Honda of America Mfg. Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 26, 2017

1.0
Tomomi Kosaka

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Excellent resume builder clean environment and great pay and benefits for the full time associate (in 15 reviews)

• Good pay, overtime, hours, good location, nice people, not too boring (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • sometimes hard for work life balance (in 12 reviews)

• You have to be on the buddy system to get promoted and management likes to enforce rules that they can't even follow (in 5 reviews)

"Good company, declining every year"

I have been working at Honda of America Mfg. full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunity for advancement & growthwith retirements and resignations.

Cons

Benefits continue to decline (pension = gone, health insurance is worse every year) without increase in salary to compensate the difference. No flexibility in hours. Declining cleanliness.

Advice to Management

Put people first again, they will make profits happen.

"Engineers Stay Away"

Former Employee - Engineering Staff
    Former Employee - Engineering Staff

I worked at Honda of America Mfg. full-time

Pros

A lot of overtime opportunities. Good benefits, especially 401k matching.

Cons

Anti-intellectual company culture. High turnover due to mindless, uninspiring and demoralizing work. Hostile inter-department relations, where passing along the blame is the primary goal, instead of solving problems and improving the product. Flat structure, so there is little opportunity to move up in the company. Immense generational gap that creates hostility and mistrust between young engineers in their 20s and the 30 year veterans. Young engineers that have stayed have been brainwashed into the almost cult-like culture. The traditional Honda quality has slowly disappeared, and it is obvious as to why after working there. Questionable hiring decisions; people working there that know nothing about cars, and do not care about the product, while passionate car people get pushed away.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring people that don't care about your product. Allow engineers to use their knowledge. Allow people to move within the company, instead of complaining about it and blocking people's request to change departments. Promote people based on merit, not length of time in the company.

"Worked over the summer"

Pros

Pay a lot of overtime.

Cons

Location was out in the country. Morale at the plant was extremely low. Pay wasn't very good. Neither were benefits or bonuses. Culture overall was pretty depressing. Overtime is expected almost every day.

Advice to Management

Try to improve the morale in the plant by increasing the quality of some of the services.

"HNA - Avoid if below 35"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Marysville, OH
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Marysville, OH

I worked at Honda of America Mfg. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

No one cares the quality of work you do
    Good gym
    Bunch of old people retiring in 5 years leaving positions open

Cons

No one takes ownership in work
    Bad place to develop career (listen up millennials) no mentorship no work stuck in small little niche
    Bad pay (they tell you benefits make up for it; take 10 grand off your salary now and that's what you'll get paid)
    Incompetent management that can't learn new ways of thinking
    Outdated company policies (after thirty years, you just now can drink coffee at your desk)
    You'll be told 'if you don't like it, leave' multiple times in your first couple months if you question anything
    In BFE
    No flexibility
    No PTO your first year
    No other young people work here

Advice to Management

None. They wouldn't listen anyway and I hope they keep their heads where they are at so the company folds in 5 years

"Complete disrespect"

Former Employee - Buyer
    Former Employee - Buyer

I worked at Honda of America Mfg. full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay is good if you work in the manufacturing process. Great resume builder.

Cons

Terrible work environment. Managers are allowed to publicly insult employees and nothing is done about it. You have to be in with the crowd in order to get promoted. Wrong people with no experience are leading teams. I would never recommend any friends to join this company. Management is full of people who cant manage people. Complete disregard for work life balance.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach. Respect for the individual is non existent.

6. "For a company this size I was really disappointed."

Former Employee - Engineering Staff in Anna, OH
    Former Employee - Engineering Staff in Anna, OH

I worked at Honda of America Mfg. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can work as much paid overtime as you want. You never have to ask if you can work over, you just do and they will pay you.

If you don't borrow vacation your first year and work over shutdown, you could end up with a lot of vacation. I had 4 weeks going into my 2nd year.

Cons

I was there for a year and a half and was never assigned a single project. Every day I came to work not knowing what I was going to be doing that day. There doesn't seem to be any job responsibilities, people just do whatever they think needs done. Whether its productive or not.

