Home Instead Senior Care Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated January 1, 2018

Jeff Huber

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Extremely low pay for some of the cases you get/ schedule is crazy sometimes (in 79 reviews)

• No benefits offered with this job (in 69 reviews)

1. "Great Job, Great People, So-So Company"

Current Employee - Caregiver in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Caregiver in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoy working one-on-one with senior citizens in their home. You learn valuable skills such as conflict management, basic CNA skills, and communication. As a bonus, you create a bond with your clients that makes you feel encouraged and appreciated, and helps them feel safe, secure, and supported. Although the pay is low, the schedules are fexible. The scheduling office will work with you to make sure your schedule aligns with your life, schooling, family, 2nd job, etc.

Cons

Considering what the job entails (keeping senior citizens alive, clean, safe, fed, and medicated), there is limited training for the job. I took a week long class that consisted of powerpoint presentations, and quick "run-thrus" of bedbaths and how to use a wheelchair. Luckily, I thought to watch "how-to" videos on youtube, or I would have really been up a creek. Additionally, because the only qualifications needed to become a caregiver are that you must be 21 years old with an insured, functional vehicle, and a high school diploma/GED, the pay is quite low. All caregivers make $8.50/hr on weekdays, and $9.00/hr on the weekends, to start. Caregivers have the potential to earn up to $9.00/hr on weekdays, and $9.50/hr on weekends.

2. "Caregiver"

I worked at Home Instead Senior Care part-time

Pros

Got to help elderly individuals who could not perform Activities of Daily Living for themselves.

Cons

The pay is very low.

Advice to Management

Bump up the pay for caregivers.

3. "Caregivers Kind, Management Lacks Taste."

Current Employee - Caregiver (Part-time) in Erie, PA
    Current Employee - Caregiver (Part-time) in Erie, PA

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone that I have ever worked with at Home Instead has been very kind to me and has praised me for doing such a wonderful job at taking care of the clients. Family members have even said what a joy I have been and a blessing to their loved ones. They have told me how much life I bring out in their mother, etc. and how caring I am to them. I take time with each client I work with and pay close attention to their specials needs. It is a very rewarding feeling to be a caregiver, knowing you can give back and seeing the light in a client's eyes brings joy to the heart.

Cons

With Home Instead, I have been patient with the staff. I work another part-time job somewhere else and have made clear to the office what days I work and hours that I am unavailable. Every time something changes with my schedule and I tell the staff, it is not written down or it is forgotten. I patiently have to tell them again, sometimes more than once. Communication has been a problem with office staff and caregivers. They only other con I have is with management, but I won't go there. It is personal preference in taste and how to treat others. I simply mind my own business and treat everyone with kindness.

4. "Okay please to work"

Former Employee - Caregiver
    Former Employee - Caregiver

I worked at Home Instead Senior Care (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule
    Great for someone who wants to work independently

Cons

- Insufficient training - I was once put on an assignment with an elderly woman who was a fall risk, incontinent and was at risk for aspiration. She clearly needed a home health nurse, or at least a certified nurse aide. Being none of those at the time, I had no clue what I was doing and should not have been given that assignment.
    - Not an emergency, but one of my clients was told that I would cook for her, which was not one of my skills. I found this out when I arrived on my shift that she expected me to literally cook her dinner from scratch.
    - Not a good place to work if you really need the money. Several times, I was told within a few hours of my shift that the client had cancelled, so I had no work for that day. Other times, family would show up and say they wanted to take the person out (to lunch, shopping, etc), so my shift would end sooner than scheduled.
    - Be aware, that driving will likely be a big part of the job.

Advice to Management

Offer to pay for employee's certified nurse aide course - might be an incentive to get people hired and to keep them on staff.
    Offer to pay people extra if they have to drive in rough weather - this job honestly does not pay enough to cover expenses in case of a serious car accident.

5. "Work was cool, company didn't pay correctly"

Former Employee - Caregiver in Santa Fe, NM
    Former Employee - Caregiver in Santa Fe, NM

I worked at Home Instead Senior Care part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Meeting some folks and taking care of them.

Cons

they said that they were an industry exempt from OT. However, after being employed there, I have learned that is not true.

Advice to Management

Pay people their worth

6. "Low pay and training, but meaningful work."

Former Employee - Home Health Caregiver in Corpus Christi, TX
    Former Employee - Home Health Caregiver in Corpus Christi, TX

I worked at Home Instead Senior Care full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The work is meaningful. It is fairly easy to get a job here. Little oversight.

Cons

Very little training and pay is low.

Advice to Management

Train employees better, increase pay.

"Great part-time opportunity"

Current Employee - Caregiver/Companion in Newton, IA
    Current Employee - Caregiver/Companion in Newton, IA

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The clientele, are generally friendly & appreciative; we’re given some schedule flexibility, mileage stipend for significant travel distances (if applicable)

Cons

Employment wage is slightly higher than minimum wage and less than half of what clients are billed for provided services; communication among coworkers & management is minimal at best, and training opportunities are few & far between.

"Not the best but it will do"

Former Employee - Home Health Caregiver in Tappahannock, VA
    Former Employee - Home Health Caregiver in Tappahannock, VA

I worked at Home Instead Senior Care part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility of hours, autonomy, can't think of anything else

Cons

Low pay, short shifts, driving your own vehicle, last minute shifts, they call and text your phone all day asking you to take shifts that don't match to your availability

Advice to Management

More organization, stop accepting 3 hour shift cases far away from the service area, make sur clients know that they need gloves/cleaning supplies in their homes

"CNA/Caregiver"

Current Employee - Caregiver in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Caregiver in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The client's and co workers and direct deposit

Cons

Not enough pay no benefits or PTO time for the hard work we do

Advice to Management

Pay your employees more a caregiver job is very hard work it's stressful and physically hard work offer benefits and PTO time sick time be more understanding when your employees have a family emergency or when the employee is very sick and can't come to work if you would pay more you could hire more people it's like a revolving door people come and go because they cannot financially afford to work for the pay they get and with no benefits

"Care giver"

Current Employee - Care Giver in Naperville, IL
    Current Employee - Care Giver in Naperville, IL

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Staff will work with if you need flexible hours.

Cons

Pay is too low. Many of the patients live a far distance from home location. I don't think they do a thorough assessment of their clientele and often I have been sent to work with someone who has significant mental illness, without knowing before hand.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your employees for the hard work they do and pay them more. Be more thorough in client assessments and thorough in preparing the care giver. Offer more training. Have regular meetings to discuss care management of individual clients.