HomeAway Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
HomeAway President John Kim
John Kim

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Company values work/life balance (in 41 reviews)

• Great benefits friendly workers much room to grow flexible hours very patient and train well (in 39 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"The place to be"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at HomeAway full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Since John Kim has taken lead, the company has transformed to one of continuous learning, intelligent values, and dedicated culture. There is no shortage of things to keep busy with and the bottom-up approach is preached here. Now is the right time to be here. Just read Expedia’s earning reports for the last year. It’s all HomeAway.

Cons

The company is running lean so that means dev teams are small and it often feels like there is not enough time to get what you need done. Also, the travel benefit is lacking which is surprising given we are a travel company.

Advice to Management

Changes to the culture are great and you’ve managed them well. Get a better understanding of needs from the product development teams.

2. "Great place to work, awesome coworkers an management"

Current Employee - Technical Support in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Technical Support in Austin, TX

I have been working at HomeAway full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great environment, with an awesome management team. There's an incredible effort put forth to make the teams feel inclusive with everyone's voice being heard and accounted for.

Cons

Change comes fast and hard, often with little to no notice and the expectation is to roll with the punches and keep going.

Advice to Management

Keep being awesome, you make the challenges of the ever changing environment workable.

"Great company to do interesting work and accelerate your career"

Current Employee - Product in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Product in Austin, TX

I have been working at HomeAway full-time (More than a year)

Pros

User-design lead product development with a fantastic design team in US, EU and APAC.

Really interesting marketplace problems to solve. The data scale is massive so the possibilities for innovative products are limitless.

While it's a global company it has a very local heart and the employees love and give back to their communities.

Leaders focus on doing the right thing for the customer not petty turf wars.

Cons

Growing pains and quite a lot of change means mistakes are more frequent and can be taxing on morale.

Company is scaling globally and still figuring out how to work smart in a distributed fashion.

Advice to Management

Prioritize. Stay focused so teams can execute and then everyone, including customers, win.

"Most diverse company I ever worked for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at HomeAway full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Having read the recent comment on the International Women's Day, I was prompted to say how different and positive my perspective is of working at this amazing company and how appreciative I am, as a gay woman, for feeling supported to be who I am. Not only did the flower symbol not offend me, but it allowed me to find out the actual meaning of the flower symbol in the IWD history and share it with my partner. We were both touched by it.

HomeAway recently launched new values and I can honestly say that I have never worked at a place that genuinely cares about culture this much, in a positive way. I particularly like the openness which all senior leaders live! If I remember correctly, over 600 people volunteered to support the launch, which is now embedded in every part of the business. The President oh HomeAway, like really cares about different opinions and I feel like he deeply listens to me every time we get a chance to talk. In one meeting, a manager paused the discussion to see if anyone else has a different view, refusing to continue without a different opinion, which I found super empowering.

The investment in people development is awesome. The quality of programs and the choice is impressive.

Overall, trust. My thoughts and decisions are met with a healthy degree of challenge and support, my line manager makes it super clear that he is there to help me succeed.

Cons

Location. Previous office was easier to get to.

"Customer service is customer service."

Current Employee - Customer Support Representative in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Support Representative in Austin, TX

I have been working at HomeAway full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits 100%.
    You accrue a lot of PTO and sick time per each paycheck, which is nice.
    You also have pretty good insurance, too.

Cons

Customer service is customer service, no matter how you paint it. It’s hard and nitty gritty.
    Aside from that though, management has a few questionable ideas about metrics and how they should be handled.
    The company rarely tells property owners when they’re about to release a huge new product that is going to change the whole dashboard, which spawns a lot of crap calls.
    It’s extremely hard to move forward here. You’re stuck in customer service for a long time before anything happens, even if you’re applying for jobs internally pretty regularly.

Advice to Management

Pay people what they’re worth. Stop hiring people on at a higher salary than the people that have worked their tails off for the last few years to make less than the person you just hired.
    Get your metrics straightened out. The CSAT is based off of a bogus email sent at the end of the call and almost always has nothing to do with your performance at all and mostly on how much they hate the company/policies.