I was hired as an engineer but the engineers there are not what you would expect. A majority of them are people who came off the production line, so they don't really have much engineering knowledge. During my year review, my manager actually said he wanted me to be a machine operator and go through that training because I didn't know how to fix a machine fault. I had already done the training the first two months I started but lost some of the knowledge since I didn't use any of it for the following 10 months. He wanted me to do it again though. That sort of training and fixing broken machines (as in replacing parts) is mainly what I did there. I considered it to be more of a maintenance position.

Also, moral seems to be extremely low here. I don't think I could mention one person who could say they enjoyed there job. Very few people have good things to say about the place.

Advice to Management

Engineering department needs to be fixed, I wouldn't even know where to begin with that though. Moral needs to improved, it makes for a long work week being with unhappy people.

7. "Mechanical Engineer"

Pros

Pay is a lot higher than many other job in the area.

Cons

Management put under way to much pressure and completely overwhelmed. Terrible work environment and terrible place to work.

"Stepping Stone. Not a Good Long Term Choice."

Former Employee - Engineering Coordinator in Anna, OH
    Former Employee - Engineering Coordinator in Anna, OH

I worked at Honda of America Mfg. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Stable job.
    - Great 401K
    - Pays great for entry level

If you are looking for stability you found it, but you won't find much else.

Cons

- Terrible work life balance
    - Weak management system.
    - Top heavy for no reason
    - Flat compensation for everyone.
    - Company values are hardly observed.
    - All reactive activity. Very little proactive activity.
    - Work becomes mundane quickly.
    - Drama, Drama, Drama. More drama than days of our lives.......

Advice to Management

Go to the spot and actually see what is happening..... Understand the processes and the people. Consider giving rewards to those who perform. Focus on training. Training that will help people think and make good decisions. Learn to actually convey your values daily.....

"Unprofessional work environment"

Former Employee - Purchasing in Marysville, OH
    Former Employee - Purchasing in Marysville, OH

I worked at Honda of America Mfg. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great health benefits, fitness center, credit union and a clean work environment for manufacturing

Cons

This is a very unprofessional environment to work in. Training is nonexistent. The employees that have been around for years are will not be willing to mentor or train you. Their thought process is that “it took me 8 years to learn my job, why should I teach it to you.” Although this company is supposed to be a flat organization, the only aspect of being flat is that everyone wears the same white uniform. People are put in management positions based on either who they know or the number of years they have worked for the company. Lack of leadership skills is evident throughout the organization, in addition to the lack of respect for others. If you are looking for work/life balance, this is not the company that will provide it.

Advice to Management

Treat others the way you want to be treated.

10. "Honda should follow their own words."

Pros

The plant is in Marysville. The country is nice

Cons

Ever since I have known of Honda manufacturing, its been filled with mediocre skill sets and men who cant wait to say they dawned the uniform. Any uniform you wear is a good one, even the uniform of truth can save you alot of headache down the road.

Ever since I was young and two guys were drunk and crashed their Goldwings in uniform down the road and tried to enter my mothers home because they were upset, I haven't had any respect for that uniform or people that burst up in your life trying to run everything. As a matter of fact through life it has caused the greatest amount of pain because of hyped up, half realized thoughts they cant bring to life.

I can tell you why 90% of College students don't stay at Honda. Because Honda was introduced to them in a harsh way from past experiences and all they want is to find an answer to how Honda acts and does business. One day that younger kid is going to sit down at your desk and that younger female is going to look better than you and REPLACE YOU.

The only reason Honda acts as if they know everybody is because every department over at Honda is fighting to survive and that makes people half crazy. I know because I have dawned the uniform.

The recalls and stuff happening are because of Honda lack of attention to detail that they scorn every other worker out here for having and lack of experience for understanding all the headache Honda has come up with itself and expects everybody to understand.

The company is like any other company except for at Honda they believe they work harder and all they are doing is biding their time. Oh good, you manipulated people into believing that your company is an oasis and with the Recalls people know the truth, people know the truth with the bad attitudes.

Advice to Management

Keep replacing yourselves with a better you......LOL