Honda Aircraft Company Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Michimasa Fujino

Pros
  • Benefits are great if you ever get to the point where you receive them (in 7 reviews)

• Pay and benefits are commensurate with title and experience, and is on the higher end of what you would expect for the Greensboro area (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Mandatory overtime, reaction based problem solving keeps everyone on edge, never knowing who is going to get pulled to work problem areas (in 4 reviews)

• No one has the brass to stand up for their employees (in 4 reviews)

1. "Technician"

Current Employee - Technician in Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Technician in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at Honda Aircraft Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are good and friendly and polite

Cons

Hours are crazy and workload vs time to get it done sucks

Advice to Management

More flexability and less micromanagement

"Great company to work all the OT you want."

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Greensboro, NC
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Greensboro, NC

I worked at Honda Aircraft Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Clean and new state of the art facilities. Most of the employees are eager to work with you and help you succeed. Great benefits!

Cons

Do not go to work here if you want to have a life outside of Honda Aircraft Company. You are looked down upon and do not receive a good review if you are not eager to support all overtime. Senior Management is a complete joke and can not take constructive criticism. Honda has a Philosophy, basically 10 rules to live by as you work with this company. Most of the employees can and do try to abide by this. Senior management not so much. One that sticks out to me is respect for the individual. If management actually respected the individual they would notice that is the main reason over 30 people a week were leaving this company when I left. If you do not mind getting run over and treated like a number this is the place for you. After 7 years I had enough.

Advice to Management

Live by the philosophy...Listen to criticism.

"Great Place To Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at Honda Aircraft Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great career opportunities if you work hard and have a good attitude. Co-workers are very helpful and I am proud to be apart of this company

Cons

Nothing bad to say about Honda.

5. "Great company with going up"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at Honda Aircraft Company (More than 8 years)

Pros

This is a growing company that works to bring it's employees up the chain as it grows. They have multiple programs for employee input and they listen to sound concerns

Cons

Have to go through politics to be heard

"If you are in need of money and you are not interested in a career, this place is for you."

Former Employee - Senior Buyer in Greensboro, NC
    Former Employee - Senior Buyer in Greensboro, NC

I worked at Honda Aircraft Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

New facility
    Has AC and heat on production floor
    401 K match is good
    Health benefits are good
    Pays overtime for salary people

Cons

Procurement managers have no experience and are running off employees due to stupid decision making.
    The lack of basic principles of how a procurement department should be set up are astonishing.
    Managers are just collecting a paycheck and are doing nothing to retain employees or address issues that would be beneficial to the supply chain.

ABSOLUTELY a dead end job. They will hire you as a buyer, only to be an expediter for the rest of your time at Honda.
    Raises are a joke and promotions are so rare that they are like unicorns.

Advice to Management

Find another career and let someone who has a clue on how to run a supply chain have a run at it. Give up the ghost!

"Wonderful place to work"

Current Employee - Aircraft Assembler in Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Aircraft Assembler in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at Honda Aircraft Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Clean work facility and restrooms as well as clean cafeterias and break rooms. Very safety conscious place to work. If you work hard there is plenty of room for advancement. Never mind what others have said, everyone including women and minority's have as much opportunity as everyone else and maybe more. Never mind what others have wrote, you are not micro managed. You work at your own pace but you have stay busy! If you want to work overtime you can work all you want which of course means larger paychecks. As there is everywhere, there are issues and when you employ 2000 people plus, you are going to have unsolved issues. A lot of the reviews I have personally read on here are absolutely false and I blame those on lazy, worthless, self centered, lying, manipulative people. If you are a piece of garbage and everyone knows it then you won't have a positive art towards your employer because I'm sure they don't have one of you!

Cons

People are allowed to do very little throughout the day when others are working hard. However, Honda will let you hang yourself.

Advice to Management

Understand that lot of us do love our jobs, and Honda does mean something to a lot of us. A lot of us do take pride in building Honda the best Jets on the market. Weed through and find us and shorten the time for conversions. All of us there are not on a traveling road show and do plan on being there until we retire.

"Diversity remains to be desirable"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pilot Mountain, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pilot Mountain, NC

I worked at Honda Aircraft Company full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Facility and most people are friendly. Most people really try to do their best and want the company to succeed

Cons

If you are a women, Hispanic or Black stay away. Very little diversity in many areas and if you make it to management forget about being empowered unless you kiss a lot of tails. For what it's worth no minority feels empowered which is not good for the future but I guess it's no different then any other company. Recently posted on tweeter showing women of diversity at Honda but no black women were asked to participate. A Latino runs the quality department but is second guessed on all decisions. One black senior manager in all of Honda aircraft who doesn't have any power and two women senior managers who are powerless and intimidated by others as well.

Advice to Management

Live up to the diversity takes about and empower diverse leaders to influence. Oppression in a new age form others see this and are concerned

"Doesn't live up to the hype"

Current Employee - Aircraft Technician in Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Aircraft Technician in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at Honda Aircraft Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Climate controlled environment always 72 degrees
    Well-lit work area.
    Most of the tools you need are on the floor.
    Techs on the floor are great and make up for managements stupidity.
    Guaranteed 40hr work week.
        One manager who is trying to help Vinny.

Cons

Management has no clue how this plane is built.
    Management will lie to its employees in a heart beat.
    Management has lied to Mr. Fujino just so they save face.
    No chance for promotion.

