Home Instead Senior Care Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Jeff Huber

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Extremely low pay for some of the cases you get/ schedule is crazy sometimes (in 79 reviews)

• No benefits offered with this job (in 69 reviews)

1. "Senior Care"

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care part-time

Pros

Home Instead really cares about their employees. They do not send us blindly into a strangers home when we get a new client. A specialist will visit the client first to evaluate their needs. Then, if accepting that client they match up the best Home Health Aide to that client. On the first visit to their home the specialist will be there to introduce you to make sure that you are comfortable with your required duties.

Cons

We are required to do everything for clients in need. Help with all daily living needs; showering, incontinence, transfer from bed to wheelchair, laundry, meals, light housekeeping, errands, doctor appts., empty folies, etc. I feel that we should be paid a lot more than we are.

Advice to Management

Try to increase the pay for this work. A lot is expected from us and we have a huge responsibility.

2. "Home Instead Senior Care Lead CAREGiver"

Current Employee - Lead Caregiver in Springfield, OH
    Current Employee - Lead Caregiver in Springfield, OH

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have met so many wonderful people through Home Instead Senior Care. My background was in early childhood education. Through this company, I have found a new love with seniors.
    The management is always supportive, caring and kind. No question or concern is ever to small or insignificant. The door is always open.
    I have found a level of compassion for elders that I didn't know I had.
    Each client is new and interesting. The office staff is behind each employee 100%.
    The hardest part of the job is losing an elder. But it is also very comforting to know that they have gone on to a better place.
    The most enjoyable part of this job with Home Instead Senior Care is the camaraderie of fellow CAREGivers and the management. I have met the most interesting elders. Each one is unique and has such a story to tell!
    I wouldn't work any place else!

Cons

None that I know of

Advice to Management

Keep up the Great Work

3. "Great Job"

Former Employee - Caretaker in Yorktown, NY
    Former Employee - Caretaker in Yorktown, NY

I worked at Home Instead Senior Care part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Management was very caring and compassionate about employees and clients.

Cons

I wish there would have been more training.

Advice to Management

To offer more training to employees, which will in turn help to benefit clients.

4. "Als Arbeitnehmer Vollkommen ausgenutzt."

Former Employee - Betreuungskraft in Pirna (Germany)
    Former Employee - Betreuungskraft in Pirna (Germany)

I worked at Home Instead Senior Care (More than a year)

Pros

Die Hilfe für pflegebedürftige Personen.

Cons

Als Mitarbeiter wird man total ausgenutzt. Mindestlohn, Fahrzeit nur nach Google Maps und nicht nach tatsächlicher Zeit bezahlt, Fahrzeit nur mit gesetzlichem Mindestlohn bezahlt. Keine Firmenfahrzeuge, bzw. 1 Fahrzeug für 40 Betreuungskräfte. Keine Firmenhandys. Also alles mit privatem Fahrzeug oder Handy. Willkürliche Wegnahme von Kunden ohne Begründung.

Advice to Management

Nicht nur auf den eigenen Profit sehen. Begriefen, dass die Betreuungskräfte das "Geld" verdienen. Klare Struktur, wer eigentlich der Chef ist.

5. "Fulfilling work!"

Current Employee - Staff RN in Annandale, VA
    Current Employee - Staff RN in Annandale, VA

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I have worked for Home Instead Senior Care’s Annandale location for over 9 years as their Nurse supervisor. I have never worked with a more caring, committed or professional group of people! The home aides, companions, and support staff are phenomenal and really care about the Seniors they help.

Cons

If you work in healthcare, you don’t make the big bucks! The rewards are in the appreciation we receive from our Seniors and their families.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

6. "one of the compinies that play by the rules"

Current Employee - CHHA in Somerset, NJ
    Current Employee - CHHA in Somerset, NJ

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

they keep you in the know
    they operate professionally

Cons

they could be more tuned into you

7. "Care giver"

I worked at Home Instead Senior Care part-time

Pros

Loved the clients I worked with

Cons

Clients was not pleased with home instead an I was fired but was called a liar when I went to pick up my last pay check an they lost a couple of clients when they fired me
    Pay was extremely low
    I was told I was on the schedual to work to days I wasn’t available an my job got threatened when I told them I couldn’t work an office management was always calling me up compaining at me an I got text messages to call ASAP so I would run arrands an call back then got yelled at that I called when I was driving an got acused of calling the office around the client they wasn’t interested in the employees

Advice to Management

Change how u treat ur employees respect is a go way street need to pay more an be willing to pay overtime give more training thank god I had training before I came to work for u listen to ur employees and if hours are not flexible then don’t say they are need to learn honesty

8. "Caregiver"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Ridgeville, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Ridgeville, OH

I worked at Home Instead Senior Care full-time

Pros

Pick your own hours
    Great management
    No experience required

Cons

You start off with minimum wage
    Benefits

Advice to Management

N/A

9. "Care giver"

Current Employee - Caregiver in Lafayette, LA
    Current Employee - Caregiver in Lafayette, LA

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule ....good staff....good communication

Cons

Low pay...do not like to pay overtime

Advice to Management

Stop trying to cut hours on good employees...you make 40$ Per houron clients it won’t hurt to pay some time and a half on your employees

10. "Great Job, Great People, So-So Company"

Current Employee - Caregiver in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Caregiver in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoy working one-on-one with senior citizens in their home. You learn valuable skills such as conflict management, basic CNA skills, and communication. As a bonus, you create a bond with your clients that makes you feel encouraged and appreciated, and helps them feel safe, secure, and supported. Although the pay is low, the schedules are fexible. The scheduling office will work with you to make sure your schedule aligns with your life, schooling, family, 2nd job, etc.

Cons

Considering what the job entails (keeping senior citizens alive, clean, safe, fed, and medicated), there is limited training for the job. I took a week long class that consisted of powerpoint presentations, and quick "run-thrus" of bedbaths and how to use a wheelchair. Luckily, I thought to watch "how-to" videos on youtube, or I would have really been up a creek. Additionally, because the only qualifications needed to become a caregiver are that you must be 21 years old with an insured, functional vehicle, and a high school diploma/GED, the pay is quite low. All caregivers make $8.50/hr on weekdays, and $9.00/hr on the weekends, to start. Caregivers have the potential to earn up to $9.00/hr on weekdays, and $9.50/hr on weekends.