Honda of America Mfg. Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 5, 2017

2.0
Tomomi Kosaka

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Excellent resume builder clean environment and great pay and benefits for the full time associate (in 15 reviews)

• Good pay, secure and steady job (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • sometimes hard for work life balance (in 12 reviews)

• The buddy system is the only way of making good money at Honda (in 6 reviews)

1. "Equipment Service"

Current Employee - Equipment Service in Anna, OH
    Current Employee - Equipment Service in Anna, OH

I have been working at Honda of America Mfg. full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Descent pay, team environment, has never layed off.

Cons

Horrible "clicks" management, dwindling benefits, way behind on COL pay.

Advice to Management

Japanese management needs to return from Japan to retake control of their plants.

"Engine Assembly"

Current Employee - Assembly Line Worker in Anna, OH
    Current Employee - Assembly Line Worker in Anna, OH

I have been working at Honda of America Mfg. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You meet great people, work for the most part is fairly easy. Every meeting you take place in is pointless and doesnt benefit youin anyway, but it is a good time to take a nap, get free cookies and a pop. It is possible to work your way up quickly if you know people from the inside. Top pay is good, but takes 8 years to get there. Laid back people, depending who you work around.

Cons

Came in through a temp agency, took 3 years to get in. You wont meet your max pay until you've worked for honda for atleast 8 years. It's almost undeniable that you WILL go to 2nd shift when first starting out. Some make it onto 1st shift in a year, some people it takes 10 years.
    They treat temps like they're not a valued employee, when they do an equal amount as a Honda Associate. You get two, ten minute breaks, and an unpaid 30 minute lunch break. Takes 5 minutes to walk to the lunch area, and 5 minutes to walk back to your area of work.
    If ever injured on the job, Honda will never take responsibility, the nurses and doctors onsight will tell you it's your fault, and you need to slow down your work or not work so hard, despite what coordinators and team leaders tell you to do.
    When getting hired in from a temp agency, they draw a name from a hat, they do not go based of off performance, attendance and quality of work, despite what they tell you. This was told to me by a woman at the temp agency.
    Food there is expensive, you're better off packing everyday, but then you have to wait in line for a microwave, so you better get use to eating cold cut sandwiches.

You will only get promotion, recognition for work if you know people from the inside. The buddy system is the only way of making good money at Honda. It'll always be about who you know.

Lastly, benefits have usually been good but I guess recently they've became more expensive. People are making less money than previous years just because of their benefits package.

All of this combined is mentally and physically exhausting, i'm 22 years old. I should not feel this way.

Advice to Management

Honestly the worst form of management I have ever seen or heard of from anyone, you tell people "We're all a team". No team is one sided. You never find the root cause of a problem, moral is so poor but you won't take the steps to fix it. I have witnessed people mess up quality wise, every single day for the past 2 months. Not even a slap on the wrist, a write up, or a talk to her. The other day I received an award for participating in a mandatory meeting. I threw the award in the trash, it was useless.

You don't reward the hard working people, there is no reward system what so ever. We get no recognition for the things we do. There's smart people that work there, but you never give them the opportunity to prove themselves, and that's why other companies are excelling past us.

Lastly, I'm not sure what agreement Honda has with temp agencies, but when i was hired in through a temp agency, i was told "You will be treated like every other employee, that's why everyone wears the same uniform" None of use were treated as Honda associates, our opinion or innovative ideas were never taken into account, or even given the opportunity to voice them. They aren't given a pay bonus, or your useless "points system" for ideas they gave. Which results to people walking around making changes to equipment and tools, recording them, and gaining points. Which also resulted in injuries. All for some points. Temps make up an large portion of employees in the plant, learn to treat them as normal associates, and value their work. Nobody is proud to work at Honda like they use to, but like I was told "This is the new Honda now."

3. "Don't Want the Best, Just the Most Manageable"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marysville, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marysville, OH

I have been working at Honda of America Mfg. full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very good benefits package that is slowly eroding.

Cons

Never fix any chronic problems. Don't do much of what they say they will. Throwing many man-hours at a problem is always the better solution rather than actually fixing the root cause.

