Homeowners Choice Property & Casualty Insurance Company Reviews | Glassdoor

Homeowners Choice Property & Casualty Insurance Company Reviews

Updated December 14, 2017

Full-timePart-time

4.3
Homeowners Choice Property & Casualty Insurance Company Chairman and CEO Paresh Patel
Paresh Patel

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Excellent Company to Work For!"

Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Homeowners Choice Property & Casualty Insurance Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

HCI is one of the best companies I have ever worked for! They have great salaries, 100% (employee only portion) paid health insurance, flexible hours (some people in our department come in as early as 6 and leave by 3), they don't micro manage, during the month end process we never have to work any overtime or weekends. Best part is we get annual bonuses along with profit sharing. Profit sharing is paid out to every single employee! The CEO and President is an incredible leader who cares about his employees and makes the office environment fun with constant parties, prizes that include tickets to our suite at Amalie Arena, etc.

Cons

Only thing I would like to see improved upon is the ability of working from home. Many companies are going in that direction and allowing their employees to work from home, having this option would retain more employees as an added perk.
    Also, the paid holidays could be better as most companies have an average of 10 paid holidays compared to 7 at HCI.

Advice to Management

Great company to work for, with a few added benefits it would definitely be one of, if not thee best company to work for in the Tampa Bay!

2. "Loved working at HCPCI, great Management and loved VP of Claims Dept"

Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Tampa, FL

I worked at Homeowners Choice Property & Casualty Insurance Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Supervisor (JP), always gave Thank you's for doing a good job.

Cons

No Cons, Things got busy and work load got heavy but management would get you help.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

3. "Examiner"

Former Employee - Claims Examiner in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Claims Examiner in Tampa, FL

Pros

A few of the supervisors were nice, and actually cared about their employees. Pay was fair; however, the case loads were a bit high.

Cons

The constant hiring and firing of temps was frustrating. Too much red tape and BS to wade through to get anything approved or completed. Disconnected and aloof senior management. Constant shuffling of teams was annoying.

Also, don't get sick. They fired me the moment my FMLA ran out after being diagnosed with cancer.

Advice to Management

Don't fire people with illnesses as soon as the FMLA runs out. They will eventually get better.

4. "Excellent Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Homeowners Choice Property & Casualty Insurance Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Salary, Bonus, Benefits and Stock Awards! Lots of Employee Perks

Cons

Annual Raises are on the low side

Advice to Management

Do away with performance reviews - less meaning now.

5. "Amazing Company"

Pros

Benefits, management, work load, hours available.

Cons

None - this company is great.

6. "Great Company, Great Employer!"

Pros

I really enjoy working for Homeowners Choice. It's a great company with a great group of people. They care not only about their clients, but also about their employees and the surrounding communities all over Tampa as well.

Cons

It's hard to list any cons. I actually enjoy getting up and coming in to work, which is something I haven't always been able to say about previous employers. There are always going to be good days and bad days, we're human after all, but I would say at Homeowners Choice the good by far outweighs the negative.

7. "Client Services"

Pros

The usual benefits such as PTO, 401K, Health and Life.

Cons

The call center is micromanaged with unrealistic expectations. Management needs to take come managerial courses to learn how to be a leader. This way subordinates are not constantly being degraded and instead are lifted to do their best. This is why there is a high turnover of employees were worked hard to provide excellent service to the customers.

8. "Outstanding Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I worked at Homeowners Choice Property & Casualty Insurance Company full-time

Pros

This company values each employee as an individual, benefits package, and makes it a point to involve themselves with the outside community and build a community/culture within their own walls.

Cons

My life changed dramatically during my time with this company and I wish there were more flexible hours/schedule for employees.

Advice to Management

Continue to keep your heart and mind curious for ways to better your departments and company as a whole, you are doing great!

"HCI Group - Finance Department! - BEST COMPANY I HAVE EVER WORKED FOR!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Homeowners Choice Property & Casualty Insurance Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is the best job I have ever had! Management encourages every employee to get involved in other areas of the finance department that they are interested in, promotions are given very quickly. Average length of an employee there is at least 5 years, which speaks volume! 100% paid employer benefits!!!!! Yes, ALL BENEFITS (medical, vision, dental, STD, LTD, etc.)! Everybody gets along and is incredibly helpful. I wouldn't look further, get your foot in the door, it is THE BEST PLACE TO WORK FOR IN THE TAMPA BAY AREA PERIOD!!!!! Best part is they don't believe in working late! Each employee works 40 hours a week (45 max, which is rare!) EVEN DURING MONTH END! Nobody stays late!!!!! If employees start getting overwhelmed, they hire more people to alleviate the job load from overwhelmed employees. The CEO is an incredibly smart man who always delivers on every promise he makes. He is very liked throughout the entire organization.

Cons

PTO Benefits! Competitors offer better PTO Benefits that include not just PTO accrual, but also sick and personal days. Also, you only offer 6 paid holidays, not the industry average (which is 9 to 12). Other than that, can't complain about anything else!

Advice to Management

Improve the PTO & Holiday bank and there won't be a competition in town! LOVE THIS PLACE!

10. "Excellent Experience"

Pros

Inviting atmosphere. Thorough training. Great management. People there are extremely supportive and have kept in touch even after I left.

Cons

Can't think of any, I had a great experience. I can't speak to full time positions, as I was an intern, but they were a pleasure to work for.