Honda R & D Americas Reviews in Raymond, OH | Glassdoor

Raymond, OH

2.5
Frank Paluch

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Manager level benefits are excellent (in 7 reviews)

• Flex time is great, flexibility of choosing when your workday begins, uniforms eliminate need for work wardrobe (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Company doesn't have any sense of work life balance (in 28 reviews)

• sometimes long hours at peak project load (in 13 reviews)

1. "Opportunities to Grow and Learn"

Former Intern - Electrical Systems Architecture in Raymond, OH
    Former Intern - Electrical Systems Architecture in Raymond, OH

I worked at Honda R & D Americas as an intern

Pros

- A lot of people are very smart and if you take the initiative to ask them to eat lunch with you, you can ask questions and learn a lot that way.
    - Very forgiving environment in a sense that if you don't know anything about cars (my scenario), they give you time to learn and pick up what you need to know.
    - Uniforms! Don't need to think about what you need to wear each day.

Cons

- Even as an intern, I had days where I would work 3-4 hours overtime. Company doesn't have any sense of work life balance.
    - Management or your boss usually doesn't have any time to help you, so most of the things you will need will either come from Google or slowly, you need to start digging in the drive or go to another expert in another department to ask for help. They always seem to be busy.
    - Japanese culture. Being a girl, you don't get much respect in the workforce. There's a split of friendly people and people who are just awkward and won't even say hi to you as you walk past them down the hall.
    - Little interaction in department. There's little collaboration. For the most part, you are working on a project by yourself. Only when you need help will you go to the experts.
    - Hard to understand Japanese technical experts. They question everything you do. As an intern, they didn't let me go to the weekly team meetings since it contains sensitive information even though I was already cleared. It's hard to feel like you are a part of the team when Japanese exclude you.

Advice to Management

- Management needs to promote collaboration. This is where innovation comes to life.

"Infotainment Test Engineer"

Current Contractor - Test Engineer in Raymond, OH
    Current Contractor - Test Engineer in Raymond, OH

I have been working at Honda R & D Americas as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule if You need to do something out of office

Cons

Hostile environmental, lack of communication.... no team work

"Great starter job! (unless you have actually worked in the industry at another job)"

I have been working at Honda R & D Americas full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

awesome RP availability, access to lots of cars.... depending on your management and department.

Cons

poor work life balance, very poor raises, low bonuses, lack of innovation

"Great people, lots of opportunities, filled with pain points"

Current Employee - Engineer in Raymond, OH
    Current Employee - Engineer in Raymond, OH

I have been working at Honda R & D Americas full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've read through many of these reviews. For the most part, the pros are pretty on par. You will work 40-55 hours per week so you will learn quickly and you'll get paid for every minute you work. Some groups have minimal weekend work. Flexible schedule and hours is nice for families. Younger associates have lots of opportunities to learn quickly. You'll learn on the job. Lots of hands on experience. Opportunity to travel to suppliers for both test and design. As some have said, you'll get promoted, so you have opportunities to move around (if you wait long enough). Healthcare was really good, not sure how great it will be come the new year. Home finds a way to hire really smart people.

Cons

As many have said compensation is low. They are below industry standard (~15-30%). Other OEMs and even factory offer flex times and 1.5x overtime so it's not a "Honda perk." Someone else had said "lack of diverse thought" at the top and I think that really rings true. Attrition happens right at about the 2 year mark.... promotion and raise schedule is very scheduled. Work life balance is a real struggle.

Advice to Management

Please read these, there's some encoraging and some words of wisdom for management to learn from. Focus on the core problems and don't just add bandaids that associates aren't able to use.

"Great benefits, but..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raymond, OH

I have been working at Honda R & D Americas full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everything about doing business processes here appears to be structured and very clearly defined. Expectations are clearly communicated in advance, which means less chance of error

Training so far seems useful and efficiently conducted.

Cons

As a new employee, I'm finding that Benefits seem to always have some twist to them compared to what I was used to from another company.

Vacation days - you don't straight up get X number of days that can be taken at any time in the year. You literally have to accrue a certain number of hours per two week pay period (in my case 3 hours). So the flex time off, which is overtime hours that can be banked as future time off instead of a bigger paycheck will be used to ensure that I'm not sitting at home by myself when my family wants to go to some sunny hot destination later in the winter. I basically have to work like a dog my first couple months here to bank these hours.

401K doesn't start until the first day of the third month following your start date. You get no emails, no notification or orientation for this. So they advertise this awesome company match and then seem to have policies that encourage you to forget signing up or doing so effectively.

Healthcare benefits begin the first full month following your start date but not really. Unless you have an emergency, They want you to wait until your cards etc arrive which can be up to three weeks into the second month of your start date. They insisted on at least two months of notice before I could actually start. Wasn't this enough time??

Their design area is a long walk from the front door. This is a pro or con depending on how you look at it. At some point I felt like I was wasting my life with all this walking, so I'm needing to structure meetings etc a bit more efficiently

Clocking in / clocking out - I thought this was a distant thought in my mind from three lifetimes ago. It makes it easy to do time reports and accurately get paid for it, but they don't just use front door badge in information since many folks stop by the locker room to get dressed when they come in. So you have to scan your badge twice.

"Great"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raymond, OH

I have been working at Honda R & D Americas full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Many many great opportunities. Flex time. Good food. Lease cars.

Cons

Overtime. Late night video conference. Bullies. Low pay. No cubicles.

7. "Test Technician"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raymond, OH

I have been working at Honda R & D Americas (More than a year)

Pros

Good opportunity to learn new methods of testing

Cons

No communication between manager and workers

8. "Great overall experience"

Former Employee - Student Engineer in Raymond, OH
    Former Employee - Student Engineer in Raymond, OH

Pros

Competitive Pay, Friendly environment, challenging project

Cons

Seemed like low growth potential for full time employees

"Challenging Place to Learn, Grow, and Develop"

Former Employee - Design Engineer III, Group Leader in Raymond, OH
    Former Employee - Design Engineer III, Group Leader in Raymond, OH

I worked at Honda R & D Americas full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible hours - start time between 5:30am-10am. Must work at least 40 hours/week, usually 5-10 hours of OT. Straight pay, you are paid per hour of work. Excellent FTO & Vacation plans.
    Health benefits are very good.
    401k matching is excellent.
    Strongly support associate training and development.
    Ample leadership & responsibility advancement if you work hard.

Cons

It is a Japanese run company - there is a large cultural difference between the US & Japan. This must be understood and accepted to really succeed with Honda. Many US staff become frustrated and give up on advancement too soon because of this.
    Lack of clear expectations from Japanese management - again, cultural differences. US staff must learn to clarify expectations and have open communication, although it will prove uncomfortable at first.

Advice to Management

Encourage more cultural training, with mixed US & J-Staff attendees.

"Do Not Go Blindly. Job Not for Family Man"

I have been working at Honda R & D Americas full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You will learn Honda way of engineering. Every project evaluation is like defending your Thesis. Management expects perfection. Once you are a trained engineer and decide to leave, you will be highly successful at any other company.

Cons

Hours, hours and long hours. Work/life balance does not exist. Don't error in your design or be prepared to enter an eternity of documentation **** if you do. A lot of associate turn over.

Advice to Management

1) You have already heard many messages before. Now begin to listen.
    2) Speed when designing does not work.