Advice to Management

Don't talk about leadership. Lead. By example. And give useful feedback routinely.

"Worst Company I've Worked For"

I have been working at Honda of America Mfg. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is good for the area.
    Benefits can't be beat.
    That's all that is good.

Cons

Poor work/life balance
    Management is terrible (good ole boys club)
    Boring work
    Subpar working conditions/atmosphere
    Work is never recognized
    Not a place that is very welcoming of new ideas
    Very "high school drama" atmosphere
    Everyone is in a clique
    Not very welcoming to new employees
    Interview is not very honest as to what you will be doing
    I and many others felt as if management looked down on their employees, saw them as a cog in a machine and not much more.

Advice to Management

Be honest. Be welcoming. Give praise. You don't know how far a smile and a hello goes. Along with that a pat on the back for a job well done is just as good as a raise some times.

Practice what you preach. Engage with your employees.

5. "Godd money Horrible place to work"

Current Employee - Production Associate in Marysville, OH
    Current Employee - Production Associate in Marysville, OH

I have been working at Honda of America Mfg. (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great Pay, great benefits. Fast paced

Cons

Management doesn't do anything about harassment. Heaven forbid you miss a day
    No life, since you''l be working nights

Advice to Management

Get out on the production floor more and out of your office

6. "Manager"

I worked at Honda of America Mfg. full-time

Pros

Pay, benefits, advancement opportunities if you are a white man.

Cons

Discriminatory behaviors, culture of fear.

Advice to Management

Don't punish whistleblowers

"Mistake to work here"

Current Employee - Quality Engineer in Marysville, OH
    Current Employee - Quality Engineer in Marysville, OH

I have been working at Honda of America Mfg. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Signing bonus, annual bonus, overtime pay to even salaried employees, very hands-on experience with automobiles, decent amount of out-of-office travel

Cons

Unrewarding work, abysmal office design (as colorless and depressing as you can get), terrible vacation/sick days (none for first year), company doesn't care about the individual at all, uniforms make you feel dumb, tons of social loafing, office morale very low

Advice to Management

Thinks need to be seriously shaken up, American-run companies blow Honda out of the water. Forcing sick employees to work doesn't help anyone. Workplace depression and apathy is rampant. Stop treating employees like dirt that also can't be trusted.

"Mechanical Engineering Co-op"

Former Intern - Mechanical Engineering Co-Op in Marysville, OH
    Former Intern - Mechanical Engineering Co-Op in Marysville, OH

I worked at Honda of America Mfg. as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

A lot of opportunity to work on diverse projects. I felt that the company's engineering co-op program was very strong in terms of providing real life engineering experience and working at a large scale manufacturing facility. The "Honda whites" were amazing. Having a uniform is awesome when you wake up for work at 4 AM and don't have to ask yourself "What am I going to wear today?" Benefits are pretty normal for the automotive industry. The people I worked with were great and what I miss most from the job. Also, the UAW does not exist at Honda, which makes completing tasks easier. If you're looking for "just" a co-op experience this place is a good place to start.

Cons

If you think you are interested in Honda as a career and want to use the co-op as a way in, beware. My dislike with Honda is more about company structure and policies. First, Honda is a Japanese automotive company. All major manufacturing process planning and design is done in Japan and plans to implement changes are given on a need to know basis. Second, within Honda there is very little room for promotion. Honda promotes primarily on a tiered seniority system, with a small performance based aspect. You have to reach the top tier of your position before you are eligible for promotion. Third, your engineering manager might not be an engineer or even be able to have a basic technical conversation with you. In my experience, in the factory things happen fast, having to stop and describe a problem to someone who doesn't have the capacity to understand the problem leads to frustration on both ends and wasted time. Fourth, the pay. While co-op pay is relatively decent, full time wages are not. Honda keeps your hourly rate low because of all the overtime you will be working. As an engineer, you are pretty much granted unlimited overtime. You will be working a lot, about 55-60 hours a week and on shut down you might as well set up a tent in the parking lot. Good news though, overtime starts as soon as you are over 8 hours on any M-F day. Fourth, engineers don't work a 40 hour week, they work 5 eight hour work days. Which means you absolutely need to be at your desk for 8 hours. Need to leave for an appointment? Better be approved by a supervisor and come in earlier. Fifth, you are not allowed to have anything but water to drink at your desk, you aren't allowed to listen to music while at your computer, you have to have a clear desk except for your computer. That means no family photos, things of interest, or even parts from projects you're working on. Yes, there are department desk inspections, I'm not joking. Sixth, you are only allowed one monitor at your desk (typically a 15"-17" 4:3 aspect ratio). Good luck working in CAD efficiently. Finally, what killed the company for me was when I tried to look at Honda as a long term job. If you would like to one day have kids and a wife be prepared to miss school events and Saturday sports games because you will be at Honda working in the factory.

