Home Instead Senior Care Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jeff Huber

Pros
Cons
  • Low pay for work that is being performed (in 67 reviews)

• pay is bad no benefits no raises mileage reimbursement is not nearly enough (in 54 reviews)

1. "Very sad indeed...."

Former Employee - Caregiver in Waukesha, WI
    Former Employee - Caregiver in Waukesha, WI

Pros

Love working with senior citizens

Cons

VERY disorganized....very little pay....Just a pay check for them

Advice to Management

Take better care of your employees and they will stay with you. People who choose to work with the elderly do it because they are caring and in order to get compassionate caring people you need to up the pay scale.

2. "After several years with this company, the recommendation is to go elsewhere"

Former Employee - Caregiver in Cary, IL
    Former Employee - Caregiver in Cary, IL

Pros

If you care about working with the elderly and don't need any income then this is the ONLY reason to work here and this is what it will be, a very low wage and NO benefits

Cons

Was promised regular pay raises when hired and this never happened, when this was brought up in a meeting they denied they ever said this
    Company makes promises and said things to get elderly and their family to sign up service that were false and its all very sad to loose caring for them and seeing them mad and sad when they go get another company
    Was told this job was flexible for your schedule but it really wasn't and if they called you for a job and you said no you couldnt then you could be fired and many caregivers had t this happen
    There was hardly any training
    Really hard office staff to work with andd when problems or changes for elderly came up it was the worst and very hard to watch how the seniors were treated
    Was told no lifting more than 20-25 pounds but they demanded caregivers to lift bigger persons out of bed and chair and much more weight
    Lots of caregivers started and quit
    Elderly always hated office staffwas always switching caregivers to other cases
    Company doesnt want any unions and not open to any ideas to help their staff do better jobs
    Everything was always about money with this company

Advice to Management

Start trying to really care about seniors and staff and pay your caregivers better and dont tell or have your staff say things are one way and then switch it later to whatever you want it to be as this really is not good business. Wheres the honesty? Now working for a competitor that truly cares, pays much better with raises and benefits and is honest and both myself and the seniors are much happier

3. "Definately had their favorite caregivers and did not divide the hours fairly."

Current Employee - Caregiver in Bettendorf, IA
    Current Employee - Caregiver in Bettendorf, IA

Pros

The clients were wonderful and the only reason to go to work!

Cons

Management was not involved with ALL caregivers and did not keep caregivers informed as to what was going on. Schedules were often mixed up and messages were often not forwarded or received.

Advice to Management

What's the point! At meetings, they spot to some and not to others. Obvious that that they favored some over others.

5. "It was a great place to work until they got new management in their Human Resources."

Former Employee - Caregiver/Home Health Aide in Bradenton, FL
    Former Employee - Caregiver/Home Health Aide in Bradenton, FL

Pros

I enjoyed working with my patients and they enjoyed me. I also liked the hours when I was getting them constantly with out having to call and ask if they had work for me.

Cons

When they hired in new management and the owner was not handling the employees like she should've. And I constantly had to tell them that I couldn't work certain hours and they still called me to work them and if I didn't except the assignment then they would get very upset at me and use against later down the road. I would never recommend another person to work for them no matter how desperate they were for a job especially dealing with Sarah Otto and Lisa the owner.

Advice to Management

Need to know how to run a business better then what they do.

"they tell lies and a practice of dishonesty on a major degree."

Current Employee - Caregiver in Olympia, WA
    Current Employee - Caregiver in Olympia, WA

Pros

Working with some amazing seniors. Learning so much from their stories and life experiences. Just having the opportunity to give back something in return for their contribution to society gives me total fulfillment. Just knowing while you are there to care for them even though for a short time they will recieve the best care possible from you. I'm grateful!

Cons

My office in Olympia Wa. pulls you in with such a wonderful speech. When you have given the company all of you and for a REWARD they give your clients and hours to the new hires. When you have earned your PTO time after a year they find a BOGUS reason to not pay you. The managment in this office is very decietful in their tactics to make sure you get NOTHING for your hard work . It is DISGUSTING to treat your employees this way.

Advice to Management

To review each office annually and review employees files of those who have been denied PTO. DO NOT JUST BELIEVE THE STAFF/OWNERS AUTOMATICLLY! Set policy for people with seniority that they get more hours, if desired then the new hires. If an employee stays with this Company for a year or more they deserve something. The pay is lousy and no Benefits at all constitutes Major Turnover as I'm sure you well know. The CAREGIVERS are the REASON YOU HAVE A FRANCHISE AT ALL.

"Overworked and underpaid"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

Pros

You can pick your own hours.

Cons

Not recognized for jobs well done

Advice to Management

Don't overwork and under pay your Care Givers!

"I was mislead and hardly made any money."

Former Employee - Caregiver in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Caregiver in Virginia Beach, VA

Pros

Flexible hours
    Easy to Get A Job

Cons

No mention during the interview/ orientation of cost to me for training class and that it was required. Three days to attend the class and no pay. Lousy hours and the gas used for distance travelled ate up half my pay. I was told if I had great availability I could get 40 to 50 hours a week. I ended up working 7 days a week for a month and half but only average 20 hours a week. After I found a full-time on my own with a senior couple, I was required to pay the company the $250 cost for training class even though they didnt give me the employment promised. They also asked me to shredd all my informational papers from class which I paid for. After doing a background check on me, they had the gall to ask me to send them a money order or cerfified check to pay for this training class. I was trustworthy to enter their client's home but they couldnt trust me that I wouldnt send them a bounced check.

Advice to Management

When you hiring new employees, they should be given a contract and fully be informed of this training class fee and the fact that it is required. Communication!!!!! Communication is the Key to Success!!!

9. "Not worth the effort"

Former Employee - Caregiver in New Albany, IN
    Former Employee - Caregiver in New Albany, IN

I worked at Home Instead Senior Care part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Getting to know your client and knowing they are being taken care of correctly is awesome. Making your own schedule is pretty good, too. If you get lost getting to a client, call the office and they will help you out with directions while letting the client know you're on the way.

Cons

The pay is horrible. A 24 hour shift gets you paid $144. That means $6 per hour!!! Not only do you have to deal with constant calls about taking more shifts or other shifts being cancelled, but you have to remember you can say no. Being sent to a home with two clients and only getting paid for taking care of one is just not fair. This is non medical care, but you are basically doing CNA work with no certification and half the pay!

Advice to Management

PAY CAREGivers what they earn. We work our butts off and don't get the deserved pay.

"Not a good company to work for."

Former Employee - Care Giver in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Care Giver in Louisville, KY

I worked at Home Instead Senior Care full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The best thing a person can get from working at Home Instead would be working with and helping the elderly. It is fun and rewarding work.

Cons

pay is extremely low for the work performed, company state that they are for the workers, but actions seems deceptive. No job stability there and high turn over rates.

Advice to Management

Consider who does most of the work for your company and help them when they need help from you.

"The pay is not worth it."

Current Employee - Caregiver in Bakersfield, CA
    Current Employee - Caregiver in Bakersfield, CA

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The only good things I have to say is when I'm not working.

Cons

The Pay is awful. Only $110 a day for a 24hr shift. Dealing with the client that I deal with is not worth it