HomeServe UK Reviews | Glassdoor

4.4
HomeServe UK CEO Greg Reed
Greg Reed

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "There are too many pros to list - its just generally a great place to work" (in 63 reviews)

• "it's a place where anyone with a mind to can make a difference" (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • "No cons for me I love everything about homeserve" (in 26 reviews)

• "Due to being under resourced the work life balance is affected" (in 10 reviews)

"getting better"

Current Employee - Head of Marketing in Walsall, PA
    Current Employee - Head of Marketing in Walsall, PA

I have been working at HomeServe UK full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

role modelling of behaviors and values, investment in training, general levels of moral, share scheme

Cons

Walsall, variation in salaries, top heavy structure, decisions by committee

Advice to Management

Encourage openness and honesty, engagement surveys shouldn't be a competition

2. "Working in the Contractor Network Team"

Current Employee - Contractor Network Team in Preston, North West England, England (UK)

I have been working at HomeServe UK full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working in the network team is fantastic. Having been in HomeServe for about 5 Years this is the best team to work in by far. A great bunch of people who work hard every day to make sure customers get the best service we can deliver. Even when things dont go to plan the Service Watch team do a fantastic job sorting out what ever issues we have to improve the customer experience. Its so rewarding knowing every one from the Director down to the front line are all working together to do the very best we can with our contractor Network to make our people and our customers day a better day than it would without us. I would rate this as one of the best teams and best places to work in Homeserve.

Cons

Its hard work but rewarding and the Network team does not always get the recognition it deserves. When all else fails or like in the Bast for the East its this team that picks up all the difficult issues to find a solution but thats what makes it rewarding

Advice to Management

Give the Network team and its managers the recognition and support it deserves all year round as it is one of the things that makes Homeserve the great company and place to work today and every day

"Had some tough times recently, but new Senior Leadership recently is truly outstanding!"

Current Employee - Customer Service Agent in Preston, North West England, England (UK)

I have been working at HomeServe UK full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have worked for Homeserve in Claims, Preston for 20 months, and its always been a job i have found to be okay. All of my colleagues are what make it great and I have made some amazing friends.
    Team Managers are generally really nice, although they seem really stressed.
    The office is nice and bright and i and my co-workers feel relaxed and happy, but always under pressure to do the right thing for the customers, while keeping an eye on our stats.

We have had a new senior manager about 3 months ago, who takes calls!... I helped her with a call she was taking a few weeks ago, when she sat next to me, and she is really down to earth and is a real people person, i felt comfortable to talk to her and she has helped me personally with a situation, that i thought i could not get through.
    Recently I have felt treated so well, and like an equal human being, that I would literally help her out any way that I could and go the extra 100 miles for her.
    I cant thank her enough.

Cons

The other Senior Managers are daunting, and the middle of the room is generally unapproachable. We often hear everything that's going on and the managers criticising other staff. This is probably the only thing I would change, sometimes feel like there is a bit of a storm cloud in the middle of the floor.

During Winter, it was really tough, for everyone and I asked one of the senior managers for some advice and she looked like she had steam blowing through her nose, and blasted at me for asking her. Needless to say I have never approached her again, and I think this is how most staff feel.

Things do seem to be getting better though.

Advice to Management

Dont have conversations about staff and other teams in front of everyone.
    2 Senior Managers recently really upset one of my friends, talking about how they did their job.

4. "Out of hours"

Current Employee - Team Manager in Preston, North West England, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Team Manager in Preston, North West England, England (UK)

I have been working at HomeServe UK part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have been with the company over 11 years and been a team manager for 12 months. I want to thank my senior manager Karen for all the support she has given me over the last 6 months she has kept me motivated in hard times,helped me progress within my role by staying late to catch up with me,coach and support me and to just check on my well being. I love working the out of hours as we all pull together and work as one big team living by the homeserve people values.

Cons

sometimes it can seem like a 9 till 5 business rather than 24 hours

Advice to Management

Bring back the 5pm buzz meeting so we can have an official handover from days to evenings. Including RP and a senior manager as well as team managers on shift.

5. "HomeServe Claims OOH"

Current Employee - Claims Manager in Preston, North West England, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Claims Manager in Preston, North West England, England (UK)

I have been working at HomeServe UK full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I've been with the company nearly 12 years, started as a 'stop gap' whilst trying to figure out my personal career plan and i’m still here now!!
    In this time i've seen HomeServe have its ups and downs and always pull through the other side stronger than ever.
    If you want to progress your career here, you can. I’ve worked in Claims, Customer Relations and Operational Support. I have also moved up the ranks from Claims, to Lead Agent and now Claims Manager.
    Working ooh, times can be tough but it makes it easier when you have a good supporting manager which is what I have.
    I can email my reporting Manager Karen late at night with a query or concern and 9 times out of 10 get a response whilst still on the same shift, even though she may have already worked more than a normal 8/9 hour day, that day.
    I have also had to approach my reporting Manager about some personal issues going on outside of work and have received nothing but support and understanding.
    I have been an OOH Manager for over 6 years and the atmosphere is great. The teams work with each other, if someone needs help they know which person to turn to depending on their strength/skill and are never turned away when they need support.
    Being able to nominate another employee (regardless of area of business) for a Star Award which ranges from a £5 to £100 award based on our People Values. I have done a few of these now and its just as rewarding giving as it is for the recipient.
    Other pro's, equipped kitchen to use ooh, PeopleServe, Smart tech, Socialites, a free pool table to name just a few.

