Home of the Innocents Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Joni Way

1. "review"

Current Employee - Job Title| Intake Discharge Coordinator/Receptionist in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Home of the Innocents (More than a year)

Pros

Very professional, free health insurance

Cons

High demand, not many 1st shift positions

Advice to Management

More 1st shift positions

2. "Lack of Support and Training"

Former Employee - Clinician/Behavioral Health Professional in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Clinician/Behavioral Health Professional in Louisville, KY

I worked at Home of the Innocents full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with the teen/adolescent population is extremely fulfilling whethers its helping them reunite with family or find a safe foster home, I really enjoyed this aspect.

Cons

Residential clinical team is non-supportive, has unprofessional attitude and assigns own workload to the team of clinical staff, to provide constructive feedback and adequate training tools. Clinicians hold the responsibility of 4+ roles and are only paid for one. Overall, this non-profit organization runs as a for profit company and often holds a higher value for quantity over quality of work and places monetary gain over ethical practices for the children who reside there.

Advice to Management

Ensure that supervisors are doing their job properly, implement a structured training program for clinicians.

3. "It's All Happening at the Home!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Home of the Innocents full-time

Pros

The Home is a great place to work. From support staff to direct care workers to senior mamagement, everyone is treated like family. Wages are competitive and benefits are well above average. The staff do a great job working with some very behaviorally challenging and medically fragile kids.

Cons

Management has to wear many hats to get the overall job done. The population we serve can be very challenging behaviorally and medically.

Advice to Management

The new Paladina free clinic rocks!

"IF THE COMMUNITY ONLY KNEW"

I have been working at Home of the Innocents (More than 3 years)

Pros

No pros for me as an employee. The (underpaid) workers do take good care of the kids.

Cons

This place is a JOKE. The CEO and COO care more about potential donors than their employees. BE aware donors, if the donation is not marked for a specific program or child, it goes to their general fund for them to do whatever they feel like doing with it.
    The COO also declares positions that must have a degrees but she's sitting in her spot out of tenure without a degree herself. She often abuses her time by brushing her "hair" and tending to the office cat, that everyone must like or they can't work there. The 2nd floor is just a big gossip area about all of the employees. I can't believe the things I have heard on this floor. Upper management walks around with their noses in the air, not the friendly welcoming place as you'd expect, unless you're a potential donor. Work on this floor or volunteer for one month, I guarantee you will hear gossip and can point out the cliché's. I can't wait for new management. Hopefully for all the other employees as well, out with the old in with the new and maybe good things will happen for the staff there that truly care about the kids not the latest gossip..

Advice to Management

Upper management need to grow up and put the knives away. Learn some people skills with your employees. TREAT STAFF HOW YOU WOULD WANT TO BE TREATED!! They are the reason you have your job, the kids are the reason they have a job. Set good examples, not by wasting the kids money on your overpaid salaries. Give 110% if you want the staff to give 110%.

6. "RN"

Pros

The misson of Home of the Innocent's is great.

Cons

Small organization, pay could be better

7. "Great Plce to Work"

I worked at Home of the Innocents full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great work and service to others. A decent benefits package.

Cons

Changes to insurance and the removal of programs.

"Human Resources Assistant"

Former Intern - Human Resources Assistant in Louisville, KY
    Former Intern - Human Resources Assistant in Louisville, KY

I worked at Home of the Innocents as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I got to create my own schedule and job description. I was able to take on any available project I wanted, giving me a lot of really great experiences that my peers were not able to get with their internships. It was also a very familial work environment and I got to work with a company that was making great strides in helping kids. It was a great networking opportunity, as well.

Cons

They are a non-profit with a tight budget, so it was an unpaid internship where I worked only for experience and college credit. Budget constraints prevented them from being able to hire me when my internship was over, although they would have hired me if they had been able.

9. "Very fast decline the last year"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

Pros

Decent salary compared to similar jobs at other agencies. New building, clean, good location maybe. Inexpensive lunch in the cafeteria.

Cons

Upper management treats employees as numbers and the CEO is more worried about tape on the wall than safety of staff.
    More importance is put on length of employment rather than competent work. Newer employees get passed up for raises, promotions, and are let go first regardless of performance.
    In my department turn over was at 90% in less than 6 months. Upper management often bold face lies to employees and makes promises they don't intend to keep.

Advice to Management

Go to training (again) on effectively managing others and listen, really listen. Stop adding new programs long enough to fix the broken ones. Quality over quantity.

"I feel like part of a family."

Current Employee - Lifeguard
    Current Employee - Lifeguard

I have been working at Home of the Innocents part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I am a student and work at the pool, and the company and my managers have been very flexible and understanding of that. Whether it be through scheduling, helping me find ways to meet compliance requirements without having to go to meetings, or assisting with tuition when I was full-time, it has helped. If I haven't worked days in a while, people still recognize me and always says hello in the hallway. I also appreciate the high standards of cleanliness and customer service, unlike other pools that I have worked at.

Cons

It is a non-profit, so the pay is less than you would find at other places for some positions. Also, it seems like the marketing department sometimes does not understand that you have to spend a little money to market yourself to the public in order to make money. The facility is also so big, with a lot of employees and departments, so sometimes the chain of command is hard to follow.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees' ideas, I've heard a lot of great ones that sometimes aren't heard by the right ears.

"An oppressive hostile workplace"

Pros

Personnel below the administrative level are mission minded. The Pediatric Convalescent Center and Open Arms are well run. A lot of good people, often poorly treated.

Cons

Agency does not address unethical practices and workplace bullying.

Advice to Management

Many talented, capable people have left due to poor senior management. Have the courage to make the changes that are needed to keep the focus on the community that your serve.