Honda of America Mfg. Reviews | Glassdoor

Honda of America Mfg. Reviews

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Tomomi Kosaka

Pros
  • Excellent resume builder clean environment and great pay and benefits for the full time associate (in 14 reviews)

• Good pay, overtime, hours, good location, nice people, not too boring (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • sometimes hard for work life balance (in 12 reviews)

• You have to be on the buddy system to get promoted and management likes to enforce rules that they can't even follow (in 5 reviews)

1. "Godd money Horrible place to work"

Current Employee - Production Associate in Marysville, OH
    Current Employee - Production Associate in Marysville, OH

I have been working at Honda of America Mfg. (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great Pay, great benefits. Fast paced

Cons

Management doesn't do anything about harassment. Heaven forbid you miss a day
    No life, since you''l be working nights

Advice to Management

Get out on the production floor more and out of your office

"Mechanical Engineering Co-op"

Former Intern - Mechanical Engineering Co-Op in Marysville, OH
    Former Intern - Mechanical Engineering Co-Op in Marysville, OH

I worked at Honda of America Mfg. as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

A lot of opportunity to work on diverse projects. I felt that the company's engineering co-op program was very strong in terms of providing real life engineering experience and working at a large scale manufacturing facility. The "Honda whites" were amazing. Having a uniform is awesome when you wake up for work at 4 AM and don't have to ask yourself "What am I going to wear today?" Benefits are pretty normal for the automotive industry. The people I worked with were great and what I miss most from the job. Also, the UAW does not exist at Honda, which makes completing tasks easier. If you're looking for "just" a co-op experience this place is a good place to start.

Cons

If you think you are interested in Honda as a career and want to use the co-op as a way in, beware. My dislike with Honda is more about company structure and policies. First, Honda is a Japanese automotive company. All major manufacturing process planning and design is done in Japan and plans to implement changes are given on a need to know basis. Second, within Honda there is very little room for promotion. Honda promotes primarily on a tiered seniority system, with a small performance based aspect. You have to reach the top tier of your position before you are eligible for promotion. Third, your engineering manager might not be an engineer or even be able to have a basic technical conversation with you. In my experience, in the factory things happen fast, having to stop and describe a problem to someone who doesn't have the capacity to understand the problem leads to frustration on both ends and wasted time. Fourth, the pay. While co-op pay is relatively decent, full time wages are not. Honda keeps your hourly rate low because of all the overtime you will be working. As an engineer, you are pretty much granted unlimited overtime. You will be working a lot, about 55-60 hours a week and on shut down you might as well set up a tent in the parking lot. Good news though, overtime starts as soon as you are over 8 hours on any M-F day. Fourth, engineers don't work a 40 hour week, they work 5 eight hour work days. Which means you absolutely need to be at your desk for 8 hours. Need to leave for an appointment? Better be approved by a supervisor and come in earlier. Fifth, you are not allowed to have anything but water to drink at your desk, you aren't allowed to listen to music while at your computer, you have to have a clear desk except for your computer. That means no family photos, things of interest, or even parts from projects you're working on. Yes, there are department desk inspections, I'm not joking. Sixth, you are only allowed one monitor at your desk (typically a 15"-17" 4:3 aspect ratio). Good luck working in CAD efficiently. Finally, what killed the company for me was when I tried to look at Honda as a long term job. If you would like to one day have kids and a wife be prepared to miss school events and Saturday sports games because you will be at Honda working in the factory.

Advice to Management

Honda, has a horrible retention rate for turning engineering co-ops into full-time engineers. Having spoken with other engineers that have done co-ops it is because most tasks are of the project management variety. There are design projects within the factory but they are often few and far between. Honda, needs to bring more of its manufacturing process planning and design to the US and allow the factory engineers large projects to sink their teeth into. Challenge their engineers. Honda is working on expanding their design capabilities in the US but there is a long road ahead.

"Mistake to work here"

Current Employee - Quality Engineer in Marysville, OH
    Current Employee - Quality Engineer in Marysville, OH

I have been working at Honda of America Mfg. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Signing bonus, annual bonus, overtime pay to even salaried employees, very hands-on experience with automobiles, decent amount of out-of-office travel

Cons

Unrewarding work, abysmal office design (as colorless and depressing as you can get), terrible vacation/sick days (none for first year), company doesn't care about the individual at all, uniforms make you feel dumb, tons of social loafing, office morale very low

Advice to Management

Thinks need to be seriously shaken up, American-run companies blow Honda out of the water. Forcing sick employees to work doesn't help anyone. Workplace depression and apathy is rampant. Stop treating employees like dirt that also can't be trusted.

