Homebase Limited Sales Assistant Reviews | Glassdoor

Homebase Limited Sales Assistant Reviews

Updated 25 Jul 2019

2.7
Homebase Limited CEO Damian Mcgloughlin (no image)
Damian Mcgloughlin
  1. "Generally good"

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Stockport, England

I have been working at Homebase Limited full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Ownership of department and independence to run as desired within trading plans

Cons

Little to no progression Communication from management could do with improvement No summer uniforms so it is very sticky in hot weather due to all black uniform and aprons mandatory

Advice to Management

More clear communication would help in giving direction to staff - store manager doing a good job of keeping us up to date and providing some objectives

Homebase Limited2019-07-25
  2. "Can be very very boring"

Current Employee - Sales Assistant

I have been working at Homebase Limited part-time for more than a year

Pros

Good flexible hours Friendly colleagues Relaxed environment

Cons

Very unorganised, stressful environment, bad pay

Homebase Limited2019-02-15
  3. "Homebase"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Selby, England

I worked at Homebase Limited part-time for more than a year

Pros

Good environment, lots of different jobs to do, training given on anything if you ask for it such as paint mixing and help desk, variety of different ages so its easy to get along with everyone, if you need over time its very easy to get, management very good when needing holidays or time off unless its during festival season or the Christmas period. Very concerned for their staff and helpful.

Cons

Very hard to get time off in August, however if you can cover the shift then it is usually okay but you need to arrange it yourself. Can be very busy during sunny days so would only wokr there if you can cope in busy/stressful times.

Homebase Limited2018-08-08
  4. "Sales Assistant"

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Aberdeen, Scotland

I have been working at Homebase Limited part-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible hours and good pay

Cons

Terrible at doing rotas so dont know when you're working the next week

Advice to Management

Plan rotas 2 weeks in advance

Homebase Limited2017-12-01
  5. "Pleasant, easygoing atmosphere and flexible hours"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant

I worked at Homebase Limited part-time for more than a year

Pros

All staff members get a 20% discount in all Homebase stores and a 10% discount at Argos stores (the latter was put to far more use than the former). A big part of the motivation of the staff is to be happy and pleasant, to give customers an enjoyable experience which, while a bit draining can lead to an all-round pleasant atmosphere for everyone. Managers were flexible when assigning hours and could easily... reconfigure the timetable. Received training to operate the store's forklift and not only did I not have to pay to become licensed, I was even paid in full for the three days I was in training/testing. Paid 1.5x normal rate on Sundays, and 2x normal rate on bank holiday Monday's. Contract was 10hr+, meaning I could always be sure to get 10 hours a week but this was expanded as far as I was willing, so at my most leisurely time, I was working between 30-40 hours a week on what was supposedly a 10 hour contract.

Cons

Lots of products that you're expected to have an intricate knowledge of (especially since I was working with the plants in the garden centre) with very little attention paid to training. All knowledge of horticulture had to basically be picked up from asking my colleagues for help. Didn't receive an actual uniform for months and was stuck wearing black Penney's clothes. Never received proper work boots as I was... supposed to, so I had to just buy a €20 pair from Lidl. The whole uniform ordering stuff apparently is an awful process that almost never works properly. I was given shifts throughout the weeks of my college exams, even forcing me to drive straight from an exam to work a 4-hour shift, even though I had another exam the following morning. This was after giving my manager considerable notice of the exam timetable in the hopes that she'd give me as few hours as possible.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to educating your new employees about the products, rather than general store etiquette. I was made complete an online course on OpenDoor that would supposedly educate me on how to do my job but it didn't give me any information about the horticultural stuff I was constantly being asked about in the garden centre. Because of this, all of my education was taken straight from Google searches,... assumptions from what I've intuited from reading the plant labels and queries to my colleagues (who were presumably doing the former two things to get their knowledge). Also this OpenDoor training bit was only ever mentioned months after me having been working there.

Homebase Limited2017-11-21

"Stressful"

Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Aylesbury, England

I have been working at Homebase Limited part-time for more than a year

Pros

Co-workers are always friendly Flexible shift is a big bonus Pay could be a lot worse. Staff discount comes in handy at 20%

Cons

Horrendous management Messy store Poor organisation 0 communication within the store Boring and repetitive jobs Stressful to hit targets , especially having to deal with things that are not related to them.

Advice to Management

Staff needs proper training and more praise/recognition from hardworking staff. A look at how they manage hardly any support from management

Homebase Limited2017-10-18
  7. "Target driven environment"

Sales Assistant in Dunfermline, Scotland

I worked at Homebase Limited

Pros

Flexible hours suited for a student On-site training is excellent

Cons

Very target-driven environment Lack of overtime

Advice to Management

Distribute targets more evenly among floor staff

Homebase Limited2017-06-19
  8. "Great if you're over 18, young workers are taken advantage of."

Current Employee - Replenishment Sales Assistant

I have been working at Homebase Limited part-time for less than a year

Pros

Set shifts, I always work the same days and the same hours. Nearly always overtime available if you want it.

Cons

Loads of stock, always pressured to work as much stock as possible. £5.20/hr for under 18s compared to around £7.20+ for everybody else in the store, yet they expect and you do the same work. Stupid things that shouldn't happen, a pallet of 20 lawnmowers doesn't show up for delivery then customers are wondering why online it says we have 20.

Advice to Management

Try to treat your staff better, maybe random benefits for staff once in a while, or better wages for young workers.

Homebase Limited2017-05-07

"Alright"

Sales Assistant

I have been working at Homebase Limited

Pros

Staff Discount, Friendly Colleagues, Easy Job,

Cons

Bad Management, Not Staff Friendly Care too much about making money than staff welfare

Homebase Limited2016-10-16

"Went downhill fast"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Broadstairs, England

I worked at Homebase Limited full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Colleagues and money are just about the only thing worth staying there for its good for the first bit but then you notice the cracks

Cons

Poor management very two faced and clicky colleagues there is a one rule for them and do what your told policy

Advice to Management

Treat your staff better

Homebase Limited2016-02-25