

Cons

Nothing negative really, wish my office offered benefits!

Found 1508 reviews