HomeServe UK Reviews | Glassdoor

4.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
HomeServe UK CEO Martin Bennett
Martin Bennett

Pros
  • A great place to work where they look after the people (in 40 reviews)

• Greg has put together a really good senior management team all but two worked with him at MBNA (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • No cons I can think of something far (in 20 reviews)

• I believe senior management look after their departments so much so it effects relationships with other areas of the business (in 12 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"The Customer is key"

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Walsall, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Walsall, England (UK)

I have been working at HomeServe UK full-time

Pros

I have worked for several large insurance companies in management roles over the last 20 years - and I can say, without exception, that Homeserve is the best company to work for. From the facilities (little things like free parking, free tea/coffee etc are often overlooked!), to the values, to the clear direction and goals - but, most importantly, focus on the Customer. My role involves looking at the business through the eyes of the Customer, and giving feedback - both positive and negative, to improve current processes, and to highlight areas of high effort. No other company does this - has management and staff who live by these values, and who have invested so much in technology that is specifically designed to improve the CX.

Keep up the good work. Consistency and innovation are key

Cons

Nothing major - just keep listening to the Customer facing staff - they often have all the answers you need to improve

Advice to Management

Look after the existing Customer - they are a brands greatest asset

Feb 8, 2017 – Director of Business Intelligence and Data

Thanks for taking the time to post a review. We’re really happy you’re on board with our values and you feel our People are also. We’re on an exciting journey at HomeServe and our culture is a ... More

"getting better"

Current Employee - Head of Marketing in Walsall, PA
    Current Employee - Head of Marketing in Walsall, PA

I have been working at HomeServe UK full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

role modelling of behaviors and values, investment in training, general levels of moral, share scheme

Cons

Walsall, variation in salaries, top heavy structure, decisions by committee

Advice to Management

Encourage openness and honesty, engagement surveys shouldn't be a competition

"Excellent Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Walsall, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Walsall, England (UK)

I worked at HomeServe UK full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked at Homeserve in 2016 but left the company to take a job closer to home. that was the worst career decision I have ever taken. if I could turn the clock back and remain at Homeserve I would. for such a large company they managed to make the company feel like a Family. They genuinely cared for their customers and staff alike

Cons

The only thing is the location. its not near public transport and therefore you have to drive; which isn't helpful.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing.

"Amazing Culture!"

Current Employee - Finance Manager in Walsall, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Finance Manager in Walsall, England (UK)

I have been working at HomeServe UK full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have now been at Homeserve for several months and absolutely love it. The culture is different to any other large organisation I have ever worked with, almost like a very large family. The investment in people is huge, already a have a comprehensive training plan which brings lots of opportunities to meet other colleagues. Communication is excellent - regular stand up forums, Big Red Sofa channel and social networking via Yammer really makes everyone feel part of the company with constant reminders of our goals - definitely a work hard, play hard culture which everyone is happy to do as we are treated so well - as a full-time working parent I have a good work/life balance with lots of flexibility.

Cons

If I keep eating the cake and pizza (which arrives regularly when we celebrate our successes) I will need to buy some new clothes! On a more serious note there are some system challenges - we are a company which has grown faster than its IT infrastructure - the positive however is that this has been recognised and there is some serious investment in systems to further improve our customer journey and make life a little easier for us all!

Advice to Management

Keep engaging with the teams, continue to celebrate our successes and keep focused on our goals

Mar 21, 2017 – Chief Finance Officer

Thanks for taking the time to post a review, I’m glad that you have enjoyed your first year at HomeServe. Thanks for pointing out some of our communication and engagement methods, these are all ... More

"Making it Happen - customer & employees"

Current Employee - Programmer Director in Walsall, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Programmer Director in Walsall, England (UK)

I have been working at HomeServe UK full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The appetite, pace of change and support provided to all employees is exceptional. We continue to try to be different and 'challenge the norm' and I believe we are succeeding. So much positive change to both customers and employees over the last 3-4 years. Huge opportunities and we are only at the tip of the iceberg. Great place to work.

Cons

None - if you like change and want to make a difference then this is the place to be.

Advice to Management

Keep the focus and support, and ensure the great engagement drive continues.

Mar 20, 2017 – Communications

Thanks for posting a review and what great comments! I think it's a great place to work too!

