HomeAway Reviews in Austin, TX | Glassdoor

HomeAway President John Kim
John Kim

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work/Life balance can sometimes be a challenge (in 12 reviews)

• Sometimes upper management can get in the way of work or advancement (in 10 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at HomeAway full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Incredible people and work environment
    - Competitive salary packages and benefits
    - Weekly updates from executives and upper management
    - Free food and drinks
    - Modern offices w amenities (gym, ping pong, foosball, shuffleboard, video games, etc...)

Cons

I've loved every minute of working at HomeAway!!!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

"great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at HomeAway full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

HomeAway technology stack has come a long way. One of the most appealing things about working here is the fact that you get to work with cutting edge technology. In addition, the engineering team are super smart, so working here is a great networking opportunity too.

Cons

Company is getting pretty big, and if you end up on the wrong team, you may find it that it is difficult for you to be impactful.

Advice to Management

Some people have never been very good. With those, be more quick to get rid of them. Don't try to shift people around who already proved to not be great.

3. "Summer Full of Learning at HomeAway"

Former Intern - Software Developer in Austin, TX
    Former Intern - Software Developer in Austin, TX

I worked at HomeAway as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere for learning. Team was hardworking but also knew how to celebrate well!

Cons

No kombucha taps in the kitchen :(

"Great place to work over all"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at HomeAway full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Your schedule does not change frequently like some other call centers do. You can request a change and you will get it when the schedule becomes available. Free drinks and snacks. Free breakfast every Friday. 4 weeks vacation from the first year of service and 5 days of sick time. Lots of free food. Quarterly bonuses for some positions. Sit/stand desks. Lots of games and entertainment on the site and a small gym is provided as well. The training is very good. If you forget your lunch, there is enough snacks to be able to eat something for lunch, including fruit and cereal. Regular yearly raises.

Cons

You frequently have to move desks. You have to move your desk on your break or lunch so basically they do make us work on our time. The insurance this year changed to the Expedia insurance (they bought homeaway about a year and a half ago) and it's not as good as the insurance was when it was HomeAway. There is a lot of competition for new positions so while they do hire from within, it can be hard to get into the role you want. Some of the supervisors who have been there a long time are rude and do not listen to what we have to say or what we are asking so some people have just stopped asking questions because it's easier to not ask and not be treated like they are an annoyance or that the supervisor is just so important they can't be bothered to help you out.

Advice to Management

Be more available for employees questions and follow through on the answers. Some of supervisors are very rude and need to work on their people skills.

"Not overly happy."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at HomeAway full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Competitive bonus and Healthcare.

Cons

Salary is too low. No real upward or sideways moving potential. Micro management. Context switches all over the place. Support cycles means being awaken at 3am every day for a week every six weeks.

Advice to Management

Let staff get familiar with one component before making us work on the next. Stop lying about the ability to move to another team, its a lie. When working on a large ticket, I don't need to be contacted every 25 minutes for updates. Why do standups last 45 minutes every morning?

6. "Senior UI Engineer"

Former Employee - UI Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - UI Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at HomeAway full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lot's of opportunities to work on different projects and grow in your chosen career path. Great people and a relaxed worked atmosphere.

Cons

It's quickly grown very large and some projects get slowed down.

"Going in a strange direction"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at HomeAway full-time

Pros

If you are in the "product" organization or a middle manager or above, you are probably paid well.

Most employees are good people and easy to get along with, especially individually.

Given the big bet Expedia has placed, there is significant runway for big bets and failure.

Cons

The company will now live and die based on the new CEO. To say he is hands on is a vast understatement.

The monthly review format is a massive time and energy sink that almost certainly does more harm than good.

The "120 process" supposes a flat company structure but the company is very hierarchical and will be even more so when thousands are hired in Austin. There's no real reward or incentive to contribute.

The actual website(s) are still a mess.

It's very rare for anyone to rise through the internal ranks even if they are a very strong performer.

Advice to Management

Clear out the middle management layer periodically like most successful tech companies do. Don't replace them all with long term Expedia people.

Try again to find a CMO.

Provide travel and education budget transparency.

8. "Amazing place to work for"

Current Intern - Product Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Intern - Product Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at HomeAway as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

1) Beautiful Culture
    2) Treat employees with great respect
    3) Great opportunities at work

Cons

I can't think of any. This is the best place I have worked so far

Advice to Management

Do what you are already doing. The culture is great, involvement of every single individual is outstanding.

"Poor Experience - Customer Expereince Dept"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at HomeAway full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Other than free drinks, snacks and really cool work sites, nothing.

Cons

I know this a great company and has the ratings for it. Clearly this is not with the Customer Experience Dept. It was the worst customer service job I ever had. They say the training was re-constructed for more hands on but if you're ready to just be thrown into the fire than go for it. The leadership is poor, they have some helpers in ramp that actually want to help and others that make you feel like a complete idiot and unwanted. This is definitely not a great first impression. Like I mentioned I know this is a great company but just steer far, far away from the Customer Experience Dept!

Advice to Management

Clean out your leadership. You should re-evaluate who you choose to help within ramping. I think some are there just to get away from their own job. Some of the most rudest people.

"Cool Vibes, awful work load."

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at HomeAway full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Food from local spots, drinks/snacks, employee giveaways.

Cons

Quite possibly the worst customer support position I've worked. There are so many issues with how information is given to the customers that it creates loads of problems in which customer support must handle. The interface is misleading to both home owners and renters, which results in the same conversation of "Well, actually, THIS is how much money you make; well, actually, THIS is why we cant help you; etc."

Which sucks because anytime you have to explain to a home owner that they aren't getting the amount of money that the interface tells them they are getting; it is ALWAYS a bad conversation!

Advice to Management

Do more for moral! Like team building. It sucks that as a customer support rep you don't get to talk to the people around you, so that adds to the toxic feeling of just slaving away at another call center.