Home Instead Senior Care Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated August 15, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Extremely low pay for some of the cases you get/ schedule is crazy sometimes (in 73 reviews)

• pay is bad no benefits no raises mileage reimbursement is not nearly enough (in 60 reviews)

1. "Overall enjoyed it"

Former Employee - Caregiver in Lubbock, TX
    Former Employee - Caregiver in Lubbock, TX

I worked at Home Instead Senior Care part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very meaningful work, flexible schedule, and friendly management

Cons

Frequently on call to pick up shifts

2. "I love love love my job!"

Current Employee - Caregiver in Asheville, NC
    Current Employee - Caregiver in Asheville, NC

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, if you are willing to work YOU WILL GET HOURS. Starting off I picked up any shift they asked me to work and now I have the convenience of never having to worry about hours. If you show them you're reliable they will call you first for open shifts.

This is the best job I've ever had.

Cons

Pay could be better, working privately as a caregiver is much more lucrative but more work. So it kinda balances itself out.

"not all is as it seems"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

you can work about as many hours and you can stand

Cons

they will call you all hours of the day and night - including while you are with a client - do not support their cg's although they claim to - management drives off older, more experienced office staff in preference for very young staff

they will hire any warm body that comes through the door to "make numbers" - they end up quitting leaving clients without help

Advice to Management

stop discriminating against older staff

4. "Care Giver"

Pros

Alright company, hours are flexible

Cons

Pay could be higher, minimum wage

5. "Caregiver"

Pros

Always overtime to pick up, down time on the job, get a raise every year at your review meeting, VERY good about time off

Cons

Never know what you are walking into when you go to a certain house. Office staff can be lax sometimes too lax

"Ask a caregiver before applying, this place is terrible. Scam."

Current Employee - Caregiver in Bowling Green, KY
    Current Employee - Caregiver in Bowling Green, KY

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Helping someone and gaining friendships is rewarding. Also talking with some coworkers is nice and sometimes the only social interaction you have.

Cons

If you really want to know what its like working for this company, ask a caregiver. I guarantee they will tell you how terrible it is.
    Difficult clients are easy compared to how terrible the office is.
    They constantly call and text at odd hours. They call every caregiver to pick up shifts just so they won't have to. They don't want to leave the office, even when its to gather papers or check on clients.
    They're unorganized. You or a client will tell them that you're unavailable during a certain time or you have to have a certain day off, and no one in the office will be informed or know. No one tells anyone anything or makes notes.
    They will send sick caregivers to clients homes. They do not inform caregivers of clients houses situations (if they have cockroaches. They even lied to new caregivers and did not tell them about a client who had bedbugs).
    The office workers are inconsiderate of the health or personal being of their caregivers. You could be in the hospital or sick, and they call you to pick up shifts.
    If you are on disability, have school or a second job, or a strict available, they will ask you to work way more than you're able. They call during school or work.
    If you do not answer their calls or messages, they call the clients houses, which is unprofessional.
    They have even humiliated their clients.
    They give you raises every year you work for them, but its only 10 cents.
    They are inconsiderate of your health, time, and availability.
    Expect car problems.
    Expect to be sent or tricked to go outside of where you told them you would work.
    You get paid twice a month on specific dates.
    You're expected to give them 3 months in advance for vacations and 2 weeks in advance if you have to schedule a day off, but they spring things up on you 1 week in advance or the day before or even hour before.
    Even though they want two weeks in advance, they come out with schedules every Friday. So you can't really plan much.
    "You get to pick your hours" is a lie. When I first told them I wanted to work 8 to 5, they convinced me to change it to 8 to 7.
    They also ask you to work outside of your availability.
    I've almost gone off the road and fallen asleep at the wheel a couple of times because I've worked 14 hours in one day.
    They lie about the distance and location of clients just so you would go.

Advice to Management

You need to have a personal talk with your caregivers.
    The fact that we're busting our butts and some are constantly in overtime, but we're constantly working and expected or guilt tripped into working even more shifts and only getting paid $8 or $9 while the office workers do everything they can to avoid leaving the comforts of their office and set schedule while being laid 10 to 13 dollars, is unfair.
    We see the decline in our clients health, we form personal relationships, to some we're the only family they have, but you work us like dogs and give us a wage thats unliveable.

Treat your clients AND caregivers like human beings. Not dirt.

"Lead caregiver"

Current Employee - Lead Caregiver in Rancho Cordova, CA
    Current Employee - Lead Caregiver in Rancho Cordova, CA

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care full-time (More than a year)

Pros

you have a big support team..friendly staff. offers 401k

Cons

more one on one with managers

"Staffing Coordinator"

Former Employee - Staffing Coordinator in Oakwood Village, OH
    Former Employee - Staffing Coordinator in Oakwood Village, OH

I worked at Home Instead Senior Care full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The caregivers were the nicest employees

Cons

Unprofessional,rude, spiteful women work here who spread rumors and lies think mean girls meets golden girls. As a navy vet I never worked in a more unprofessional place even the work attire isn't business causal. If they worked as hard as they talked about one another the goal of $800k a month would be achieved. Benefits package was ridiculous you are better off getting private insurance.

Advice to Management

Start over from the staffing supervisor to the caregiver liaison to the hr manager.

"NOT that great"

Current Employee - Caregiver in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Caregiver in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Relative flexibility with days/hours, some clients are fun to work with/for, various types of trainings are offered, some room for advancement.

Cons

Bare minimum pay for a sometimes demanding and personal job, few weekend hours, lack of communication with and throughout the office, only partial reimbursement for travel (and only during shift, not to/from clients no matter how close or far they are), hardly any support or coaching outside of initial training, direct deposit is a "reward" rather than a payment method, no real incentives, high turnover of office and case manager staff -- a whole lot, honestly.

Advice to Management

Be more flexible with scheduling: If you want shifts covered, you need to be more lax in the start/end times of shifts. Plus, you need to accommodate clients' desires, if they want to change the times -- you're serving the clients. Period.

Paying peanuts will also result in shoddy, half-baked efforts on the part of most work staff, and those of us who do work hard will burn out more easily. It's also insulting that HHAs, who do things like help the elderly use the toilet and shower, get paid only an additional $1.00 more per hour -- they are doing something intimate and hygienic, and this isn't enticing enough for a lot of people to bother with advancement.

"Great clients, crappy pay no benefits"

Current Employee - Home Health Caregiver
    Current Employee - Home Health Caregiver

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wonderful clients and families. Flexible shifts

Cons

Min pay for the work that is expected. Different pay rates based on where you live not where you work and actually spend your paycheck