HomeAway Customer Support Representative Reviews | Glassdoor

HomeAway President John Kim
John Kim
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Company values work/life balance (in 36 reviews)

• Great benefits friendly workers much room to grow flexible hours very patient and train well (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance can sometimes be a challenge (in 13 reviews)

• Sometimes upper management can get in the way of work or advancement (in 10 reviews)

"A great family to be a part of"

I worked at HomeAway full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Without a doubt the best company I've wirked for. People are very friendly, there is a real sense if comradery. The business takes very good care of employees too, and management is keen for employees to be given lots of responsibilities to encourage their careers to evolve.

Cons

When I left the company, it was going through a transition from a start up to a public company. Consequently a lot of new burocracy was introduced and a lot of people who had been with the company for years were unceremoniously let go by new department heads who were brought in from the outside. I was unaffected by these changes, but the new atmosphere was not one in wish I wanted to continue working, hence I started looking for other opportunities elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Realize that the people working for you care a great deal about the company's success - and each other. When you treat one person as disposable, you are likely to lose a lot of others out of protest.

"Customer Support Representative"

Former Employee - Customer Support Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at HomeAway (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, great people in office, and snacks.

Cons

Schedules are terrible for CSR. No transparency. They are trying to become airbnb and it is clearly not working.

"Not the worst company, not the best experience"

Former Employee - Customer Support Representative

Pros

The company is overall pretty good to it's employees, providing a good amount of vacation time, free drinks and snacks, and a strong focus on morale.

Cons

The amount employees are paid is weird. There are people who starting at the bottom of the totem pole were offered more than people in management made, but the next hiring sequence would be totally different. The company went more and more corporate in my time there, loosing a lot of the reasons I enjoyed it, and upper management ended up making me a lot of promises that were not kept in regards to promotion (I was infact told that the very thing I was asked to do that would likely lead to a promotion was what kept me from getting one at one point). Lots of politics and favoritism, I saw one person who I can honestly not tell you one thing they ever contributed to the company shoot up in ranks until in charge of their own department, and only then did anyone realize they had no ability to handle that position.

"Losing sight of the vision"

I worked at HomeAway full-time

Pros

They're the top dogs in this still emerging market. With that said comes a lot of passion for the idea, and a lot of smart people behind.
    As other's have said, free snacks! It's been stated ad-neaseum, but it does help morale some. I went to work more than a few times and, while not always super healthy, just snacked on the food and saved money.
    Everyone is very friendly.
    Lots of ways to win cool stuff, contests, giveaways, etc.
    HQ'd in Austin, which fits the local culture nicely. Very relaxed environment if not on a customer facing job.

Cons

I worked in their customer support dept, and then eventually handled escalations. I've done my fair share of call center jobs, and while it's a dead end for many, I embraced the challenge as I thought it would be a good next step for me. I've seen what works, and what doesn't, and initially I had thought HA was doing everything right.

Well, then I was wrong. Then RM2 happened, then more and more changes occurred. What you need to consider is the average HA/VRBO user are generally older, retired, and often have this as their only means of income. With that comes with a general lack of technological savvyness, and being quick to anger and agitation that they perceive HA is forcing change onto them which they may not think is best. Now of course, you can never please anyone.

I often sat down with my, at the time, lead, and discussed how to best handle the situation. I told him, "Well, you hear the calls, you understand the concern here, right?" The fix was to continue to build up trust and support in the product, and educating the users on the changes.

Their answer was to throw mandatory OT at the problem, hence MEGA burn out. Oh well.

Advice to Management

There's so much arbitrary middle management that just convolutes the problem. Listen more closely to the CS management in regards to how we can ease customer frustration, instead of rolling out change after change and telling us to deal with it.

"Nightmare"

I worked at HomeAway full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly & helpful coworkers
    Free snacks
    Lots of vacation time

Cons

-Misleading job description
    -Can't use the restroom without permission
    -30 seconds between ENDLESS calls
    -Mandatory overtime without an end date (I did it for 2 months which meant I was spending roughly ten hours a day in a call center EVERY day)
    -Customers have hold times of anywhere between 10 minutes to 30 minutes which means they are extremely angry by the time they speak with anyone. In short, we were understaffed which is why there was so much overtime required. It could have been avoidable.

Advice to Management

The job description was misleading - probably because the job itself is beyond miserable. Transparency would be nice and would decrease the turnover rate. Please hire enough staff well in advance so that you don't have to work your employees to death. Also give your employees the chance to go to the restroom or get water without asking! Such a degrading job.

"Great Call Center to work at"

I worked at HomeAway full-time

Pros

-Great Medical and Dental Benefits and amount that has to be paid by employee is a good price
    -401 K
    -Amazing Staff including higher ups
    -Great Pay
    -Open Door Policy
    -Provides snacks, drinks, and coffee
    -Outings and celebration activities for holidays
    -Paid Vacations - PTO time
    -Discounts with metro service
    -Consistently changing
    -5 x 8 or 4 x 10 schedules

Cons

-Call center environment. It can be extremely stressful and fast pace if you're not use to it.
    -Consistently changing (if you are not the person who likes change)
    -Not enough down time to recollect yourself

7. "It is a very laid back company and seems to be a great place to work."

Current Employee - Customer Support Representative in Austin, TX

I have been working at HomeAway full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company has great benefits. They provide four weeks of paid vacation; a week of sick time; company holidays; floating holidays; inexpensive medical insurance coverage through BCBS; dental and vision insurance; a free vacation rental stay per year; free food, drinks and snacks; extremely discounted metro rail and bus passes;.

Cons

Too much of the new hire training consists of a classroom situation with no testing environment to learn in. There is not enough on the job training. They give you the basics and set you out on your own.

Advice to Management

It would be nice if the company would strive to make sure all employees are able to have 2 consecutive days off. A staggered schedule is difficult to maintain for employees who already work in a stressful job.

"Horrible experience. If you don't mind a position where you don't get the training you need and the support this is the company for you. You will hit the floor knowing nothing and the managers are unreachable. Most employees call out sick to avoid the be and the ones that are there won't help you."

Current Employee - Customer Support Representative in Austin, TX

I have been working at HomeAway full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nothing nothing nothing nothing nothing

Cons

No support, managers are nonexistent, you get yelled at and made to feel stupid by the callers.

Advice to Management

Get some people who actually know how to train your employees. I've spoken with people who have been there for a year and even they still don't know what to do. You're wasting company funds by not hiring and training appropriately which affects the company bottom line.

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Customer Support Representative in Austin, TX

I have been working at HomeAway full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great fun company to work for.

Cons

Call Center Agents should get paid more. Must have good communication skills for this job and be service oriented. Most customers are old and technology illiterate.

Advice to Management

More face to face communication with employees!

"Nice company to work for"

I worked at HomeAway full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good compensation and benefits.Management is always available and will take your needs into consideration.

Cons

Not very flexible with scheduling