Honda Manufacturing of Indiana Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Bob Nelson

Pros
  • Pay and benefits are great once you do get hired on (in 9 reviews)

• Great benefits, learning opportunity and overtime pay (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Bad Management, no work/life balance (in 5 reviews)

• for 30 minutes during 1st break, every day (in 4 reviews)

"Best this area has to offer"

Current Employee - Line Quality in Greensburg, IN
    Current Employee - Line Quality in Greensburg, IN

I have been working at Honda Manufacturing of Indiana full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay is great. Benefits are good. I enjoy the problem solving aspect of it and hearing other people's ideas and opinions. I go in there every day and for the most part enjoy my job and the people I work with. Hard work is typically noticed and will eventually get you somewhere. I feel like I can thrive in an environment like this because they don't look down on me for being just an average guy with a high school diploma.

I feel like my job is rewarding and I thoroughly enjoy what I do. I do not understand the large amount of negative reviews posted in the last year.

Cons

Cafeteria is crazy for the AF department. 600 or so people trying to get through the lunch line and back downstairs in 30 minutes. I've spent 11-15 minutes waiting to get through the line before.

Performance raises were taken away from most of us, and it looks like we are paying for insurance next year.

Crazy amount of people on FMLA that seem like they never work so manpower is a constant struggle.

Advice to Management

When someone is given a maximum amount of FMLA, it needs to be assumed that they will miss as many days as they are allowed & manpower needs to accommodate with extra people.

Please reconsider the insurance benefit changes for 2018.

2. "Always push to do more even if meeting all targets and expectations"

Current Employee - Technical Specialist in Greensburg, IN

Pros

Steady income, flexibility to adapt to new situations and work with many aspects of the business to gain effective solutions

Cons

Tough work/life balance. Must support both shifts especially at new model development with two week rotations. Expectations from mgt to work long hours and re do work many times as mindsets change like the wind. Hard to get the actual solutions completed at times when putting together presentations and summaries of your work with many revisions.

Advice to Management

Understand work balance better and evaluate your staffing needs. Expectations should not be work many hours of OT to get the job done constantly. Workload and manpower should become more balanced for family life as well.

3. "Thankful for Honda"

Current Employee - Exempt in Greensburg, IN
    Current Employee - Exempt in Greensburg, IN

I have been working at Honda Manufacturing of Indiana full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Very energetic and helpful environment where I have felt encouraged to grow and be successful. As an associate it is up to how far you want to go. It is not just handed to you, you have to try.

Cons

Some associates feel entitled to things. It is still a job. At times there can be a lot of red tape to go through when trying new things.

Advice to Management

Continue to foster associate growth and do not only listen to those that are the loudest.

"Doesn't treat everyone equal"

Former Employee - Processing Associate in Greensburg, IN
    Former Employee - Processing Associate in Greensburg, IN

I worked at Honda Manufacturing of Indiana full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The day shift is the best shift

Cons

I trained on days; teamwork mentality. The TC's are helpful and everyone seemed to be helpful. The night shift is the total opposite. They don't work together. My experience was awful and I hate I took the job

Advice to Management

There is not enough consideration given to workers. Way too much expected from workers. Management should be required to do the excruciating processes so they can see how grueling and painful the work is for 8+hours almost non stop pushing yourself to exhaustion. The herding to the lunchroom and scarfing down lunch to rushing to the restroom and back to work within 30 minutes is inhumane. It's like being cattle.

"Honda is like constant sorority hazing"

Current Employee - Lead Technical Specialist in Greensburg, IN
    Current Employee - Lead Technical Specialist in Greensburg, IN

Pros

Job stability and mediocre but overstated benefits. Benefits are falling though - now insurance won't be free - but not more money, so overall a pay cut. Good forever employment if trying isn't for you. Heck you may be running the place in months.

Cons

If youre on the professional side:
    The company will lie to you at every step - either directly, indirectly, or through their claimed culture.
    Although they claim to value loyalty and reward hard work and challenging spirit - they don't. You will never be rewarded for anything. You will be punished and very literally bullied (emotionally and professionally), if not outright terminated, if you have so much as an original thought in your head. Puppets will be rewarded. Your pay raises and promotions won't even keep up with cost of living.
    HR is an enabler for bad and outright illegal management practices. Discrimination and bullying are rampant and HR are just pencil pushers to do the paper work for the chosen, golden, managers. HR will never uphold the law because they have no authority. The HR management will punish any actual HR professional that tries to stand up for the human Resources (as most companies consider them).
    And in honor of the award for diversity remember this. After all the discrimination suits that went public and those that were kept quiet, you may have an award and some diversity but your balance is still criminal. You're just on the opposite side of the spectrum now. Reverse discrimination is real too! Also color isn't the only discrimination. There's still age and a whole slew that you're trampling all over on the daily. Promoting diverse color spectrum doesn't fix much and in your case will probably get you in more trouble - but congrats on your little award for now.
    The real kick in the jibblets is after many years of good reviews and pay raises and a promotion or two when you find that the kids straight out of college in their first real job make a few grand less than you. Clearly raises are just cost of living and there is not value of people. Thanks a whole lot for that valuation of my loyalty.

Advice to Management

Stop crying about your attrition. You're not a victim. You made your bed/grave so just lay in it.
    Quit at life officially rather than just coming to work and being a worthless lump. Fade into history forever.
    If I were you I'd just try to not be there when the inevitable happens. This company will go down in a shameful series of lawsuits and bad press. Good quality cars will never save you from the answer and misdeeds that will always be found out.
    If that doesn't motivate you remember, eventually carnivores run out of food and have to eat their fellow carnivores. So take a good look around your "friends" daily and ponder which one will eventually get you.