7. "Customer Relations"

I have been working at HomeServe UK (More than 10 years)

Pros

Competitive salary, friendly environment, opportunities to progress

Cons

Can be stressful meeting targets

Advice to Management

Give more work based training

Mar 20, 2017 – Communications

Thanks for posting, I agree with your comment on progression, I love reading the 'Promoted People' emails. Having worked closely with the Learning and Development Team, I do know there are ... More

"Great company"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Walsall, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Walsall, England (UK)

I have been working at HomeServe UK full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Going from strength to strength. Lots of appreciation for front line staff. Pizzas, chip butties , fruit, chocolates, and did someone mention cake ?

Cons

Sometimes things change so quickly, staff don't always have the time to take stock of what has happened.

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what you're doing. Building the brand and supporting the staff

Mar 8, 2017 – Chief Marketing Officer

Thanks for the review, It's important that we celebrate our Peoples' achievements and I'm glad that you enjoy the way we do it. Things really do change quickly, this is important for us to progress ... More

"Follow up review - generally positive"

Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Walsall, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Walsall, England (UK)

I have been working at HomeServe UK full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I'm going to cover the same points from my previous review and add some where appropriate.
    Culture - this is still being pushed quite strongly and I do see that some areas are well invested.
    Business Improvement - customer facing areas do seem to have a good focus on what is correct for the customer.
    Facilities - still generally good, however some problems throughout the year keep cropping back up. Will mark that down to old building however. Canteen and staff are top notch.
    Benefits package - still good. Again not used much but when I have has been good.
    Again team / boss I work with are great, get a lot of help along the learning front from colleagues I work alongside. My manager is the best manager I could of asked for, but your mileage may vary depending on your area.

Cons

HR Department - called this in my last one and nothing has changed. Slow to help and respond unless you force the issue upwards. Multiple problems with main HR system that just never get traction until you bring Snr Management into the problem.
    Internal politics - still there. Other reviews have raised the point around not open to suggestions and I'd agree. This is anywhere from Manager to Head of level that you see it, no clue about higher as have no interaction.
    Targets - as stated above front line does have a big focus on getting things right for the customer and I can't comment for marketing as a whole (not worked across it all) but the areas I do / have worked with are just far to target driven. I've had multiple conversations about a good "customer journey" but only comes across as benefit of the sales targets. Some areas need to step back and address issues for the benefit of the customer rather than the benefit of the target that is addressed, stop trying to improve the number in the target and focus on improving the benefit for the customer.
    Training - this one is a bit odd. For two years we have been told there is budget for us to take formal qualifications and we always get knocked back, no clue why but this seems to be a running theme with other members of staff also.
    Business outlook - changing this to a negative as there is just to much being pushed through the business at one time, certain areas are being hammered by change and have no time to recuperate at all. Pace needs to be slowed down to take stock soon or people will break.

Advice to Management

C / Exec level visibility - needs to be more of it. Cascades / internal network website are not true visibility for us. I'd rather actually see them taking time to go into areas they own and sit with staff for a day. I suggested before and I'll suggest it again, you take the time to do man in a van as execs why do you not do the same thing with departments you run?
    More clarity on career development / salary banding would be good, opportunity to be mentored by a exec is great but need more support in general around career development.

Mar 18, 2017 – Brand Director

Thank you for taking the time to post such a detailed follow-up review. I’m glad to read that the majority positives you originally highlighted have remained as positives. It’s also good that you ... More

"my time at hs"

I have been working at HomeServe UK full-time

Pros

Great team lots of room for progression

Cons

lack of set procedures and long times to set new ones

Mar 8, 2017 – Chief Marketing Officer

Thanks for taking the time to post a review. I’m glad to read that you’re getting on well with your team. It’s difficult to respond to your comment about procedures without more specific information ... More

"Fantastic so far!"

Current Employee - Recruitment Administrator in Walsall, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Recruitment Administrator in Walsall, England (UK)

Pros

I've only worked here for a short time but I can already feel that this is a great place to work. Everyone is so friendly and they really make you feel at ease.
     - Customer focused
     - Career progression
     - The little things - Free parking, tea, coffee and fruit!

Cons

There is nothing major that comes to mind other than, the system that we are currently using isn't user friendly.

Mar 8, 2017 – Chief Marketing Officer

Thanks for taking the time to post a review and for outlining some of the positives in working at HomeServe. I think it's a great place to be and we do a lot of work to ensure we're doing the right ... More