Home Instead Senior Care Employee Reviews | Glassdoor

Home Instead Senior Care Reviews

Updated February 19, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • Low pay for what you have to do, no health benefits (in 63 reviews)

• They offer no benefits except after a year you are eligible for 401K (in 50 reviews)

1. "Wonderful Company!"

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care full-time

Pros

Rewarding job. Wonderful people in the office. They really care about their clients and their employees. I really feel appreciated.

Cons

I have been working for Home Instead for nearly a year and I have yet to find anything that I would consider to be a bad reason for working here. No cons.

2. "A solid and enjoyable place to work"

Current Employee - On-call Coordinator
    Current Employee - On-call Coordinator

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lot's of quality training provided, unlike any other home care job I've had in the past, and co-workers treat each other like family.

Cons

There is a learning curve for the software they use, but other than that, none so far.

Advice to Management

Each Home Instead is individually owned and operated, and the owners of my franchise are doing really well.

3. "Terrible Employer"

Former Employee - Care Giver in Bettendorf, IA
    Former Employee - Care Giver in Bettendorf, IA

I worked at Home Instead Senior Care part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I loved some of the clients that I got to take care of and really enjoyed my time with them.

Cons

I started this job making it clear that it was a second job for me and I wanted 15-20 hours/week. I would constantly get calls and emails from the office pressuring me to pick up extra shifts. Had I agreed to all of them, I would have easily been working 40+ hours a week. I felt like I was being harassed by the schedulers all of the time- they make you feel guilty for having any time off and were so rude and condescending all of the time. I didn't want hospice or male clients, but my first three clients were hospice clients and I had a handful of male clients in my almost 2 years there. They require you take a certain amount of classes every year, which is great if they would actually teach something in them. Most of the classes are just sitting and watching videos that don't really apply to your day to day work or how you could actually improve as a caregiver. I asked for a CPR class and was told that they couldn't provide that because then they would be held liable if we performed CPR incorrectly. I was always so anxious going to a new clients home, because if there were any complications I knew I was ill-prepared. Once I was sent to a clients home with a stoma. I did not find out until I arrived and was only "educated" by a fellow employee that was gracious enough to stay after her shift to give me a quick run down of how to take care of it. Had anything gone wrong in this situation, I would have just been there to call 911. Between the schedulers constantly guilting me and feeling really unprepared, I felt anxious basically the whole time I worked here. They don't care about their employees and are just out to make a buck. I would not recommend this job to anyone.

5. "Caregiver"

Current Employee - Caregiver in Merrillville, IN
    Current Employee - Caregiver in Merrillville, IN

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is a great joy to help the Seniors and get to know them. If you are available you are able to get many hours. The ladies in the office are more than willing to try to accommodate the employee's.

Cons

Some shifts are only 3 hours long. Some shifts not consistent. Low to average pay.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

"Poor training, management, and leadership - no wonder there is high turnover!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newport News, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newport News, VA

I worked at Home Instead Senior Care full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Caregivers
    Caregivers!

The caregivers are truly the best there and should be paid higher, have benefits, and treated lotsssss better. Awards are nice, but they deserve the best since they are the one's doing most of the hard work.

Cons

Unprofessional, low pay, and poor management and leadership

Owner has lots of personal problems and crisis going on

Advice to Management

Pay the caregivers what they are worth, learn how to manage a business, and don't talk behind people's backs (you are not in middle or high school anymore)

Older caregivers are called "Kathys" and younger caregivers are called "Christies." This is ageism.

7. "Home care giver"

Former Employee - Home Caregiver in Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - Home Caregiver in Buffalo, NY

I worked at Home Instead Senior Care part-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was a rewarding position for a good company

Cons

Caring for the elderly is sometimes sad

"Caregiver"

I worked at Home Instead Senior Care full-time

Pros

Flexible Schedule, great clients

Cons

Was really an on-call type of gig never really had a set schedule, because every week was different since every week someone was calling off and management called you last minute to cover their shifts and expected and even begged sometimes to pull the shift which i think is unprofessional in this type of work. Unfortunately I had enough of the last minute calls and had to leave the job.

Advice to Management

Have the caregivers be accountable for calling off so many times.

9. "Good for College Kid"

Former Employee - Home Health Aide in Evansville, IN
    Former Employee - Home Health Aide in Evansville, IN

I worked at Home Instead Senior Care part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, higher hourly pay for more difficult clients (up to 9.88/hourly)

Cons

A lot of pressure to pick up shifts. Low pay, for CNA work.

Advice to Management

Respect your employees and their scheduled work hours. Constantly getting asked to pick-up shifts is irritating.

10. "Terrible place"

Former Employee - Caregiver in Bowling Green, KY
    Former Employee - Caregiver in Bowling Green, KY

I worked at Home Instead Senior Care part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nothing good about this place.

Cons

They treat their employees and their clients like dollar signs. They discriminate based on religion and even made off-handed comments about how scary Islamic religions can be. They don't have it together. They are also quite vindictive.

Advice to Management

Close down. You are beyond hope. You don't deserve to operate.

"terrible do not work here"

Former Employee - RN, Bsn in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - RN, Bsn in Dallas, TX

I worked at Home Instead Senior Care full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

it is a job that pays minimum wage if that is what you want

Cons

I am now an RN with a BSN. 22 YEARS OLD.
    Took this job during nursing school for supplemental income.
    IT WAS THE WORST MISTAKE!!!!
    I fully regret working for the Dallas RedOak office.
    THE COMPANY DOES NOT PROVIDE ENOUGH QUALITY TRAINING TO PERFORM YOUR JOB ADEQUATELY. This will leave you in many situations where you are helpless to the client you are caring for and will leave you in an UNSAFE situation.
    They honestly don't care about the quality of care they provide to clients. Whilst the management are friendly enough to your face, they do not make an effort to actually deal with any grievances.

THEY ALSO DO NOT RESPECT THE HOURS YOU ARE AVAILABLE TO WORK.
    I had them call many times and ask me to pick up extra shifts last minute. Although they say it is not mandatory, they will make you feel like crap for not saying yes each time.

THEY DO NOT PAY FOR YOUR GAS.
    I often drove over 45 minutes to see clients after I told them I was only willing to go 25 miles away, they do not reimburse you for driving to and from the clients. Sometimes, I was only there for a few hours, making under $40 for a workday after driving over 2 hours. NOT WORHT IT.!!!!

THEY ONLY PAY $8.75 AND REFUSE TO PAY MORE.
    Not only do they pay a ridiculous minimum wage, but they charge the families over $35 an hour for your services, leaving the family feeling like they need to get the most out of their money or wanting you to do more than you were assigned to do.

RUN THE OTHER WAY!!!
    DO NOT APPLY HERE IF YOU HAVE ANY SELF RESPECT.
    THIS JOB WILL DRAIN THE LIFE OUT OF YOU, ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE A YOUNG PERSON.

THE MANAGEMENT ARE HELL!!!!!!!!

APPLY TO A HOSPITAL IF YOU WANT TO WORK AS A CAREGIVER. BECOME A PCT INSTEAD, IT IS WAYYYY MORE REWARDING THAN WORKING FOR THIS COMPANY.

IF YOU ARE EVEN THINKING ABOUT APPLYING HERE OR HAVING YOUR FAMILY CARED FOR BY THEM, YOU CAN CONTACT ME AND I WILL LET YOU KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU CAN ACTUALLY EXEPCT.