Home Instead Senior Care Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Jeff Huber

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Extremely low pay for some of the cases you get/ schedule is crazy sometimes (in 73 reviews)

• pay is bad no benefits no raises mileage reimbursement is not nearly enough (in 60 reviews)

1. "Management the problem"

I worked at Home Instead Senior Care part-time

Pros

Clients are the BEST part!

Cons

Owner not involved
    Staff "bullies " caregivers to take shifts
    Not consistent with pay rates

Advice to Management

Be involved and HONEST

"Home Health Agency"

Pros

Very hard working staff (caregivers); there were some nice people in the main office but some 'baddies' took over.

Cons

Many...bad training...intimidating new office personnel

Advice to Management

Bad tempered managers...do not admit to your mistakes and I went where I was not needed (and vice versa) did not show up due to scheduling errors. I was screamed at and blamed for it.

"Bullies"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Helping families in a stressful time for them. Making them feel at ease that we are here to take the burden off their shoulders

Cons

Last 2 years everyone has quit except the 2 managers that created a hostile environment for everyone. Cussing at employees and then been told to not speak to anyone and know one us allowed to leave their desk. No hellos or good mornings..nothing. managers constantly tried to pin employees against each other.

Advice to Management

Well for starters fire each one of them. This is no place any person should have to endure. Corporate should have mandatory seminars on how to treat employees and also have each employee fill out an anonymous questionnaire on how the office is running. Good people walked out of the company and great people quit. All that remains are the 3 mean girls that created this environment. That should make corporate at the least figure out that there is something going on. It's sad to think this stuff still goes on. They should be ashamed of themselves for how they treated human beings.

4. "Bad management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orange Park, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orange Park, FL

I worked at Home Instead Senior Care full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fexible hours, nice clients, wonderful services for seniors

Cons

Bad management, no communication, changes made without notification, low pay, no raises, no benefits, horrible management, high employee turn over

Advice to Management

Better Communication, consistency with schedules, when making changes communicate
    Make the office more approachable

"Do not work for this group!"

Current Employee - Caregiver in Olympia, WA
    Current Employee - Caregiver in Olympia, WA

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Honestly there is nothing I can say positive about this local company. I am sure other chapters must be better.

Cons

Working for these women was a terrible joke. I thought other private care companies were bad. This one takes the cake.They are only concerned with making money not taking care of the clients.

Advice to Management

The Group in Olympia need to understand proper customer service. They were truly only concerned with their pocketbooks. It was a shame. I make sure to let everyone know that this is not the place to go for quality care.

6. "Raleigh Location is an insult to the Home Instead Brand!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care part-time

Pros

Great Clients! Those needing the service are a joy to work with!

Cons

Home Instead Raleigh, NC: The caregivers the company employs are caring and compassionate. However, the pay the caregivers receive is reprehensible for what they are being asked to do; doesn't cover wear and tear on car/mileage. (Lowest paying community assistance company in town!) This is why they hire 'around the clock' or weekly; caregivers come and go. Staff is not organized, unattentive and disrespectful to the caregivers post training. They advertise 'paid training,' it's pennies for training, and you don't see that money for close to 2 months post training (they know that most newbies will have quit by then, not seeing the training pay). The Raleigh, NC location is an insult to the Home Instead Brand and the core values of the company!! Would not recommend working for this location!!

Advice to Management

Get it together! You claim to be a company with Christian Values, yet you treat and utilize your caregivers as if they have no value: slave labor!!

"Hard to work with"

Current Employee - Caregiver in Eugene, OR
    Current Employee - Caregiver in Eugene, OR

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Helping elderly folks and listening to their stories

Cons

Pretty much everything.
    Low pay, bad staff communication and training.
    It it's impossible to stay in contact with the office. They rarely call back and usually take no responsibility for mistakes or miscommunication.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees better and treat them with respect.

"Completely terrible"

Pros

The only pros are the friendships and connections you make with the clients. This job is only rewarding because you're able to help the elderly.

Cons

So many cons.
    Low pay- caregivers are only paid $8 an hour (if you're part time, OR if you're full time but do not work weekends) and $9 an hour. You do have some opportunity to increase your pay.
    From the listed salaries on here, Staffing coordinators are paid more than caregivers. And from my experience they try their hardest to get caregivers to go so they won't have to.
    The responsibilities and amount of work, plus the distances you drive is NOT worth the money.
    Scheduling is a nightmare. You will always be contacted, every day, and asked to pick up shifts. They'll call on your requested days off and during times where you specifically said you are not available. I work before and after my times of availability.
    They'll ask you to go work outside of counties or areas that you don't want to work. (If you only want to work in Bowling Green, they'll send you out to Scottsville or Frankfort).
    You either are under hours or they'll overbook you.
    Office staffing are rude. They are childish and throw fits.
    They take advantage of caregivers.

Advice to Management

This company is terrible.

"Horrible Place"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sycamore, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sycamore, IL

I worked at Home Instead Senior Care part-time

Pros

They pay good gas money. I got a $200 check 2 months after I quit for gas I forgot I was supposed to be reimbursed for.

Cons

Literally everything. Multiple clients were sexually inappropriate to the point of hands on harassment and management wouldn't even talk to the patient to correct the behavior. Deplorable in every way.

Advice to Management

Don't let young women work here!

10. "Care GIver"

Former Employee - Care Giver in Athens, GA
    Former Employee - Care Giver in Athens, GA

I worked at Home Instead Senior Care part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Getting paid to do simple tasks but also knowing that you did something positive for another person.

Cons

Georgia is an employment at will state and yet they took $60 from my last check because I did not provide 2 weeks notice

Advice to Management

Maybe mention your fees in the orientation that you charge to work for ya'll.