"Best Company I've worked for"

Current Employee - Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at HomeAway full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Our CEO is not only inspiring but really cares about our culture and establishing a learning environment. The company brings in incredible speakers and hosts learning events far surpassing what I've been exposed to at other companies.
    - We recently rolled out renewed values and while this can be challenging, I think majority of our employees, including myself, have felt very much a big part of the process. It did not feel top-down but rather felt organic and driven by employees. I feel we were already living these values but now have a common language to talk about them with each other.
    - My manager and team are incredible. I work with really smart, humble people.
    - Trust, enablement, feedback, and continuous growth and improvement allows the company and employees to thrive.
    - We are making a ton of changes to best support our consumers and build a world class product and it's exciting to be part of it.
    - We have unique opportunities for employees to pitch an idea for how to improve the business and our leadership team is open to hear any ideas.
    - Salary is on par with expectations, if not above. More importantly, the work is rewarding and I've never worked for a company with such an incredible group of employees and leadership.

Cons

Nothing to add - very pleased with the company.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Love the environment and where we are going as a company.

"Amazing Employer!"

I worked at HomeAway full-time

Pros

Best job I ever had!

Cons

There are no major cons.

"Great Place"

I have been working at HomeAway full-time

Pros

Alot of vacation time to enjoy!

Cons

None that I can think of

9. "Terrible Leadership"

Pros

Great culture and even better people.

Cons

Poor Leadership, Career Growth, Lack of Moral, Sudden Changes.

Advice to Management

Give credit where credit is due.

"Top-down injection of politics is creating rifts which our customers will pay for"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at HomeAway full-time

Pros

Great office layout. Great vacation policy. Workers in general are pretty relaxed and easy to work with. Opportunity to temporarily work remote or at any of the several offices around the globe.

Cons

Since the Expedia acquisition, the company has internally been on the rapid decline. The new CEO has seen fit to push politics to the forefront of the agenda rather than the needs of our customers.

Many of us liked the talk of promoting diversity in the beginning. And this may even sound great to you reading this. But the manner in which is it being forced from the top-down is causing rifts. They are even pressing for people to take the scientifically dubious "implicit bias" test (which is highly ironic considering they are attempting to brand the company as being scientific).

To illustrate the type of strife this is causing, on International Women's Day, some of the women (I don't know who they are, but I believe they are involved in promoting events and activities either at HomeAway or possibly Expedia as a whole) decided to celebrate and raise awareness of the day by generously buying flowers (thanks!).

This stirred some controversy as most of the commentary on this was that it was a regressive action as opposed to the sign of appreciation and promotion of the day that it was intended to be. There were a handful that voiced their appreciation of the action, and given the environment, I have a hunch that there were more who felt the same, but didn't want to stand out.

Additionally, it's become acceptable to tell individuals not to speak on a topic unless they belong to certain groups. There was a discussion regarding an increase in the number of women in a certain group. And it was rightly pointed out that it still was not equal. A man pointed out that it was important to celebrate the progress on the way to the goal, but was told something along the lines of "maybe we should let the women speak on this instead of the men".

Mind you, this was not a random comment in the hall. This was in a company chat room. Which the CEO personally reads. Which makes it clear that the company is ok with certain discrimination and wants to encourage, no, force, this division from the top down. My guess is that it's an attempt to drive off those who disagree with the direction and create more of an echo chamber.

Bottom line, if you care about the work and satisfying customers, HomeAway is to be avoided.

Advice to Management

As you have no doubt seen, what started off as something that brought people together has turned into a purity contest with an ever-rising bar that no one will satisfy. It's only a matter of time before those in their quest for purity start seeing all of you as "problematic".

HomeAway Response

Mar 19, 2018

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about diversity and inclusion at HomeAway. It is a current and very relevant topic that impacts our employees, our partners and our travelers, and at it is at the... More