HomeServe UK Reviews | Glassdoor

4.4
HomeServe UK CEO Greg Reed
Greg Reed

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "There are too many pros to list - its just generally a great place to work" (in 62 reviews)

• "Everyone is valued and you feel you can really make a difference" (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • "No cons for me I love everything about homeserve" (in 26 reviews)

• "There is no work/life balance anymore" (in 11 reviews)

"getting better"

Current Employee - Head of Marketing in Walsall, PA
    Current Employee - Head of Marketing in Walsall, PA

I have been working at HomeServe UK full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

role modelling of behaviors and values, investment in training, general levels of moral, share scheme

Cons

Walsall, variation in salaries, top heavy structure, decisions by committee

Advice to Management

Encourage openness and honesty, engagement surveys shouldn't be a competition

""Even the smallest steps move you forward""

Current Employee - Team Lead/Manager in Preston, North West England, England (UK)

I have been working at HomeServe UK full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Amazing people
    Excellent senior managers
    Caring environment
    Respectful behaviours
    Career opportunities
    Apprentice opportunities

Cons

Communication in some areas
    Shift flexibility

Advice to Management

"People are definitely a company's greatest asset. It doesn't make a difference whether the product is cars, cosmetics, or insurance. A company is only as good as the people it keeps" Thank you to Vicki McGurke for making the environment and our motivation so positive in order to lead our people with the same motivation and positivity.
    It is very easy to point the finger at senior managers and directors when performance is where not where it needs to be amongst individual teams. However, it is up to us as great leaders in Homeserve to change this for the better. Homeserve have committed to the people behaviours for many years now and we are dedicated to achieving the best for our customers and colleagues.
    Homeserve have provided many leadership course which have enabled managers to become great leaders.
    Homeserve have invested in many new technology systems throughout the network to support and help front-line in making their daily duties easier.
    Vicki has been a breath of fresh air since she arrived into the business. A leader like myself who has been with Homeserve for many years has never received such positive motivational recognition which has enabled my abilities to shine further with my team and peers and within the business.

With this in mind no other company compares to the values Homeserve trains and implements to its employees. What is done with those values is then up to the leaders who lead some amazing teams that are currently working hard to achieve their best yet.
    A special thanks to Gareth Hanmer for consistently thinking about the front-line employees, an amazing director who keeps to his word.

"More More More"

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Wolverhampton, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Wolverhampton, England (UK)

I have been working at HomeServe UK full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people, the 'frontline' honest hard working people, the engineers, the safety staff, the all preston people, Banbury people too

Cons

The Directors are out to destroy everyone and everything to make money, which is what shareholders want to hear, but it means working 2 or 3 peoples jobs to make money burn you out and then, and this is the point get rid which they always do before the end of the financial year, its coming everyone knows it, like a spot on a date you know its coming but not where! We end up hiring in April cheaper people to break until the end of the year and repeat, cheap, cheap leadership, no real heart a veneer care with stuff everyone at the center.

Advice to Management

really live the values you promote rather than making it look good, so so so much male cow droppings, real people with real lives work there and you really do use and abuse them (us)
    If you don't kiss your bosses behind you wont be here long

Feb 7, 2019 – Chief Operating Officer

Thank you for your review. It’s a really great point you make about how good our Frontline is and I would wholeheartedly agree with this. And while I absolutely respect your opinion, I don’t agree... More

4. "Amazing company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Walsall, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Walsall, England (UK)

I have been working at HomeServe UK full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Home / work balance is just right

Cons

Budget tight can be difficukt

Jan 31, 2019 – HomeServe Team

Thanks for the great review!

"A car crash waiting to happen"

Current Employee - Team Manager in Preston, North West England, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Team Manager in Preston, North West England, England (UK)

I have been working at HomeServe UK full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