"Buyer"

Current Employee - Buyer in Marysville, OH
    Current Employee - Buyer in Marysville, OH

I have been working at Honda of America Mfg. (More than a year)

Pros

Good Pay. Great Benefits. Nice Bonus. Paid OT even when on salary

Cons

Other than what was mentioned in Pro there isn't much to this place. This place will totally drain the life out of you. There's 2 types of people. First type are people who are content with the boring task they do everyday and don't mind going through the motions because they get a good paycheck. The second type are completely bored out of their minds. Can't stand management and their ridiculous policies they hold you to. As a buyer you will not do much. You will have a slight level of responsibility, but that's about it. Every moment of your day will be completely planned, watched, and monitored by management. You will all eat at the same time as well. Your ideas will be asked for by management, but will ultimately be ignored and management will do as they please. They also like to tell you one thing and do another. Several people in my department have been promised things (move to another department, promotions, etc.) all to have nothing come from it. If you do choose to go to a different department and get an offer to do so, your manager can step in and refuse to let you transfer. There is this attitude around here that this is how it has been and always will be. Also management will play favorites I have watched plenty of people I work with who are very smart not get projects, promotions, etc because they are not buddy buddy with their supervisor. In all if your just looking for a place to get some experience on your resume with a recognized company then it is worth the struggle. Other than that I wouldn't. There are a lot of young people in my department who are sticking around for just that, and plan on leaving as soon as they can. There's nothing mind stimulating about this job, a high school drop out could do it.

Advice to Management

You have gone so far away from the values that are written right behind you area in the office. There is clear favoritism which is Sad, I have not been a victim of it. But I still see it everyday and it's pathetic. You will continue to lose good young smart people to this. Management should not be buddy buddy with associates. You should t be hanging out outside of work, it's a clear conflict of interest. Challenge your associates. Giving them mind numbing remedial work everyday is not good for moral. Nor is holding them to the same standards of a line worker. That is just plain ridiculous. Your wayyy overstaffed but none of you have the strategic line of thinking to even see it. The amount of money that could be saved in both salaries and benefits is huge. Currently there are 20+ people in a department that could be ran by 10-12 people. It's a huge shame the culture you have created. Maybe once you have a high enough attrition rate you'll see it too.

"Honda was a great place to work"

Former Employee - Accounting in Anna, OH
    Former Employee - Accounting in Anna, OH

I worked at Honda of America Mfg. full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I developed skills and experience to allow me go elsewhere, developed many friendships though my years there

Cons

Pay well under industry standard, work a lot of overtime, management is selected by favorites and playing the corporate games, benefits are consistently becoming lower and they attempt to make it appear as though they are giving you more (i.e.: using PTO in 2 hour increments, extra bereavement days), lack of respect from management, quality is decreasing

7. "Have to be efficient"

Current Employee - Engineer in Anna, OH

Pros

Pays for overtime and treats everyone almost equally.

Cons

Have to be efficient in utilizing technical and engineering skills. Usually hire less experienced employees to make sure no outsider with experience would displace them from their thrones.

Advice to Management

Hire experienced people who could bring new ideas to the team. Also, try to make people work in their stipulated time, so that the overtime is not being abused by extending 3 hr work to 10 hr work.

8. "Team Leader"

Former Employee - Team Leaders in Marysville, OH
    Former Employee - Team Leaders in Marysville, OH

Pros

Good wage and benefits, for the time being

Cons

Company does not support long term employees

"too much inconsistency"

Current Employee - Industrial Machine Maintenance Technician in Marysville, OH
    Current Employee - Industrial Machine Maintenance Technician in Marysville, OH

I have been working at Honda of America Mfg. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay is good for the positions involved in maintenance, benefits are good

Cons

No department policies yet constantly attempting to quote them, not to mention changing them to meet the needs of whatever they feel that day.

Advice to Management

grow up

"The best years of my life given to Honda,and they could care less"

Current Employee - Engineer in Anna, OH

Pros

Line associates can make really good money with all the OT offered.
    Free uniforms
    Better than avg health care
    OK 401 plan
    Stable employment

Cons

Favoritism is the rule of law
    The level of stress and amount of responsibility has to be experienced to be believed
    The PPR process is dehumanizing.Ratings are decided well ahead of the actual performance review and you WILL be forced to give poor ratings to associates who deserve better because the bell curve must be met.
    Archaic work rules.I mean really,we are supposed to be excited that we can have a water bottle at our workstation?
    Performers are not rewarded but given the crumbs left over after the managers get their favorites placed in strategic positions that serve to support themselves
    Total lack of respect for injured associates,who are labeled frequent flyers or worse
    Concerted effort to pressure older associates to retire

Advice to Management

Have the common decency to lose the arrogance. It's ok to look me in the eye instead of looking at the floor when we pass each other in the hall. Learn how to be truthful at your own town meetings because it's very obvious that you aren't. Finally,replace the department managers who have abused their associates for so long(yes,you know exactly who they are).

"Honda of America Mfg., Inc. Assembly Equipment Engineer"

Current Employee - Engineering Staff in East Liberty, OH
    Current Employee - Engineering Staff in East Liberty, OH

I have been working at Honda of America Mfg. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The best part about working for Honda are the health benefits. Also, it is a good place to work if you are a hands on type of person. The associates are not unionized so there are very little restrictions as far as what you can and cannot do.

Cons

Some of the challenges of working in the manufacturing plants at Honda is that production associates are promoted to engineering positions. This is difficult for degreed engineers because these associates are not held to the same standards, but yet they are given the same title and compensation. Also, engineers are treated the same or worse than the production associates. They are required to keep the sleeves of their uniforms rolled down at all times, keep breaks to 10 minutes and lunches to 30, cannot wear coats/jackets inside the facility even if they are company issued, there is little opportunity for advancement, wages are low, engineers are required to work the line when man power is low, vehicle purchase program is a joke (about 10% discount), etc... it goes on and on.

Advice to Management

SEE ABOVE