Homebase Limited Reviews in Basingstoke, England | Glassdoor

Basingstoke, England (UK)

3.2
John Gillam

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Staff discount comes in handy at 20% (in 15 reviews)

• Friendly staff, good support network (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Having to hit ridiculous targets from head office (which filters down all the way to the shop floor staff) (in 7 reviews)

• Some members of staff should not have their jobs (in 4 reviews)

"Really excellent employers"

Former Employee - General Assistant in Basingstoke, England (UK)
    Former Employee - General Assistant in Basingstoke, England (UK)

I worked at Homebase Limited part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people made working at homebase very enjoyable. I worked there for many years and I met lot of brilliant people. No two days were the same. Prior to working there full time I also did work experience there. I worked on the tills initially and moved all around the store after.

Cons

My one critism would be at one point I was working full time hours but I was still technically part time. At one stage I wanted a bank holiday off but I was denied it.

This is a small thing but worth considering leave times and the bigger picture.

"Branch Manager designate 6 months of hell"

Former Employee - Branch Manager in Basingstoke, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in Basingstoke, England (UK)

I worked at Homebase Limited full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some great people let down by a terrible company! 10 years behind the curve and in grave danger of not existing

Cons

Senior Branch management are dinosaurs, a campaign called "why change" was launched during my time and this was designed to enlighten and enhance the management population it should have been called "can't change" these people have no why, they have no purpose, the would know leadership of it got up and kicked them in the house or home!
    Little or no incentive for any other colleague other than showroom
    Understaffed and over worked, 50 pallet garden furniture delivers expected to be completed by 2 colleagues
    They have a saying about being customer obsessed and yet they don't want to talk to customer and customer is clearly not the first on the agenda
    I would never wish the colleagues out of a job, but I would some of the senior Branch Managers who sit in there office all day creaming in there 50k thinking they are omnipatant

Advice to Management

Try and remember why you get up everyday and don't say money! Money is the result of work it shouldn't be your purpose!
    Everything you say and do proves what you believe

3. "Is full of learning opportunities"

Current Employee - Operations Assistant in Basingstoke, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Operations Assistant in Basingstoke, England (UK)

I have been working at Homebase Limited part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It is a great company to work for in terms of the opportunities that can arise. You can pick up a number of skills which become useful. You learn so much about how shops run behind the scenes as well as out the front. Staff discount. The staff events. Fundraising efforts.

Cons

The fact that some of our benefits have been taken away e.g. the latest was the bank holiday premiums that the longer serving employees received was cut.

Advice to Management

Consider promotions and possible prices of products. Especially now there is a cheaper tool store *AXMISTER* across the road from your Basingstoke store and soon there is a *Bargain home furnishings shop opening right opposite too.