1. The team members across the business are generaly great people to work with
    2. Share save plan

Cons

When I joined Homeserve I immediately sensed a warm working atmosphere with people leading in the right way. There were targets to meet like any organization has but now the workload has become nothing short of outrageous. I am no longer rewarded for the extra effort I give having had my bonus taken away from me permanently. However, I am expected to run assessment centres without being awarded overtime or time off in lieu. There is an overwhelming sense of victimization here with popular, timeserved and professional people not being given essential support. If you happen to be away from work due to long term sickness, the return to work is regarded as something to be looked down upon. The answer to this? Recruit and employ more robust staff. In an age of technology, the various processes aren't built into the IT systems and there is a heavy reliance on spreadsheets. Despite experience and talent, there is a trend from senior management to treat team managers and advisers as inept, unqualified and almost like this is the first job since coming out of school. Core people values have taken a back seat and Preston has definitely become a unit without any care - probably because there is no courage. It is impossible to submit good ideas to a point of contact as these will be dismissed - an inept system of review stops the implementation of some good ideas that would help both advisers and customers. Scheduling rotas has become dire with many rotas being rehashed at short notice. There is no work/life balance anymore

Advice to Management

Listen to your people
    Stop being negative and vindictive
    Show compassion

Feb 7, 2019 – Claims Director

Hi and thanks very much for your review. There are a lot of points here, probably too many to address in this response and definitely better addressed by a conversation because that would help me to... More

6. "admin"

Current Employee - Administrative in Dudley, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Administrative in Dudley, England (UK)

I have been working at HomeServe UK full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Its busy and workers are helpful

Cons

busy at middle of the year

Jan 4, 2019 – HomeServe Team

Thanks for the review!

"Some changes are definitely for the better"

Current Employee - Claims Team Manager in Preston, North West England, England (UK)

I have been working at HomeServe UK full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

As an experienced Claims Team Manager I have recently joined the team under the new OM Vicky.

I have to say this is the first time I have felt valued, and felt as though I belong to a team. Our OM comes into Team meetings, has 1-2-1 with any member of staff including those across any team.

We have been given really motivation and competitive edge to how we deliver SLA’s and only focus on a few metrics across the team, which enable us to meet the metrics very easily.
    As Team managers everyone has a lead area, which means we are working really closely together as a wider team, and have each other’s backs when we need a lift.

Teams are feeling great, and everyone feels equally respected and valued across agents and other managers.

Thai is a great time to join HomeServe.

Cons

My only cons are that all the OMs and Team Managers are not consistent and need to look at what is working and emulate it.
    This isn’t meant in a nasty way to other OMs but perception speaks volumes.

Advice to Management

You gave the engagement lead to one OM for a reason, this is the way operations should be led!

Nov 6, 2018 – HomeServe Team

Thank you for the great review!

"1st Class Company"

Current Employee - CLAIMS ADVISOR in Preston, North West England, England (UK)
    Current Employee - CLAIMS ADVISOR in Preston, North West England, England (UK)

I have been working at HomeServe UK full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Strong management team. Which over the last few months has been added to by the outstanding Vicky McGurk. Who has made a real difference and had a positive impact on the centre.

Cons

Not all managers are as consistent as others.

"Not what it used to be"

I have been working at HomeServe UK full-time

Pros

Good benefits and the office is being refurbished to a very high standard so we have somewhere nice to work

Cons

The OMs are a mixed bunch and the TMs are terrible. I don't get any development and TM focuses on the negative. Would it kill you to give some praise?

Advice to Management

Martin Bennett used to say it was the people that made the business great but this belief seems to have left the company along with him.

Nov 13, 2018 – Director of Claims

Thanks for your review. I'm taking a punt here that you are in Preston because you've referenced the refurbishment that our offices are currently having. If I'm wrong, please let me know however, if... More

"Still a Great Company to work for"

Current Employee - Director in Walsall, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Director in Walsall, England (UK)

I have been working at HomeServe UK full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Strong sense of vision and values, people and customer promises at the forefront of everything we do. Everyone is valued and you feel you can really make a difference. It is extremely busy and there is a high expectation that change and new projects will be absorbed within current resource as we grow and add new policy books and partners. To be successful in Homeserve you need to be able to balance many priorities.

Cons

Many departments are siloed, working on their own objectives at a different pace to other departments which can cause some challenges. The root cause is often that systems are not robust enough to cope with the plethora of changes we throw at them and we have to find manual workarounds which are painful. This also means that teams often are working below the level they expect. There is major investment in systems so this is improving, especially now that we recognise that projects should be more agile and deliver regularly.

Advice to Management

There is more focus on strategy now and a clearer direction with regular director meetings which we can share with our teams. The focus on diversity and inclusion is great and not before time, however we need to be conscious not to positively discriminate and still ensure a meritocracy.