Cons

Communication can sometimes lack depending on which Department the message is coming from.
    It can be tough arranging training for our ooh People when they cannot commit outside their normal working hours due to life/home commitments

Advice to Management

Individually we are one drop but together we are an ocean
    **Quote by Ryunosuke Satoro**

Sep 14, 2018 – HomeServe UK Team

Thanks so much for your review.

It's great that you have been able to take advantage of all the opportunities at HomeServe and that you have felt comfortable, challenged and engaged enough to... More

6. "If you were to open me up, it would say HomeServe right through the middle"

Current Employee - Ex Gas Engineer in Preston, North West England, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Ex Gas Engineer in Preston, North West England, England (UK)

I have been working at HomeServe UK full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been at HomeServe for just under 2 years having come from a couple of smaller companies and running my own business. The big company culture was a massive shock to me but a welcome one. I came on as a Gas Engineer and was suckered into the people promises and customer charter straight from the induction.

Two years down the line I have been fortunate enough to be an SME on many different projects, deliver engineer training and have landed my first promotion in a totally new and exciting business area away from the tools, something I didn't ever think was possible.

I believe the pay and benefits is more than fair. I truly believe you get out what you put in. There are instances where you may have to work a little bit later but it is swings and roundabouts as you will then finish early on most days. If you want to chase the money then the opportunities are available as a Gas Engineer as you can work away and do extremely well for yourself. If you want to stay at home and do minimal overtime then that is also fine, in most cases you are measured on the quality of your work rather than the speed you are doing it.

There is job progression available if you can show you are willing to go the extra mile for the customers and the business. Success isn't always earned 9-5. The business provides multiple talent development courses for its people and then content is excellent. HomeServe have shifted the scales to investing in their people rather than outsourcing talent. This is the first place I have worked where you can approach anybody in the business and ask them to mentor you. I have been fortunate enough to receive mentoring off many different people within the business, especially from my new manager. I have a totally different perspective and skillset due to my personal development while at HomeServe.

I believe there is a fair amount of transparency within the business. Employee's are encouraged to give their opinions and complaints via the internal social media platform. ANYBODY can book a 121 with the CEO Greg Reed and talk about their issues and ask for advice. The leaders do care about the the thoughts of the rest of the business, but that doesn't mean they don't have tough decisions to make and not everybody will be happy with the result.

I have been treated well during my time with the business and I truly believe we have a bright future under the current leadership. The number one thing about the business is it's people. I have made some great friends along the way and cannot wait to see what the future holds.

Cons

I personally do not have any complaints. I believe with this business you get out what you put in.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Keep searching for and investing in the talent within the business, you are doing a great job and your people believe in you.

Aug 22, 2018 – Communications

Thank you for taking the time to post such a detailed review!

7. "Great opportunities for career progression"

I have been working at HomeServe UK full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

If your passionate about your job and want to progress your career then Homeserve is the place.

Cons

Nothing negative to say about this place.

Advice to Management

More of the same please.

Aug 22, 2018 – Communications

Awesome! Thanks for a terrific review. And congratulations on 10 years' service!

8. "Great place to work"

I have been working at HomeServe UK full-time

Pros

For anyone thinking of applying, I certainly would. You don't come across many employers like HomeServe - everyone has a can-do attitude and really cares about the brand.

Key
    • Flexible working
    • Good pay
    • On-site car parking
    • Offices all over the UK now

Cons

• The canteen food could be a little better

Aug 17, 2018 – Communications

Thanks for the great review!

9. "Highly recommended"

Current Employee - Manager in Walsall, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Manager in Walsall, England (UK)

I have been working at HomeServe UK full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Open door policy from CEO and Directors, investment in Learning & Development, importance of engagement and recognition is well acknowledged, free car parking, promotion and career stretch available for those who work hard, show capability, commitment & flexibility.

Cons

The car park and toilets are pretty rubbish.
    Very few senior female role models.
    Some people are overworked and teetering on burn out.

Advice to Management

Keep at it, doing a great job. We have real confidence in the new CEO.

Aug 17, 2018 – Communications

Thanks for the recommendation.

10. "No place like it!"

I have been working at HomeServe UK full-time

Pros

There are so many reasons why I love working at HomeServe but I have to admit that it's very difficult to put into words. The reason for this is that there is an indescribable atmosphere and culture at HomeServe that make it a struggle to do the place justice in one simple paragraph or list of pro's! Here are just a few...

- There are lots of organisations that claim the customer comes first. HomeServe don't just make this claim but they live by it and I'm so proud to work for a company that allows me to see them putting the customer first on a daily basis.
    - Everyone is willing to help each other and clearly wants to work together for the good of the customer and the business.
    - I have never worked anywhere where I have had such a strong and inspirational network around me. People that encourage you to question the as is and empower you to make things better.
    - There is a definite opportunity to progress, if you want to.
    - Great benefits and flexible working
    - Access to the leaders, where else can you have a 121 with the CEO?!
    - The opportunity to make a real difference!

Cons

- There are no cons from me

Advice to Management

- I love working at HomeServe so all I would say is keep going with what you're doing and continue in that direction as things can only get even better!

Aug 15, 2018 – Communications

Thank you for taking the time to post a review! We're chuffed you love it here, we do too!