Advice to Management

Honda, has a horrible retention rate for turning engineering co-ops into full-time engineers. Having spoken with other engineers that have done co-ops it is because most tasks are of the project management variety. There are design projects within the factory but they are often few and far between. Honda, needs to bring more of its manufacturing process planning and design to the US and allow the factory engineers large projects to sink their teeth into. Challenge their engineers. Honda is working on expanding their design capabilities in the US but there is a long road ahead.

"Buyer"

Current Employee - Buyer in Marysville, OH
    Current Employee - Buyer in Marysville, OH

I have been working at Honda of America Mfg. (More than a year)

Pros

Good Pay. Great Benefits. Nice Bonus. Paid OT even when on salary

Cons

Other than what was mentioned in Pro there isn't much to this place. This place will totally drain the life out of you. There's 2 types of people. First type are people who are content with the boring task they do everyday and don't mind going through the motions because they get a good paycheck. The second type are completely bored out of their minds. Can't stand management and their ridiculous policies they hold you to. As a buyer you will not do much. You will have a slight level of responsibility, but that's about it. Every moment of your day will be completely planned, watched, and monitored by management. You will all eat at the same time as well. Your ideas will be asked for by management, but will ultimately be ignored and management will do as they please. They also like to tell you one thing and do another. Several people in my department have been promised things (move to another department, promotions, etc.) all to have nothing come from it. If you do choose to go to a different department and get an offer to do so, your manager can step in and refuse to let you transfer. There is this attitude around here that this is how it has been and always will be. Also management will play favorites I have watched plenty of people I work with who are very smart not get projects, promotions, etc because they are not buddy buddy with their supervisor. In all if your just looking for a place to get some experience on your resume with a recognized company then it is worth the struggle. Other than that I wouldn't. There are a lot of young people in my department who are sticking around for just that, and plan on leaving as soon as they can. There's nothing mind stimulating about this job, a high school drop out could do it.

Advice to Management

You have gone so far away from the values that are written right behind you area in the office. There is clear favoritism which is Sad, I have not been a victim of it. But I still see it everyday and it's pathetic. You will continue to lose good young smart people to this. Management should not be buddy buddy with associates. You should t be hanging out outside of work, it's a clear conflict of interest. Challenge your associates. Giving them mind numbing remedial work everyday is not good for moral. Nor is holding them to the same standards of a line worker. That is just plain ridiculous. Your wayyy overstaffed but none of you have the strategic line of thinking to even see it. The amount of money that could be saved in both salaries and benefits is huge. Currently there are 20+ people in a department that could be ran by 10-12 people. It's a huge shame the culture you have created. Maybe once you have a high enough attrition rate you'll see it too.

"Honda was a great place to work"

Former Employee - Accounting in Anna, OH
    Former Employee - Accounting in Anna, OH

I worked at Honda of America Mfg. full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I developed skills and experience to allow me go elsewhere, developed many friendships though my years there

Cons

Pay well under industry standard, work a lot of overtime, management is selected by favorites and playing the corporate games, benefits are consistently becoming lower and they attempt to make it appear as though they are giving you more (i.e.: using PTO in 2 hour increments, extra bereavement days), lack of respect from management, quality is decreasing