Home Instead Senior Care Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated July 19, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Extremely low pay for some of the cases you get/ schedule is crazy sometimes (in 73 reviews)

• pay is bad no benefits no raises mileage reimbursement is not nearly enough (in 60 reviews)

1. "CNA"

Current Employee - Cna/Cma in Kennesaw, GA
    Current Employee - Cna/Cma in Kennesaw, GA

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked at the one in MN for 2yrs. and they treated respect they never stressed you out about shift to work.

Cons

I work for the one GA and they don't care about or your family they just looking for the money. you have to 500 plus hour before you can get a rise or P.T.O. if you work one yrs you get a shirt, two yrs. a cup, third yr a home Instead pin really no respect.

Advice to Management

pay your worker better and they would be glad to pick up hours and give a incentive work at short notice. give gas card $10-$15 birthday ,CNA appreciate day would nice to know you care. An the nurses need to check on their clients better then they know.

2. "Good people to work with"

Current Employee - Home Health Caregiver in Erie, PA
    Current Employee - Home Health Caregiver in Erie, PA

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This HISC franchise provides great training, open door space for personal chat, high and respected community involvement, respect for its clients, respect for its caregivers.

Cons

There are 200+ caregivers all with different needs and work styles. It's difficult for the supportive staff to get to everyone. Patience is golden.

Advice to Management

Come visit when I'm with a client

"Caregiver"

Current Employee - Caregiver in Commerce Township, MI
    Current Employee - Caregiver in Commerce Township, MI

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care part-time

Pros

The company really cares about it's clients and employees making sure that there is always an introduction to clients by another staff member familiar to the client. There is continuous follow up to any questions, concerns or changes. They have flexible hours and are always pleasant and polite. They have yearly training and updated education at regular intervals. Really, they couldn't be any nicer or more understanding. They put their clients needs first. The administrative staff, owner and caregivers are caring top notch people.

Cons

You need another job besides this one to make ends meet. Pay scale is competitive to start but remains low with no apparent raises or room for position advancement with long term employment.

Advice to Management

Consider implementing incentives for hard working, caring, good employees with raises and possible leadership positions.

"Time I will never get back, life long friends made"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fredericksburg, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fredericksburg, VA

I worked at Home Instead Senior Care full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing caregivers and clients, disorganization leads to flexibility

Cons

Hours, demands, office culture, lack of transparency, low pay, no opportunities for advancement, paranoid owners who are not fair to employees

Advice to Management

Create and execute fair policy. The tiny Christmas bonus should not be based on salary but merit. Yes, we all compared.

"Management very unorganized"

Current Employee - Caregiver in Greenville, SC
    Current Employee - Caregiver in Greenville, SC

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Make your own schedule (doesn't mean you'll get work though!)

Cons

Owner pretends to care about you. But she only cares about making more money off of families.

Advice to Management

Get organized, it's not that hard.

6. "Ok Place not the best!"

Former Employee - Home Health Aide in Toledo, OH
    Former Employee - Home Health Aide in Toledo, OH

I worked at Home Instead Senior Care part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I loved helping out seniors and making them feel comfortable in their homes. It is a very rewarding job.

Cons

Just at times no consistency with hours

Advice to Management

Need to make sure this company keeps their promises with people who they hire about having consistent hours they need. For me i got alot of hours i needed ,but they after a couple of weeks i went down to nothing. Need to work on being honest about not really having the hours available that people want to work because of family schedules. I got told they would have hours in the evening,but come to find out they never really did which i didn't understand. They told me they were getting extra clients but just left me hanging and just wanted to have me fill in where they wanted to put me instead of finding the hours and days i applied for at the beginning.

7. "Pay is less than fair for what is expected."

Former Employee - Caregiver in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Caregiver in Madison, WI

I worked at Home Instead Senior Care part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people both in the office and receiving care are amazing. There is an option to get a 3rd shift with paid sleep time

Cons

There is always a shortage of staff. I have worked 80+ hour weeks and still was asked to pick up more shifts. It can be emotionally draining, every day. Over the years, the people you care for die. Some are expected, some are not. They hurt is the same.

Advice to Management

Consider paying your employees a higher salary. Offer an incentive for nights and weekends.

"Good Place to Work"

Current Employee - Hha in Daytona Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Hha in Daytona Beach, FL

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care part-time (More than a year)

Pros

rewarding work professional staff choice of shifts availability of additional training at no cost to caregiver

Cons

rate of pay is mediocre some clients require a level of care above training level health insurance not available at all locations

Advice to Management

Overall Home Instead is a great place to be employed especially as a part-time worker. At times it can be physically challenging if a client needs to be lifted and/or transferred often.

9. "Flexible work schedule compassionate providing a safe environment for seniors"

Current Employee - Caregiver in North Olmsted, OH
    Current Employee - Caregiver in North Olmsted, OH

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I like working for this company because they are understanding of me being a mother of 4 and they were able to provide me what a work schedule that works for me I also enjoy the paid training classes so that I can learn to be more of a help to my senior

Cons

Low pay/ low pay for mileage

Advice to Management

Possibly offering a higher pay rate considering other companies that offer the same work with higher pay such as 10.20 a hr

10. "Newport News location is awful!!!!"

Former Employee - Staffing in Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Staffing in Norfolk, VA

I worked at Home Instead Senior Care full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Caregivers truly are the best

Cons

Low pay, limited benefits, dysfunctional work culture and environment, and high turnover

Owner and management lack leadership skills

Advice to Management

Get your act together and stop bringing your personal problems to work