Home Instead Senior Care Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated October 17, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Extremely low pay for some of the cases you get/ schedule is crazy sometimes (in 73 reviews)

• No benefits offered with this job (in 64 reviews)

1. "Very supportive management staff, great trainings!"

Former Employee - Caregiver, CNA in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Caregiver, CNA in Portland, OR

I worked at Home Instead Senior Care part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Thorough, hands on training and support done by office staff! They work around your schedule, requesting time off is a breeze. No matter what time of day it is they answer and are very helpful!

Cons

If you don't have reliable transportation it can be challenging considering the travel time needed for some clients. The hours aren't always consistent, and they don't do PTO.

Advice to Management

Company phones could be helpful- they could make access to care plans and support from other staff that much easier.

2. "Feast or famine"

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Love working with clients. And to travel. Very satisfying work. HR manager is very easy to work with unfortunately others not do much.

Cons

Not enough hours or too many. Don't always match with client just looking for body. No one calls back after hours.

3. "Great, but could be better"

Current Employee - Caregiver in El Paso, TX
    Current Employee - Caregiver in El Paso, TX

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care part-time

Pros

Helping the elderly in homes in personally rewarding
    Flexible hours

Cons

Horrible communication within company, specifically between employer and employee
    No guarantee on hours

Advice to Management

Stay in touch with employees-- do not wait 3+ weeks to contact.

4. "CNA I went to apply and went through7 hours of orientation and no pay and no job!"

Former Employee - Caregiver, CNA in Northbrook, IL
    Former Employee - Caregiver, CNA in Northbrook, IL

I worked at Home Instead Senior Care full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have no reasons to work here! Case managers seem to busy to take time to call They constantly advertise they have jobs The application on line is difficult to get it to go through Always error messages when filling out application

Cons

The application always has error messages It’s very time consuming to fill OT out Then there are no call backs When you do meet Cas managers they tell you how wonderful you are and then they don’t bother to call you back

Advice to Management

Call people back when we leave a voicemail! Take time return calls!

5. "Caregiver"

Current Employee - Home Health Caregiver in Yuma, AZ
    Current Employee - Home Health Caregiver in Yuma, AZ

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The clients are great. The clients & workers are friendly. coworkers are awesome for the most part. some will go out of the way to help each other out when needed

Cons

The management needs improvement. It would be nice if I didn't have to worry if my check was going to bounce at times. They are willing to work with you & help when needed.

6. "Caregiver"

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care part-time

Pros

Getting to help people, rewarding job, very flexible

Cons

the base payment is $9.50

Advice to Management

NA

7. "Patient Coordinator"

Former Employee - Patient Care Coordinator in Ocean Springs, MS
    Former Employee - Patient Care Coordinator in Ocean Springs, MS

I worked at Home Instead Senior Care full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Patients contact and helping staff understand patient needs

Cons

Owners are awful, speak to employees very bad

8. "No training"

Former Employee - Caregiver in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Caregiver in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Home Instead Senior Care part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pros were very few. If you have more experience with people & are trained well, you may do better.

Cons

They sent me out to do my 1st assignment and left me basically on my own. I worked on a weekend which means that there there was nobody to confer with about any questions that I had. Plus they had told me that I would basically be doing care such as helping clients groom themselves and cooking. They had said that I would be doing 20% cleaning and it was more like 95% cleaning: cooking, mopping, vacuuming, laundry, linens, ironing. All in all about 16 different tasks to be done!

Advice to Management

Make sure that the employee has enough time to do all the tasks and don't start them out their 1st day without them being prepared. Don't have impossible amounts of tasks to be done. Also, when the client doesn't want us to do the chores what are we supposed to do?

9. "It's great. Until you get a very challenging clients. They are really flexible on your schedule and hours you want."

Current Employee - Caregiver in Hutchinson, KS
    Current Employee - Caregiver in Hutchinson, KS

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get to help those who want the independence in their homes.

Cons

There is some clients who are just demanding and rude.

Advice to Management

Offer the employees who live 45 mins away "pay by mileage" because some can't afford to drive back and forth everyday.

10. "Caregiver"

Former Employee - In Home Caregiver in Maryville, TN
    Former Employee - In Home Caregiver in Maryville, TN

I worked at Home Instead Senior Care full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Most of the clients are great. You get to know them and form a bond. So the care they get is because of that bond.

Cons

This is a non medical caregiving business. Which means you are not allowed to mess with patients blood or meds. I was told (by the scheduler who is the patient's main caregiver)to do blood sugar on that patient. I refused. Then I was told to give meds to patient. I refused. Then i got a text message saying that we need to do a blood sugar and give meds but we were no longer allowed to chart it. (This text message came from the scheduler) That was my last day. If something comes up with the patient those charts are looked at too. I will not get in trouble because i do something illegal just because im told to. I really have no idea if the owner/manager knew what was being said by the scheduler or not. They are also very bad about not caring about client patient fit. Wages very low. Im still owed mileage.

Advice to Management

Wake up and try to understand why you have such a high turn over. Wages are low. People are doing things they shouldnt be. Your scheduler doesnt care if your workers need time off or if they dont fit with the client. Stop looking at your money and pay attention to the care.