Advice to Management

Upper Management needs to be changed with the exception of Vinny. He is doing all he can to improve the work problems but is being blocked by the mangers who are under him. Most of the managers have come from other aircraft company’s that they have already been run into the ground. I have even heard tales of one manager telling a tech that it was best that his one month old baby girl had died. Now that’s a good manager. They have no clue what goes into the build of this plane. I would really like for them to come to the floor and actually work some of the jobs that we do and see some of the issues we run into on a daily basis. It seems that management is not happy unless all techs are working overtime. One area seems to have really cleaned up the work flow process and is not working OT at this time, but I hear that management wants to change that. I hope that we can get our positions in check, I am tired of the OT.
        Design group: This group thinks that their stuff doesn’t stink, they are wrong. They sit up in their ivory tower and make design decisions and don’t look at the big picture nor do they consult with their counter parts to see if what they are doing will interfere with other systems on the plane. They will very rarely come down to the floor to check on their projects and talk to the techs. This group should have been sitting on the floor as the first plane were being built and worked with the techs to make it an easier build. This plane will be a maintenance nightmare I’m glad that I no longer work in a MRO.

Engineering: This group, who is responsible for QN’s and trying to direct the techs on the floor how to fix mistakes, will not get out of their seats to go look at the problem. Instead they will look at pictures, that rarely show the problems, and then send the QN back to the floor for more info. I know it’s a big building but get off your butt and walk out to the floor and ask some questions. It would make the QN’s go so much smoother.
        Quality Control: This group needs a little help. Not all of QC inspectors are on the same page with their inspection steps. They need more inspectors that know the build of the plane.
        Supervisors/Leads: Most of the people in this group are nothing more buy yes men. They have been selected based on how much they kiss butt and how fast they can move the planes from position to position or out the door. Some of them have been known to carry torque strip in their pockets so if a part needs to come off the plane after it has been inspected they can come back behind the tech and torque strip the fasteners as if nothing has happened. Management knows of this issue and has done nothing to the supervisors or the leads that were involved. In my opinion this is a fire able offence as well as a FAA violation. Leads are advanced to supervisor, not based on experience but on how well they kiss butt. The latest leads to be advanced have had numerous complaints made against them. One has even been demoted from lead to tech for making comments about a females sexual preference. Once again a fire able offence. He was promoted to lead again and now is being promoted to supervisor.
        Summary: Mr. fujino you really need to get a handle on upper management before you don’t have company any more. Mr. Fujino if you really care about this company please come down to the floor more often and talk to the people who really make this plane. Honda America you need to revamp the hiring process. There are more people who are quitting than we can hire in a month. We have techs with twenty + years of experience who want the benefits. They work for a year or two and when they don’t get converted they leave. On the other hand we have techs coming in with no experience who get trained on specific jobs, and are good at what they do, and then they quit. We will never get to the move rate that management wants if we are losing our experienced techs every year and having to retrain new ones. All that being said I still plan on staying there for the remainder of my career and retiring in about 20 years.

"If you enjoy uncertainty......"

Former Employee - Aircraft Assembler in Greensboro, NC
    Former Employee - Aircraft Assembler in Greensboro, NC

I worked at Honda Aircraft Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Climate controlled facility
    Lit with LEDs
    All tools provided for the composite/structural work
    You can, almost, be assured of a forty hour work week, working or sittingbaround

Cons

Management
    Lies
    Change is constant
    Back stabbing by, who you think, are your teammates
    Pushing to build aircraft, faster and faster, with completely inexperienced employees

Advice to Management

I will start by saying that I did get a pay raise and met some great people at HondaJet/Honda Aircraft Co. Leadership is inept. There is absolutely ZERO concept of building an aircraft. Management worships the engineers and the company fears the supplying vendors.
    Management rewards those that will throw their counterparts "under the bus". There is no chance of advancement, unless you are a yes-man or kiss the butt of management. If you have any experience, you are looked at with disdain, you will be the last to convert from a contractor to an associate. The folks that were working at Walmart, McDonald's, or Sunglass Hut, that go through thesis week training at a local community college are offered associate positions first, given more noticeable jobs, first, and, if they graduate top of the class; these with no aircraft experience; are offered the inspection jobs.
    If you make an error, or even have to write a notification for engineering help (better known as a QN), you can be, almost, blacklisted from conversion to associate, or if you are be that management likes, you will become an associate, regardless. One manager will tell everyone that QN's don't hurt your chances, while another will tell you, while shaking their head, that your QN ratio is too high.
    Hope you like overtime and having no work-life balance. One month you will have zero overtime, the next you will be on mandatory thirteen days working, with one off. Often, management will offer voluntary overtime, and then cancel it, because there was not enough volunteers. There is a "magic" number of volunteers they want, but will tell you, "they just need volunteers".
    My best advice is to run away from your consideration of working for Honda Aircraft, because, well, you don't. You're simply a contractor, subject to being let go at anytime, for a short time, or years. If all of Honda operates like this I cannot see how they ever build a single motorcycle, lawnmower, Civic, or Accord, and make any of them safe. I truly see that Honda Japan and Honda America have no idea what is happening in Greensboro, is lied to about it, and Honda wants to try to build a custom built aircraft, like they build cars, etc.

Again, stay away, for your own sanity.

"Competitive pay, great benefits and still not worth it"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensboro, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensboro, NC

I worked at Honda Aircraft Company full-time

Pros

competitive pay, great benefits
    Preferred treatment to managers and engineers
    Japanese work ethic is impeccable

Cons

Kiss your family, personal life and vacation time goodbye. Much overtime and holidays is required(especially if you work in production).
    Male dominated; approx 5% of the managers are female and forget a promotion or transfer.
    Negotiate to your fullest in your hire contract. Verbal promises are not honored. Double check anything in writing for loopholes and hinge words. Promises of promotion or monetary increase in writing should also include a time limit as fulfillment of obligations may be indefinite.

Advice to Management

Upper management: Serve and support your employees for the best interest of the company, not your own. Corruption equals expendable.
    Hats off to the the Japanese staff for their perseverance.