"not for me"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensburg, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensburg, IN

Pros

there are none ,do not work for honda if you value being an American, and value freedom

Cons

you are a number and a robot- work at the sounds of bells

Advice to Management

run the plant like an American plant ,not like a Japanese plant. America love it or leave it.

"Process Associate"

Former Employee - Process Associate in Greensburg, IN
    Former Employee - Process Associate in Greensburg, IN

I worked at Honda Manufacturing of Indiana (More than 5 years)

Pros

No lay offs, slightly above average benefits.

Cons

Pay is good but not in line with other automotive manufacturers.

Advice to Management

Need to be fair to all employees when new opportunities arise, do not play favorites.

"Unethical recruiting for internships"

Former Employee - Safety in Greensburg, IN
    Former Employee - Safety in Greensburg, IN

Pros

The plant is new, with new equipment.

Cons

If you are an intern, you will get recruited from Honda of America Manufacturing in Ohio. The two function as separate companies but you will not find that out until you get there. The recruiters don't talk between plants, and so a lot of false promises were given. No relocation was given for out of area candidates and the plant is very isolated in a rural part of Indiana. My HR left was fired the week before I started. I couldn't even find my company arranged housing until the day before the internship! Very poor management from HR! Once I got there, I found out Honda doesn't believe in degree or certifications. Therefore, having any degree or a masters is worthless. There is not such thing as gaining experience in a field, such as engineering. They just want you to rotate around departments as they see fit (from HR to IT, from engineer to the production line), etc. Ergonomics is terrible and the employees on the line are in agony. The safety team has no idea how to fix it, because they have ZERO qualifications in safety.

Advice to Management

Get technical specialists, pay more, and recruit from the actual plant where the job is.

"My perspective as a "Technical Specialist" at HMIN"

I have been working at Honda Manufacturing of Indiana full-time

Pros

-Opportunity for personal development and promotion in the company

-Encourages associate feedback to improve morale and productivity

-Most successful employees are passionate and engaged

-Frequent opportunities to be involved in community outreach and charity work

-Flexible hours for salary workers as long as you are not abusing it or losing productivity

-Encourages learning about the history of Honda and how Honda affects the world

-A core value of Honda is being a company that society wants to exist

-Travel Opportunities

-Great benefits (family insurance, 401K, student reimbursement, financial services)

-Honda makes strong attempts to retain employees and this provides a sense of security. There are no lay-offs, ever. The company tries to keep you engaged with new opportunities and training. They make it very clear that they value you as an asset to the company. Employees who are performing below expectations are provided with additional training or sometimes placed in different roles to take better advantage of their strengths.

-Very clean facility

-Satisfaction of knowing you're helping build a high quality product that someone is going to cherish. And you know that it is going to help keep them safe which results in saving lives.

-Even though this is a Japanese company, the cars are built with more American-made parts than some American automakers. Honda keeps strong relationships with its suppliers and this is a boon for the economy.

-Safety is always the highest priority in everything we do at HMIN.

Cons

-Young company that is still working out some kinks and stabilizing. There is not a strong sense of culture like you would see at older establishments. This isn't necessarily 100% bad though.

-The high pressure to achieve individual departmental targets causes some short-cutting that eventually leads to larger problems (especially around new model timing). Sometimes it also results in finger pointing instead of solution efforts.

-If you are fresh out of college and looking for a "hands on" technical job, you probably will be spending more time on project management and presentations to management than you expected. This is because Honda believes that the people doing the work are the most qualified to provide valuable feedback. Again, this may not always be a bad thing.

-All employees must wear a white long sleeve shirt and pants (provided by Honda). The pants don't have front pockets. Pulling up your sleeves is not allowed. The plant is air conditioned, but if you are remotely near the docks it gets a little toasty in the summer. If your job requires you to go out into the production environment, you can have some days where you come home both physically and mentally exhausted.

-No cubicles or noise cancelling headphones in any of the offices. This can make it hard to concentrate if you have loud neighbors.

-No sick days or non-plant vacation days your first year.

-The nature of automotive industry brings high stress and short deadlines.

-I think the managers of teams don't have much control over what rating they can give their employees during the performance review because it affects raises and bonuses.

-Slow to adopt some newer methodologies and technologies. I think this is mostly a result of having to work alongside the older plants in Ohio, who are still using their old trusty methods and systems.

Advice to Management

During status reviews of projects that are not on track:
    Encourage open communication of missed deadlines and late projects, with the clear intention of providing advice or initiating some kind of escalated countermeasures. Maybe share one of your current problems or previous problems and describe how you got it back on track (or didn't).

If you do have some negative feedback for an individual, don't turn it into a public beating. Criticizing publicly might be a good motivator to get them back on track, and set a fire under everybody else on the team, but its also a good way to alienate that individual. Anyone else who had a concern item is then going to sugar coat it or withhold it to avoid looking incompetent. Those problems will then resurface when it's too late to effectively handle them, and you'll wonder why the problem wasn't even on your radar.

"Great company to learn and grow for those willing to put in the work."

Current Employee - Technical Specialist in Greensburg, IN

I have been working at Honda Manufacturing of Indiana full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, learning opportunity and overtime pay. Opportunity to move laterally and grow within company. Training for those seeking to better certain areas of development.

Cons

Location. HMIN is fairly newer vs other sites but it's getting better year after year. Need to invest in employee wellness. There isn't much going on in terms of relationship building events/opportunities.